• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop posting this image in here. It's BS.

RaulBalarezoS

Banned
Jan 22, 2019
114-A722-B-99-A4-40-E6-BBF0-B45968117-EF6.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
Call me whatever you'd like, but I absolutely hate this kind of violence.

I don't like watching UFC stuff, either.

I don't remember if the first game had shit like this but if it did, i was probably squinting or closing my eyes.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I usually hate it when narrative driven games switch protagonists, as it's often an immersion killer. Like I didn't enjoy the Ellie section in TLoU1. But with it only happening once and halfway I can essentially treat it as two games in that sense, so no issue.
The cool thing about the switch in the first game is that it ramped up the narrative tension about whether Joel was alive or dead, and it also gave us a pretty cool story that only made sense if Ellie was the main character and on her own.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
"Ellie finds them and is forced to watch as Joel is brutally murdered by Abby beaten to pulp with a golf stick."

I gotta say while I'm keeping an open mind like I said before and I'm fine with Joel dying, I can't say I'm excited for this.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't have anything to say you aren't exactly a good storyteller. Stories that feel like they are puddle deep tend not to resonate. The first game's ending spurred discussion for 7 years. Just this game's marketing and the small tidbits they've shown, the tone, violence, etc. have resulted in three years worth of discussion. If all of that violence had nothing to show for it then this game would really suck. There's also no obligation for you to be a part of the zeitgeist and nitty gritty discussion of the game's themes and execution. You can finish the game and let that be the start and end of it.
Yeah for me this is the game, the deep story. I've never been all that impressed by the gameplay and I don't like realistic violence as a game ingredient, what made TLOU one of the best games of last gen was the story and moraly complicated ending, it's an adult story for adult gamers about the darker side of the world and humanity in general.

For me personally they're going too far with the violence though but I'm glad they're doing it and doing it to favorite characters because I think it'll make people wake up from their desensitized slumbers and start questioning what we're doing for entertainment these days.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
"Ellie finds them and is forced to watch as Joel is brutally murdered by Abby beaten to pulp with a golf stick."

I gotta say while I'm keeping an open mind like I said before and I'm fine with Joel dying, I can't say I'm excited for this.

It a group of them so i wondering if there fire files or just a bunch of people she need for the job .

Oct 26, 2017
And yet people relate to these characters anyway. It doesn't matter how realistic a world is in a character focused story. If you nitpick, most stories have ridiculous worlds that when directly compared to the real world, stand out as ridiculous.

Yes which is... what I say later in the post.

But at some point, the exaggerations are so much that it loses any real connection to be able to say anything except a very narrow and strange point about your own work. "In the universe I personally created, it's impossible for anyone to have a happy ending as they just die brutally because I made everyone a mass killer" I mean... OK, but that's also kind of on you...

Breaking Bad is a very unrealistic and exaggerated show, but the show is about the psychological dynamics of a violent narcissist and the people who make the mistake of going along with him for the money. At many points, Walt and Jesse could have just been done and ended it but Walt wants to move forward even though he knows how that could end and Jesse follows him even though he shouldn't and knows how this could end. Breaking Bad also has a ton of normal people too to show that the world is mostly not populated by Walter Whites.

The majority of characters you encounter in the Last of Us are violent killers so... It's hard for me to imagine Naughty Dog puts together a convincing offramp for Ellie and Abby to turn down as everyone just dies horribly in this universe regardless of the choices made. Ellie could have chosen to stay at the farm but then... this world is so violent and horrible they probably die there too in a pretty short time so why not have a lust for revenge.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

I don't remember if the first game had shit like this but if it did, i was probably squinting or closing my eyes.
First game had multiple torture scenes. And yea, you're not supposed to enjoy the violence. It's focus tested to hell and back to make you feel uncomfortable. It's sorta how the first game had a crowd reaction roar and cheer as you shot someone's face off in the demo. This is supposed to have the opposite effect.

But at some point, the exaggerations are so much that it loses any real connection to be able to say anything except a very narrow and strange point about your own work. "In the universe I personally created, it's impossible for anyone to have a happy ending as they just die brutally because I made everyone a mass killer" I mean... OK, but that's also kind of on you...
That's not what happens even in the leaked narrative of this game. You are critiquing a story concept that doesn't exist. 🤷‍♂️

Breaking Bad is a very unrealistic and exaggerated show, but the show is about the psychological dynamics of a violent narcissist and the people who make the mistake of going along with him for the money. At many points, Walt and Jesse could have just been done and ended it but Walt wants to move forward even though he knows how that could end and Jesse follows him even though he shouldn't and knows how this could end. Breaking Bad also has a ton of normal people too to show that the world is mostly not populated by Walter Whites.
Literally the exact same can be said about this game. One of the cutscenes makes it explicit that Ellie could be done with this at any point, we know for a fact that the world isn't filled with people as bad as Joel. etc.

The majority of characters you encounter in the Last of Us are violent killers so... It's hard for me to imagine Naughty Dog puts together a convincing offramp for Ellie and Abby to turn down as everyone just dies horribly in this universe regardless of the choices made. Ellie could have chosen to stay at the farm but then... this world is so violent and horrible they probably die there too in a pretty short time so why not?
The majority of people are survivors. The characters at the start of this currently live in a self sustaining society where they have parties, watch movies, and have working water and electricity. Which is certainly far off from a world full of killers. They don't actively go out and shoot people. They defend themselves in a world filled with people desperate enough to hurt others for the sake of their own survival. The first game didn't generate 7 years worth of discussion by having nothing to say or relate to when it came to the human condition.

Last edited:

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

It had some gross stuff.

Joel stabs a guys knee and threatens to cut it off, a horse gets shot in the head, Elly stabs a rapist in the head multiple times with a butcher knife, you see a body getting cut up, Joels daughter with a gunshot wound to her stomach, Joel shooting Marlene and the soldier in the gut, etc

Part 2 is definitely more gory but the first game had plenty of gore. I usually look away because I also can't handle frequent gore.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

I imagine that's the point. Rather than glamming up the violence it's being played straight; gruesome and horrific with no pretense of being cool or fun.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I lean that an anthology of other stories that take place during the same time would have been a better route but it is what it is.

Yeah that could've worked too. Personally I just wish ND had left the previous game's story on its own though, in all its ambiguous, bittersweet goodness. Nothing I've seen about the sequel makes me wanna play it :/

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Joel's final line of dialog: "A man chooses, a slave obeys."

j/k of course

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

The majority of characters you encounter in the Last of Us are violent killers so... It's hard for me to imagine Naughty Dog puts together a convincing offramp for Ellie and Abby to turn down as everyone just dies horribly in this universe regardless of the choices made. Ellie could have chosen to stay at the farm but then... this world is so violent and horrible they probably die there too in a pretty short time so why not have a lust for revenge.

That mostly because Ellie and Joel were going from point A to point B.
As you can see from part 1 and what look like part 2 once you in a town or settlement most people act rather normal to a degree .

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the leaked chapter list, it seems like the Abby Vs Ellie fight [that we've seen the leaked video of] is the end of the game, because after that is the Farm cutscene where Ellie says she's going after Abby and then the Santa Barbara epilogue, then the final ending epilogue; so it seems that there is a sequel-bait, cliffhanger ending for a part 3 where Ellie hunts down Abby. It looks like the cut scene of the fight is probably what happens after you finish it - like you get her health down enough and them that's the cut scene that plays to begin the Farm chapter and then the epilogues.

Ellie, you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?
Sir, finishing this fight.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I love the leaks and I hope that I get to swing that golf club. I ain´t even that much into QTEs but damn would that feel good and this is coming from a fan of his character. Joel is and always was a villain protagonist. That was my takeaway from the original in 2013 but it´s nice to know that the writers understood their own game. Sequel Ellie comes off like a psycho in even the official media so I won´t cry tears for her either and the new cast looks engaging. I am in. IN IN IN.
The Road - The Videogame isn´t designed to make you feel good Era and the don´t kill her she is pregnant scene is frankly a cop-out to me. Just have to balls and do it. How a film about Joel would need to look if you remove any subjectivity and attachment to the protagonist:
MV5BM2VjMDkzMTUtMDZjZi00YzFlLWE2MzYtNjVhNTkwYzU0YmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

He obviously reconnects to some of his former humanity in the 2nd half but he only looks out for himself and who he considers part of his family. That circle is very small.

The Last Jedi (6 point something out 10) isn´t all that subversive while we are at it. It's not a good sequel but the film itself is only a bit different from the rest.
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and The Return. Now that´s what you are looking for! Or Dune Messiah. Or Alien 3 (the Assembly Cut is good).
This how you conclude your horror franchise, aka the genre of TLOU:
alien3cap3rev.jpg

It´s rather fitting that the game about the cycle of revenge and abuse is going through this. ND made their bed with all the workforce abuse that the studio oversaw. This is the only logical conclusion. I´ll gladly buy this game but they won´t get a bit of pity from me.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else remember before RDR2 released everyone was upset because we were playing as a new character and not John?

But then comes the game and Arthur is beloved and lots would rather play as Arthur now.

Anything is possible if the execution is done well, you cant judge something based on the main narrative beats alone, forgetting about the 25+ hours in between it all.

Bruh Arthur didn't kill John lol, that's a pretty big difference

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Where you got this from, if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds very plausible based on footage that leaked, but also could have been custom written to fit what leak enables to be plausible.

If that is overall main arc of the games story... discussions about this game will be interesting.
It's from 4chan and it's literally just a summary based on all of the leaked videos. Notice how it has nothing to say about the cult:
nfmKx17.png

or Yara:

or Lev and Abby's actual journey. And I really wish people would stop posting it as the ending is completely made up. 😃

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Sounds like we'll possibly get a game with zero likable playable characters for most of the game... I mean Joel was a dick in the first game but at least it the plot setup his motivations and it was "killed or be killed" violence and only at the end did he go off the rails - sounds like we start off the rails and never ease off... I'll still play it though...

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
If they really are setting Ellie up as the villain for a third game, it's pretty Goddamn stupid

That's a quote from Joel the GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
First game had multiple torture scenes. And yea, you're not supposed to enjoy the violence. It's focus tested to hell and back to make you feel uncomfortable. It's sorta how the first game had a crowd reaction roar and cheer as you shot someone's face off in the demo. This is supposed to have the opposite effect.

That's not what happens even in the leaked narrative of this game. You are critiquing a story concept that doesn't exist. 🤷‍♂️

Literally the exact same can be said about this game. One of the cutscenes makes it explicit that Ellie could be done with this at any point, we know for a fact that the world isn't filled with people as bad as Joel. etc.

The majority of people are survivors. The characters at the start of this currently live in a self sustaining society where they have parties, watch movies, and have working water and electricity. Which is certainly far off from a world full of killers. They don't actively go out and shoot people. They defend themselves in a world filled with people desperate enough to hurt others for the sake of their own survival. The first game didn't generate 7 years worth of discussion by having nothing to say or relate to when it came to the human condition.

The majority of people you interact with in The Last of Us 1 are pedophiles and cannibals and thieves and killers, lol. The game focuses *very* little on showing how many normal people there are as you just go from killing one group of killers to the next group of killers.

Whereas Walter Jr, Skyler, Hank, etc are constantly in Breaking Bad.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't that 4chan post come from months ago though?
That specific pic above was literally made a few hours ago and is now being spread around the internet...

Like I said, it's piggybacking off of the leaks from yesterday (stuff we know) but conveniently leaves out the stuff we don't know (like what happens in Seattle, what spurs Ellie and Dina to go there in the first place etc.)

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I lean that an anthology of other stories that take place during the same time would have been a better route but it is what it is.

this was the correct route.

don't buy the game then?

This doesn't sound interesting but then again I found the first game's story underwhelming.

With that said, that ending if true is really really bad. Another revenge quest is the most boring thing they could do.
If it ends the way that leak says? I think the ending is crappy, but mainly because I feel the game ends before it actually starts, like thus whole game is/was part of a larger story, but Sony got inpatient at waiting for the complete story & force naughty dog to release something for money. I wouldn't pay attention to the whole lev & Abby good guys vs. villain Ellie. Tbh as part 3 will be like part 2 with Abby & Ellie playable & building the story for both... I personally think this game's problem will similar to that of the deus ex prequel trilogy where the game is split up to make a trilogy As opposed to letting the story be fully told. Like I said before: if the whole plays out in Seattle & the cilmax/end pint is the Abby-ellie fight with Ellie still wanting revenge & Abby-lev looking forward fireflys, then it's gonna feel like it's part of a much bigger game over a stand alone experience.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
That specific pic above was literally made a few hours ago and is now being spread around the internet...

Like I said, it's piggybacking off of the leaks from yesterday (stuff we know) but conveniently leaves out the stuff we don't know (like what happens in Seattle, what spurs Ellie and Dina to go there in the first place etc.)

it was brought up in a post several hours back in relation to when someone was trying to find older 4chan/Reddit/etc leaks and I wanted to make sure.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The majority of people you interact with in The Last of Us 1 are pedophiles and cannibals and thieves and killers, lol. The game focuses *very* little on showing how many normal people there are as you just go from killing one group of killers to the next group of killers.
You're talking about enemies. In the thick of it you still have Bill, and the two brothers, and Tommy's entire community, represented by he and his wife. David is an outlier, as he's the leader of all the merciless bandits you've been killing. Based on the first game, you'd think the world was filled with violent men only because of hardware restraints. I have no doubts in my mind that we're gonna see a much more realized world. Yes, everyone in this society has reached a point where when it comes down to it, they defend themselves and consider strangers to be a danger. But that's not the focus of the story. The focus is on the characters. Most people don't just consider Joel to be a killer who's way too good at it, they see someone slowly learning to become a father again, willing to do anything to ensure her safety. Anything. Most people don't acknowledge that Ellie is only 14 and has killed at least thirty people, they hear a teenager who acts like a teenager. That's how we absorb stories. What you're essentially saying is that, based on a contextless summary, we can infer that this game will have nothing meaningful to say.

Last edited:

tmkn

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the franchise because of the characters so I sincerely thank the leaker for saving me $60.
The writing was on the wall, idk why they gave Druckmann that much freedom.
If only we could get a TLOU2 from Amy Henning and Bruce Straley instead, makes me sad.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very interested in the critical response to the game, since the leaks paint a picture of this game subscribing to The Last Jedi school of subversions. I'm fully expecting the fan response will be extremely negative.

Apr 27, 2018
From the leaked car set piece, Jesse probably dies from his injuries (leg getting jammed, can't get out.)

He says "Oh shit" then the clip ends.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
While we are here. This game has all the graphics. Hats of ND.

You not remembering about the docs and "freedom fighters" you slaughter is kind of the point. I do though. I made sure to execute them all in both version of the game. A man like Joel would leave no traces, expect that he did. It and Ellie´s sequence in winter were the highlights of the game to me. Not that Ellie blindly deserved to be dissected. TLoU 1 was complex like that. A rare game script that can keep up with the best of modern literature and films.

The thread had a short talk about Martyrs (2008) a few pages ago. Most New French Extremity film are pure nonsense but that one gets a recommendation:
The "abuser of characters", lol, clearly saw it.

Sony´s obsession with funding gritty revenge based games is quite something. I wonder where it comes from but prestige TV is equally obsessed with the theme and I do have a Berserk avatar so It´s nice to be catered to.

genericbrand

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very interested in the critical response to the game, since the leaks paint a picture of this game subscribing to The Last Jedi school of subversions. I'm fully expecting the fan response will be extremely negative.

How does it follow the The Last Jedi school of subversions? The Last Jedi replicated plot scenarios of the previous films to give a different result and try and force out from the recycling of plot beats The Force Awakens set up. The Last Jedi is filled with intentional setup for failing expectations. This Last of Us sequel doesn't look like there's anything misleading about it. Looks really straight forward in their marketing and in these plot leaks

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I like the franchise because of the characters so I sincerely thank the leaker for saving me $60.
The writing was on the wall, idk why they gave Druckmann that much freedom.
If only we could get a TLOU2 from Amy Henning and Bruce Straley instead, makes me sad.

This was Neil baby that was never going to happy .

There is nothing so far in the leaks that has The Last Jedi school of subversions to it .
Even playing another character people was saying going to happen .

Oct 26, 2017

It's going to be an interesting reaction critically as there's a lot of back and forth in the online discourse about how good edgy nihilism is.

Right now, "humans are the virus" is an extremely mocked viewpoint online from the extremely online (which it should because... it's a very dumb point), but we'll see how things are in the discourse in two months. The issue of how happy LGBT stories are also veers back and forth wildly in the discourse and this is going to be probably the most hopeless major media release in a few decades as well as the most violent video game ever made.

The Last of Us could fall into the David Cage/Episode 9 zone where there is no online group that politically aligns with it, making intense defense harder to come by and intense criticism more common.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I love how these full plot summaries start showing up, and they all skim over everything except for the already leaked material.

Status
Not open for further replies.