• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Money !

Studios reach a point where they are looking for IPs to adapt them into TV shows/movies (and for platform like Netflix, HBO max, etc...)
Sony Pictures has literally a gold mine of IPs right next to them at Sony PlayStation

Doing something with great quality will send a signal for the different platforms I guess
Sony Pictures TV will be able to sell great IP/TV shows to Netflix/Warner Media (via HBO), etc...

I get the money play...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I mean this is probably best you could ask for for an adaptation. Just wary of game adaptations in general. Wish they were working on an original project instead.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I love its in HBO.
I love that Neil is developing it.
Mazin had a sketchy career before chernobyl, but in addition to chernobyl he has a genuine love for the game, he talks about it all the time, I am sure he was the one that championed this within HBO and is all in, so his passion and chernobyl makes me feel he is the right man for the job.

Cannot remember when something was so right place, right time right people like this seems to be. I am insanely hyped for this. I will wait years and consume it in 2 days.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This seems unnecessary. The world doesn't need another cynical, bleak zombie show. The Walking Dead has been past its prime for years now.

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Fantastic news. Chernobyl was one of the best bits of TV last year. Really hope this gets the treatment it deserves. Incredibly interested to see who they case as Ellie and Joel.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It they can somehow translate the tension and dread of the '90 seconds on the roof' or 'Flashlights/batteries dying out' into TLOU clicker encounters; that would be amazing.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Chernobyl vibes + The Last of Us + HBO. Sign me up. This gets me way more excited than any big budget movie would.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you think Hugh Jackman would agree to do a tv show? I can see Kaitlyn Dever as Ellie tho

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
When it comes to casting I really hope they'll get the actors from the game where possible and when it fits. Someone like Troy Baker playing Joel or Ashley Johnson playing Ellie in a TV series probably wouldn't work, but plenty of the other actors would work just fine in my opinion.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So, will it be about Joel and Ellie??? And it is going to be canon to the games?
It will simply cover the events of the first game with maybe some Part II stuff. From the article
The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While yes I know people will know the ending already since it's adapting the first game... I'm happy this is on HBO cause it means one episode per week and so we can have proper good old discussions!

Interested to see if Mazin can make lightning strike twice more than any personal interest in a TLOU series tbh

Smart from Sony regardless. Could have the next Walking Dead.
Speaking of walking dead: I would be shitting myself with if I was amc... this show has the potential to not only steal whatever audience they have left, but also make the walking dead look way worse then how it looks currently. It's ironic too because I specifically remember a last of us trailer being a focal point during a season finale for the walking dead.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Kind of disappointing that it's not an original story based on the same universe, but oh well. Let's wait and see, it might be worth watching. The people involved are great, at least.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I am excited, never played much of the game because I can't do sneaking in games at all, but I loved the concept