• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
banner.jpg

Platforms: PS4, Switch, PC
Developer: Nihon Falcom
Publisher: NIS America

Release Dates:
JP: September 27th, 2018
US: October 27nd, 2020
EU: October 27nd, 2020
AU: November 6th, 2020
Switch and PC: 2021
Note: Cold Steel 1-3 story details are fair game to discuss openly. Other arcs should be tagged accordingly.

Story

"Now, Rean. Let us begin. Together, we shall write the end to this wretched fairy tale. In ink, black as despair."

The Erebonian Empire is on the brink of all out war. The heroes of Class VII find themselves against the full force of the Empire on the path to domination. Further, the hero of the Erebonian Civil War and Class VII's instructor, Rean Schwarzer, has gone missing. Now, the students of Class VII, old and new, must unite with heroes from all over the continent to create the only chance the world has to be spared from total destruction.

Gameplay

Cold Steel 4 continues with the style of turn based combat that the series is known for. Compared to the previous games, there have been a number of changes.

gameplay.jpg

The Order system, where characters can use Brave Points for special buffs, start weaker now and are upgradeable by finding treasure chests that lead to trial battles, similar to the trial chests in Cold Steel 2. These are combat challenges that require specific party members and push the limits of the combat system. Unlike Cold Steel 2, you can fast travel to these chests from the map so swapping out party members is easier.

Lost Arts return from Cold Steel 2, where characters can use all of their EP in battle in order to use powerful spells to turn the tides of battle. New Class VII can also summon their Soldats for a special move once per battle.

soldat.jpg

Characters

Featuring the largest playable roster in the series so far, Cold Steel 4 is packed full of characters from previous entries in the series, alongside Class VII old and new.

Rean Schwarzer

rean.png

A young man who was born the son of Chancellor Osborne before a grim chain of events led to his adoption into the Schwarzer family.

He is a practitioner of the Eight Leaves One Blade style, and harbors a mysterious power within him. Following the end of the Erebonian Civil War, he was hailed as a hero throughout the Empire and became known as the "Ashen Chevalier," pilot of Valimar, the Ashen Knight.

While leading both new and old Class VII to fend off the crisis that faced Erebonia, he fell prey to the masterminds' schemes, resulting in him losing control over his power and triggering the end of the world.

Juna Crawford

juna.png

The de facto leader of the new Class VII—an energetic girl with a strong sense of justice. She was raised in the formerly independent Crossbell State. She idolizes the Special Support Section and enrolled in Crossbell's police academy to follow in their footsteps, but certain circumstances forced her to transfer to Thors' branch campus instead.

Though initially distrustful of the people who had invaded her home—not least of all their hero, the Ashen Chevalier—her many trials overcome with Class VII helped her grow. She is now determined to fight for a future where Crossbellans and Erebonians can work together, hand in hand.

Now that the Great Twilight has spread throughout Erebonia, however, Juna's fulfilling days at the academy have come to an end, leaving nothing awaiting her but bleak reality.

Kurt Vander

kurt.png

A handsome young man with a strikingly serious personality. He is the second son of the Vander family—a line of Imperial sword masters—and possesses an inordinate level of skill with dual blades.

His family's dismissal from their duties as Imperial bodyguards had left him without purpose, causing him to withdraw from the main campus and enroll in the branch campus instead.

Though initially doubtful of how capable the Ashen Chevalier really was, he begins to take Rean's lessons to heart over time, growing as both a person and a swordsman.

Ash Carbide

ash.png

A troublemaking punk who grew up in the slums of Raquel. Despite his coarse mouth and brazen behavior, he possesses exceptional talent in a variety of fields.

Though originally enrolled in Class VIII of the branch campus, he transferred into Class VII halfway through the year, where Rean and the rest of the class proved influential in helping him discover his own path.

However, he suddenly attacked Emperor Eugent III under the influence of Erebonia's dark curse, sparking a nationwide uproar. Though taken into custody, he was rescued by the Weissland Army under orders from General Aurelia Le Guin; but since her departure from the branch campus, his current whereabouts are unknown.

Altina Orion

altina.png

A seemingly emotionless girl who uses her combat shell, Claiomh Solais, to fight. She was formerly affiliated with the Imperial Army's Intelligence Division under the code name "Black Rabbit," and served as Rean's support and surveillance during his time fulfilling the government's orders.

When Rean was assigned to the branch campus as an instructor, she enrolled under secret orders herself. Her experiences as a student of Class VII deepened her bonds with Rean and her classmates, causing her to slowly develop genuine emotions.

During the incident in Heimdallr, she was resolved to protect her friends at the cost of her life, but ended up losing someone dear to her instead. Lamenting days now forever lost, Altina sank to the depths of despair...

Musse Egret

musse.png

A delicate-looking, mysterious girl from the prestigious Egret family. She originally attended St. Astraia Girls' School prior to enrolling in the branch campus.

The mysterious airs and hidden talents she had let slip during her time as a student were in fact only a taste of her true identity: Mildine Juzelith de Cayenne, niece of Duke Cayenne and heir apparent to the Cayenne Duchy.

Having secretly formed the Weissland Army out of noble forces in order to oppose Chancellor Osborne, she has left the branch campus to continue her work on the main stage alongside her two collaborators, Aurelia Le Guin, the Golden Rakshasa, and Vita Clotilde, the Azure Abyss.

Media

Gameplay Trailer
Story Trailer

FAQ

How long is the game?

If you mainline the game without engaging with side content , the game will be around 50-60 hours. If you go for the completitionist approach, (sidequests, collectibles, minigames and NPC talking) most reports are closer to 90-110 hours for everything.

Can I start with this one?

I would advise against it for this game. Cold Steel 4 is meant to be the finale of the Cold Steel saga (the subtitle in Japan was literally "The End of Saga") and wrap up lingering plot points from the previous two arcs, Trails in the Sky and the two Crossbell (Zero/Ao) games, the latter of which were never officially localized. Cold Steel 4 does assume that the player has knowledge of previous arcs and doesn't do much explaining so it puts Western players in a weird spot. The ideal scenario would be to play those games but the mix of platform availability and localization status makes that difficult. Otherwise you should have at least played the previous Cold Steel games.

What about summaries for the previous games?

NISA have summaries for Cold Steel 1-3 on their Cold Steel 4 website here. There are also recaps for them within the actual game.

Then here are summaries for the Trails in the Sky and Zero/Ao games.
Trails in the Sky FC, SC and 3rd

Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure

Links

Trails of Cold Steel 4 website
Review Thread
Kiseki/Trails Community OT

Last edited:

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Been replaying the series in preparation. Starting Chapter 3 of CS3 today so I'm obviously not going to make it.

I thought I could just hold out and finish a second run of 3 to get that perfect save file for the data transfer but I just saw a video of Rean's ultimate S Craft in English and that was just enough extra hype that I might not be able to finish 3.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Panicked for a second because I haven't quite finished III, but then I remembered the PC release isn't until next year.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every Cold Steel war must begin with the burning of boring school uniforms. That's when you know shit's serious.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Just got my dispatch email for my copy so fingers crossed I can start this tomorrow.
I was originally attempting to replay CS2&3 before this arrived but clearly I've run out of time

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Have been playing a bit over the past few days, just the opening part of the prologue will leave people confused lol. There's a lot to unpack there.

It makes me torn on it as I can appreciate it as a fan, but it also makes me doubt about the mess we're gonna be in with the massive cast.

So far I have been enjoying myself and I'll continue playing a bit as I go along.

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
CS1-3 stuff is fair game, otherwise even the premise of 4 would count as a spoiler. Ideally other arcs should be tagged at least.

Slathe

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know how important the Crossbell games are for 4 - haven't played them but know the general idea of what happens (plus context from 3)? Is more in-depth understanding of those games necessary? Don't particularly want to spend time reading a full recap, plus might want to play them one day so don't want to fully spoil myself to all aspects of the plot.

OP
OP
Kalor

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how important the Crossbell games are for 4 - haven't played them but know the general idea of what happens (plus context from 3)? Is more in-depth understanding of those games necessary? Don't particularly want to spend time reading a full recap, plus might want to play them one day so don't want to fully spoil myself to all aspects of the plot.

Having a general idea and the context from 3 should be enough. There will be stuff that might go over your head but from my understanding, it's not massively important for CS4. The core of the game is still about the CS cast.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Here we go!
My most anitcipated game of the year. According to Amazon, my copy is supposed to be delivered until tomorrow 9pm.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
In my humble opinion it's really important and I'm very much not someone that thinks you have to play the game chronologically.
But CS4 goes ham on crossbell references and has characters continue from events that happened in there.
I think CS1-3 is largely fine but CS4 is very much Kiseki Avengers Endgame in a way.

But everyone has their own feelings on this but I think I'm definitely more on the lax side of things with the fanbase being a strong proponent of chronological order.

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for this, even with then understanding that it does lean into some of Cold Steel's more unfortunate tendencies- I just wanna spend more time with New Class VII, who endeared themselves to me shockingly well. Unfortunately school is kicking my ass right now, so I'm not comfortable starting it just yet. What I will probably do is NG+ a replay of CS3 to recap myself in my spare hours, and start this when I can justify the time. I really can't wait.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Have been playing a bit over the past few days, just the opening part of the prologue will leave people confused lol. There's a lot to unpack there.

It makes me torn on it as I can appreciate it as a fan, but it also makes me doubt about the mess we're gonna be in with the massive cast.

So far I have been enjoying myself and I'll continue playing a bit as I go along.
How are you feelin about VA's for returning characters so far?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone having trouble pre-loading the game on Playstation 4?
It has been an issue since yesterday where the preload is not working. I know it is not PlayStation itself because my Ghostrunner preload started fine yesterday. People have tried to contact both NIS America and Playstation. Playstation says it is the publisher's problem. NISA has been silent thus far.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I love the entire series despite it's flaws and finally played through the Crossbell arc a few months ago. I'm all ready for this and it will be my last current-gen game. I need to finish it by November 10th so hearing people say 100+ hours is worrying... I finished ToCS 3 in about 80 hours.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I can only go by my playthrough for our review but I played on Normal with turbo mode on outside of cutscenes. I did everything you could do (i'm only missing nightmare playthrough and a few bonding trophies) and I finished at 120 hours although I'd say 10 of those are probably idle.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I can only go by my playthrough for our review but I played on Normal with turbo mode on outside of cutscenes. I did everything you could do (i'm only missing nightmare playthrough and a few bonding trophies) and I finished at 120 hours although I'd say 10 of those are probably idle.
Holy shit. I finished III with turbo mode and doing everything in a normal playthrough in 75 hours and this is even longer?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. I finished III with turbo mode and doing everything in a normal playthrough in 75 hours and this is even longer?

Well looking at other reviews, people seem to suggest lower times so i'm not sure how, maybe they didn't do 100%? I found Normal mode really easy and I never had to grind for anything either.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Ok so there is an issue! I was trying to download the preload last night but it would just send me back to the download page and nothing happens.

Yeah I have the same problem. After double dipping cause NISA delayed the limited edition (in Europe), too, so boy am I gonna be mad if they don't fix this by launch day.

I'm in Europe too so the game is supposed to unlock in 7 hours from now. I wasn't gonna play it at midnight anyways but this better work by tomorrow evening.

My best guess is that NISA's staff is off work during the weekend so they are probably just now realizing there is a problem at all. Which... tbh there should be someone checking social media every few hours even during the weekend, especially a weekend before a game launch, but I only work in marketing &pr, what do I know 🙄.

Anyways let's hope this gets fixed within the next few hours.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing for 4 days now (my copy arrived 5 days early) and I'm enjoying it, but I'm definitely seeing problems with it.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Nope. NISA isn't even in the office yet. They won't be in until 1 PM (Eastern) or so supposedly.

There's also rumors of the game being plagued with numerous severe localization issues, but I can't verify that. Maybe someone who reviewed the game can confirm/deny it.