• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What she actually does is... nothing? Or am I missing some spoilers?

Edit: Quote was originally attributed to wrong user.

She holds the knife up to Dana's throat (there's a pic of this earlier in the thread). Ellie's says "don't, she's pregnant." And Abby goes "good." Before having to be talked out of it by Lev.

Remove that "good" and you have a likable if morally great character.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Part of Unconfirmed/Speculation:
  • Ellie butchers her group to escape and Abby is now motivated to hunt her down
  • Second half of the game is spent as Abby chasing Ellie
That doesn't sound right based off the fight between her and Ellie. She lets them go and leaves. We already know Ellie still decides to pursue Abby even after everything goes down.

Jun 22, 2019
She holds the knife up to Dana's throat (there's a pic of this earlier in the thread). Ellie's says "don't, she's pregnant." And Abby goes "good." Before having to be talked out of it by Lev.

Yeah, so what she actually does to her though at the end of the day... is nothing. She doesn't kill her or purposefully start torturing her. She just says a dark thing but never goes further.

Apparently just saying something dark is worse than murdering an entire research facility that's trying to find a cure for the zombie apocalypse by sacrificing a child that consented to her death?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Part of Unconfirmed/Speculation:
  • Ellie butchers her group to escape and Abby is now motivated to hunt her down
  • Second half of the game is spent as Abby chasing Ellie
That's from the BS 4chan summary. I don't think "hunting Ellie" is ever a plot point tbh. Ellie is hunting Abby, Abby is searching for the fireflies, presumably after ending the glasgow cult's entire career.

Jun 22, 2019
F33C815CF3665E14232FA2CC47B7593FACD065B3

Just realized that if Abby simply did this to Ellie, Ellie couldn't hunt her down afterward, so the game would be over, thus making Abby the hero.
/s

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I was merely making a joke. Seeing how Waluigi is usually the go-to character for the most hated.

I am waiting to play the game to get the full context of the scene and then I will make a judgement call. Just as I did with Joel when I was spoiled by his action before I got there.

I wasn'tt mocking you, sorry.

Yeah, so what she actually does to her though at the end of the day... is nothing. She doesn't kill her or purposefully start torturing her. She just says a dark thing but never goes further.

Apparently just saying something dark is worse than murdering an entire research facility that's trying to find a cure for the zombie apocalypse by sacrificing a child that consented to her death?

She was about to slit her throat and had to be talked out of it by Lev. Otherwise she would have gladly done it.

And how many times do I have to repeat in this thread that Joel is a bad person and I don't have a problem with him dying? It was litteraly on the post of mine you quoted.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I feel like this game will directly address the "humanity isn't worth saving" bit by having us view the world from perspectives other than Joel's.

Marlene had many good points when she was trying to reason with Joel.
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

Because it sounds like your mind is already made up on the points that you're making and even though your opinions have been dismantled by other people's opinions [much like your own, to them, that is how they see things] you persist in blindly swinging at the same fence - again, and again and again - ad nauseum. The story was made purposely to be divisive, to let the player form their own opinion of how things went down and the emotions behind the actions - but every time you make a post, you are trying to dismantle somebody else's opinion.

You argue as though you want somebody to change your mind; except that your mind is already made up and no one is going to change your mind on this, so why even debate? These are fictional people we are talking about here and the game is made to end with the player's opinion being the fact.

The point is entirely subjective - and moot.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
It's my understanding that the big fight, with Abby nearly killing Ellie, is the end of the game (before the epilogue). I suspect we'll play as Ellie up until Joel's death, and then in the aftermath of that we'll change over to Abby. Ellie will then hunt "us."

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even with my lukewarm attitude to ND's execution of the the whole story, it feels insulting to their craft for people to be 100% on the Joel train with no qualms about it.

Because it sounds like your mind is already made up on the points that you're making and even though your opinions have been dismantled by other people's opinions [much like your own, to them, that is how they see things] you persist in blindly swinging at the same fence - again, and again and again - ad nauseum. The story was made purposely to be divisive, to let the player form their own opinion of how things went down and the emotions behind the actions - but every time you make a post, you are trying to dismantle somebody else's opinion.

You argue as though you want somebody to change your mind; except that your mind is already made up and no one is going to change your mind on this, so why even debate? These are fictional people were talking about here and the game is made to end with the player's opinion being the fact.

The point is entirely subjective - and moot.
You almost have a revelation there

Jun 22, 2019
All this hooplah about pregnant Dina had me go back and check the OP for the events.

Abby being "talked out" of supposedly murdering a pregnant woman (who according to the spoilers had just nearly killed her) is having her name said once?
And then Abby lets both Dina and Ellie live with merely a verbal threat about never seeing them again. She doesn't Joel-it-up here.
How the hell is that action consistent with a character who would be gleefully murdering a preggo woman only seconds prior? (It's not.)
A much more grounded reading of the spoilers is that Lev was uncomfortable with Abby's bluff-threat because it was too dark for her.

Geez, people are really going with the absolute most uncharitable interpretation of the scenario and then acting as if Abby had functionally committed the murder anyway.

Last edited:

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to know what game is well written in your opinion? Cause TLOU is top tier in this medium.
off the time of my head i'm going to say disco elysium is probably one of the best written videogames i've seen in a long time.

i don't think the story itself is the crux of last of us, and while there's little to no character interactions to go on in these leaks, i'm not sold that what we do have presents the narrative framework to justify the almost comical level of violence that they're presenting. it looks from here as shock for shock's sake and the first game leaned into that as well. it looks like this one is going further in that direction.

Apr 27, 2020
Imagine if this was God of War 2, it starts with you playing as Atreus, than switching to some brand new character who brutally murders Kratos and than fights to the death with Atreus, leaving him near death - and honestly tell me you'd expect people would go for it ?

Actually, judging by the end of this last game, there's more than a 50% chance of this happening

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Because it sounds like your mind is already made up on the points that you're making and even though your opinions have been dismantled by other people's opinions [much like your own, to them, that is how they see things] you persist in blindly swinging at the same fence
Define dismantled. You were literally arguing that Joel was a hero lmao.

Actually, judging by the end of this last game, there's more than a 50% chance of this happening
Game literally ends with
A literal prophecy that Kratos will die, followed by Thor showing up in a secret ending ready to beat Krato's ass

The story was made purposely to be divisive, to let the player form their own opinion of how things went down and the emotions behind the actions
Ah yes, more than anything he sequel will not at all be written in this way and that by killing Joel, it is now a completely white and black situation and the game will do nothing to make the player empathize with Abby whatsoever.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Captain Kirk obviously wasn't a hero because he let Spock sacrifice himself for the greater good. What an asshole, am I right? Who cares about everyone else? Spock DIED.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Curiosity got the better of me and I clicked this thread.

Hooooooly shit. This is gonna be ride.

And goddamn Abby is j-j-j-jacked.

Sep 14, 2018
That doesn't sound right based off the fight between her and Ellie. She lets them go and leaves. We already know Ellie still decides to pursue Abby even after everything goes down.
There are two scenes that say Ellie is going after Abby and we know in what order they happen:

1. Dinah and Ellie are stitching Ellie's arm up and mention Jessie is in the other room alive, they say Tommy is going after Abby who is in a hospital.
2. Dinah and Ellie have a fight about Ellie going after Abby, here Dinah says Jessie is dead so this one happens after and presumably Dinah isn't going.

But we know Dinah shows up at the fight at the end anyway so is the second scene an epilogue? Close to the end? Is there a second final confrontation with Abby? Who knows.

By the way the first scene contradicts the 4chan leak which says Jessie dies in a cult attack at the start in Jackson, and this scene happens in Seattle where he is still alive.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There are two scenes that say Ellie is going after Abby and we know in what order they happen:

1. Dinah and Ellie are stitching Ellie's arm up and mention Jessie is in the other room alive, they say Tommy is going after Abby who is in a hospital.
2. Dinah and Ellie have a fight about Ellie going after Abby, here Dinah says Jessie is dead so this one happens after and presumably Dinah isn't going.

But we know Dinah shows up at the fight at the end anyway so is the second scene an epilogue? Close to the end? Is there a second final confrontation with Abby? Who knows.
That's the thing is I don't think we know for a fact that Dina shows up at the second encounter. If there is one. The endgame is very vague as far as level lists go. Ellie's hair is quite different during the scene where she leaves Dina so that may be the cutoff point as far as playing Ellie goes.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone brought up this theory yet, but I wanted to share it. Because I was thinking about that one supposed leak where the game ends on a possible cliffhanger where Ellie goes after Abby and Abby tries to gather any remaining Fireflies.

Now, what if it isn't a cliffhanger? What if there is no Part 3 and that is just how the game ends?

In the quest for revenge, there is no resolution or neatly wrapped up ending. Just pain, hate, and continuing the cycle.

It be a controversial move, but it would fit the theme that they are trying to explore.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think George from SuperBunnyhop is particularly enthused with this game's direction:

(There's more in the full thread)

I can expect voices like George's to be drowned out upon release by waves of "BUT IT'S A BOLD NEW DIRECTION!" and "BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE UNCOMFORTABLE!" Hell, that already seems to be a bit of a defining trend in this thread already.

Last edited:

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In hindsight it could have only been Joel whose death inspires Ellie to go on a rampage. His death would have been the only one that could have truly made the player feel Ellie's pain, anger and desire for revenge.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok by no means am i complaining or anything. But if u click on this thread and see spoiler text you wouldn't expect to see spoilers for an unrelated game. I know God of War was quoted but i wasn't following those posts just yet. Oh well. I should've beat that game awhile ago

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight it could have only been Joel whose death inspires Ellie to go on a rampage. His death would have been the only one that could have truly made the player feel Ellie's pain, anger and desire for revenge.
Then why the fuck are we playing with Abby?

Let me play as Ellie during the whole game to kill her.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like trying to assign Joel a label like "hero" or "scumbag" is contrary to the point of The Last of Us. Not everything is black and white.

Morals can actually be messy, especially with limited information. Joel may have killed a bunch of people and doomed humanity to save someone he cared about, and then lied to her face about it so she wouldn't leave him. Or he may have rescued a young girl from a ridiculous and vain procedure that would have killed her to gain nothing, and then hid the truth from her so that she wouldn't feel guilty.

The truth of the matter probably lies somewhere in between the two extremes. We don't know anything except that he made a choice.

Apr 27, 2020

By the way the first scene contradicts the 4chan leak which says Jessie dies in a cult attack at the start in Jackson, and this scene happens in Seattle where he is still alive.

I think the Abby & Ellie fight takes place at Ellie & Dina's hideout where she's getting stitched up considering they are wearing the same clothes in both scenes. I'm assuming that when you play as Abby, you track Ellie down to this location.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think George from SuperBunnyhop is particularly enthused with this game's direction:

I can expect voices like George's to be drowned out upon release by waves of "BUT IT'S A BOLD NEW DIRECTION!" and "BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE UNCOMFORTABLE!" Hell, that already seems to be a bit of a defining trend in this thread already.

I wonder what the turnover/burnout rate is in ND's cinematics team for those who have to do that type of painstaking research of (assumedly) real life carnage. Eeesh.

It definitely sounds comical when read, but it is interesting as it humanizes the npc as a possible real person with real connections....it's definitely dumb, but kind of interesting.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Is there a specific animation he's refering to or is just making a general point?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nobody is saying that the game won't do stuff to show Abby's own reasons for doing what she does. Of course it will. At the very least we're going to get a cutscene of her seeing her random-NPC dad get murdered.

But that doesn't negate the fact that this is fiction, and when viewing fiction people are allowed to care more about X character over Y character even if both characters are equally shitty. People are able to detach themselves from fiction, and that's especially true when said fiction is so divorced from reality as The Last of Us is. As such there's nothing 'wrong' in empathising with Joel more than the character who murders him whether or not that character was particularly 'justified'. Same way there's nothing wrong with rooting for Walter White, or Bojack Horseman, or The Punisher, or any of the other shitty protagonists out there doing shitty things for shitty reasons.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Somehow I doubt anyone's going to be playing this game and out of nowhere recognize the exact reference of their relative dying.....especially since you know..., all of the animations use OG mocap choreography as a baseline.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I feel like trying to assign Joel a label like "hero" or "scumbag" is contrary to the point of The Last of Us. Not everything is black and white.

Morals can actually be messy, especially with limited information. Joel may have killed a bunch of people and doomed humanity to save someone he cared about, and then lied to her face about it so she wouldn't leave him. Or he may have rescued a young girl from a ridiculous and vain procedure that would have killed her to gain nothing, and then hid the truth from her so that she wouldn't feel guilty.

The truth of the matter probably lies somewhere in between the two extremes. We don't know anything except that he made a choice.

Refreshing to see someone that gets the point in a thread that seems to be overflowing with people that missed it.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): hostility over a series of posts
I'm really struggling to understand how any of this is "purely for shock value" or "Neil trying to be edgy" when it's the next logical step from the first game.

Garbage post.
Refreshing to see someone that gets the point in a thread that seems to be overflowing with people that missed it.
You'd think that 7 years would be enough time to get one simple, straightforward game, but apparently even that's expecting way too much from some people.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm really struggling to understand how any of this is "purely for shock value" or "Neil trying to be edgy" when it's the next logical step from the first game.

Garbage post.
Yeah, I really don't get these. The violence being uncomfortable *is* part of the point. If it's not your thing, that's totally understandable. But it's not like it's somehow immoral or irresponsible to explore brutality in fiction, even (perhaps especially) in interactive fiction like video games, in which the player plays an active role in the violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.