• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Falcom has announced The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki (Trails of the Beginning) for PlayStation 4, the latest entry in the Trails series of The Legend of Heroes games. An "ambitious title and turning point that will lead to the series' conclusion," it is planned for release in summer 2020 in Japan.

Here is an overview of the game, via Falcom:

This is the end, as well as the beginning—.
The whole of the Empire was weakened in the disaster known as the "Great Twilight." Thanks to the efforts of the heroes, the land of Zemuria pulled through the crisis, and a new fate has been spun, moving the story towards its "end point."

The game is set on the continent of Zemuria after the Great Twilight. The three main characters and their actions all over the continent cause troubled destinies to become intricately intertwined.

Hajimari-no-Kiseki-Ann_12-18-19_001.jpg

Hajimari-no-Kiseki-Ann_12-18-19_002.jpg

Source: Gematsu

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
50 playable characters. 3 separate routes, taking place in different parts of the continent.

I don't even want to begin thinking about how large the script must be...

Also, uh, that thumbnail is a *massive* spoiler for Sen IV.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My Boy Rean is one of the MCs again.
This game is going to be massive, like holy shit.

50 playable characters. 3 separate routes, taking place in different parts of the continent.

I don't even want to begin thinking about how large the script must be...

Also, uh, that thumbnail is a *massive* spoiler for Sen IV.

like holy shit, thats where my mind went immediately. I wonder how long they have been working on something this ambitious. you also the "Cross Story" system that allows players to switch between three routes at will to depict stories happening in parallel from different perspectives.
This game is aiming to be the fabled Sen 5rd come to live and closing off all the arcs finally

i also realized who that was in the thumbnail, like holy shit.
I havent genuinely been this excited for a game in such a long time. granted this thing is most likely coming 2021 to the US, im excited.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO, these aren't "possible spoilers" for previous games. It starts by telling you how Cold Steel 4 ends.

As I said in the other thread, between this and the Crossbell ports, this is all super exciting.

50 characters across 3 scenarios is gonna be a lot of people. I wonder what the ratio of old/new characters will be. I assume that's the one off untitled game they had communicated visuals on earlier, so we already know some of them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My Boy Rean is one of the MCs again.
This game is going to be massive, like holy shit.

like holy shit, thats where my mind went immediately. I wonder how long they have been working on something this ambitious. you also the "Cross Story" system that allows players to switch between three routes at will to depict stories happening in parallel from different perspectives.
This game is aiming to be the fabled Sen 5rd come to live and closing off all the arcs finally

i also realized who that was in the thumbnail, like holy shit.
I havent genuinely been this excited for a game in such a long time. granted this thing is most likely coming 2021 to the US, im excited.
This is more of a gaiden arc setting up for the new one, at least according to what Kondo said a few months back. I don't really understand how this game can sound as big as it is, since the Trails team was split in half.
None of it. CS4 is not released outside of Japan, and this is all CS4 spoilers in there.
I know, I literally had no idea what to even say outside of 'new game announced', and yeah...

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
This series is too big. I don't even know where to start lol.
That's never a hard question to answer
store.steampowered.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on Steam

Hailed as one of the largest, longest and most meticulously detailed turn-based JRPG series of all time, this first chapter in the ongoing Trails saga sets the stage for what's quickly become Ys developer Nihon Falcom's most popular and best-selling franchise in their entire 30+ year history.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
So is this "Sen the 5rd" or a new arc?
I don't really want to read the article without having played Sen IV first

Jun 23, 2019

That's never a hard question to answer
store.steampowered.com

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on Steam

Hailed as one of the largest, longest and most meticulously detailed turn-based JRPG series of all time, this first chapter in the ongoing Trails saga sets the stage for what's quickly become Ys developer Nihon Falcom's most popular and best-selling franchise in their entire 30+ year history.

Phew. Looks intimidating. Thanks guys.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Sounds like they're going the Sky 3rd route and applying it to both the Crossbell games and the Erebonia games at the same time.

But damn, 50 characters?

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I thought CS4 was the end of all trails, not just the Erebonia arc. Is this the starting point of a new arc?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This series is too big. I don't even know where to start lol.
Trails in the Sky trilogy (Sky FC [First Chapter], Sky SC [Second Chapter], Sky 3rd) is part 1
Crossbell duology is part 2
Cold Steel quadrilogy(!) is part 3

This new game appears to be a bridge between the previous games and the next series of games.

Think of it as the Japanese RPG equivalent to a big fantasy novel series like ASOIAF or Wheel of Time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Excited about the potential structure change. I'm so sick of the formula already.

e: well, I guess The 3rd was a big structural change too and they still went straight back to the formula with Zero and Ao and CS, but still. Maybe for the next arc we'll get something a little different.

Last edited:

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is more of a gaiden arc setting up for the new one, at least according to what Kondo said a few months back. I don't really understand how this game can sound as big as it is, since the Trails team was split in half.

Oh i can agree to this too, granted we got 3 locations, which im speculating to be erebonia, crossbell, and calvard. this is for sure going to end some arcs while transitioning to new ones.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they going with the "3rd" route, can't wait for overall Ouroboros arc to actually move faster.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Xseed brings over Zero and Azure while NISA continues the new installments. Or something. I just want to play them all.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Seeing all those "HUGE SPOILERS IN THE SCREENSHOTS AND THUMBNAIL" comments.

Honestly, not having played CS4, and being totally blind, I've got no idea of the context in those pictures and who are some of these characters so. I think people screaming SPOILERS are the one giving away the fact that this is spoilery.

Chances are by the time of CS4's release in the west I'll have completely forgotten those pictures anyway lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all those "HUGE SPOILERS IN THE SCREENSHOTS AND THUMBNAIL" comments.

Honestly, not having played CS4, and being totally blind, I've got no idea of the context in those pictures and who are some of these characters so. I think people screaming SPOILERS are the one giving away the fact that this is spoilery.

Chances are by the time of CS4's release in the west I'll have completely forgotten those pictures anyway lol
It's also stupid because these are the images Falcom has chosen to reveal the game. If using the logo shot they put in a press release is a spoiler, then go yell at Falcom. News sites are going to run that and should be expected to.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I hope Xseed brings over Zero and Azure while NISA continues the new installments. Or something. I just want to play them all.

Not sure how XSeed will be able to handle Zero and Azure when most of the staff that worked on Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel 1 and 2 are no longer employed for them.

I think it's significant that Hatsuu is no longer working at XSeed and she was the major force for getting the Trails titles localized and I don't think I need to get into why no one talks about Wyrdwad anymore. Hell some of the these folks basically collaborated with NISA for Cold Steel 3's localization.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how XSeed will be able to handle Zero and Azure when most of the staff that worked on Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel 1 and 2 are no longer employed for them.

I think it's significant that Hatsuu is no longer working at XSeed and she was the major force for getting the Trails titles localized and I don't think I need to get into why no one talks about Wyrdwad anymore. Hell some of the these folks basically collaborated with NISA for Cold Steel 3's localization.
Wyrdwad had nothing to do with Trails localizations anyway, aside from assisting with FC near the end to meet deadlines. Not sure why he always gets brought up.

XSEED likely wouldn't work on a Trails game because the new games (the ones that are going to sell well) are going to NISA. Realistically Zero and Ao aren't going to sell great if they get localized, people already try to justify skipping the Sky games (and recently there has been the whole "anti-gatekeeping" thing helping with that justification) and there's nothing really different about Crossbell that's going to make them big hits. Those would be big and expensive projects for XSEED that would mostly just benefit NISA's marketing for the series going forward, since the whole thing up to their latest release would finally be available in English.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if XSEED did Ys IX. But I don't expect them to do that either. NISA x Falcom is the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this thread.

Beat cs3 waiting for cs4. I trust no one here in this thread. Someone is gonna spoil something.
Anyways, what I read so far seems ambitious as fuck. Cs3 already kinda had a bunch of playable characters, but this seems to go to the extreme lol.

Any word on cs4 localization?

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wyrdwad had nothing to do with Trails localizations anyway, aside from assisting with FC near the end to meet deadlines. Not sure why he always gets brought up.

XSEED likely wouldn't work on a Trails game because the new games (the ones that are going to sell well) are going to NISA. Realistically Zero and Ao aren't going to sell great if they get localized, people already try to justify skipping the Sky games (and recently there has been the whole "anti-gatekeeping" thing helping with that justification) and there's nothing really different about Crossbell that's going to make them big hits. Those would be big and expensive projects for XSEED that would mostly just benefit NISA's marketing for the series going forward, since the whole thing up to their latest release would finally be available in English.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if XSEED did Ys IX. But I don't expect them to do that either. NISA x Falcom is the future.
yep. hopefully though something works out to get CS 1 and 2 on the switch through NISA. i would love it or at least have XSEED bring them to switch.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this thread.

Beat cs3 waiting for cs4. I trust no one here in this thread. Someone is gonna spoil something.
Anyways, what I read so far seems ambitious as fuck. Cs3 already kinda had a bunch of playable characters, but this seems to go to the extreme lol.

Any word on cs4 localization?
just keep this mindset, dont question things. as someone who beat CS IV, you are better that way. dont click spoiler tags or anything.

word on the street is that NISA has huge announcements at PAX in Jan, if anything it may drop there. Nothing official though, so hopefully next month is the time

Oct 25, 2017
just keep this mindset, dont question things. as someone who beat CS IV, you are better that way. dont click spoiler tags or anything.

word on the street is that NISA has huge announcements at PAX in Jan, if anything it may drop there. Nothing official though, so hopefully next month is the time

I'll be honest, I hate this. I genuinely do.

This series is so amazing and the twists are literally half the fun for me.

But it constantly feels like I'm one step away from ruining a secret.

I want to discuss the game with others, go on forums, read the kiseki wiki, but I can't. I have to be constantly on guard.

I really hope one day the English version comes out and the next Japanese one hasn't been released.

That would be nice.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Trails in the Sky trilogy (Sky FC [First Chapter], Sky SC [Second Chapter], Sky 3rd) is part 1
Crossbell duology is part 2
Cold Steel quadrilogy(!) is part 3

This new game appears to be a bridge between the previous games and the next series of games.

Think of it as the Japanese RPG equivalent to a big fantasy novel series like ASOIAF or Wheel of Time.
Are all these availabe on a single console? Or what one has to do with a PS4 and Switch to get into the series?