• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Played the first couple of hours. Not a lot to say yet since things are just getting started, other than that I'm glad I can finally drop the game to very easy whenever I just want to grind a bit of money or items quick and that I wish we'd gotten a new protagonist.
Rean's the Best.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first couple of hours. Not a lot to say yet since things are just getting started, other than that I'm glad I can finally drop the game to very easy whenever I just want to grind a bit of money or items quick and that I wish we'd gotten a new protagonist.
You'll get your new protagonist... in Calvard. Haha.

Oct 27, 2017
So besides Red Moon Rose are there any books from CS1/2 that are particularly relevant? I read them when the games came out but it has been actual years since then so may as well do a refresher on the more important ones.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
you'll get one during the North Ambria arc!

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the start of Chapter 1. Prologue boss was fairly tough on Nightmare. I'm really enjoying the soundtrack so far, but that's not a surprise.

I did have to laugh at the massive error of them labeling the book on Liberl in the library as "Leman State". No clue how something like that wasn't caught.

You'll get your new protagonist... in Calvard. Haha.

Isn't the next game coming out already having a new protagonist? No need to wait for Calvard.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
My "Early Enrollment Edition" just came in, but I won't be starting it up until after I finish with Azure (mid Final Chapter) and Cold Steel II PC (Act 2 Part 3) since they've been on the backburner since forever. Curse my meandering ways, these should have been dealt with weeks ago!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's what she deserves.
Kt1Iwqv.png

but... she's not best girl maybe second

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TFW you think you can finally start playing and move the story forward but you just fuck around making food and buying rods to make sure you get every fish available ASAP.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Got to the start of Chapter 1. Prologue boss was fairly tough on Nightmare. I'm really enjoying the soundtrack so far, but that's not a surprise.

I did have to laugh at the massive error of them labeling the book on Liberl in the library as "Leman State". No clue how something like that wasn't caught.

Isn't the next game coming out already having a new protagonist? No need to wait for Calvard.
Make sure you DM all errors and typos to our NIS rep. Hopefully they'll get patched and corrected for our PC release? Yes?..........yes?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Just based on how it feels like there is not a lot of buzz, it might be an irrational fear from back when Sky 1 came out and it felt like we would never get 2/

I'm seeing quite a lot of buzz all over twitter. NISA marketed the hell out of the game. I don't think this is going to be another FC situation.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I should get started on the Cold Steel series one of these days, only played the Sky stuff(which I thought was great).

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy in the mail today, won't be starting for a little while as I have to finish my second CSII run. Did play through all the previous games though as part of this, including Zero/Ao. It really did help me appreciate the events and world building a bit more this time around.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm just about to begin the first field trip.

I'm really digging the new break mechanic and brave orders. They fit really well into the older systems like the turn order and link follow up attacks and adds a completely new strategy layer that wasn't there before. It's a shame to hear that they're not well balanced, but it's hardly a surprise with Falcom. Either way, hopefully they become a staple mechanic to the combat in follow up entries.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just saying that NISA has given CSIII more marketing than XSEED ever gave the series in the west is a hell of an understatement. They have:

- Prepped media ahead of the announcement to give the announcement the most possible reach before it dropped
- Immediately had a PAX panel ready to detail exactly what was going into the translation, and who was working on it
- Continually posted updates about the game - trailers, character bios, etc - on their social feeds leading up until launch
- Heavy presence + on-site demo at E3
- Flew Kondo out to the US, again, for both Anime Expo and a press tour
- Besides just Kondo's panel at AX, they also held multiple other panels - including one with a large portion of the English voice cast
- Collaborated with a freaking Cafe + Bakery to hold a pop-up shop for a week, complete with themed Macarons and decor
- Released a demo with transferable saves weeks before launch
- All the merch. Just... all the merch

That's missing things, but it more than makes the point. For most Falcom games, the most that XSEED did was tweet three times and update their twitter banner - a tweet when the project is announced, a tweet for the release date 2 weeks before launch, and a tweet on release day.

NISA quite literally marketed the game as strongly as they could. They stopped just short of giving it a AAA marketing budget.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing costs money, if anything it means the game will need to sell a lot more to be considered successful.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The various Thors students are especially visually distinct this time around. It's really great.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying that NISA has given CSIII more marketing than XSEED ever gave the series in the west is a hell of an understatement. They have:

- Prepped media ahead of the announcement to give the announcement the most possible reach before it dropped
- Immediately had a PAX panel ready to detail exactly what was going into the translation, and who was working on it
- Continually posted updates about the game - trailers, character bios, etc - on their social feeds leading up until launch
- Besides just Kondo's panel at AX, they also held multiple other panels - including one with a large portion of the English voice cast
- Collaborated with a freaking Cafe + Bakery to hold a pop-up shop for a week, complete with themed Macarons and decor

That's missing things, but it more than makes the point. For most Falcom games, the most that XSEED did was tweet three times and update their twitter banner - a tweet when the project is announced, a tweet for the release date 2 weeks before launch, and a tweet on release day.

NISA quite literally marketed the game as strongly as they could. They stopped just short of giving it a AAA marketing budget.
Remember when XSEED released these games and we had to be their marketing team? now we can just sit back, enter Twitter contests and eat mishy macarons, life is good fam

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Amazon fucked up, and I'm not getting the game today. Really annoyed, since I'm going to be away from home tomorrow and I was hoping to take my PS4 and the game with me. This'll probably be the last time I pre-order a game with them.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The various Thors students are especially visually distinct this time around. It's really great.
Jessica and Leonora and Sidney need to be in my class.

I love Instructor Rean; it feels like he was built for this role. Student Rean and his unearned accolades bothered me as much as everyone else, but now it really feels like he earned some wings. He's a diligent teacher who cares for his students and feels the baggage of the "legend" surrounding his character. Something about that just fits. I have absolutely no problems with him as the lead this time around.

Not very far in, but I can already tell this will very likely be my favorite Cold Steel game. The aesthetic and atmosphere and character dynamics all nailed their landings this time around. I am more invested in Kurt, Juna and Altina's relationship more than I was in Class VII's at any point during the first game.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Does monster info carry over to NG+?

edit: is Juna Erika Harlacher? Can't find any confirmation but it definitely sounds like her using a deeper register than Ann.

edit: it is her, yay

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really impressed at how naturally the game is tying in all the references and character appearances.

Just an hour or two into Chapter 2 but i think if this keeps up it'll easily be my favourite game in the series. It's basically combined my favourite elements of the series while also addressing a number of my issues with the first two CS games.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Does monster info carry over to NG+?
I assume it'll be like the last two Cold Steel games where you pick and choose NG+ options based on how many replays you've done thus far? Unless they switched to just allowing you to pick and choose everything as soon as you do NG+ like Tokyo Xanadu. Or maybe something else, not sure yet.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume it'll be like the last two Cold Steel games where you pick and choose NG+ options based on how many replays you've done thus far? Unless they switched to just allowing you to pick and choose everything as soon as you do NG+ like Tokyo Xanadu. Or maybe something else, not sure yet.
It's like Tokyo Xanadu, there are no points this time around and you can pick everything if you want.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's gonna be any students this time who will be as cool as Kenneth. I like that they all have more unique models and a face during conversations.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Think its CS5 ala Sky TC then a new entry in Calvard seems to be the trend.

Yes, I'm interested in the series future, and since the 3rd Sky game was one of my favorites, maybe Erebonia arc will go with a bang?

And everyone says that the next arc should be calvard, but I would like another duology in a smaller country. North Ambria (The mercenary country which Sara is from) for example.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Really like the upgraded character models for everyone. From regular town NPCs to members of Class VIII and IX. It's great.

Now I want to see how a Tokyo Xanadu 2 would look without having to take Vita into consideration.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

You're not wrong that NISA's efforts to drum up support for the series outstrips what XSEED had done in the past, but I think it was a little more than just a few tweets. Like the occasional streams they would put on (in lieu of, you know, a demo or something) and various trailers. And getting Durante to help with the Cold Steel PC ports was kind of a big deal at the time.

I guess that pales in comparison to hosting panels at anime conventions in the eyes of some.