• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It could be a lot worse, it could go full on Kojima and have every player state every single thing they are thinking. The ellie vs abby fight would have them monologing for 10 minutes about how wronged they both were.
Oh, absolutely. Death Stranding was even worse and I was really embarassed at some scenes because everything was so dumb and characters were spouting dumb exposition shit nonstop.

My problem with TLOU II is that it tries some good things: playing as the "antagonist", making the player face that the MC is a violent stupid being etc... I don't like that the main plot is mostly about dumb revenge but I can understand what they tried. As I said before my problem is that they decided to spam "special moments" to the player all the time, specially as flashbacks, ruining not only the pacing but also the amazing feeling that is putting all the pieces together and understanding the character thanks to small, subtle details or conversations.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game today (loved it), and i just finished reading the whole Spoiler thread. Some really hot takes in the old thread lol.

Anyway, Abby is amazing and probably the best character ND ever made, in my opinion. I was kinda mad at Ellie for leaving the farm so she can have her revenge.

Last edited:

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
In every one of those scenarios, Ellie points a gun at their heads sooooooooo.......lol

She even tells Nora she doesn't mind alerting all the soldiers if it means she's dead. Then she beats an already dying Nora over the head with a pipe for information.

The point of my post was not to blame the people for attacking her.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Plenty do excuse her murders. Its not so much she was justified as people say, "we don't know what she would've done." She was never given the option to actually torture and/or kill someone that was just there at Joel's murder, especially a pregnant woman. Nora's already "dead" when she clubs her to death. So, the question remains whether she would have tortured Owen and Mel against each other, Tommy/Joel style, if they didn't cooperate? That's unclear as the choice is taken from her.

So, was she not going to slice Lev's neck at the end?
I don't think so, she had lost her will by that point and we see that when she can't bring herself to kill Abby.

Apr 27, 2020
0ZRFEQI.gif

I did the disarm thing except they had a gun and Abby blew his brains out with it :O

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
TLOU 1 has a much simpler plot imo, it's easy to grasp and understand. This one also really isn't that narratively deep, but it does dive deeper into character development and those moments appeared to have just gone right over ppls heads. The amount of streamers I've seen where the reconciliation scene just goes right over their head is alarming lol, they have no idea what the ending means not just for Ellie going forward but how it sheds light on so many of her struggles throughout the game.

Yup. I guess the overarching themes of the first are much more subtle but the character stuff here is more subtle imo.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty do excuse her murders. Its not so much she was justified as people say, "we don't know what she would've done." She was never given the option to actually torture and/or kill someone that was just there at Joel's murder, especially a pregnant woman. Nora's already "dead" when she clubs her to death. So, the question remains whether she would have tortured Owen and Mel against each other, Tommy/Joel style, if they didn't cooperate? That's unclear as the choice is taken from her.
Plenty of people think wearing a mask is dangerous because you get CO2 poisoning by breathing in the air your exhaling, I wouldn't take it overly seriously.

As for that, a lot of the tension lies with the fact that we aren't certain exactly how far she'll go. That's with any revenge story, because you have the hero threaten to do X if the other guy doesn't do what they want, and X is super bad, so you assume the hero is bluffing, but so is the other guy, and you don't know which it is. It's the sort of thing you reveal, if at all, at the climax, because if your character does it at any point, then they basically have no tension in future situations that rely on them making the decision to go that far. And I think most would agree that point was her putting a knife to Lev's throat so Ellie can get her cage match against an opponent that not only suffered beyond any humane punishment, but who attempted to take the high road even when ellie first attacked her. At this point, Ellie's not even about killing her, because if she really wanted to, she'd have stabbed Abby who'd have let her. She's threatening to kill lev so she can get a cage match, Anyone whose reasonable is going to recognize that as simply depraved regardless of whehter she'd have followed through with Lev, which imo she would have.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, absolutely. Death Stranding was even worse and I was really embarassed at some scenes because everything was so dumb and characters were spouting dumb exposition shit nonstop.

My problem with TLOU II is that it tries some good things: playing as the "antagonist", making the player face that the MC is a violent stupid being etc... I don't like that the main plot is mostly about dumb revenge but I can understand what they tried. As I said before my problem is that they decided to spam "special moments" to the player all the time, specially as flashbacks, ruining not only the pacing but also the amazing feeling that is putting all the pieces together and understanding the character thanks to small, subtle details or conversations.

Agreed.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Fair enough I guess, agree to disagree. I just didn't really see those mostly being the intetion of the flashbacks. The ellie ones were about progressing the plotline of Joel's lie which was climax of the first game, it couldn't be ignored.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Finished it last night. Masterpiece is the only way I can describe it. The choices and consequences made sense.

I will say though the only thing I didn't like were the fake scenes in trailers. Switching Jesse with Joel and stuff...I appreciate film and game studios using clever editing for audience misdirection, but there was nothing clever about that really. It was just straight up...lying lol.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yup. I guess the overarching themes of the first are much more subtle but the character stuff here is more subtle imo.
I'm not even talking about everyone, I've seen ppl articulate their issues with the narrative very well and I understand it. However a lot of ppl just seem to have wanted a plot based around Joel and Ellie going on another romp together, which is fine, I'm just glad they went the path of trying to tell a story that isn't handicapped by plot armor for the main characters.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
This is a small nitpick, but does anyone know why Ellie (and sometimes Abby) slowly open up cabinets and drawers? The one with Dina at the beginning I get, because it's setting up a scripted event of Dina giving you something to craft a health kit, but what about the others? There were a couple in the bank and just in random houses.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Finished it last night. Masterpiece is the only way I can describe it. The choices and consequences made sense.

I will say though the only thing I didn't like were the fake scenes in trailers. Switching Jesse with Joel and stuff...I appreciate film and game studios using clever editing for audience misdirection, but there was nothing clever about that really. It was just straight up...lying lol.
Pretty sure it was editing though, it wasn't faked. People spotted that when the trailer came out that it wasn't Joel who stopped Ellie, Joel was inside and Ellie was outside.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much, and the irony here is I personally didn't even find the story all that special or great. It's fine, it works, it's very well produced and fancy looking, and the performances are outrageously good, but it wears its intentions on its sleeve right from start and spends like 30 fucking hours beating you over the head with it. And this is an extension of ideas from the last game that was hardly subtle either. I'm just baffled at how much of this goes over peoples heads, particularly people who elevate Joel to this untouchable heroism yet detest Abby's intoxication with revenge.

You're not supposed to leave the credits rolling on "The Last of Us" thinking "MAN FUCK JOEL IS SO COOL WHAT A GREAT GUY HE'S A PERFECT HERO HOLY CRAP WHAT A MAN'S MAN TRUE AMERICAN COWBOY HERO HERE TO SAVE THE DAY HELL YEAH SHOOT THEM SURGEONS". You're supposed to feel conflicted that a person who has done many unforgivably awful terrible monstrous things to innocent people just also did something incredibly violent and destructive for reasons born of love rather than hate and it might have been the right thing or maybe it was the wrong thing but it is what it is. Abby is literally the same character framed under different circumstances; she abandons pursuit of a future and personal growth to become intoxicated with revenge which ultimately leads to violence, and only finds a personal salvation in reconnecting with a love for humanity and trying to return to her roots.

If Joel saved an innocent kid, Abby did too. And they're both murderers.

I know this post will sound condescending, but having read your thoughtful and detailed posts for years (even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them), bear in mind you're saying this as someone who's likely smarter than the typical audience member or gamer playing this game. Your understanding or analysis of narrative and character nuance, morality, conflict, critical thinking ability etc, is likely a bit more comprehensive than many out there.

As such, perhaps try and look at things from a broader, more casual perspective, which is the challenge Druckmann and Gross would have faced.

The reality is, TLOU2's story and writing is actually still too nuanced and subtle for countless people out there.

Some still spectacularly missed the points and themes drawn, including those you referenced in your post, and yet your complaint is that the game wore its intentions too blatantly.

I think there's an argument to be made that actually, for some or many, it didn't wear them obviously enough. But then that goes down the rabbit hole of having to diminish writing quality or realism, in order to pander to less astute audiences, which I think would be the wrong move too.

Point is, some actually need to be spoon fed narrative context in a more on the nose way in order to have a chance at understanding it, and I think TLOU2 struck a pretty good balance between realism, informative delivery and allowing for subjective interpretation.

As I stated earlier, in the end, based on much of the reaction, it turns out Druckmann didn't over-sell Abby's destruction and redemption (not to mention parallels to Joel) to account for gamers excess of empathy, instead he under-sold it, failing to account for countless gamers lack of empathy.

Likewise, he didn't over-sell Ellie's PTSD, breakdown and suffering. For many he still undersold it, as some were still seemingly incapable of understanding why she would continue to seek out Abby despite having what some deemed as a cozy, comfortable life with Dina and the baby, somehow completely ignoring the PTSD episodes, her not being able to eat, sleep, function etc.

And this sort of thing extends to many other narrative beats as well, eg the complaint about Joel being too trusting of Abby's crew. The whole living in a nice community for 4 years, having Ellie, trading with countless friendly outsiders, working with Abby to escape the storm etc, were all not enough for some to appreciate why Joel might be more trusting, instead they needed these things to be made more blatantly clear. The context was too subtle.

So whilst I understand some of the themes may have been a tad too on the nose for yourself and a couple of others on this forum I enjoy posts from, I think for certain broader audiences, ironically, it may not have been obvious enough.

Last edited:

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible to love a story that has significant flaws. Do I think it was silly that Abby went to the edge of the world and back to get medical supplies to help a kid she barely knew? Yea. Do I not love when characters like Tommy and Jesse show up just in time for a significant story beat? Yea. But I also can't control the feeling I have when the game ends and the credits are rolling. And the TLOU2 left me feeling like no game since maybe MGS1. For the world being so dark and oppressive in the game, I miss it dearly.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Fair enough I guess, agree to disagree. I just didn't really see those mostly being the intetion of the flashbacks. The ellie ones were about progressing the plotline of Joel's lie which was climax of the first game, it couldn't be ignored.
IMO they could handle this in a more subtle or short way. I think that if Joel only appeared in a short flashback (the one were Ellie confronts him about the lie), it would have impacted me a lot more. Instead Joel shows in a lot of flashbacks, so the moment felt like "another one". And I don't mean that the content of the flashbacks is not good, is that the game never needs most of them, it seems poorly edited. For example the Dinosaur Expo flashback has some good moments, but never made me feel different about Joel as I already played TLOU1. And by the time you're playing as Abby, you are fully expecting all the flashbacks so the impact is reduced a lot. Maybe the best way I feel to describe TLOU II is unedited. The game has too much sections that kill the pacing and don't offer anything relevant tbh.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm responding to this part of your quote:

Ellie's actions already show whether she would let them live or not.

I disagree? Pointing a gun at someone's head and saying "talk or I shoot" does not mean you will shoot. Over the course of the game she more and more stops caring about the group and focusing all her aggression towards Abby. At the start? Yeah she'd probably just shoot Owen and Mel because they were part of the group, by the end of Day 3? She desperately wanted to find Abby and no longer cared about the others. I do believe there is a chance that if Mel had immediately sold Abby out that scene would have played differently.

And I am saying this opinion of mine is still subjective, not arguing I am objectively and definitively right..

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
My schools didn't teach certain things outside of AP classes. If you weren't labelled gifted when you were younger and placed into special classes or if you didn't actively sign up for AP classes later in high school, you didn't get the same type of education as the students that did.

These things ranged from stuff like critical thinking, literary analysis to learning how to do your taxes.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Pretty sure it was editing though, it wasn't faked. People spotted that when the trailer came out that it wasn't Joel who stopped Ellie, Joel was inside and Ellie was outside.
It was a model swap, I think. Joel never says "You think I'd let you do this on your own?" in the game, either. Neil confirmed on the spoilercast that they specifically recorded stuff for the trailers.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that the new infected/clicker types weren't that great (Especially in comparison to the new human enemies. I fucking love the seraphites). Variety is always great, don't get me wrong, but the Shamblers and Stalkers were meh. The first set piece with the Stalkers in the office building was cool, but outside of that I found them annoying. Nothing came close to seeing the Bloater in the gym for the first time in TLoU.

Rat King was great, though.

I didn't mind the Shamblers though I hated how you had to go loud to take care of them. Stalkers I wasn't a fan of at all, on their own they were fine since they were easy enough to kill but I hated having them with other infected because it was easy for everything to pop off. They were also kind of unsettling. I'm a huge chickenshit with horror games but I love ND's games so I forced myself to deal with it and something about the Stalkers creeping around you was the creepiest part of the game for me.

I didn't care about the boss fight. Though part of it was how dark the room you fought it was, I honestly didn't realize how big that area was until after I killed it. I ran around the same 2 rooms over and over thinking that's the only space there was.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I disagree? Pointing a gun at someone's head and saying "talk or I shoot" does not mean you will shoot. Over the course of the game she more and more stops caring about the group and focusing all her aggression towards Abby. At the start? Yeah she'd probably just shoot Owen and Mel because they were part of the group, by the end of Day 3? She desperately wanted to find Abby and no longer cared about the others. I do believe there is a chance that if Mel had immediately sold Abby out that scene would have played differently.

And I am saying this opinion of mine is still subjective, not arguing I am objectively and definitively right..

We don't know, she always promised to let everyone go but no one ever cooperated lol.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
It was a model swap, I think. Joel never says "You think I'd let you do this on your own?" in the game, either. Neil confirmed on the spoilercast that they specifically recorded stuff for the trailers.
It's both. Yes, they re-recorded Joel saying Jessie's line, specifically for the trailer/preview event. But the other poster is also right - the shot of Joel saying the line is not the same shot of Jessie saying the line.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I know this post will sound condescending, but having read your thoughtful and detailed posts for years (even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them), bear in mind you're saying this as someone who's likely smarter than the typical audience member or gamer playing this game. Your understanding or analysis of narrative and character nuance, morality, conflict, critical thinking ability etc, is likely a bit more comprehensive than many out there.

As such, perhaps try and look at things from a broader, more casual perspective, which is the challenge Druckmann and Gross would have faced.

The reality is, TLOU2's story and writing is actually still too nuanced and subtle for countless people out there.

Some still spectacularly missed the points and themes drawn, including those you referenced in your post, and yet your complaint is that the game wore its intentions too blatantly.

I think there's an argument to be made that actually, for some or many, it didn't wear them obviously enough. But then that goes down the rabbit hole of having to diminish writing quality or realism, in order to pander to less astute audiences, which I think would be the wrong move too.

Point is, some actually need to be spoon fed narrative context in a more on the nose way in order to have a chance at understanding it, and I think TLOU2 struck a pretty good balance between realism and informative delivery.

As I stated earlier, in the end, based on much of the reaction, it turns out Druckmann didn't over-sell Abby's destruction and redemption (not to mention parallels to Joel) to account for gamers excess of empathy, instead he under-sold it, failing to account for countless gamers lack of empathy.

Likewise, he didn't over-sell Ellie's PTSD, breakdown and suffering. For many he still undersold it, as some were still seemingly incapable of understanding why she would continue to seek out Abby despite having what some deemed as a cozy, comfortable life with Dina and the baby, somehow completely ignoring the PTSD episodes, her not being able to eat, sleep, function etc.

And this sort of thing extends to many other narrative beats as well, eg the complaint about Joel being too trusting of Abby's crew. The whole living in a nice community for 4 years, having Ellie, trading with countless friendly outsiders, working with Abby to escape the storm etc, were all not enough for some to appreciate why Joel might be more trusting, instead they needed these things to be made more blatantly clear. The context was too subtle.

So whilst I understand some of the themes may have been a tad too on the nose for yourself and a couple of others on this forum I enjoy posts from, I think for broader audiences, ironically, it may not have been obvious enough.
This

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that the new infected/clicker types weren't that great (Especially in comparison to the new human enemies. I fucking love the seraphites). Variety is always great, don't get me wrong, but the Shamblers and Stalkers were meh. The first set piece with the Stalkers in the office building was cool, but outside of that I found them annoying. Nothing came close to seeing the Bloater in the gym for the first time in TLoU.

Rat King was great, though.
Stalkers weren't new, although the way they were combined with other infected is something I don't remember happening in 1. Shamblers were definitely underwhelming mini-bloaters.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
IMO they could handle this in a more subtle or short way. I think that if Joel only appeared in a short flashback (the one were Ellie confronts him about the lie), it would have impacted me a lot more. Instead Joel shows in a lot of flashbacks, so the moment felt like "another one". And I don't mean that the content of the flashbacks is not good, is that the game never needs most of them, it seems poorly edited. For example the Dinosaur Expo flashback has some good moments, but never made me feel different about Joel as I already played TLOU1. And by the time you're playing as Abby, you are fully expecting all the flashbacks so the impact is reduced a lot. Maybe the best way I feel to describe TLOU II is unedited. The game has too much sections that kill the pacing and don't offer anything relevant tbh.
Well remember that the museum flashback was a year after the end of the first game. They wanted to show that at that point, their relationship was still all there, until Ellie had it spark back in her head seeing fireflies liars on the wall. The music shop one was to show that she clearly was having reservations of Joel at that point. Then the big reveal one was next. The 4 year timeskip basically made it necessary to go back to show how things went down.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

That's fair. I'm of the opinion in real life, and in this game's world, if someone points a gun at my head. They want to kill me. IIIRC Owen even says something along the lines of once we tell her, we're dead.

Stalkers are new. There was only runners, clickers and bloaters in the first game.
Stalkers are a returning enemy type. They were just barely used in the first game, that's why Ellie already knows what to call them.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My schools didn't teach certain things outside of AP classes. If you weren't labelled gifted when you were younger and placed into special classes or if you didn't actively sign up for AP classes later in high school, you didn't get the same type of education as the students that did.

These things ranged from stuff like critical thinking, literary analysis to learning how to do your taxes.
Same here certain subjects were only taught in AP, there was even couches and carpet in those classrooms while the rest had broken down chairs and tile floors. Still upsets me at 30.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Stalkers are new. There was only runners, clickers and bloaters in the first game.

To be accurate, Stalkers AREN'T new narratively, they were in the first game but only slightly different from runners. They are basically entirely new from a gameplay point of view.

That's fair. I'm of the opinion in real life, and in this game's world, if someone points a gun at my head. They want to kill me. IIIRC Owen even says something along the lines of once we tell her, we're dead.

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason Owen shouldn't have thought that. It was completely reasonable for him to try and attack her.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's both. Yes, they re-recorded Joel saying Jessie's line, specifically for the trailer/preview event. But the other poster is also right - the shot of Joel saying the line is not the same shot of Jessie saying the line.
You can see Ellie's in the same area (background) and Joel & Jesse are in the same exact place too, the stairs behind them are just from a different angle.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
It's amusing to see people claim that those three don't understand the characters, but then want that to be done Ellie. Because is what would be happening. Ellie struggles to do all the dark shit she does in this game. But then they want her to go off the deep end completely?

Its because they think Joels death went unpunished. (Totally disregarding that Joel was a fucking monster)

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Stalkers are a returning enemy type. They were just barely used in the first game, that's why Ellie already knows what to call them.
To be accurate, Stalkers AREN'T new narratively, they were in the first game but only slightly different from runners. They are basically entirely new from a gameplay point of view.

I played through the first game like 5-6 times over the years and I couldn't even tell you where one would be. They couldn't be very different, I sincerely don't even remember what they would be.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the first game like 5-6 times over the years and I couldn't even tell you where one would be. They couldn't be very different, I sincerely don't even remember what they would be.

Runners that move slower but have more health basically, If I remember right. They REALLY are basically the same enemy type and were mostly a narrative thing. You would have occasionally noticed basic infected who had more fungus on them than others.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty similar. Know where you are pretty much at all times, go from cover to cover, charge at you suddenly. But what was more interesting about them is that they were thrown in regular infected encounters where you're trying to sneak around clickers and such.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Runners that move slower but have more health basically, If I remember right. They REALLY are basically the same enemy type and were mostly a narrative thing. You would have occasionally noticed basic infected who had more fungus on them than others.

I probably just assumed they were different models for the runners.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The 4 year timeskip basically made it necessary to go back to show how things went down.
I wouldn't say necessary. I think that a couple of sentences and maybe a flashback at the end would be more than enough, the rest can be easily imagined. I mean, it's not that hard to figure that they were distant because of the lie, and knowing that Ellie is going to risk everything to avenge Joel tells us that she still cared for him a lot even if they were in a difficult position.

I understand that some people enjoy to watch how ND recreated all the steps, but to me it felt too obvious and a big waste of time in a game that is already too long.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
A bit off topic but any good movies that go well with the vibe of the game? (don't want to post on the OP as some may consider that spoiler).
Already watched the Road, Maggie, Children of Men, No country for old men and the girl with all the gifts this week :)
Mmmmmmmm... in no particular order and mostly with the most tenuous connections:
Stake Land (2010) has some similarities, nowhere near as complex though.
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds (1984) for a pretty epic post apocalyptic film about spores and war.
Prospect (2018) always had a TLOU1 connection to me, but that's just because of the protagonist pairing. Cool sci-fi film though.
Blue Ruin (2013) for a good take on revenge films.
The Breadwinner (2017), I'm reaching here for a connection to a beloved character in TLOU2, it's barely there, but I just wanna recommend this fantastic film.
Leave no Trace (2018) is about some kind of PTSD and off the grid living featuring a father daughter pairing. Thus maybe relevant.
It Comes at Night (2017) is a character drama set during an outbreak, more TLOU1 shortly post intro territory, but well worth watching in my opinion.
Embrace The Serpent (2015) might be a little reminiscent of some parts in the second half of TLOU2, but reaching again. Tonally it's cool though.
It is way harder to come up with films that are somewhat lastofusy than I thought if you ignore all the zombie movies :D
Edit: I'm immediately ashamed I didn't see the connection to You Were Never Really Here, but glad it was already recommended to you.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was impressive.

The game really grabbed me from the start. My heart was racing as I could see what they were setting up for an inciting event.

The characters were written perfectly. I thought Ellie was going to be somber and rage driven, but it was a believably cold and pragmatic response. I think I felt exactly how the game wanted me to feel about all of the characters.

The story at the mid-point of the game is where I came back down to reality. Abby's motivation was a disappointment - it's setup as something personal, I think Abby says to Joel 'Do you know who I am' (which feels like a mislead). It turning out to be obfuscation of the Fireflies getting revenge, which would probably be pitched the first story concept meeting, didn't payoff my interest. I had the thought of 'What if she was the daughter of the doctor they make you kill' in the moment and dismissed it. I'm not a fan of the 'Remember that moment? Well this person was in the other room' trope.

From there, although the Abby's friends were likeable, I don't think the story presented their case well. Showing how comfortable their situation was (relative to other groups in the TLOU world) eroded my sympathy. They're established as too competent to justify how clumsy and desperate the execution was.

It picked back up. I liked how the theatre fight framed Ellie - they really sell the derangement of her actions. I really liked what they did with Tommy - his 'fight' was perfectly intimidating, and his fate was heart-wrenching. Where Abby and Ellie end up felt really inspired - I thought the game would play the 'too unenviable for revenge' card with Abby's crew, but when they do it with Abby, ooof. Ellie and the guitar, again, ooof.

Oct 25, 2017

No, they were in the first game.

Stalkers are rather rare and are only encountered as the main enemy twice in The Last of Us: once in the basement of the hotel in Pittsburgh with a Bloater and once in the Sewers with a pair of Clickers. They are also encountered in the Left Behind DLC by Ellie for the first time on their own. Strangely, all of these places are either flooded or located near water; Stalkers often use this to their advantage, ambushing the player when they get close.

Status
Not open for further replies.