• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Finally managed to watch Tofu's vid and damn, it physically drained her lol. The farmhouse section was a constant stream of tears.
Can't wait for the finale, should be any day now.

Oct 25, 2017
I still think one of the most absurd defenses for Joel's actions in the hospital was the idea that "the fireflies would try to monetize or control the cure and would attempt to rule the world with it"

Like, do people really think Joel was considering the possible ramifications of a cure? He thought "Ellie dies if they make this thing, it's not worth it"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I still think one of the most absurd defenses for Joel's actions in the hospital was the idea that "the fireflies would try to monetize or control the cure and would attempt to rule the world with it"

Like, do people really think Joel was considering the possible ramifications of a cure? He thought "Ellie dies if they make this thing, it's not worth it"
Yep, hence so many people missing the entire point. It's pretty spelled out when Joel carries Ellie the exact same way he carried Sarah. He literally saw this as his "second chance" of having a daughter.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. So the nearest competition will actually be Miles now, I guess?
Spiderman didn't stand a chance against God of War,Miles has zero against Part II, my bet the closest one is Animal Crossing or Hades, Half Life Alyx could have been a strong contender, if wasn't only VR.
The problem if Part II wins the excuse we already known.

Oct 25, 2017
I think GOTY nominees right now are

- TLOU2
- Hades
- Animal Crossing
- Ghost of Tshushima
- Half Life Alyx
- FF7 Remake

and maybe Doom Eternal

Man, the internet will be a shitshow if TLOU2 wins and I honestly don't think game critics will let it win with the amount of controversy surrounding the game

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

- TLOU2
- Hades
- Animal Crossing
- Ghost of Tshushima
- Half Life Alyx
- FF7 Remake

and maybe Doom Eternal

Man, the internet will be a shitshow if TLOU2 wins and I honestly don't think game critics will let it win with the amount of controversy surrounding the game
The people deciding aren't going to care about "controversy". GoW over RDR2 was considered very controversial. They will pick it as their goty if it's theirs.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden

- TLOU2
- Hades
- Animal Crossing
- Ghost of Tshushima
- Half Life Alyx
- FF7 Remake

and maybe Doom Eternal

I can honestly see them going for Animal Crossing and hell maybe even FF7 Remake or Half life at this point.
I agree in that I think the controversy has soured some people's experience with it.
It feels difficult to talk about the game anywhere except here, for me.

Really hoping TLOU2 gets the much deserved win.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

- TLOU2
- Hades
- Animal Crossing
- Ghost of Tshushima
- Half Life Alyx
- FF7 Remake

and maybe Doom Eternal

I love love LOVE Hades and all Supergiant games, but I can see it being snubbed for a GOTY spot.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The people deciding aren't going to care about "controversy". GoW over RDR2 was considered very controversial. They will pick it as their goty if it's theirs.
God of War is a much better game, the critics and reader's awards don't lie, tweeter thread for TGA was unanimous God of War, the surprise was because all the hype behind the new Rockstar game and the release was close to TGA, I never doubted God of War would have beaten RDR2, wasn't controversial at all, a lot of people hated RDR2, GOW was universally more beloved among critics and community.

- TLOU2
- Hades
- Animal Crossing
- Ghost of Tshushima
- Half Life Alyx
- FF7 Remake

and maybe Doom Eternal

• The Last of Us Part II
  • Hades
  • Animal Crossing
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Half Life Alyx
I don't think Ghost will be there, I am not sure about FFVIIR, don't deserve a nominee, but there was a lot of hype behind it, was played by everyone and the press liked.
Part II maybe is not winning if most of the critics are divided and other game is more beloved across the board, where I can see Animal Crossing or Hades taking, but I am expecting Part II, I don't expect to be divisible among the critics, ever if some of them didn't liked that much they tend to recognize where there are merits.

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
YES ITS HERE
Interesting that she points out that the fat geralt guy says "I swear" right before Ellie shoots him just like Joel said at the end of the first game.Never made the "connection" in my mind
Me neither, but I don't think there's any significance to it like Tofu implies. Like, fat geralt's not important to her in any way, and he doesn't mean anything by it. And I doubt that Ellie gives any significance to the phrase itself given that she had Joel repeat his lie in different forms over the years afterwards. It's more that Ellie is just a cold ass motherfucker who executed him since she was done with him.

Anyway, a little more than a week and LoU2 will be PS5 capable. Goodbye to loading screens and (for me) hello higher resolution, baby 😁

Oct 25, 2017
Damn...you could practically hear Tofu's heart breaking during the last half of that fight. I teared up for her. Tofu wanted a Directors Cut of this game with more Lev and Abby lol, she really loved those characters.

Last edited:
Dunkey released another tlou2 video

Trolling the haters
My personal favorite argument he made was about how dumb it is to compare Joel in part 2 to first half of the first game. I absolutely agree how stupid it is to do that because it's like being mad that Rick on twd doesn't act like he did in season 1 vs. season 9. i guess these morons don't know what a character arc is.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this two days ago. I only have a couple hours a week to play games so this game took about 2 months to complete. Despite the game being masterful in nearly every aspect, by the end I was definitely feeling kind of desperate for it to be over so that I could just move on.

LOVE Abby and Lev, I hope they star in Part 3.

Kind of conflicted on the ending. I guess that is to be expected since TLOU's ending was conflicting. After TLOU I absolutely hated Joel and I was upset that I had to play as him. But I loved that the game made me feel that way, it felt very daring and provocative. TLOUII repeats that that, but I don't think it was quite as effective.

Obviously Ellie's choices are completely illogical, and that's fine, but you have to make the viewer truly believe in the character's emotional brokenness, and I'm not sure that it was fully sold. Maybe it's because I didn't read her journal in detail, but tbh I shouldn't have to. The one trauma episode in the barn doesn't really work as a justification on it's own, since that is the first time I have seen Ellie go through that, it feels like a last-second justification that was only there as a plot tool. If they had sold me more on Ellie's brokenness throughout the Seattle section maybe it would have worked better. Maybe something was lost on me since my gameplay sessions were multiple weeks apart.

The way I think of it is that Ellie's anger towards Joel for lying, and her anger towards Abby for killing Joel have become mixed together. Abby took away Ellie's chance to fully forgive Joel, thus the only way for Ellie to forgive Joel is to kill Abby. During their final fight Abby decides she forgives Joel anyways, and thus no longer needs to kill Abby.

I'm not sure if that's how other fans feel (I have not talked to any one about this game til now), but I think there is definitely a powerful story to be told using those themes, I just don't think that ND fully capitalized on that potential with their storytelling technique. That moment where Ellie flashes to Joel playing guitar and in that moment she seems to forgive him... it's just unsatisfying.

It's a weird game because it is SO GOOD in almost every area, and it is great at making the player fully buy in to the world. But when you are that into it, even the smallest nitpick can significantly color how you see the game overall.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Ellie's choices are completely illogical, and that's fine, but you have to make the viewer truly believe in the character's emotional brokenness, and I'm not sure that it was fully sold. Maybe it's because I didn't read her journal in detail, but tbh I shouldn't have to. The one trauma episode in the barn doesn't really work as a justification on it's own, since that is the first time I have seen Ellie go through that, it feels like a last-second justification that was only there as a plot tool. If they had sold me more on Ellie's brokenness throughout the Seattle section maybe it would have worked better. Maybe something was lost on me since my gameplay sessions were multiple weeks apart.

The journal is important because Ellie has difficulty expressing her feelings, and especially her grief, to people. This goes back to the original game where she'd constantly want to talk to Joel about death she's seen (like Tess, Sam and Henry's) and he's always shut her down. So that journal is a way for her to get out her feelings without talking to someone else. In one entry she even talks about how she doesn't understand how Dina's able to talk to JJ about Jesse so easily because it'd be too painful for her to talk about Joel. So her journal is one of the rare times where there's actually a plot justification for a journal having important character development.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I don't know what the consensus on Dunkey is right now around here so I won't link the video, as I know he had a bit of controversy, but he has a newer video about the criticism surrounding The Last of Us 2 and it's pretty great.

One thing I thought was interesting is that in the film world the movie Hacksaw Ridge was criticized for being a condemnation of violence while ultimately being a violent movie. I always thought that was silly, especially since many Vietnam war movies are ultimately anti-war, but still plenty violent. Dunkey mentions The Last of Us 2 as a condemnation of revenge/violence and it just made me appreciate that reviewers ultimately didn't criticize it for being grotesquely violent while condemning the violence/revenge.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently on my second playthrough Abby hospital and in my opinion the pacing, encounter design and setpieces are perfection. Not even Resident Evil 4 can match TloU2 in those aspects for me.

Some kind of Mercenaries mode would be amazing for TloU2 by the way.

Once the multiplayer drops this game will be an unbelievable package.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently on my second playthrough Abby hospital and in my opinion the pacing, encounter design and setpieces are perfection. Not even Resident Evil 4 can match TloU2 in those aspects for me.

Some kind of Mercenaries mode would be amazing for TloU2 by the way.

Once the multiplayer drops this game will be an unbelievable package.

Going back into a NG+ with all the weapons (especially Ellie's silence submachine gun) and upgrades really offers such a cool flow to the combat. As you said, a Mercenaries mode for it in in something like Factions would be an amazing addition. They combat engine is super flexible so hopefully they're really looking into more gameplay opportunities through new game modes with it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I thought was interesting is that in the film world the movie Hacksaw Ridge was criticized for being a condemnation of violence while ultimately being a violent movie. I always thought that was silly, especially since many Vietnam war movies are ultimately anti-war, but still plenty violent. Dunkey mentions The Last of Us 2 as a condemnation of revenge/violence and it just made me appreciate that reviewers ultimately didn't criticize it for being grotesquely violent while condemning the violence/revenge.
I hadn't seen that criticism but it is an exceedingly dumb one. That's like criticizing Breaking Bad for having drugs in it.

The journal is important because Ellie has difficulty expressing her feelings, and especially her grief, to people.
I'm fine with the journal, but they really should of not put critical character motive in ff 13 style data logs.... in my opinion, a better option would have been to have Ellie have moments akin to life is strange where the character can sit down in certain areas to contemplate about what's going on around them... it just would if been a way more interesting way to get in Ellie's head, while keeping her closed off.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Going back into a NG+ with all the weapons (especially Ellie's silence submachine gun) and upgrades really offers such a cool flow to the combat. As you said, a Mercenaries mode for it in in something like Factions would be an amazing addition. They combat engine is super flexible so hopefully they're really looking into more gameplay opportunities through new game modes with it.
Yep the gameplay is suited for fast intense action and for slow thoughtful stealthy MGS approach alike. Both feel amazing.

It depends on ND and what their vision is for future modes.
I'm really thirsty for informations about the multiplayer.

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
Here's my tribute to my 2020 GOTY and also GOTG for myself in the form of everyone's favorite golfer: Abby :)

Dedicated to the fantastic team at Naughty Dog with special mention to Neil Druckmann, Hailey Gross and Laura Bailey.

She's still not finished but around 90% done. Still want to slap on some washes to ad some shadows and definition to her arms etc and also some more dirt here and there. Also have some slight unexpected uneven joints where i will need to fill in some cracks.

The model is by Maurio Gnani (kirin_bolt on instagram) and can be found for free on CGTrader. Printed in resin and painted by me.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I'm fine with the journal, but they really should of not put critical character motive in ff 13 style data logs.... in my opinion, a better option would have been to have Ellie have moments akin to life is strange where the character can sit down in certain areas to contemplate about what's going on around them... it just would if been a way more interesting way to get in Ellie's head, while keeping her closed off.
I actually like the subtle approach a lot because it makes you think about the character motivations, and a lot of those are not even clear to the character themselves just as they are not clear to us. This is the sign of actually interesting character work as opposed to even something like GoW which resorts to Kratos giving a monologue to spell out the point of the game.

This is what makes this game 'novel-like' in it's approach.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
uAnjZeq.png

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The problem with ff13 is the lore "item description" stuff is very confusing even by reading it. In last of us2, the way journal description tells is way more interesting. It is not the "what", but "how". You get what i mean right

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Stuckmann quickly said his thoughts about it at the end of his Miles review. He didn't end up doing a review from how toxic and contentious things got(mostly on the side of the haters), but might at some point. He liked it less than 1, but still really liked it and loved the risk taking.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
This video just popped up in my youtube subscriptions. Haven't seen HyperBitHero's videos in a looong time, but they used to be good: