• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

(Not the full duel but the first part of it)

From the animation (thanks in part to Ray Park's amazing motion capture), the cinematography... Goddamn it just looks amazing. Striking an amazing balance of not going as over the top while still being fast.

This whole arc has felt like it's been edited like a movie and it for sure feels like one. This is top tier Star Wars!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Maul vs Kenobi in Rebels.

How about we put it at a tie and say that Maul get's both of the best duels of the franchise?

goddamn that is beautiful. is that for sure motion capture cause it sure feels like it. had a big grin on my face at those hops maul was doing around :42.

Yup.

www.flickeringmyth.com

Star Wars: The Clone Wars utilized Ray Park in mo-cap suit for Darth Maul lightsaber fight in season 7

One thing that has excited Star Wars fans almost as much as as the next film is the return of the much-beloved animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars for a seventh season to complete Dave Filoni’s story. The series was an unfortunate casualty of Disney’s buyout of Lucasfilm and formally ended...

"I'm trying to find ways to make this show better, to give you guys more than you've ever had before, and so one of the things I thought would be great is as much as the Obi-Wan vs. Maul fight was brief [in Rebels], I wanted this fight to be big. I wanted this to be an epic lightsaber fight. We haven't done too many of those in Clone Wars over the years so this one had to be among the best, if not the best we did. The best way to have a great lightsaber fight is go talk to somebody who has done lightsaber fighting. I know Ray Park from over the years and I said 'Ray, wouldn't it be great if, now that I've done more live action stuff, why don't we just suit you up in a mo-cap suit and have you be Darth Maul again?' So when you see Maul fighting it's gonna be really Maul fighting.'"

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Why does he have legs again?

Why is this "new" episode when he's still alive and not old facing off with Kenobi?

Why is Star Wars now Kingdom Hearts?

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I feel more every time Ashoka picks up a lightsaber than I ever did with the new trilogy. They really created something special with her character. I just want to see more of her in everything.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
Maul is such a great character. Might be my favorite in the whole franchise.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I love the new movies, but Siege of Mandalore is giving us cooler set pieces than the new movies have. This duel is up there.

Ih1IhPJ.jpg

aitCCmt.jpg

TWelyX3.jpg

It also helps that the character dynamics between Ahsoka and Maul are surprisingly strong and interesting. It's a prequel style fight but with more depth behind it than most of the fights.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why is this "new" episode when he's still alive and not old facing off with Kenobi?

The Clone Wars takes place between II and III and got an extra season for Disney+. He has robot legs. The Maul vs. Old Ben fight is in Rebels, which is two decades later.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

He has mechanical legs, like Vader.

The rest I'm not quite sure what you're confused about to the point of invoking Kingdom Hearts, lol. It's a new episode of Clone Wars, the series that takes place between AotC and RotS (which was also canceled several seasons ahead of its planned finale, which is finally being made now as a D+ series).

His final duel with Obi-Wan is in Rebels, a series that takes place nearly two decades later.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darth Maul keeps on being low key, one of the best Star Wars villains.

Oct 27, 2017
The Clone Wars takes place between II and III and got an extra season for Disney+. He has robot legs. The Maul vs. Old Ben fight is in Rebels, which is two decades later.
He has mechanical legs, like Vader.

The rest I'm not quite sure what you're confused about to the point of invoking Kingdom Hearts, lol. It's a new episode of Clone Wars, the series that takes place between AotC and RotS (which was also canceled several seasons ahead of its planned finale, which is finally being made now as a D+ series).

His final duel with Obi-Wan is in Rebels, a series that takes place nearly two decades later.
This takes place during the clone wars. He fought Obiwan in rebels (before ep 4)
because he has robot legs

he fought Kenobi many times and had his final battle with him

this is nowhere near as stupid
Ok thanks everyone. I didn't see the actual mechanical legs, and thought there was some weird time-y wime-y bullshit that happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Maul is such a great character. Might be my favorite in the whole franchise.
It's crazy how Clone Wars/Rebels took him from pretty much literally not even an actual character, to one of the most interesting and compelling characters in the Star Wars universe. Thank God George decided to bring him back, and it didn't wind up as pointless/stupid as the previous attempts at it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man you can just see the budget increase for this. shit's literally movie quality

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Ok thanks everyone. I didn't see the actual mechanical legs, and thought there was some weird time-y wime-y bullshit that happened.
Shortly after he was brought back he had big ol' crazy droid legs (and for a brief period before that he was bolted on to some ridiculous spider droid body thing that was a holdover from some dumb non-canon comic or something), but a little while later he wound up with more or less normal prosthetics that he kept for the rest of his story.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing this is kind of making this depressed he didn't stay as the main villain of the PT.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
ahsoka's gotta be, what, top 1 star wars characters of all time right?

The back flips are rad.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished this episode and holy fuck was it good. This whole siege of mandalore arc has been incredible.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Maul timeline basically goes like this:

-Taken away from Dathomir to be trained as a Sith
-Cut in half in TPM, gets shipped to a junk planet where he gets robot spider legs and survived because of his hatred
-Found 10 years later by his brother Savage, who gives him somewhat more normal robot legs and nurses him back to health
-Lures out Obi-Wan to get revenge but is defeated, ends up making an alliance with the Death Watch Mandalorian faction to help them take over Mandalore, gets more humanoid robot legs and takes over a number of crime syndicates to form the Shadow Collective
-After organizing a coup on Mandalore, Maul secretly rules the planet for a brief time and kills Duchess Satine (Obi-Wan's lover) until Sidious shows up, kills Savage, and captures Maul
-Broken out of prison by the Shadow Collective loyalists, but Sidious lets him escape on purpose to lure out Maul's mother, a pseudo-dead Nightsister (witch) named Mother Talzin who Sidious views as a threat. Maul returns to Dathomir with an imprisoned Count Dooku whom he plans to sacrifice so Talzin can absorb his strength and reconstitute her body, but Grievous kills Talzin. Maul escapes back to Mandalore and retakes control
-This duel happens,
Maul escapes Mandalore during Order 66
-During the Dark Times, Maul works from the shadows running the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate. At some point it collapses and Maul goes searching for a way to defeat Sidious on Malachor
-With the unwitting help of Ezra Bridger, Maul manages to access a Sith temple on Malachor containing a holocron that he thinks holds the secret to defeating the Sith. He is beaten in a duel with Ahsoka but manages to get Ezra to open up two synching holocrons that reveals part of the secret. He later meets Ezra again and gets the other half of the secret, giving him a vision of Tatooine and Kenobi.
-Maul hunts down old Obi-Wan on Tatooine and figures out that he's guarding someone who will be the key to destroying the Sith. Obi-Wan kills him in a duel. Maul dies hoping that Luke will avenge him by destroying the Sith.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
hmmm.
It looks good but it's so stylistically different to the other light-saber fights I've seen in the series. It's jarring.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

-Cut in half in TPM, gets shipped to a junk planet where he gets robot spider legs and survived because of his hatred
-Found 10 years later by his brother Savage, who gives him somewhat more normal robot legs and nurses him back to health
-Lures out Obi-Wan to get revenge but is defeated, ends up making an alliance with the Death Watch Mandalorian faction to help them take over Mandalore, gets more humanoid robot legs and takes over a number of crime syndicates to form the Shadow Collective
-After organizing a coup on Mandalore, Maul secretly rules the planet for a brief time and kills Duchess Satine (Obi-Wan's lover) until Sidious shows up, kills Savage, and captures Maul
-Broken out of prison by the Shadow Collective loyalists, but Sidious lets him escape on purpose to lure out Maul's mother, a pseudo-dead Nightsister (witch) named Mother Talzin who Sidious views as a threat. Maul returns to Dathomir with an imprisoned Count Dooku whom he plans to sacrifice so Talzin can absorb his strength and reconstitute her body, but Grievous kills Talzin. Maul escapes back to Mandalore and retakes control
-This duel happens,
-During the Dark Times, Maul works from the shadows running the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate. At some point it collapses and Maul goes searching for a way to defeat Sidious on Malachor
-With the unwitting help of Ezra Bridger, Maul manages to access a Sith temple on Malachor containing a holocron that he thinks holds the secret to defeating the Sith. He is beaten in a duel with Ahsoka but manages to get Ezra to open up two synching holocrons that reveals part of the secret. He later meets Ezra again and gets the other half of the secret, giving him a vision of Tatooine and Kenobi.
-Maul hunts down old Obi-Wan on Tatooine and figures out that he's guarding someone who will be the key to destroying the Sith. Obi-Wan kills him in a duel. Maul dies hoping that Luke will avenge him by destroying the Sith.
For such a throwaway villain in the movie, Maul ended up with an epic tale with Clone War and Rebels.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-This duel happens,
For such a throwaway villain in the movie, Maul ended up with an epic tale with Clone War and Rebels.
I would straight up say he has become as good, if not better, than Vader as a villain. He should have been the Vader of the prequels, and via TCW they fixed it so while he didn't really fill that role due to how many other villains there are -- he became just as great a character instead of an action figure.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
6 eps in to Clone Wars and I can tell I'm in for a rough time until I get to the good stuff lol.

Also, should I watch release order and see parts of Rebels before the last seasons of Clone Wars or does it not matter?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 eps in to Clone Wars and I can tell I'm in for a rough time until I get to the good stuff lol.

Also, should I watch release order and see parts of Rebels before the last seasons of Clone Wars or does it not matter?

At this point, watch all of TCW first. There's some very minor Rebels cameos in the final episodes of TCW but it's not worth putting off the finale and skipping to another show just to recognize them.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019

Eh, there are some better episodes later on in season 1 alone and Rookies (episode 5) was one of my favorites, personally

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes it's very up and down through season 3, though each season gets progressively better. The quality is pretty consistently high from 4 on with only a few missteps. At this point I would hold off on watching Rebels until after watching all of TCW as otherwise it would spoil a few things in the final season.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maul and Ashoka are a great pairing. Unwitting pawns on different sides of a bigger game.
It's definitely an interesting parallel they've found themselves in. I actually was surprised when
She said she would help Maul (until he fucked it up by saying Anakin was going to turn, which she doesn't want to believe). Like I was genuinely shocked. I still think they might team up before the end of this. Would be a great moment.