• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What a sweep that was! Game of the generation for 2 consecutive generations! What an achievement!

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well-deserved. Incredible game. Probably my second-favorite games of the generation after Bloodborne.

The gameplay is legitimately at the top of the class in its genre along with MGSV.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
it's the VGA's they only care about triple AAA titles, that has been the case for years, like i will continue to bring this up because it bares repeating they put a monster hunter world dlc in the category for best rpg, when the year had plenty of rpg releases that could have been nominated, they also put a realm reborn expansion in that same category over full releases. indies and b titles get the shaft most of the time even when they are better than the games they put in or award

That's because a large jury of game journalists vote, and that's the case for most publications with their own awards as well.

TloU2 won TGA GOTY but will win most of the Gotys this year as well. As it should

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
well deserved, i have issues with parts of it and i feel the first is a tighter and better overall game, but its one of the most engrossing experiences this gen for sure that had me on edge from start to finish. and the performances and facial animation are a cut above everyone else, congrats to ND and everyone who worked on it.

and fuck yes let the salt flow from all the haters too, they can all eat shit and get fucked

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. No. Everything bad.

It even won game direction, which everyone who knew how to read and how direction works, should know that this game shouldn't even be nominated.
When you talk down on people and then don't understand the difference between game direction and game production :lol

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
But in the year 2020 there was better games, it was the one time to show that big budget movie like games aren't the instant win. That the year of release actually meant something.

Animal Crossings was the game that brought people together while hundreds of thousands died. Think about that.

they may be better games to you, but people liked the last of us 2, shocking. The people that voted for it that had a criteria also thought so.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The game I (in my all knowing esteemed opinionhood) wanted to win didn't win so therefore the entire show is bias towards a certain type of game despite a long list of games that don't fit my bullshit criteria having won in the past :(

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Druckmann has balls of steel to want to hug and have drinks with people who were overworked and crunched to build TLOU2.
You realize he isnt keeping them hostage and making them work for no pay right?

I do not condone crunch time work but its an issue in the game industry. Don't try to pain this as a ND issue.

Also these people work together for years. His comment shouldn't have people throwing shady at him for wanting to have a good time with them. You are making an assumption they dont like him or something. Dont take his comments personal.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
But in the year 2020 there was better games, it was the one time to show that big budget movie like movies aren't the instant win. That the year of release actually meant something.
The voters don't agree with you and it would be a much dangerous path to go down to have the judges vote for an agenda, not a game.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Animal Crossings was the game that brought people together while hundreds of thousands died. Think about that.
The award is for best game, not "game that got us through a pandemic." Please stop using a fucking virus that has killed thousands to push this weird ass agenda about TGA.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt this debunked the hospitalization part ?

and on direcction

unknown.png

Yeah it was debunked. People are just being sore losers on twitter. It's obvious how much of an impact TLOU2 had in gaming this year and it's commercially and critically successful.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What's sad is the fact that what you probably consider 'real' games couldn't beat a "movie".
It's the fact that the category is games, all games, not just big flashy games. 2020 years from now will have animal crossings talked about how it got millions through a pandemic. It makes no sense

all people care about is sticking it to 4chan when it comes down to it. Not what the games did in the year.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The award is for best game, not "game that got us through a pandemic." Please stop using a fucking virus that has killed thousands to push this weird ass agenda about TGA.
This so much. Also every game nominated was great, i don't get why people are so mad about TLOU winning this (useless for us) award.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Prey and Disco Elysium (not considering the ones in open-world games). Don't like them as much, but they're pretty much perfect in design and hold up from start to finish, unlike many other great games. That's not to say (for me) there's an insane difference between those and other 10 games. It's just those seem a little bit better to me.
I still need to play these games after all the praise given to them lol.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Thank god I don't have to hear about alt-right types claiming a victory off TLOU2 losing.

Game is still the strongest I've played this year, what a journey.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the fact that the category is games, all games, not just big flashy games. 2020 years from now will have animal crossings talked about how it got millions through a pandemic. It makes no sense

all people care about is sticking it to 4chan when it comes down to it. Not what the games did in the year.

1) Nintendo is not available everywhere
2) Its a game for which you pay 60%
3)To play the game you need a 300$ device

If criteria is helping millions through a pandemicc then give it to a game which is free to play , available to all platforms

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
That would have been amazing too tbh

I had it in my mind that it was a 60/40% between TLOU2 and Animal Crossing.

The ERA tears would have been on another level

Like two people I know were amazed to see him presenting the GOTY award and I was just like "He is there to keep pushing Tenet...." but yeah they would have been enraged/insulted to see AC being given the award by HIM. Only TLOU2 deserves THAT honor by the "genius and visionary" Christopher Nolan lol

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
But in the year 2020 there was better games, it was the one time to show that big budget movie like games aren't the instant win. That the year of release actually meant something.

There's some merit for any one of these games winning, and I'd understand the justification for any, including Animal Crossing, for your stated reasons (I think it's a very well-made game, but the huge lack of QoL features soured me quickly). It just happens that more people enjoyed TLoU2 this year, and there's nothing wrong with that because the game is fantastic, even if you're someone who prefers gameplay over storytelling. It excels on multiple fronts.

Would it have been nice to see Hades win as an indie rogue-lite title? Sure, but I'm not going to lament it because plenty of other games were also deserving, including the winner. That it was nominated in various categories (including a couple of wins) is a huge honor. I'm happy to see Hades pick up wins from individual publications as someone who loved it, so it's not being ignored at all.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not sure what else there is to say, but it's easily one of the best games I've ever played and I'm happy for the team. It's a bold and moving experience.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

2020 years from now people won't talk about the pandemic+AC...

And TLoU2 will win the most gotys this year, not only TGA

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Once again the industry rewards Crunch, malicious acts to employees, and other bullshit in the name of praise. Crunch from Late 2018 is absolutely unacceptable and should have been a disqualifier.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you didn't like the story, it still some of the best TPS gameplay you'll ever find. It's leagues ahead of other games in terms of AI and animations. It's not like it's entirely unforgivable that a game like this won.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this forum will ever be able to discuss the short-comings of TLOU2 without crazy kneejerk reactions/hyperbole (either way).

Last Jedi Redux.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't disagree that TGAs skews to one type of game, TGAs has previously given GOTY to Overwatch, BOTW and Sekiro, which are decidedly not cinematic action games.
I suppose I should have said third person, big budget action games. I don't really care about the choices skewing a certain way personally as all awards are subjective by nature. This show is designed for the AAA scene. Just interesting that it's easy to predict the large studios winning. What's irritating to me is if this wants to be the "Oscars of gaming," then this needs to be less about reveals and more about the actual games as an art form. The majority of the announcements were just rapid fire without even reading all of the nominees. Obviously that won't bring in any viewers, so it won't happen.