• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Remember the part of the Nora chase where you have to break windows? If you try to cheat the game and catch up to Nora by breaking the windows before opening the door she barricades, you can see her turn into Sonic haha she zoomed down the hallway so fast, I never had a chance

Also, another tidbit about the Japanese script. There are times when the nuance is more than lost, it's actually misunderstood. This happens a lot to translators. Sometimes there isn't enough time or context to figure out the meaning of the words in the excel sheet.

The example I have is when Nora says to Ellie, "Why would I tell you? I'm already dead anyway." She's clearly referring to the spores, but instead of saying this, she says something along the lines of 言ってもどうせ私を殺すでしょ? Which means, "You're gonna kill me even if I tell you, aren't you?" It's not that big of a deal because the context is there for the players, but it does change what you understand about the characters a bit.

And to follow up one of my last posts, Ice Cube actually does play in the Japanese version of the game, I just couldn't hear it because of my audio settings...

So can you even sneak in Grounded? I tried a few encounters, and it seems that taking anybody down with a regular sneak attack alerts everybody around.

You can, but from my experience so far, all of your enemies have better hearing than on survival. Sneak kills have to be done a certain distance away, and you have to move slower when sneaking up on infected.

Last edited:

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
SWeWIs6.gif

Sweet. Could only have been better if it said, GOAT

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the part of the Nora chase where you have to break windows? If you try to cheat the game and catch up to Nora by breaking the windows before opening the door she barricades, you can see her turn into Sonic haha she zoomed down the hallway so fast, I never had a chance

Also, another tidbit about the Japanese script. There are times when the nuance is more than lost, it's actually misunderstood. This happens a lot to translators. Sometimes there isn't enough time or context to figure out the meaning of the words in the excel sheet.

The example I have is when Nora says to Ellie, "Why would I tell you? I'm already dead anyway." She's clearly referring to the spores, but instead of saying this, she says something along the lines of 言ってもどうせ私を殺すでしょ? Which means, "You're gonna kill me even if I tell you, aren't you?" It's not that big of a deal because the context if there for the players, but it does change what you understand about the characters a bit.

And to follow up one of my last posts, Ice Cube actually does play in the Japanese version of the game, I just couldn't hear it because of my audio settings...
That makes sense. The little nuances of the writing are so important in this, so it's tough to get down, but can change context.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I need to see this, I need to try this.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What is fucking wrong with some people?

Could we....maybe not post shit like this here?

This thread doesn't need to be an archive of every shitty TLoU2 take, and it particularly doesn't need to give any attention to ones that are just naked homophobia by some no-name rando on the internet. If this was someone famous saying it, sure, that's news worthy. If it was somehow funny, sure, that's entertaining. This is just disgusting.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

This thread doesn't need to be an archive of every shitty TLoU2 take, and it particularly doesn't need to give any attention to ones that are just naked homophobia by some no-name rando on the internet. If this was someone famous saying it, sure, that's news worthy. If it was somehow funny, sure, that's entertaining. This is just disgusting.
It wasn't even on /r/thelastofus2 which is why it's just more shocking.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York

I second this; I usually lurk on these threads to view some pretty great discussion (and sometimes some really polarizing takes for some spice). These disgusting takes don't really add much, sometimes they're worth a laugh but majority of the time it's just really nasty.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Yaas haha, will get use when it's time to vote lol

<3

Thanks as always. Looking for more ways to experiment with that. ;P

Sweet. Could only have been better if it said, GOAT

That can be arranged. >:)

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Do allies break stealth often on harder difficulties? It never happened to me on Moderate or Hard+.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Do allies break stealth often on harder difficulties? It never happened to me on Moderate or Hard+.

I really think they do, yeah. On my last playthrough on Survivor, Dina always tried to hide right in front of me at the most inappropriate times, making me fail my stealth attempts (and some throws...) a lot!

It never happened to me before on Moderate or Hard+.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
I really think they do, yeah. On my last playthrough on Survivor, Dina always tried to hide right in front of me at the most inappropriate times, making me fail my stealth attempts (and some throws...) a lot!

It never happened to me before on Moderate or Hard+.
Oh that sounds too annoying lol.

I'm sure people who complained about Ellie not breaking stealth in Part 1 are happy now!

Oct 25, 2017
" all im gonna say is that the game makes me wanna beat the shit out of 1 of the voice actors in the game and the director of the game"
Some people on Twitch are very lucky that I don't have any modding powers.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean tbh those are essetntially threats, they should be reported and banned.
Wait, I can report him? I hate this fucking asshole. Dude thinks going "woke" and having female lead games is a bad thing. This being said in a stream of an Asian woman. Also referred to Abby as "gorilla girl" and thinks it's perfectly reasonable to call her this because "they call her that in Japan" got mad when I called it a "sexist, misogynistic hot take." I hate gamers.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I can report him? I hate this fucking asshole. Dude thinks going "woke" and having female lead games is a bad thing. This being said in a stream of an Asian woman. Also referred to Abby as "gorilla girl" and thinks it's perfectly reasonable to call her this because "they call her that in Japan" got mad when I called it a "sexist, misogynistic hot take." I hate gamers.
Yea...that's why I barely go on twitch with a few exceptions. It's almost all unfiltered garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea...that's why I barely go on twitch with a few exceptions. It's almost all unfiltered garbage.
Twitch is practically the only way I interact with people and crack jokes with people. I shouldn't have to not do something because some toxic sexist asshole wants to be a toxic sexist asshole. I can't say "shut the fuck up you racist asshole" without being the person in the "wrong" some dudes really need to get banned by people that aren't mods.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch is practically the only way I interact with people and crack jokes with people. I shouldn't have to not do something because some toxic sexist asshole wants to be a toxic sexist asshole. I can't say "shut the fuck up you racist asshole" without being the person in the "wrong" some dudes really need to get banned by people that aren't mods.
To quote Joel, "I wish things were different". Shouldn't be that way, but there is basically nothing to do about it unfornately. It's shitty.
Considering a melee kill only Grounded run (minus stage > 2 infected).

Melee only ratking run.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

The example I have is when Nora says to Ellie, "Why would I tell you? I'm already dead anyway." She's clearly referring to the spores, but instead of saying this, she says something along the lines of 言ってもどうせ私を殺すでしょ? Which means, "You're gonna kill me even if I tell you, aren't you?" It's not that big of a deal because the context is there for the players, but it does change what you understand about the characters a bit.
Just quoting this to highlight it. It's something I sort of love about being bilingual.

This is exceptionally common in Japanese scripts for western media. Watching Wolf of Wall Street in theaters in Japan was a fascinating experience because of how off the subtitles were from the dialogue itself. The script had no way to properly translate or approach the swearing, so the scene where Margot Robbie and Dicaprio fight ("Don't fuckin throw that water on me!") was comically different. "Please honey, don't dump water on me!". This persisted through every single scene in the film due to the high amount of swearing and hostility.

It's an interesting translation issue and one that comes up very frequently when bringing western media to Japanese audiences.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
You can find good twitch communities but they are, invariably, smaller communities. Once a twitch streamer becomes big, regardless of how caring and nice they are, the chat becomes too big to be properly moderated, whole thing becomes a shit show.

But there are some streamers who stream out to like say... 500 people, and have moderators keeping the chat nice and pleasant, and I can enjoy those streams.

Oct 25, 2017
You can find good twitch communities but they are, invariably, smaller communities. Once a twitch streamer becomes big, regardless of how caring and nice they are, the chat becomes too big to be properly moderated, whole thing becomes a shit show.

But there are some streamers who stream out to like say... 500 people, and have moderators keeping the chat nice and pleasant, and I can enjoy those streams.
Was in a Twitch chat no bigger than 45 people and she was playing Sekiro. Some dumbasses just inhabit some of these places and use it as a dumping ground to complain about the game. I don't think her mod was there, but that guy is a regular for some odd reason, probably likes looking at the pretty woman. I'd ban that guy so hard his unborn grandchildren would feel that shit. Thing is she's interested in playing the game, toxic fucks just contaminate these places trying to indoctrinate people. The game went "woke" therefore it's bad.
This is great. I love the end of that fight, it's so harrowing, yet pretty, it's just fucking sad though.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I've got another Japanese translation that I think was interesting because it paints the character in a different light. You meet Jesse at Hillcrest and he says "You think I'd let you do this alone?" However, in the Japanese, he says something like 俺だけ仲間はずれにされるか? One bland but clear translation of this would be, "So I'm the only one that gets left out?" It probably comes off as a joke in Japanese, but it's wildly different. His motivation becomes explicitly selfish in Japanese.

Just quoting this to highlight it. It's something I sort of love about being bilingual.

This is exceptionally common in Japanese scripts for western media. Watching Wolf of Wall Street in theaters in Japan was a fascinating experience because of how off the subtitles were from the dialogue itself. The script had no way to properly translate or approach the swearing, so the scene where Margot Robbie and Dicaprio fight ("Don't fuckin throw that water on me!") was comically different. "Please honey, don't dump water on me!". This persisted through every single scene in the film due to the high amount of swearing and hostility.

It's an interesting translation issue and one that comes up very frequently when bringing western media to Japanese audiences.
That's amazing and hilarious. Yeah, the f-bombs in this game definitely create a hurdle for the Japanese translators. Imagine translating a script that's filled with one word that's hardly ever used in your language...

Someone did it already

I was struggling on Hard+ and had to increase resources...

I wonder if it's harder to do permadeath on regular Grounded. Having all of your weapons is an absolute godsend in a lot of situations.

That being said, I think I'm more impressed with the 14 hours, yeesh, that's fast.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
So Japan really does have a problem translating the F word huh...the original Japanese for Black Lagoon must be fucking weird.
Yeahhh, you can see them working really hard to get around it with the millions of ways they've translated it.

It'd be like rewording the English script to remove all instances. The f-word becomes lots of things:
"The worst"
"Jeez, this is awkward"
"I'll kill every last one of you!"
"The 'Kill Fedra' gate"

And a lot of the time, it just becomes nothing lol

"What are you doing Joel?! Get up!"

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhh, you can see them working really hard to get around it with the millions of ways they've translated it.

It'd be like rewording the English script to remove all instances. The f-word becomes lots of things:
"The worst"
"Jeez, this is awkward"
"I'll kill every last one of you!"
"The 'Kill Fedra' gate"

And a lot of the time, it just becomes nothing lol

"What are you doing Joel?! Get up!"
Wow. Yea, seems like it's so tough to translate the game over a whole.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
This one seems the most egregious since it is still written there in plane text on the gate.
Yeah, this was one of the few times I was surprised that they didn't just use the English loan word, but I guess that just goes to show you how uncommon of a term it is in Japanese. They thought they had to change it to "kill," or "crush," or something understandable

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not really bashing the translators, it's just a fascinating topic for me

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The 14 hours is honestly the impressive part of that grounded permanent death screenshot to me. I get that is with like... skipping every cutscene, knowing the path through the game, etc. But my grounded playthrough has been such slow careful going, you know? Doing all that in 14 hours is not slow careful play right.

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not really bashing the translators, it's just a fascinating topic for me

No yeah, by all means. It is very interesting to hear about the translation differences and stuff like that. Many of us would never know about it otherwise.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
The 14 hours is honestly the impressive part of that grounded permanent death screenshot to me. I get that is with like... skipping every cutscene, knowing the path through the game, etc. But my grounded playthrough has been such slow careful going, you know? Doing all that in 14 hours is not slow careful play right.
He mentions in the twitter thread that he practiced encounters on a separate save till he could perfect them - that is why it is 14 hours (which is still very impressive).

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
What is fucking wrong with some people?
20200820-162634.png
How was it ever established that she can pass her immunity on? How would anyone know in this world? Even if she had a baby, how would they figure out if it is immune? Let it get bitten and see what happens? There are so many layers to this, it's no wonder ND made the choice not to address any of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself so tempted to do a second run through. I just don't want to lose another 40 hours to this game when free time is so scarce and I have this ridiculous backlog. Some day....

The person mentioned having practiced a lot using the Encounters mode and it sounds like they had a certain script for most areas to ensure they mitigated risk as much as possible. That would produce a pretty quick run time.

....not to say it isn't impressive.