• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I have a feeling if I am done with this before the new year hits then that's an accomplishment. 19 hours in and still on day 1 of the first Field Trip. Now granted, I talk to every npc twice... For every time of the day... And I don't skip any enemies... But still. OK I guess one or two hours of that are just from my ps4 sitting on the home screen and the game for some reason continuing to count the hours, but still.

This might sound like I am complaining. I'm not really. I love it. It's formulaic like CSI, in a way, but then it feels much less so. Good stuff.

On a quick side note, someone gifted one of my friends TitS FC for her birthday today, bless their heart.

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adore Juna and Kurt so far. Cannot wait to learn more about them.

Also Tita's characterization and voice are so spot on.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying the game so far. Can already tell this is easily going to be the best Cold Steel game so far, though that's a low bar to clear in my book.

Really like all the new characters so far, to the point that whenever an old character pops up I just go "oh, it's this guy..."

Anyway, I'll put the game on a back burner for now. It's solid fun, but tomorrow's Call of Duty and The Outer Worlds especially take priority.

Do people actually say 'oof'? 😂

Only when someone says something bigoted out of the blue

Oct 27, 2017
I found an amazing leveling spot in Sutherland. Feels good.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. As someone mentioned earlier, the student's at Thor's feel much more distinct this time round, and I'm loving the new characters. Game looks great on the Pro too, super crisp and clean and it's a nice visual upgrade over the previous games.

It is pretty weird though how downgraded certain characters are in stats. Rean and Altina were level 130+ for me when I completed CS2....now they start in the low single digits with the standard starter character stats. I know it needs to be done gameplay-wise to stop Rean and other's being too OP but in-universe, it's strange that the mighty Ashen Chevalier has stats barely above the kids he is instructing.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Trolololol.
Vita and Abend Time returning and all the direct references to Zero/Ao
and I've only started the first chapter.
Im in love with this game already.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I found an amazing leveling spot in Sutherland. Feels good.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. As someone mentioned earlier, the student's at Thor's feel much more distinct this time round, and I'm loving the new characters. Game looks great on the Pro too, super crisp and clean and it's a nice visual upgrade over the previous games.

It is pretty weird though how downgraded certain characters are in stats. Rean and Altina were level 130+ for me when I completed CS2....now they start in the low single digits with the standard starter character stats. I know it needs to be done gameplay-wise to stop Rean and other's being too OP but in-universe, it's strange that the mighty Ashen Chevalier has stats barely above the kids he is instructing.
I hate that Gale is 80 CP now D:

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
So I keep seeing this Pillowy Mashed Potatoes mira trick, but what I'm wondering is... is there any advantage to investing the time to make this money so early on? Like will it allow me to buy some stuff earlier or anything? Or is it purely for the security of having more mira on hand?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I keep seeing this Pillowy Mashed Potatoes mira trick, but what I'm wondering is... is there any advantage to investing the time to make this money so early on? Like will it allow me to buy some stuff earlier or anything? Or is it purely for the security of having more mira on hand?
I mean some stuff you can buy early on but probably won't have money for like the fishing gear that'll make catching every fish in the first few areas right away, or equipping everyone with new weapons ASAP, but long term it probably won't make a huge difference.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I absolutely adore Juna and Kurt so far. Cannot wait to learn more about them.

Also Tita's characterization and voice are so spot on.

Yeah b, I'm liking Juna and Kurt a lot too. Very strong foundations for their characters set up in the first chapter.

Also, I cannot remember Juna interacting with Lloyd in Zero or Ao and I'm wondering if she was just a small NPC at the time that didn't even have character portrait can someone jog my memory?

Shoutout to the Mero avatar.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
I mean some stuff you can buy early on but probably won't have money for like the fishing gear that'll make catching every fish in the first few areas right away, or equipping everyone with new weapons ASAP, but long term it probably won't make a huge difference.

Awesome, thank you! Didn't even see the fishing stuff. 😂

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah b, I'm liking Juna and Kurt a lot too. Very strong foundations for their characters set up in the first chapter.

Also, I cannot remember Juna interacting with Lloyd in Zero or Ao and I'm wondering if she was just a small NPC at the time that didn't even have character portrait can someone jog my memory?

Shoutout to the Mero avatar.
She wasn't in the Crossbell games. They retconned her in.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any mention if this games sales are meeting expectations?

I cant live another year without the confirmation of CoS4 being localized

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I swear Tita's "I'LL HELP" line of dialogue when you go to upgrade is like 10x louder than any other line of dialogue in the game.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I think I found my new favorite piece of music in the game:

Also, the new "Valimar enters the fray" track had a tough act to follow after CSII Awakening, but I would say they have pulled it off:

So far, the soundtrack doesn't stand out as much and as consistently as the previous Cold Steel games, but when it's delivering, it's fantastic.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
As I said before, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them not to license both, at the same time. Also, speaking of audio, is it just me, or do some of the system sounds lack punch?

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
As I said before, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them not to license both, at the same time. Also, speaking of audio, is it just me, or do some of the system sounds lack punch?
I saw some people complain about music being too quiet compared to everything else, funnily enough, I recall the audio mixing in Ys VIII not being the best either, at least on PC.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I saw some people complain about music being too quiet compared to everything else, funnily enough, I recall the audio mixing in Ys VIII not being the best either, at least on PC.

Maybe it's cause the speakers on my ps4 are further away, but it just seems like the menu sounds, like when I move the cursor or start an attack lack oopmh.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Awesome Avi. Good to see Richard getting some love. Guy is a beast in the Third.

Tita is great in this game. I hope we get to play as Agate at some point.

These Erebonians don't know about fast crafts man.

I wonder if there's stuff related to Richard like Ao did. And there's a possibility he might be involved in Calvard, but yeah people shuffle through locations in these games.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
45 hours later, I'm halfway through chapter 2. Doing all the things, talking to everyone multiple times. Enjoying the game a ton.

PvpQJJH.jpg

My sound settings for English VA. I feel that they're pretty much perfect, so try them out if you're having problems with audio levels.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The background music is pretty low. Not sure what's up . Gonna go a blind playthrough hope the secret stuff is pretty easy to discover

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
FWIW, Ys IX has the BGM volume really low by default too. I didn't think CSIII was as bad as that, but yeah - maybe knock it up a level or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the start of the first field exercise. I'm happy with all of the old faces I've seen already, and I'm already getting attached to a lot of the new students.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you. Particularly for me, Rean's Gale sounds really...flat? Like in the first two games Gale's sound FX sounded sharp but here it sounds like it barely makes a dent.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Audio mixing is weird otherwise, too. I had to drop voice volume to like 20% or something for it to sound right compared to music and sound effects.

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Small 'complaint', but I just found it a little bizarre. Why do some people close their eyes for a few seconds when they speak? It looks so weird.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After playing Ys VIII a couple weeks ago and having to crank up the volume to try to hear wtf anyone was saying, it was definitely jarring when I first started this and felt like I was being yelled at lol. Must be overcompensating.