• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably the Crossbell games will be released in Korean? Is this the first example of them being officially translated? Potential hope for English localization and release? Is it time to believe!

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, wonder if this will finally light the fire underneath a Crossbell localization (pls)

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably the Crossbell games will be released in Korean? Is this the first example of them being officially translated? Potential hope for English localization and release? Is it time to believe!
They were released in both Korean and Chinese last year on Vita. Felt like it happened out of nowhere though.

There were Chinese PC ports of the Crossbell games as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious how this is actually being handled. Clouded Leopard publish in Japan and have announced a few Switch titles so I have to assume they're handling these there also. Are they HQ'd in Korea?

Engine could be behind the ports as anyone would expect, but it's not certain. I wonder if Clouded Leopard would have another dev in mind they frequent with to do the ports instead, assuming they were the ones who originated the ports.

Oct 26, 2017
They have Onee Chanbara Origin on their banner which XSEED is localizing IIRC. Maybe they do have a connection for the western releases of the Cold Steel ports... maybe? Onee Chanbara Origin is from D3 of course but still.

Edit: Oh, did XSEED not handle this entry in the west? Googling says no, it's D3 themselves. Thought XSEED did it this time like one entry before.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can has them games in EU too?!

Here's hoping! Hopefully the rights to localisation aren't limiting that possibility or something like that...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we'll finally get the Crossbell games in the west too. I can only imagine how confused most people playing CS4 must be right now.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes absolute sense. i would love to play 3 and 4 but obviously i cant (well i could on original hardware but I dont boot up those system these days) without knowing the story so i have ignored the games so far.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I guess Zero and Ao will be the reason I polish my Korean reading abilities. Whatever it takes to finally play these games. ķ™”ģ“ķŒ…!

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Guess this is how we get the Crossbell games in the west. It a better entry point than CS 3 for switch only fan any way lol.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Errr JP Cold Steel 4 in Summer? We don't have to wait for the compeleted port to get the localized switch version right? Just like Cold Steel 3?

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Sky don't have modern console ports to base it off like the Crossbell games do. They could use the PC ports but they're probably waiting until Falcom does something themselves first.
And IIRC Falcoms CEO said they would rather do a proper remake of the Sky games than a remaster.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sky don't have modern console ports to base it off like the Crossbell games do. They could use the PC ports but they're probably waiting until Falcom does something themselves first.

There were Vita ports, right? I figure we'll get some variant of those if they do something with Sky, but yeah it wouldn't be a super easy thing.

Hopefully whatever we do get has a character portrait toggle

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There were Vita ports, right? I figure we'll get some variant of those if they do something with Sky, but yeah it wouldn't be a super easy thing.

Hopefully whatever we do get has a character portrait toggle
IIRC the rights to the Vita Evo versions of Sky are a mess and split across multiple companies so a localization/port wouldn't be as easy if they used that version.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the rights to the Evo versions of Sky are split across multiple companies so a localization wouldn't be as easy if they did a Switch port of that version.

Oh weird, didn't know that

Curious if DotEmu would be the best option for bringing that era of Falcom PC games over, Ys Origin is pretty much everywhere at this point and I have to imagine that was from a similar framework?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well that certainly makes more sense to have more of that cross-game story available. Hope they come to the west, too.

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I can definitely see myself double-dipping for switch versions now that the whole series will be on there along with the crossbell games

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Bring em out in English, I'll double/triple dip for all of them, even Zero which was boring.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
These are my most wanted Switch games. What are the chances we see this worldwide? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease....

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I'll be waiting until next year to jump into these games. I was tempted to get them on PS4 but a) they never really get a decent sale and b) I prefer these types of jrpgs on a handheld.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding off starting the Trails games until I know the Crossbell games are being localised, but hopefully with even more platform versions coming, it's only a matter of time.

I'm running out of Ys games to play in the meanwhile!

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
LOOK WHO FUCKING CALLED IT THIS MORNING!!!

www.resetera.com

Engine Software (ToCS Cold Steel 3 and 4, and Ys 9 on Switch) did No More Heroes 1 and 2 on Switch

Special note that this is Engine's first work with XSEED (and technically Marvelous Europe who are tagged) who still hold the western rights to Cold Steel 1 and 2. Era, are you pondering what I'm pondering? šŸ¤”
Went to find the thread to say you called it!

Crossbell in the West genuinely looking likely now too.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Can't see NISA passing up on bringing Crossbell over but I am worried about xseed bringing 1 and 2 over to the Switch. Really hope they do. Incredible series.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Is Trails of cold steel a cohesive storyline throughout the 3 games? IĀ“ve been holding out on 3 on switch because I would prefer not to jump in the middle of the story.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Can XSEED still somehow screw this for the West?

I think the PS4 ports of CS1 and CS2 showed that they don't mind publishing ports as long as they don't have to put resources into the porting process itself. This is essentially easy money for them. Unlike Crossbell, which only a party who felt they had a long-term lock on the series might consider taking on, since it'd be very unlikely to break even.

Is Trails of cold steel a cohesive storyline throughout the 3 games? IĀ“ve been holding out on 3 on switch because I would prefer not to jump in the middle of the story.

Yes. In fact, Cold Steel III contains a truckload of characters, locations and references to and from the 5 Trails games that came before the Cold Steel arc and Cold Steel IV is even worse in that respect.