• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Shrug. People shouldn't be so salty then.

If it's not your GOTY that's completely cool, if it's not your GOTY and you feel the need to mention it in every thread and talk about how it's undeserving and it winning is an affront to gaming and bla bla bla? Yeah hold that L.

Yes, read this before posting about how your game was the REAL goty lol

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
How? Lol
It's polished 3rd person stealth/shooter gameplay template that's been around for a couple generations.

Fantastic level and encounter design go a long way. That's not to mention the work done on the enemy AI/routines and creating a playground that allows battles to organically evolve and play out differently every time. It's readily apparent if you play on a higher difficulty mode and die often enough that you reload and retry encounters. It truly is a marvel.

Then there's the audio and visual feedback which are top of the class. It all comes together to form what I consider one of the all-time best third-person shooters in the gameplay department. No question. It's up there with Vanquish and MGSV.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Shrug. People shouldn't be so salty then.

If it's not your GOTY that's completely cool, if it's not your GOTY and you feel the need to mention it in every thread and talk about how it's undeserving and it winning is an affront to gaming and bla bla bla? Yeah hold that L.
Yeah, not liking it is obviously reasonable, there's plenty not to like in the game. However, the fact that some people get offended whenever TLOU2 gets any praise or recognition is honestly pathetic.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Crunch has a place in the discussion. I would just point out two key things with regards to what should and shouldn't win awards. One, if we're going to start eliminating nominees for crunch there wouldn't be an awards show. Unfortunately that's how bad it is. And two, the team already got forced into crunch. Taking their GOTY award away isn't going to change that.

I think things aren't as black and white as some are making it out to be. No one wants to reward crunch, but this game is maybe the most accessible game of all time. Personally, I'm not willing to argue against a GOTY award for the game that actually cared about people with disabilities. Not after Sekiro won GOTY last year.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic level and encounter design go a long way. That's not to mention the work done on the enemy AI/routines and creating a playground that allows battles to organically evolve and play out differently every time. It's readily apparent if you play on a higher difficulty mode and die often enough that you reload and retry encounters. It truly is a marvel.

Then there's the audio and visual feedback which are top of the class. It all comes together to form what I consider one of the all-time best third-person shooters in the gameplay department. No question. It's up there with Vanquish and MGSV.

Absolutely. There is so much freedom to the gameplay systems. What really stands out for me is how action was able to evolve in a scramble. There would be times where I was able to make some desperation plays that absolutely paid off big. Diving shots, ducking through a window, grabbing enemies and using them as a shield, drawing zombies onto enemies, stealthily flanking enemies as they are distracted by said zombies… There is just so much that can happen in any given encounter. Moreover, the level design gives you that same satisfaction as RE4 (which clearly acted as an inspiration). Though you can do so much more in TLOU2.

The gameplay isn't what makes me love the game. However, it certainly helps that the gameplay is absolutely top-notch.

Sometimes our opinions aren't going to align with everyone else's. I rolled my eyes every time BotW received another award in 2017. I thought it was a good game, but I also thought it had a lot of problems (while there were a ton of games that I thought were better that released that year). Sometimes you just have to make peace with the fact that you saw it differently and that is all there is to it. In this instance a miss for you was a bullseye for a ton of other people.

Dec 11, 2017
Staggeringly good game. I won't forget that play through. The story, the attention to detail, and the gameplay was rock solid all the way through.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Agree or disagree, but don't start dragging others down. I'm seeing people in this thread essentially hating on those who are happy/unhappy with the winner. No matter how you feel about TLOU2 winning, it's a video game and your opinion is valid. Don't be a jerk.

"Haha love seeing the salt" or "haha just wait until it wins Era's GOTY, the haters will be angry"

Yikes.
I agree. I'm not taking digs at anyone here. All 6 games nominated were great. Part II just happened to be considered the best of them overall, but not everyone will agree. I didn't like breath of the wild, but I know I'm in the clear minority there.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Well-deserved, game is an absolute masterpiece. And the salt from the manchildren makes this even tastier. Congratulations to Naughty Dog.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
lol at some ppl using the " but it helped us get through a pandemic" as though that mediocre sim is as important as a vaccine that is actually saving lives.

Just because animal crossing and a few netflix shows kept someone occupied during a pandemic does not mean they deserve an award. Come on now.

samnevermore

Jun 24, 2020
happy for naughty dog. they really deserved this. part 2 was an amazing game. in my opinion one of the best game in history. it was perfect

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
👍🙏❤️
9CSWeNf.gif

"If Druckmann's promotion news could bring the 'saltiness' in people, wait until their 'third-person shooter cinematic narrative' win awards" I said.

49ZN7I.gif

Dec 22, 2018
Great game. It wouldn't be one of my top picks for the year (I'm looking at you 13 Sentinels, Hades and Yakuza: Like a Dragon) but I can't demy it was an emotional rollercoaster and a fantastic experience. Naught Dog continues to impress.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol at some ppl using the " but it helped us get through a pandemic" as though that mediocre sim is as important as a vaccine that is actually saving lives.

Just because animal crossing and a few netflix shows kept someone occupied during a pandemic does not mean they deserve an award. Come on now.
What, didn't you know the vaccine is made of blendered Animal Crossing cartridges mixed with water?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
While I've been very critical of Part II's story, I can appreciate that the writers were reaching pretty damn high for a video game narrative. It's ambitious and bold, with incredible performances and animation. If it couldn't be Hades, this is only other nominee that should have taken it imo. Least of all the utterly generic Ghost of Tsushima.

Plus the gameplay of TLOU II is incredible, so it's pretty deserving based on that alone.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018

This. Like people going on about how it helped on an 'emotional level' like what? Yeah it had talk shows and? Way more people played cod warzone coz it was free and among us coz free to bond and spend time with others compared to animal crossing during this pandemic. Animal crossing isn't even top 5 most watched games on youtube this year. For most people they were entertained elsewhere.

What ac achieved in sales and outreach is huge compared to anything in the franchise+most of all games released this year. People are doing it a disservice by going this 'emotional help' way of whatever justification they want regarding 'it should be goty'. Goty cant and will never satisfy everyone, it is a choice amongst many. So accept and move on?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I came back in to add that not only is it my game of the year-but it's by far the game of the generation for me...

But I have to say that I wasn't prepared for "Animal Crossing should have won because there was a pandemic"

like holy cow

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Deserved, several games could have won and they deserved equally, but it just can be 1 winner. Realy great games this year.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
This. Like people going on about how it helped on an 'emotional level' like what? Yeah it had talk shows and? Way more people played cod warzone coz it was free and among us coz free to bond and spend time with others compared to animal crossing during this pandemic. Animal crossing isn't even top 5 most watched games on youtube this year. For most people they were entertained elsewhere.

What ac achieved in sales and outreach is huge compared to anything in the franchise+most of all games released this year. People are doing it a disservice by going this 'emotional help' way of whatever justification they want regarding 'it should be goty'. Goty cant and will never satisfy everyone, it is a choice amongst many. So accept and move on?

Why the hostility? If Animal Crossing served as an oasis for some people why shouldn't it be their goty?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As it should. Well deserved. I would've been happy with any of the GOTY nominees winning this year, but TLOU Part 2 is still my GOTY and it had the most impact on me this year. Just an incredible experience from start to finish.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Its my personal game of the year.

I personally think its bonkers Ashley didn't win for performance. Which is not to take anything away from Laura Bailey, her performance as Abby is still fantastic and deserving of recognition. But what Ashley Johnson does in TLOU2 is the best performance I have ever seen in a video game.
Obviously Abby winning will piss of a certain group of people even more than Ellie winning though, so at least there is that side benefit.

Def agree with this. Loved Abby and Laura did a really great job, but Ashley was on another level and prob also the best performance I've seen in a video game. Also thought maybe they'd do a tie.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Why the hostility? If Animal Crossing served as an oasis for some people why shouldn't it be their goty?
I dont think my post was hostile. Why argue writing long passages about it on some other game's victory thread? It appears incredibly salty. Read my post I ended with goty cant and will never satisfy everyone. Whats the point of bemoaning and saying it should've been this coz pandemic etc etc? Is tlou2 everyone's goty? No. Is ac? No. No game ever is. Everybody has their opinion. But few here seem too emotionally vested.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Glad to hear it. FF7 was my goty but TLOU2 was my second choice. Can't wait to play the ps5 remaster.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It won the Player's Choice award at TGAs, it probably would have won if TLOU2 wasnt released this year. People love the game, myself included
I think Hades would have won otherwise honestly, but we'll never know. Either way, one of the toughest years ever to win with all the games that came out.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I platinumed GOT and I really felt a lot about the third act...but I too feel the game was pretty generic overall.

Nah the world and side quests set it far apart from things like Assassin's Creed. I can't even get through a generic open world game but did every in GoT

I think Hades would have won otherwise honestly, but we'll never know. Either way, one of the toughest years ever to win with all the games that came out.

Who knows, but Ghost of Tsushima was a major new AAA IP so it stood out to so many people for that reason alone