• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Does this add any possibility of the Nathan Drake Collection getting some love? 4K60 mode plz??

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I started a new playthrough yesterday, I noticed the slow loading times and thought it was like that already lol

Oct 27, 2017
this would be my guess. You have to assume they've spent time on all their first party games to make sure BC works well, and then perhaps they're patching for obvious issues like long load times. In this case maybe its CPU bound for a specific reason that could be bypassed, or it was unnecessarily reloading the entire area?

I wonder if there was a caching process on PS3 that was still being done on PS4, which didn't need it. I'd love to read a statement from Naughty Dog about what specifically changed but if it was some legacy issue they overlooked until now, they probably wouldn't want to admit the mistake.

I'm just glad it'll boot quickly next time I want to show someone the game.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I read only a few hundred mb - so definitely not that I would think!
Yeah, I'm thinking that it likely did something with CPU size assets decompression. Maybe TLOU PS4 used a single CPU thread for this (being a PS3 port and all) and that changed to 6-8 now? Something along these lines.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Do patches like these generally wipe speed runner records?

They will separate the leaderboards probably. Patch 1.110 and Patch 1.11 runs.

It sounds like they just need to remove loading screens from the timing. On PC it's easier since you can get programs that will detect when the game is loading and automatically pause the timer. I don't know how you'd do it on PS4 without manually counting the loading screens.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Here's his reaction upon first seeing how fast it loads that section with David

anthonyi9j2w.png

bruh

PS5 version gonna load in the blink of an eye

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Wow, that is actually crazy. Would love to here what is actually going on here. If they focused on just getting a solid port to PS4. Possibly after working on U4, TLOU2, that they made a lot of improvements to loading and with these patches pre PS5, made those changes here too

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive speedup but we have to wonder why it took so long before for a remaster of a last gen game. The load times are worse than many many current gen games.

Eh they're not that bad, and the game only loads once unless you restart. Plenty of current gen games involve more looking at loading screens.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
If all the games in the PS Plus Collection is getting the update then that means

OMG!!!! Bloo....Days Gone is gonna get the patch too! wow!!!! I'm excited!!!

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, initial level loads were very long, and after that there were zero loads as the game streamed everything in.

TLOU2 and U4 have the same approach with the long initial load. TLOU2 also improved death respawns, they were very fast.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's that Kraken decompression in action?
Ugh.
For Kraken decompression to be in action your assets has to be compressed with Kraken in the first place.
For old titles this means that you have to recompress all the assets first and provide them in a newly compressed format.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit thats impressive.

Really hope they are going all in on a PS5 patch or remaster of TLoUPII.

Cutscene Models in gameplay
RT GI for Objects Characters (grounding them in the baked lighting)
RT reflections if there is horsepower left
4K60 Mode (4K 30 with RT reflections?)
Improved Load Times
LoD pushed out
and maybe some increased texture resolution for weaker objects/scenes.

really, if we get anything like this, or even close, this year, it alone will make my PS5 worth every cent.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Ugh.
For Kraken decompression to be in action your assets has to be compressed with Kraken in the first place.
For old titles this means that you have to recompress all the assets first and provide them in a newly compressed format.

Yep and that has likely not happened given the size of the patch.

So, unless the old method was extremely inefficient, which the new one simply fixes, presumably the new method hypothetically may pertain to prioritizing which assets get loaded first and at which minimal level data loaded can the game transition into gameplay with the rest of the data being continually streamed in the background?

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
It has to be some sort of multithreaded technique that runs on all cores, is more efficient at priority loading and/or even runs on both the CPU and GPU at once.

I don't believe they did not optimize loading at all in the first game. It has got to do with whatever tech they've developed since then. They need to tell us about this.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit thats impressive.

Really hope they are going all in on a PS5 patch or remaster of TLoUPII.

Cutscene Models in gameplay
RT GI for Objects Characters (grounding them in the baked lighting)
RT reflections if there is horsepower left
4K60 Mode (4K 30 with RT reflections?)
Improved Load Times
LoD pushed out
and maybe some increased texture resolution for weaker objects/scenes.

really, if we get anything like this, or even close, this year, it alone will make my PS5 worth every cent.

We may get a remaster launching with MP in a bundle for 69.99 for ps5. Since MP will be sold separately on ps4. If there are going to be an free upgrade it will be a straight forward higher res and frame rate upgrade with all assets untouched.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So, unless the old method was extremely inefficient, which the new one simply fixes, presumably the new method hypothetically may pertain to prioritizing which assets get loaded first and at which minimal level data loaded can the game transition into gameplay with the rest of the data being continually streamed in the background?
As I've said it probably has to do something with the number of CPU threads being used during loading. Another possible but less likely scenario is them moving the decompression from CPU to GPU.
At least I can't think of anything else which they could've patched ahead of PS5 launch which would result in such gains on both PS4 and PS5.