• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, within the first 30m of the game one of the female characters is lamenting her body "curves" and within an hour they repeated the boobs in face moment. Yep, this is Cold Steel alright.

Such a shame how far the narrative has fallen since Trails in the Sky. And those moments are stark reminders.

oh there's a moment mid way through chapter 1 that's even worse

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, movement is definitely sluggish and the camera is wonky compared to CS1 and 2. I'm running around with turbo mode constantly on, which emphasizes the problems even further.

I feel like the character's drunk when moving around in turbo mode. I had to turn it off, because the imprecision as my character wildly swung around, annoyed me.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well, within the first 30m of the game one of the female characters is lamenting her body "curves" and within an hour they repeated the boobs in face moment. Yep, this is Cold Steel alright.

Such a shame how far the narrative has fallen since Trails in the Sky. And those moments are stark reminders.

i've learned to separate these annoying tropes from the better aspects of the the series. Gotta have the pandering.

And let's not put First and Second Chapter on a pedestal, what with its incest undertones.

:)

Edit: there are also multiple moments in Zero and Ao that made me roll my eyes or groan, so this series isn't without its faults in that regard.

zrk

Nov 2, 2017
So that means like Claire, old class VII, etc are not available permanently at the end in CS3?

You really want to know this?

Not all the characters in your list, no

Guys, don't post endgame spoilers please. The game came out yesterday. 😂

They want to know something that isn't really necessarily story dependent. I tried to be non specific in my answer. Sorry if you clicked reveal by mistake

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol, don't kid yourself into thinking moments where the game indulges in juvenile pandering serves as an example of how far things have fallen since Sky, especially when the Sky games had Olivier flirting with minors and getting exciting over female high school dorms.

Sky fanboys need to take off the rose tinted sunglasses.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
i've learned to separate these annoying tropes from the better aspects of the the series. Gotta have the pandering.

And let's not put First and Second Chapter on a pedestal, what with its incest undertones.
Lol, don't kid yourself into thinking moments where the game indulges in juvenile pandering serves as an example of how far things have fallen since Sky, especially when the Sky games had Olivier flirting with minors and getting exciting over female high school dorms.

Sky fanboys need to take off the rose tinted sunglasses.

You're both right in that Sky wasn't free of pandering either. But I find it much harder to ignore in the Cold Steel games.

And the most important reason for that is the character designs. Every major female character is either a Loli or a combination of massive tits and non existent waistlines.

And the series reached a new low (as far as I know) with Altina's DLC costume. She's 14 according to dialogue in the game and she's practically naked and definitely sexualized in that DLC outfit.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
You're both right in that Sky wasn't free of pandering either. But I find it much harder to ignore in the Cold Steel games.

And the most important reason for that is the character designs. Every major female character is either a Loli or a combination of massive tits and non existent waistlines.

And the series reached a new low (as far as I know) with Altina's DLC costume. She's 14 according to dialogue in the game and she's practically naked and definitely sexualized in that DLC outfit.

There is a reason I ignore DLC outfits. They're not canon to the story anyways.

I think it's just more bothersome because of it being 3D, lbr. Rixia's 3D model is amongst the worst in terms of what you just mentioned and you can bet that she would have looked exactly like that had the Crossbell games been in 3D.

This is a Japanese anime game. As far as those go, this series is harmless. If anything, I am more bothered by Musse's constant sexual harassment of Rean (debatable, but if she keeps this up and he keeps being clearly bothered by it, then that's not okay, girl, it doesn't matter if you're a woman) than any of the character DESIGNS per se.

Again, just my personal feelings.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
So, I just saw the first minor cameo, and while it's something that people who haven't played previous games won't get, it shouldn't really affect their enjoyment of the game. For me, it was an awesome call back that made me laugh out loud.

It was the Capua delivery guy. Glad to see they're doing so well. Was the branch campus built on their land, does anyone know?

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

it's something I really wish the Japanese would cut away from their media. I hate it.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a completely fair perspective to have. I just don't think opening with "this series has really fallen" is a productive conversation starter.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, the character designs are fucking embarrassing and it's really frustrating to see that they just keep getting worse game by game.

Oct 28, 2017
So, I just saw the first minor cameo, and while it's something that people who haven't played previous games won't get, it shouldn't really affect their enjoyment of the game. For me, it was an awesome call back that made me laugh out loud.

It was the Capua delivery guy. Glad to see they're doing so well. Was the branch campus built on their land, does anyone know?
Make sure to do a quest on the free day in chapter 2, the man who wants his pocket watch fixed, that goes into it more.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Re: character designs, I remember hating the idea of Millium when CS first released, and she turned out to be a great character, even if I hated how they had chosen to design her. I'm not gonna lie, that swimsuit DLC costume for Altima made me raise an eyebrow. They're clearly pandering to a specific demographic with these designs. I love these games to death, but it's frustrating.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the character designs are bad at all; it's how they're modelled in-game that's the issue.

If anything, they improved tremendously from the "garish pauldrons" and boring outfits present in the earlier games. It's regrettable for sure, but it's not some big tragedy; JRPGs are trending towards more sexualized designs and Falcom is just reacting to the JRPG market, same as they always have.

Edit: That isn't to say I condone the DLC outfits at all. Falcom sold out hard with them.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: nm, not worth it.

Can't wait to play a bit more tonight after work.

Last edited:

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For North American store users, we're currently getting slammed with emails so responses may be delayed, but we are fulfilling orders as fast as we can and trying to return all request in as timely a manner as possible.

If you have received a billing confirmation from our store, and have not yet received a tracking number by the end of day tomorrow, we invite you to reach out to us via [email protected]

Apologies and thank you for your patience.

----

Still can't believe we're almost there! Been a huge year for us in supporting this release and so much fun meeting with fans all over the globe. So far been really happy with the reviews and hope that we can get it in ya'lls hands ASAP.

Very nice OT, though I wish ya'll would give Kondo-san a break. Dude came out to support the game with interviews and fan events a day after the Falcom anniversary event this summer while in the midst of game development and tanked through all of it, jet lag included, like a boss.
Hey, I wanted to relay that I haven't received anything from my preorder since April. I was billed successfully and I have confirmation for the billing. No shipping notice, or response to any email I sent yet. Is there a way I can escalate this?

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
There is a reason I ignore DLC outfits. They're not canon to the story anyways.

This is a Japanese anime game. As far as those go, this series is harmless

I mean, those are not excuses. Apologies if you didn't mean it that way, but other games also doing it doesn't excuse anything. And it's DLC, sure. But they put that shit front and center, just look at the OP. They use that (and let's be honest here and name it for what it is) pedophilic costume to upsell you on a Deluxe Edition.

I don't think the character designs are bad at all; it's how they're modelled in-game that's the issue.

If anything, they improved tremendously from the "garish pauldrons" and boring outfits present in the earlier games. It's regrettable for sure, but it's not some big tragedy; JRPGs are trending towards more sexualized designs and Falcom is just reacting to the JRPG market, same as they always have.

I don't think it's just modeling. Just open the art book that is bundled with the Early Enrollment edition. Their 2D designs are just like their models: either loli, or Lara croft in the 90's. And then look at the cut ins, those are beyond embarrassing. They didn't need to put Altina in a swimsuit to sexualize her. We all know why she's angled that way and in that super awkward position. Milliums S-craft cut in in 2 as well. And that goes for pretty much all the female characters. Its just that they're just not all children or loli's, so it's less embarrassing, but still plenty so.

I just don't think opening with "this series has really fallen" is a productive conversation starter.

I suppose you're right. I was pretty much just venting. I opened the artbook: shaking my head. Saw the DLC: shaking my head. First hour: shaking my head. Remembering all the shit from the previous 2 games: shaking my head. I had to vent.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
I mean, those are not excuses. Apologies if you didn't mean it that way, but other games also doing it doesn't excuse anything. And it's DLC, sure. But they put that shit front and center, just look at the OP. They use that (and let's be honest here and name it for what it is) pedophilic costume to upsell you on a Deluxe Edition.

Oh don't worry I am not excusing anything. Two wrongs don't make a right after all. I am just saying that I am used to worse, so I have stopped being bothered by it, or I would be bothered way too often.

Now, that sentiment excludes the DLC costumes. I'll be honest, I don't know how bad they are because I didn't buy them and haven't bothered to look into what is available. Now I have a feeling I don't want to take a look...

Anyways, what I am saying is of course there is a threshold of things I can take without getting upset. If child characters are in any way sexualized then that does bother me a LOT. I am already upset by the fact that I can most likely romance Altina with Rean (who, to make matters worse, is 20 now). That's just uuugh, and will probably lead me to avoid some of her later bonding events even though they might otherwise be very interesting.

As such I am glad I have not seen that costume and I now do not want to see it.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I feel the desire to try to get this game cheaper than $60 especially with a few other full priced games I'm interested in coming out in short order any suggestions? I already looked through my physical collection and there's like 1 game I would be able to part with and I probably wouldn't get too much out of it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So Cedric just showed up and he sure became a little shit. I made sure to go out of my way to save a unity attack for him during the Soldat fight.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Make sure to do a quest on the free day in chapter 2, the man who wants his pocket watch fixed, that goes into it more.

Ah, thanks. I do all the quests, but thank you for the heads up on this one.

Also, Azure Siegfried's identity is obvious to anyone who's paying any attention.....it's Mile, from the Gagharv trilogy. It's canon now, baby!

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Siegfried's real identity is...

clkwomnc77u31.png

Last edited:

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I lost it when I saw crow's 50 Mira coin next to his pictures of class 7 😭😭

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had one conversation with him but I'm fairly certain Freddy's a serial killer.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Chapter 1 It hurt my soul to see Altina so depressed and lost, because Rean wouldn't take her with him. Like a dad refusing his daughter :X

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
So, what difficulty are you playing on?

I have decided to start blind with nightmare and pretty happy with my choice. Nothing has been too difficult, but certain encounters are pretty unforgiving of mistakes or tactical miscalculations. One side quest boss in the forest from chapter 1 really gave me trouble, giving me my first restart in battle, as it was just too fast and healed itself a 10K worth of health, forcing me pretty much to get it perfect with the break gauge/turn order management and the appropiate brave orders to maximize damage otherwise it was impossible to deal with as it was able to return to full health again in no time.

I said it before, but the new additions to the combat system are just phenomenal. Couldn't be happier with the combat on this entry (and many other things as well, but I prefer to talk about those after I finish at least a full chapter)

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Idk what's different but I can't get used to how sluggish Rean controls and the camera is wild. Did the first two games control like this and I just don't recall??
No you're not alone I also feel th camera funky to control but I can't pin point why. I made the camera faster and not auto adjust which helped but it still feels off. It was the same with the Japanese version.
Yeah, movement is definitely sluggish and the camera is wonky compared to CS1 and 2. I'm running around with turbo mode constantly on, which emphasizes the problems even further.
Did all three of you play CS1 and 2 on PC like I did? I felt the camera was wonky in CS3 as well and someone suggested to me that maybe the lack of a FOV slider was the cause of it feeling that way, since I know some people who played the Playstation versions of CS1 and 2 say the camera feels the same.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Valerie's pissed. Someone put Valery on her dorm room nameplate. Branch campus amateurs.

I also noticed Rean has one of the few working mirrors in Erebonia. Those celebrity perks tho.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Hey, I wanted to relay that I haven't received anything from my preorder since April. I was billed successfully and I have confirmation for the billing. No shipping notice, or response to any email I sent yet. Is there a way I can escalate this?

If you want to DM me details, I'd be more than happy to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

For anyone else still waiting on tracking, we did have a small technical issue over the weekend that was corrected and for the most part should have received tracking numbers by Tuesday, but even if you haven't for some reason, almost all units have been shipped, so barring issue you should be seeing your copy soon.