• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I never would have guessed that Cooking Mama of all franchises would ever be embroiled in all of this kind of legal weirdness.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Unless things changed in the last few days. Even though they took it off the eshop the price is normal if you purchase through their website got mine for $40 a few days ago. It's the reason why Amazon decreased in price as well compared to the initial shock

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's mind boggling that they're still advertising and planning on selling the game despite the threat of legal action. they're just making things much worse for themselves.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some indie dev should do a Cooking Mama clone. I was excited for this game lol

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017
What are the odds the license gets renewed in the end after both parties settle?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
A physical copy of this is going to become a major collectors item, right?
Yep. I have to think even if they come to an agreement, what goes on the cart might be different so this version might be rare still. It doesn't sound good that they said they terminated the contact though.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Planet proceeded to release Cooking Mama: Cookstar without addressing all of the rejections and without Office Create's approval.

We have also learned that Planet and/or its European distributor has been promoting an upcoming European release of a PS4 version of Cooking Mama: Cookstar. Office Create has not licensed Planet (or any other entity) to create any Cooking Mama games for PS4
what were they thinking? hey, let's just do it, they won't notice? lol

Dec 5, 2017
From what I played of my copy it seems just like every other Cooking Mama game I've ever played. It didn't seem low quality.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Such a bizarre situation. You can still preorder the PS4 version on Amazon UK for the 'release' on the 28th. The Switch version was in stock a couple of weeks ago and being sold, then went to being not knowing if they would get it back in stock, to now being temporarily out of stock. I bought a copy off of ebay for normal price when the first topic was posted and it's sat in my drawer now. Whatever happens it's certainly a neat curio with a story.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I should buy this just to have it in my collection but it's steep at $60. Still, you'd figure this game could be worth something in the future, no?
While I don't think that there's going to be a lot of people attempting to get a full set of physical Switch releases, thanks in large part to the proliferation of boutique publishers printing a couple thousand copies of loads of indie games, I do think the sheer bizarre story around it will ensure that a sealed physical copy of Cookstar will hold its value after a couple of years.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Dw4gWWK.jpg

Look what I found guys. I bought it in China's SARs, and there are copious retail copies. It only costs around $41~44 USD. In all honesty, I can't bring myself to be scalper. It's a good money-making opportunity considering how oblivious retail stores are. Even so, it still feels wrong to be consumed by greed and resell it with a high markup. I hope whoever wants a copy for their collection can get one at a fair price.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Cooking Mama Creator Says Cookstar Release 'Unauthorized', Is Considering Legal Action - IGN

Office Create has released a statement explaining some of the reasoning behind Cooking Mama: Cookstar's bizarre release.
IGN said:
At time of writing, Cookstar's European distributor, Koch Media still lists a PS4 version of the game, with a release date of May 12 and a price of ā‚¬39.99. IGN spoke to a representative Koch Media last week, who was unable to confirm whether the PS4 version was still coming, despite that listing.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I expected an injunction to stop sales of the title. Maybe they see there is demand based on the unusual release and will attempt to sell what copies were initially printed?

As a collector I already grabbed a copy due to the unusual release and story behind this title (and I own several titles in the IP).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I placed an order for a copy on the site, though I would not be surprised if it gets cancelled since legal action might be taken.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I discovered this because

This is a clusterfuck like only 2020 can bring to you.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a copy off their site. Even if the game doesnt flip well at least I get a decent Cooking Mama game.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Haha. Is this gonna become a super rare/expensive game? I'm tempted to buy it and keep it sealed.
If Office Create does take legal action, I am sure Planet Entertainment will no longer be able to sell (or will decide to stop selling) copies directly to end users on their website or to Amazon/GameStop/other other stores.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The main question I have right now (other than "How did they think they would get away with this?") is... What exactly is wrong with the game that the rights holders thought it needed more time in the oven?

It just looks like every other Cooking Mama game. Are there half as many recipes? Do the motion controls fail on every level? Are the in-game ratings broken in some fundamental way?

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
The main question I have right now (other than "How did they think they would get away with this?") is... What exactly is wrong with the game that the rights holders thought it needed more time in the oven?

It just looks like every other Cooking Mama game. Are there half as many recipes? Do the motion controls fail on every level? Are the in-game ratings broken in some fundamental way?
I think it more so they didn't get a final say on the game before it released and Office Create is mad about that. I imagine in it's current form Office Create would probably be okay with the game but they never got to put in their final input and give the go ahead for release.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, the last time it was limit 2. Now it seems to be limit 1.