• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The developers literally watched snuff films (or, at the very least, videos of horrible real life violence) as inspiration and, considering what we've seen so far, the game will no doubt be filled with brutalisation similar to that. Lets not forget that the game's second trailer was a contextless cutscene that just showed who-we-now-know-as-Abby getting tortured and nearly hanged.

As for whether women characters should be immune; no, they shouldn't, at least not in logic alone. However if a woman says that they're uncomfortable with it then you should listen and not try to question or downplay it. At the end of the day every single thing in a game is the result of a choice made by someone in real life, and as such we should be asking ourselves not "what should make sense in-universe," but "was the developer right to put this in?"

Not pointing at you in particular but there's been too many instances around, especially in this thread, of otherwise 'good' people suddenly trying to shut down and minimise the voices of marginalised groups because they dared to criticise or express concerns this game. It's tiring for sure, and I feel really alone in trying to call this behaviour out :(

I remember that stuff, about ND devs watching snuff. I guess I just view it in my own way when it comes to how game portrays that kind violence. Glorification of it is big part of it for me when gauging it as in sense all action games do deal with snuff. For e.g. how latest Tomb Raider games glorify and really highlight in very graphic way every gruesome way they figured out for her to die is very snuffy and tacky. There really is no good reason to do slow-mo death scene that lingers and zooms in on Lara e.g. being impaled by multitude of spikes in graphic manner.

In comparison Abby vs. Ellie fight is tame in my eyes and is person receiving severe beating, nothing we haven't seen in many games before. Graphical progress does add to effect of the scene.

I don't remember much if anything from TLOU 2 trailers so maybe I need revisit, but I would apply to them same thinking as to cases above. How game deals with violence it's showing. One of those things that will be interesting to find out, have ND found that line and not crossed it so e.g. torture of Abby doesn't become just glorification of that kind violence and just to show off it?

My intention isn't to tell anyone that they have no right to feel in certain way about this kind topic. I do hope they have made wide take on how these kind scenes make people fell and weighted those vies and opinions when it comes to implementation and use of these scenes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I remember that stuff, about ND devs watching snuff. I guess I just view it in my own way when it comes to how game portrays that kind violence. Glorification of it is big part of it for me when gauging it as in sense all action games do deal with snuff. For e.g. how latest Tomb Raider games glorify and really highlight in very graphic way every gruesome way they figured out for her to die is very snuffy and tacky. There really is no good reason to do slow-mo death scene that lingers and zooms in on Lara e.g. being impaled by multitude of spikes in graphic manner.

In comparison Abby vs. Ellie fight is tame in my eyes and is person receiving severe beating, nothing we haven't seen in many games before. Graphical progress does add to effect of the scene.

I don't remember much if anything from TLOU 2 trailers so maybe I need revisit, but I would apply to them same thinking as to cases above. How game deals with violence it's showing. One of those things that will be interesting to find out, have ND found that line and not crossed it so e.g. torture of Abby doesn't become just glorification of that kind violence and just to show off it?

My intention isn't to tell anyone that they have no right to feel in certain way about this kind topic. I do hope they have made wide take on how these kind scenes make people fell and weighted those vies and opinions when it comes to implementation and use of these scenes.

It's clear that the game goes a lot further than just people beating each other up. Joel's death scene literally looks like some of the gore I unfortunately stumbled on back in my 'still getting the hang of the internet' days, and with everything else there's a layer of authenticity that I simply haven't seen in games before. We don't know everything else is in the game, of course, but from what we've already seen I'd say that this game goes much further when it comes to representing realistic brutal violence than any prior game (even The Last of Us 1) before it.

The Tomb Raider games definitely are bad in this regard. Lara is tortured so much in those games that it honestly creeped me out after a while, especially since the games are mostly just slightly more dour takes on the whole Indiana Jones/Uncharted archetype. However I don't think that really has any bearing on TLoU:P2 because 1) the levels of violence are going to be different due to improvements in tech amongst other things and 2) the developer intent behind the violence (i.e. whether it's for something goofy like Tomb Raider or something intentionally grim like TLoU:P2) matters very little when it comes to whether or not content is problematic to people.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's clear that the game goes a lot further than just people beating each other up. Joel's death scene literally looks like some of the gore I unfortunately stumbled on back in my 'still getting the hang of the internet' days, and with everything else there's a layer of authenticity that I simply haven't seen in games before. We don't know everything else is in the game, of course, but from what we've already seen I'd say that this game goes much further when it comes to representing realistic brutal violence than any prior game (even The Last of Us 1) before it.

I was only addressing thing about violence that women face in TLOU 2 and not violence in TLOU 2 as whole, as it was a thing poster to whom I replied raised.

There is question about it, game has a lot graphic violence based on just from what little we have seen. Joel scenes maybe most graphic this far? I also expect both Ellie and Abby to have some graphic execution animations for killing especially humans, just seems like something ND would put into this one. Just how far they take displaying that graphic violence is what I'm interested seeing. What is too far naturally is different for everyone, but for most who would play something like TLOU 1 that line is bit further out there because inherit violent nature of this type of game.

For how many TLOU 2's violence will run past that line after which it just become glorifying the violence for sake of glorifying it?

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
/r/TheLastofUs sub shut down discussion of the leaks (which I get) so I looked at /r/TheLastofUs2 sub and unfortunately that place has just turned into one of the many cesspools of the internet. It'd be funny if it wasn't sad. I definitely have some problems with the leaks that I'll wait and see on the full game with, and some things that I'm interested to see how they play it out, but any problem I do have is not "SJW agenda". All those comments on that sub are so eye rolling.

How effectively they tell the story from Abby's perspective will make or break this game I think. You can't just make your original protags the villains, have a character kill one of them, and then expect people to sympathize automatically. If they do a good job it could work though, we'll see!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I was only addressing thing about violence that women face in TLOU 2 and not violence in TLOU 2 as whole, as it was a thing poster to whom I replied raised.

There is question about it, game has a lot graphic violence based on just from what little we have seen. Joel scenes maybe most graphic this far? I also expect both Ellie and Abby to have some graphic execution animations for killing especially humans, just seems like something ND would put into this one. Just how far they take displaying that graphic violence is what I'm interested seeing. What is too far naturally is different for everyone, but for most who would play something like TLOU 1 that line is bit further out there because inherit violent nature of this type of game.

For how many TLOU 2's violence will run past that line after which it just become glorifying the violence for sake of glorifying it?

TLoU2 features two female protagonists, a major female side character (likely more, I don't know), and many female enemies. There's going to be violence against women in this game for sure, and it will be to a much further extent than what we've seen so far.

What is too far is different for everyone, yeah, but I think that this game in particular is moving farther than anything before it. You mention The Last of Us: Part 1 but, in the end, that game didn't really have much in the way of 'realistic' violence. Sure Joel choked people out and beat people up but the graphics tech alongside the general direction meant that it wasn't nearly as bad as TLoU:P2's violence. Even the oft-touted torture scenes were mostly off-screen. For some the level of violence on display here will like asking someone who's just watched a Friday the 13th film to watch execution videos on LiveLeak; sure they're both very violent but it's clear one is simply on another level.

As for whether it'll 'glorify' it, I think that's a bit of a misdirection as to the actual problem people will have. A story doesn't have to be actively glorifying violence for violence's sake for there to be an issue, and it doesn't really have any bearing on it. What matters is whether the game can fully justify it, and considering the level of violence on display that bar is going to be very high for some. Right now I can't possibly see how the game's 'revenge' premise can justify having so much violence behind it considering how ubiquitous that theme is throughout art as a whole.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I keep seeing people say that Abby is transgender.
Is that confirmed in any way or is it just because she's beefy af and they can't accept that some women can be shredded ?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
/r/TheLastofUs sub shut down discussion of the leaks (which I get) so I looked at /r/TheLastofUs2 sub and unfortunately that place has just turned into one of the many cesspools of the internet. It'd be funny if it wasn't sad. I definitely have some problems with the leaks that I'll wait and see on the full game with, and some things that I'm interested to see how they play it out, but any problem I do have is not "SJW agenda". All those comments on that sub are so eye rolling.

How effectively they tell the story from Abby's perspective will make or break this game I think. You can't just make your original protags the villains, have a character kill one of them, and then expect people to sympathize automatically. If they do a good job it could work though, we'll see!

I think most people here agree that it all hinges on how they handle Abby. I'm sure all the scenes with Dina and Ellie and Ellie and Joel will be great for the most part and the story honestly could have focused on those 3 with Joel dying in the end which would cause Ellie to give up her pursuit of vengeance and raise a family with Dina. And then have the next game focus on Abby or someone else new. Would have been safe but I think most wouldnt have minded it.

But Neil put himself on hard mode and is attempting to do something balsy like making the killer of a character people adore somehow likeable in the 10+ hours I assume you play as her. A very difficult task and I'm interested to see if the writing team pulled it off

Is that confirmed in any way or is it just because she's beefy af and they can't accept that some women can be shredded ?
for the 84th time (no offense.) ABBY IS NOT TRANS. SHE'S A CUS BULKY WHITE LADY. Christ..., if anything shows why these leaks are bad in the regard of spreading fake bullshit, it's this constant question. It's even worse Because a whole lot of people believe it without a shadow of a doubt.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019

Yep. Mostly because of that. People find it impossible in a world with people like Joel and Ellie dropping bodies left and right that someone is just as skilled and brutal as they are. I honestly think Abby just went all out with her training on some Sasuke shit to get revenge lol

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I don't think you immediately play as abby as soon she kills joel. The order of scenes seems to be first from the perspective of ellie watching abby kill joel. during that moment you don't hear what abby's friends are saying nor you know their names (all subtitles are labelled as man or woman, including abby). When you watch from Abby's perspective you hear what they say and knows who everyone is. So probably the game has ellie being the player character after joel is killed, plans revenge, probably kills some of abby's friend in gruesome ways. Something happens and it switches perspective from abby to show her story and trying to make you empathize with her and friends.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
We don't have the full story, but I wonder If they considered having the game start with Abby, a new character, and having us get to know her and her crew before her section comes to a climax when we learn her background and they track down and kill Joel.

Switching to Ellie and hunting Abby down would feel different at that point. I think having Ellie be the "final boss" will be a tough sell.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic, but when Ellie's gameplay trailer came out in 2018, did anyone question Abby's presence? Did articles reference her, Lev or Yara? By that time her name was still hidden. I wouldn't be surprised if people forgot.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
for the 84th time (no offense.) ABBY IS NOT TRANS. SHE'S A CUS BULKY WHITE LADY. Christ..., if anything shows why these leaks are bad in the regard of spreading fake bullshit, it's this constant question. It's even worse Because a whole lot of people believe it without a shadow of a doubt.

Sorry, I try to avoid spoiler talk as much as possible. I just kept seeing people said that she's trans and I wondered if that was true.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I've only seen about that is angry manchilds claiming Abby is transgender because ND has an agenda and her killing Joel is a call to violence against straight white men.

Sorry, I try to avoid spoiler talk as much as possible. I just kept seeing people said that she's trans and I wondered if that was true.
Your good. I'm just over this false info being presented as fact & It confusing people like yourself. But that pretty much sums up all the leaks outside the videos: people taking wrong info as fact & regurgitating it so much, that it starts to sound like fact.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have the full story, but I wonder If they considered having the game start with Abby, a new character, and having us get to know her and her crew before her section comes to a climax when we learn her background and they track down and kill Joel.

Switching to Ellie and hunting Abby down would feel different at that point. I think having Ellie be the "final boss" will be a tough sell.
That makes way too much sense, when instead you can just pull the rug from under the player as a "gotcha" moment

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
One other rumor I heard, is that 70% of employees quit because the game is too woke as it just popped into my newsfeed.

I know their turnover rate is high but is their any truth to this?

Oct 26, 2017
One other rumor I heard, is that 70% of employees quit because the game is too woke as it just popped into my newsfeed.

I know their turnover rate is high but is their any truth to this?

70% of the game designers of Uncharted 4 have left, yes.

But that's probably because Uncharted 4 was a horrifying nightmare of development.

Will assume there will be another huge exodus after Last of Us 2.

Don't think it has anything to do with "wokeness"

This game doesn't even look that progressive...

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

Twitter thread about what lead to the leaks, from someone who I can vouch would know this sort of stuff. He doesn't know specifically *who* leaked it, but he knows how it came to be. Might be interesting to folks.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019

But that's probably because Uncharted 4 was a horrifying nightmare of development.

Thats the issue. The narrative is the game is woke on top of a beloved character dies.

And yea, went back and read Jason's article and it says 14 to 70 percent of non design leads quit out of the 20 non design leads. Where as I kept hearing 70% of all staff quit. Its insane how much false information is being put out there about the game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You're spreading misinformation here. It's not true that 70% of UC4's designers left, only that 70% of the non lead game designers (14 in total) are no longer at the studio, or did not have their contracts renewed, which is actually not that surprising at the end of a major project.

Usually as projects near their end, contract work (which is by nature temporary) is dramatically increased to get said project finished, but it's also normal for the bulk of those said contracts to not be renewed, or for those contractors not to be taken on as full employees.

This isn't just true for gaming either, but in countless other industries. The bulk of my friends work as tech contractors, predominantly in development, eg java, Ruby on rails etc, and it's perfectly normal that they and the vast majority of fellow contractors they work alongside, won't have their contracts renewed once a project reaches completion.

This is why for example, you hear about 1600 employees having worked on Red Dead Redemption 2, whilst the actual number of people who worked on the game is over 3000 (including contractors etc). Likewise, Guerilla Games had 200-250 employees during the development of Horizon Zero Dawn, but including contractors (a bulk of whom were from Chinese firms) over 400 people actually worked on the game. This trend of hiring large numbers of temporary contractors and them not staying on at the end of a major project (eg not renewing contracts or not taking them on as full employees once a project is complete), at least with AAA games and even in other industry sectors, is fairly normal, which is why Evan Wells has himself even commented that he believes Naughty Dogs employee turnover is fairly typical for a large sized AAA development studio.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Thats the issue. The narrative is the game is woke on top of a beloved character dies.

And yea, went back and read Jason's article and it says 14 to 70 percent of non design leads quit out of the 20 non design leads. Where as I kept hearing 70% of all staff quit. Its insane how much false information is being put out there about the game.

Not to mention all the YouTubers who made videos of the Kotaku article framed it in their headlines that 70% of the studio left which was so clickbaity and misleading. I'm not a fan of those lazy kind of videos where they take the article and splice it into some sensationalist press leak when it's all second hand. From that specific article I watched the video for about a minute before just going to the article and reading it my fucking self to see the thumbnail and title were grossly off mark. That didn't matter anymore because the tidbit of general conversation was 70% of the studio left when it was 70% of a section of leads, which is a completely different thing entirely. Drove me nuts!

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Not to mention all the YouTubers who made videos of the Kotaku article framed it in their headlines that 70% of the studio left which was so clickbaity and misleading. I'm not a fan of those lazy kind of videos where they take the article and splice it into some sensationalist press leak when it's all second hand. From that specific article I watched the video for about a minute before just going to the article and reading it my fucking self to see the thumbnail and title were grossly off mark. That didn't matter anymore because the tidbit of general conversation was 70% of the studio left when it was 70% of a section of leads, which is a completely different thing entirely. Drove me nuts!

It definitely does. Because if these people took a second to think, 70% of your studio leaving is extremely catastrophic to a studio and would lead to huge delays and maybe even a studio closure or some shit. But its funnier they take that a step further to say the reason isn't crunch but because the game is too woke lol

I hope someone does something to dispell the misinformation about the game because I think its unfair the devs should suffer just because of false narratives.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely does. Because if these people took a second to think, 70% of your studio leaving is extremely catastrophic to a studio and would lead to huge delays and maybe even a studio closure or some shit. But its funnier they take that a step further to say the reason isn't crunch but because the game is too woke lol

I hope someone does something to dispell the misinformation about the game because I think its unfair the devs should suffer just because of false narratives.
That would be a good starting point but you already have vidmakers such as Yongyea who made a video about the rumoured disgruntled employee, who scoffed at terrible long hours to the game being too woke and pressing on too many controversial issues. Unfortunately that's narrative especially to an antagonist crowd that will just see a groups hackers identifying a server access exploit as a grand cover story to upheld the reputation and narrative that Naughty Dog led by Neil Druckman went too far and got too "political". The damage has been done and with these level of upsetting story leaks and the game being a good 7 weeks away there's not much to do set the record straight until the game actually releases. It's one big fucking kerfuffle.

Twitter thread about what lead to the leaks, from someone who I can vouch would know this sort of stuff. He doesn't know specifically *who* leaked it, but he knows how it came to be. Might be interesting to folks.

Sony's great idiot proof security strikes again🤣 but it all seriousness? This does explain why the first leaked pop up in February.... sounds like whoever did this just kept at it to get something.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
That would be a good starting point but you already have vidmakers such as Yongyea who made a video about the rumoured disgruntled employee, who scoffed at terrible long hours to the game being too woke and pressing on too many controversial issues. Unfortunately that's narrative especially to an antagonist crowd that will just see a groups hackers identifying a server access exploit as a grand cover story to upheld the reputation and narrative that Naughty Dog led by Neil Druckman went too far and got too "political". The damage has been done and with these level of upsetting story leaks and the game being a good 7 weeks away there's not much to do set the record straight until the game actually releases. It's one big fucking kerfuffle.

The woke narrative is strong across the internet. Idk who leaked this, but he did some damage to this game's prerelease hype. I feel like the shock of Abby wouldn't have been as bad had people played before spoilers leaked. Sure people would still be upset, and you may see "muh agenda" peeps but it wouldn't have been as rampant as it is now.

The woke narrative is strong across the internet.
I still don't understand how The game is muh woke propaganda. woke propaganda or as I like to call it corporate woke to me is taking a subject that requires deep talking & just observing it on a surface level, basically just saying a hot take from twitter. The last of us part 2 is taking its themes seriously & is actually talking them through, that ain't woke propaganda, that's good writing.

So angry joe uploaded a video & of course, he's basing his reaction on the 4chan text. Like I just can't anymore at this point— it takes nothing to watch the 90 minute video & see that the 4Chan text is garbage, but nope! People can't do that because being outraged over lies is way more fun.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
So angry joe uploaded a video & of course, he's basing his reaction on the 4chan text. Like I just can't anymore at this point— it takes nothing to watch the 90 minute video & see that the 4Chan text is garbage, but nope! People can't do that because being outraged over lies is way more fun.

They also reported that the leak was by a disgruntled employee and acted like it was fact. Either way he is eventually gonna play it and realize he was wrong lol

Tho I can see Joe disliking Abby even after playing it lol

However, I did see the Laymen bros keeping an open mind about the leaks as they said they aren't gonna judge the entire game before playing it themselves.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how exactly do reviewers talk about playing as Abby with out spoiling anything ?
They just don't, just like in many of the original reviews of the first game when it came to playing as Ellie. Unless the marketing reveals this shift just before release, I imagine at most they'll just refer to a similar shift without pinning it on Abby specifically, or just talking about any of the gameplay focuses there as if that shift happens as Ellie instead of a character swap.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
So how exactly do reviewers talk about playing as Abby with out spoiling anything ?
Generally when you get a review copy, it comes with a set of instructions, dos and don'ts and similar. Likely they will just forbid mentioning/recording footage from after a certain point in the game. It's pretty common.

Whats the fake stuff youre talkiing about?
see below.

The 4chan summary (note: I think this is just piggybacking off of what's been shown so far, especially considering Joel supposedly 'dies' at Jackson so why would he show up in Seattle? We also know that Jesse only dies near the end of Seattle. Not before. Oh well, here it is if you want to entertain yourself.)
  • One of the surgeons Joel killed had a daughter called Abby
  • The Firefly massacre destroyed her whole life, she's been looking for revenge ever since
  • Knew who Ellie was because of her dad talking about their shot at a cure, figured out Joel from Firefly records
  • Cult attacks Ellie's settlement and she, Jesse, and Dinah are part of the group sent to track down and attack it - Jesse is killed during this
  • Ellie is now violently angry and goes to Seattle looking for the cults home to wipe it out, meets Joel there because he heard about Jesse and came back to help her
  • Abby finds Ellie because she's been in conflict with the cult too, so when Ellie hunts them to Seattle and is set to attack them with Joel her group find them and attack
  • She kills Joel herself, takes Ellie back to camp debating what to do with her since for all her hate she doesn't blame her for the massacre
  • Ellie butchers her group to escape and Abby is now motivated to hunt her down
  • Second half of the game is spent as Abby chasing Ellie
  • Ellie continues hunting the cult while you chase her down
  • Ending is Ellie and Abby fighting to the death
  • You kill Ellie as Abby, and she leaves while realizing she's not really "won" in any meaningful way since all she's done is get more of her loved ones killed for the sake of her killing Joel and then Ellie
  • Ending is "cycle of revenge" with the loose implication Ellie's friends will hunt Abby now in return
the only true bits are Abby being the daughter of the surgeon & the firefly massacre messing up her life. Everything else is in direct contradiction of the 90 minute video that was posted.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Whats the fake stuff youre talkiing about?
Fake stuff includes a lot of info in text-based "leaks," most of which came after the videos leaked. These posts offer very little, if any, new information and just piggyback off the leaked footage and added a few erroneous details such as Ellie dying and stuff about Abby.

Given the leaks, I think that reviewers will definitely be given some license to talk about Abby. Most people will buy the game regardless of the reviews, and have likely already preordered it.

Edit: I was slow on the fake stuff - I didn't refresh the page.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Watched the video AngryJoe posted and the core of the issue is that he doesn't wanna play someone who just killed a Joel. That much is understandable to a degree.

However, they simplify his death and hand wave any and all reasons as to why Joel had it coming especially from the Fireflies. They also believe Abby hunts down Ellie and that Ellie dies which we know are false and unconfirmed

Those fake spoilers are definitely damaging to the game's sales potential and I wonder will ND say anything to stop the madness because this just seems so unfair to everyone who worked so hard to make this game. People like Joe have a decent sized following

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why they ddin't mention there is a MP mode in the game and kept it a secret.
Is it because it won't be available day one and they needed to reserve the announcement when it's ready?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they ddin't mention there is a MP mode in the game and kept it a secret.
Is it because it won't be available day one and they needed to reserve the announcement when it's ready?
Maybe plans changed. They previously say no MP at launch when the February release was a thing.

Maybe the months of delay gave them time to squeeze it in?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe plans changed. They previously say no MP at launch when the February release was a thing.

Maybe the months of delay gave them time to squeeze it in?

they should have still annoucned MP mode even if it comes at later date after launch. I really don't know why they are keeping it a secret till this moment and even after the leaks. I can't find any reason tbh.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
That's painful to watch, i typically like joe but he states roughly in the context of the game it could be good but i have money and don't want to support them for their decision. Like really, play the game for youself

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Can someone eli5?

You just need some code number and a dev kit ps4 and you can get access to the full source code of the game? From everywhere?

And the code number was the same as tlou1/uncharted 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.