• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm on record as saying that TLoU2, from what we've seen so far, seems like 'the most juvenile game in a while' so this is really the time when Naughty Dog needs to convince me that it isn't. I really don't want this to turn out to just be some grimdark revenge fantasy; to me such a game would never be able to live up to the prior's themes and story.
i don't see how this is the most juvenile game in awhile when all we've seen is ellie playing a guitar, and her in some kinda mixer where she kisses a lass, and a gameplay demo of her going around surviving/killing folk a la what the first game was like. not to mention, there's games releasing with dumb fan service, which in my book, in infinitely more juvenile than anything they've shown here.

grimdark revenge fantasy, while admittedly not the most adult genre one could get into, isn't automatically a juvenile genre. See The Prestige, Munich, Unforgiven, etc.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all of ND seemingly tweeting out "get ready/soon", I have a feeling this will be more than just a trailer/gameplay clip.

We're getting a release date + multiplayer reveal and maybe beta as well

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't see how this is the most juvenile game in awhile when all we've seen is ellie playing a guitar, and her in some kinda mixer where she kisses a lass, and a gameplay demo of her going around surviving/killing folk a la what the first game was like. not to mention, there's games releasing with dumb fan service, which in my book, in infinitely more juvenile than anything they've shown here.

grimdark revenge fantasy, while admittedly not the most adult genre one could get into, isn't automatically a juvenile genre. See The Prestige, Munich, Unforgiven, etc.
You're forgetting the 'Want to watch this lady get her stomach cut out while she dangles upside down? No? Oh well uh here it is anyway"

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I'm on record as saying that TLoU2, from what we've seen so far, seems like 'the most juvenile game in a while' so this is really the time when Naughty Dog needs to convince me that it isn't. I really don't want this to turn out to just be some grimdark revenge fantasy; to me such a game would never be able to live up to the prior's themes and story.

I'm not worried at all. I'm expecting something like the movie "I Saw The Devil".

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
I honestly think were going to be coming from this game not liking Ellie, i think she will be extremely unlikable in this game and that interests me

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You're forgetting the 'Want to watch this lady get her stomach cut out while she dangles upside down? No? Oh well uh here it is anyway"
forgot about that trailer. not sure how that refutes my point earlier though. violence in this game is supposed to be more visceral and make you feel uncomfortable, which is a whole other subject altogether.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Truth is it's adult as it gets grim dark revenge stories have been around for centuries .
People going to complain about it being violent but that was a given.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
In celebration of this here is compilation of gameplay of TLoU Remastered from an absolute madman who is clearly angry about things:

Let me know if any has gameplay videos that tops this...

...And the people who still shout "MOVIE!" at every ND game obviously don't feel stupid at all for perpetuating a plain lie.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Revenge is juvenile is a weird take, when we've had so many good revenge stories, ranging from The Count of Monte Cristo to Oldboy

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'll love the single player, but I'm very much looking forward to the the multiplayer. There hasn't been a MP that's scratched an itch like TLOU, and I'm ready to move on to better controls and graphics already.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In celebration of this here is compilation of gameplay of TLoU Remastered from an absolute madman who is clearly angry about things:

Let me know if any has gameplay videos that tops this...

Some will claim this only looks good because it's staged, but if you've played the multiplayer enough you'll have experienced players who are simply that good, not just against AI, but actual people. Their situational awareness, strategy, movement, aiming precision, survival instincts, multitasking, timing with explosives etc, are just on a different level. Case in point examples like this.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Some will claim this only looks good because it's staged, but if you've played the multiplayer enough you'll have experienced players who are simply that good, not just against AI, but actual people. Their situational awareness, strategy, movement, aiming precision, survival instincts, multitasking, timing with explosives etc, are just on a different level. Case in point examples like this.

Just by the titles they sound insane. Man I really miss Last of us multiplayer, underrated as hell.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
My mind is ready to be blown

Undoubtedly going to see Clickers at this point now right?
Can't wait to see how the new mechanics (prone, crawling, hiding) are going to come into play with Clicker fights

Plum

May 31, 2018
You still haven't made single compelling point on why it's juvenile, can you explain your point any better than you have? I am not trying to be mean or reductive to your reasoning, it's just really flimsy at the moment and I fail to see it. If all it is is that it may be a revenge story, and a violent game, I still can't see why that's considered juvenile.
Alright then, tell me exactly what you find juvenile in the three trailers released so far without assuming the story.

I see what we've been shown as juvenile because it presents extreme ultra-violence without giving it the weight that such violence truly needs. When broaching such extreme displays of violence my personal view is that doing so without proper justification is juvenile as it shows that you're doing it for gratuity's sake instead of any thematic purpose. That's not to say being juvenile is bad (many of my favourite pieces of media are juvenile as fuck) but, unlike your DOOMs and your Wolfensteins, it's clear that TLoU:P2 wants to be seen as more than that.

In the E3 demo we see a happy dance scene (which I won't deny being a great scene) followed by minutes of contextless violence that, to me, is purely there so, like in games such as DOOM, we can get excited; it's showing off an animation system much more than it's showing off the game's deep themes. Then there's the PSX trailer which was literally just contextless violence from a cult we don't know against a bunch of characters we don't know; there's no nuance or thematic value there so the only thing one can really get out of it is shock value. The original trailer is very much a teaser, but if we assume the "them" that Ellie is referring to are the cultists we see later on then the trailers taken by themselves show a revenge story with an unrelated bit of ultra-violence in the middle.

I'd rather not go on explaining much more because, really, this is all subjective and practically no-one here has any more information than anyone else. Like I said in the original post I'll be looking forward to these trailers and previews to see if they can show the 'more' that I want to see from the game. I'm here simply because I want the marketing to do what it's generally intended to do: to sell me on this product that I'm curious about.

Except I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm literally para-phrasing what you said.

To quote you.

"If all that's 'justifying' the violence is a story is "X killed Protagonist's Y. Go kill X. Become mad in the process." with nothing more to really add 'depth' to it then, to me, the story will be as juvenile as DOOM"

It's an ND game, of course, there's going to be more depth to it, but that doesn't mean you or others will necessarily appreciate or like what that depth is or entails. Ultimately, if it doesn't matter to you how good the characters, events, writing, emotive quality etc are, and instead the mere fact of it being a basic revenge tale in your opinions automatically means it's as juvenile as DOOM, that's on you.

At the end of the day, a good narrative in any medium is more about the execution than it is the innovation of the narrative itself. Some of the best cinematic or literary works ever coined are not remotely original, but have just been executed incredibly well.

Note how I said "if," multiple times there, something I wouldn't have done had I been judging the final game as you're implying I am. I'm not going to automatically ssume that the characters, events, writing, emotive quality, etc will justify a basic revenge tale in the way you're assuming they will, and I'm not going to pretend that I'd 100% prefer that the story was about something 'more' than revenge because, to me, revenge in its most basic form is rather juvenile.

And I've never said anything about originality so I'm not sure why you're quoting me as doing so. My comparisons to DOOM and Mad Max were thematic and tonal comparisons.

I'm not worried at all. I'm expecting something like the movie "I Saw The Devil".

Whilst I did really like that film I can't exactly say that it was as thematically interesting to me as other revenge films such as Oldboy or The Revenant.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I know I'll love the single player, but I'm very much looking forward to the the multiplayer. There hasn't been a MP that's scratched an itch like TLOU, and I'm ready to move on to better controls and graphics already.
Amen to this, I too feel the same way about the MP and have sunk an ungodly amount of hours into it.

Think I might have put in more than 100 hours in the MP mode alone. It's still amazing to this day.

But god did it get my blood boiling at times.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
What happened to agreeing to disagree?

Aaaanyway, that's what the tweet from playstation UK meant? People thought showing a power button might be a tease of ps5 (can't find the tweet now)

Q-Train

Designer at Zenimax Online
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
tenor.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I see what we've been shown as juvenile because it presents extreme ultra-violence without giving it the weight that such violence truly needs. When broaching such extreme displays of violence my personal view is that doing so without proper justification is juvenile as it shows that you're doing it for gratuity's sake instead of any thematic purpose. That's not to say being juvenile is bad (many of my favourite pieces of media are juvenile as fuck) but, unlike your DOOMs and your Wolfensteins, it's clear that TLoU:P2 wants to be seen as more than that.

In the E3 demo we see a happy dance scene (which I won't deny being a great scene) followed by minutes of contextless violence that, to me, is purely there so, like in games such as DOOM, we can get excited; it's showing off an animation system much more than it's showing off the game's deep themes. Then there's the PSX trailer which was literally just contextless violence from a cult we don't know against a bunch of characters we don't know; there's no nuance or thematic value there so the only thing one can really get out of it is shock value. The original trailer is very much a teaser, but if we assume the "them" that Ellie is referring to are the cultists we see later on then the trailers taken by themselves show a revenge story with an unrelated bit of ultra-violence in the middle.

I'd rather not go on explaining much more because, really, this is all subjective and practically no-one here has any more information than anyone else. Like I said in the original post I'll be looking forward to these trailers and previews to see if they can show the 'more' that I want to see from the game. I'm here simply because I want the marketing to do what it's generally intended to do: to sell me on this product that I'm curious about.

You haven't really explained why any of what they've shown thus far is juvenile. This notion that violence without context (all things considered) is somehow immature is beyond my understanding.

This is a sequel to a violent game after all.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I am HYPED yo!

giphy.gif

Can't wait to re-watch whatever they show a gazillion times and then go watch other people react and be hyped a gazillion times

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
My hope is the Multiplayer in the UK does not get censored like last time.

Single player should be fine like the first game though. But with Sony ya never know......

Also i want Grounded mode from the start.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Revenge is juvenile is a weird take, when we've had so many good revenge stories, ranging from The Count of Monte Cristo to Oldboy
That wasn't my take, though. Revenge is just one of many thematic bases for a story (war, romance, family, etc), there's nothing inherently bad or good about it. It's when revenge is used in its most base form (x does something bad to protagonist. Go kill x) as justification for a whole bunch of spectacle that it moves into being juvenile, and that's what I've seen so far from this game's marketing.

For more clarification take Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbour. Both are WW2 stories about War yet one is a timeless classic showing the connections between people, the impact of war across generations, and the brutality of man and the other is a Micheal Bay film.

I'm sticking with my prediction, Valentine's Day.

1) Release TLoU:P2 on Valentines Day
2) Mass seperations as people decide to play the game over having quality time with their partners
3) Seperated people means fewer shared PS4s
4) More people go out and buy PS4s

It's genius!

You haven't really explained why any of what they've shown thus far is juvenile. This notion that violence without context is somehow immature is beyond my understanding.

This is a sequel to a violent game after all.

That's because it's an opinion. If you think violence without context is perfectly mature then fine, but I find it to be juvenile and that's especially true if the violence is being presented as something more than what it actually is.

And it being a sequel to a violent game has nothing to do with it. TLoU1's E3 demo was still somewhat juvenile to me but compared to TLoU2's marketing so far the money shot of a guy getting shot in the face is nothing.

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Think I might have put in more than 100 hours in the MP mode alone. It's still amazing to this day.

But god did it get my blood boiling at times.

Tatical Shotgun?? Lol

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd much rather have this reveal be all about MP and nothing about SP. I already know I'm getting the game and will enjoy the SP. I would rather not have anything spoiled from the story. MP on the other hand can show a bunch of gameplay which is what I want to see... How has the game changed since TLoU1. Still pumped though!!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
That wasn't my take, though. Revenge is just one of many thematic bases for a story (war, romance, family, etc), there's nothing inherently bad or good about it. It's when revenge is used in its most base form (x does something bad to protagonist. Go kill x) as justification for a whole bunch of spectacle that it moves into being juvenile, and that's what I've seen so far from this game's marketing.

For more clarification take Saving Private Ryan and Pearl Harbour. Both are WW2 stories about War yet one is a timeless classic showing the connections between people, the impact of war across generations, and the brutality of man and the other is a Micheal Bay film.

1) Release TLoU:P2 on Valentines Day
2) Mass seperations as people decide to play the game over having quality time with their partners
3) Seperated people means fewer shared PS4s
4) More people go out and buy PS4s

It's genius!

That's because it's an opinion. If you think violence without context is perfectly mature then fine, but I find it to be juvenile and that's especially true if the violence is being presented as something more than what it actually is.

And it being a sequel to a violent game has nothing to do with it. TLoU1's E3 demo was still somewhat juvenile to me but compared to TLoU2's marketing so far the money shot of a guy getting shot in the face is nothing.

I mean how can you say it is without context when? We have seen vanishingly little of the games narrative thus far an the first game was very violent. Now saying the violence presented is too graphic for your tastes is fine - I find it a bit too much from what has been shown though I will likely play the game - but terming it juvenile seems an arbitrary use of that word. I mean I would apply that to say the treatment of sex in game of thrones TV series, where there is more than enough examples of including gratuitous scenes, using rather perverse cinematic direction, etc, etc.