• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game (totally unspoiled) and now checking the internet is like wading into a sea of deep shit.
Not gonna do it, gonna read some reviews now but this game was great and the rabble screaming at it is embarrassing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
She can't play the guitar properly anymore, her last connection to Joel
She does still have her tattoo, which she had a moth included in, to match the moth on the third fret of the guitar that Joel gave her.

last-us-part-2-ending-guitar.jpg

1t3dvv2bc72y.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game (totally unspoiled) and now checking the internet is like wading into a sea of deep shit.
Not gonna do it, gonna read some reviews now but this game was great and the rabble screaming at it is embarrassing.
It's safe to discuss it here, and the main TLOU reddit (not the tlou2 one)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I like the story much more in retrospect... my biggest hangup was that Ellie didn't kill Abby at the end. maybe where this was the first time she had actually had the choice whether to kill Abby made it mean more to her. before, she was close, but this was the choice in the moment. I guess I have to assume l her other murders were meaningless b/c she didn't know any of the people or have any connection to them, so this was the only one that felt real.... but idk, this is just me trying to rationalize it. with Ellie coming off as more and more evil as the game went on, the ending didn't really make sense to me. do you all have thoughts on this?

Edit-just adding some things

a lot of Ellie's perspective was supposed to be inferred I think and she has thoughts you don't see. which I think makes her character arc more intriguing. the brief flashbacks of images of Joel in the last ellie abby fight made me think that wasn't enough to motivate her, like if it would show that why wouldn't it show more that would explain more? but I think I'm to assume that image or two was just shorthand for a whole train of Train of thoughts she had, as representation, not just a shortcut

I explained my interpretation in others posts so:

If Abby dies then Ellie probably wouldn't be able to forgive Joel, by letting her go is when she realizes that she can feel what Joel felt when he did what he did and by understanding him is how they can be at peace and that's her opportunity to make things right, to make what Joel couldn't and by extension what Abby couldn't.
Ellie does not need salvation like Joel (Ellie was Joel's and Lev is Abby's) and Abby did because she saved herself in the end.

Also, imagine Ellie killing Abby, if that happens then that means she's is no different than Joel, she would have gone to the same extremes that he went. So she wouldn't have to forgive him because he was right, she would have to apologize instead.

Of course we can discuss Joel's decision in our opinion, I would have done the same as him but this is Ellie's point of view and story and to her he did wrong, if she's going to forgive him she can't do the same thing he did.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
More on that stupid cartoon:

"Oh by the way. Not only does Ellie have no reason to want to hurt Lev, Lev is the one who stopped Abby from killing Dina. In front of Ellie. Lev basically saved Ellie's lover's (and the unborn baby's) life."

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If you actually like watching Let's Plays I will give one more shoutout to Christopher Odd who not only shows a pretty good understanding of the gameplay, but also has an open mind the entire time.
Oh did he play it already too? I watched his run of pt 1 while I was replaying the first game a few weeks ago. I don't think I'll be watching a full run right now but I will check out some key parts.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
But she does. She cracked Joel's head open right before Ellie's eyes as she was screaming and begging for his life to be spared. Joel didn't make her watch her father be shot or be beaten to death. Abby, as Mel put it, is "a piece of shit and and she always will be" and her latching on to this inexplicable need to help Lev and his sister didn't cleanse her soul. She was even going to gleefully kill Dina with the joy of knowing that she too was pregnant like Mel when she died but Lev stopped her.

She clearly is trying to be a better person, mainly for the sake of Lev, but she is still very much the monster Ellie saw her as and deserved everything that happened to her. Ellie was spared the first time because of Owen, then again because of Lev, but Ellie spared Abby because it was HER choice without any influence from anyone around her. That alone makes her a better person than Abby despite going on a vengeance killing spree.
d90cca3de2ca03f8221e5a9f7819221d.jpeg

Some people are too invested on Abby for some reason.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The start screen after the credits is their boat on the shore overlooking the round building that the Fireflies on the radio told them to look out for on Catalina Island. They made it

She'd need a new guitar.
I feel stupid for missing this. It feels odd that in the same part of the game, so near the end, they'd have two buildings mentioned that are so similarly styled and designed (one the Rattlers base with the prisoners, the other this Firefly place)... it's just kinda confusing in all honesty. I don't remember the radio call mentioning the building but I remembered that was where Abby was being held. Wonder why they did that. I just thought the new title screen was something to do with that prison and it sort of didn't make much sense as a result.

Edit: Speaking of that title screen, I love the misty one, is there any way to change it back once you complete the game?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got maybe halfway through a page of metacritic before the homophobic and transphobic shit made me feel bad that I didn't like the story more because
She does still have her tattoo, which she had a moth included in, to match the moth on the third fret of the guitar that Joel gave her.

last-us-part-2-ending-guitar.jpg

1t3dvv2bc72y.jpg
True, but like we mentioned before she can't properly play that guitar anymore because she's only got two fingers to work the frets.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think that's why I hated Ellie by the end but liked Abby. I said it before (and people keep getting mad about it when I mention it elsewhere) but it's a pretty standard revenge story. If you go down that route YOU WILL END UP WITH NOTHING. That's how those go. The only way to win is to stop. That's what Abby's figured out by the end and it's part of why I liked her. That's why she gets to win (or what is as close to winning as you can get in this universe) and Ellie loses.

That was the biggest NOPE I've had in a while.They infected the damn Kool Aid Man

Abby only stopped because Lev was horrified with what she was about to do to Dina. Abby is a great character but shes not any more moral. She also defended killing kids don't forget.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
If you actually like watching Let's Plays I will give one more shoutout to Christopher Odd who not only shows a pretty good understanding of the gameplay, but also has an open mind the entire time.
I would recommend Marz and Gab Smolders. I don't know what their reputations are in general. But I have enjoyed watching both of their TLOU playthroughs.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Abby only stopped because Lev was horrified with what she was about to do to Dina. Abby is a great character but shes not any more moral. She also defended killing kids don't forget.
Yeah that gave me pause earlier on. But I think it's actually a callback to what Owen said when he was about to kill that dude who was tired and ready to die. He was just done with all this shit, and so was she.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I got maybe halfway through a page of metacritic before the homophobic and transphobic shit made me feel bad that I didn't like the story more because

True, but like we mentioned before she can't properly play that guitar anymore because she's only got two fingers to work the frets.
Sure, my point was that her connection with Joel wasn't completely severed or anything. If anything, her inability to play the guitar anymore is more her inability to play the song Future Days anymore, and whatever you think that that symbolically might mean.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I could have done without the fingers (apparantly you do need more than three Manny..)

Ellie was already broken and just getting to the point of being able to forgive. She'd already lost Dina, possibly Tommy too and of course Joel. Seems a bit harsh to rub it in by not letting her play geetar.

Can you even bite off fingers? Wouldn't you break your teeth?

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's safe to discuss it here, and the main TLOU reddit (not the tlou2 one)
If you have good articles and videos, feel free to post them! Gonna check the thread to see what I've missed. People disagreeing is great, I just don't want to read all the tweets that talk about PC culture gone wrong (or stuff like that comic above).

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
The more i think about it what was the point in making Ellie lose her fingers? Just makes it awkward in the sequel for her to do certain things

Carrying the scars of her actions with her always. That's how I took it.

Also, early on in Abby's scenario, someone makes a joke about another character losing two fingers, saying, "All you need is three." Thought Ellie's loss was a little call back to that moment as well.

Oct 25, 2017
They live in a nightmare hellscape of crazies and mushroom zombies. They had a chance to escape that nightmare, and some asshole runs in and effectively dooms the planet. They don't need personal reasons to want Joel dead. ANYONE who knew what he did would want Joel dead. If the town had known what Joel did they'd probably help Abby bash his head in
I think only Tommy knows, I doubt he even told Maria about that shit. Just told her about Ellie's immunity. I think if the secret got out and Joel got killed the village probably would've burned down or looted that mans house and chucked his exposed corpse into a river.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, my point was that her connection with Joel wasn't completely severed or anything. If anything, her inability to play the guitar anymore is more her inability to play the song Future Days anymore, and whatever you think that that symbolically might mean.
If I had to guess it's symbolizing that she ruined her future

Also this shit got me because this scene mentioned will never not get me

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think only Tommy knows, I doubt he even told Maria about that shit. Just told her about Ellie's immunity. I think if the secret got out and Joel got killed the village probably would've burned down or looted that mans house and chucked his exposed corpse into a river.
Ellie mentioned only Tommy and Joel knew when she told Dina. And yeah that was what I meant. There is no personal stake required to hate Joel for what he did. Anyone with any sense would probably murder Joel on finding that out.

Deleted member 60772

Banned
Oct 21, 2019
I keep thinking about what would the Last of Us Part III look like, & it has to center around Ellie again, right? You don't give one known person in this universe immunity for nothing, right?

The Last Of Us really is Ellie's story, so I'm very interested to see how they handle her immunity, and the growth of her character, in the third (and hopefully final) part.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Neil deliberately lied when he said if TLoU Part I was about love, Part II was about hate.

Hmm... Are you sure "lied" is the right term here? If so, what do you mean exactly?

In the Spoilercast, it seemed pretty clear to me that it is his stance about his work that change as the project was evolving and being developed, as it happens quite often to people when creating something. I don't think the intention was to deceive anybody.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I think what I'm learning from the negativity (other than the stuff based on bigotry) is a ton of people didn't understand the story and/or the nuances went over their heads. Yes, some people (rare) understood it and disliked it. But mostly I'm seeing a lot of people who just don't get it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Of Us really is Ellie's story, so I'm very interested to see how they handle her immunity, and the growth of her character, in the third (and hopefully final) part.
Honestly I'd rather it follow Abby and Lev. This seems like a good place to leave Ellie. I want my adventures of buff badass and boy with bow dealing with the aftermath of a horrific revenge cycle and I already finished God of War and this so I need a new one.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ellie mentioned only Tommy and Joel knew when she told Dina. And yeah that was what I meant. There is no personal stake required to hate Joel for what he did. Anyone with any sense would probably murder Joel on finding that out.
Joel, Tommy, and Maria knew she was immune, but only Tommy knew what went down at the hospital.

Oct 25, 2017
"YOU FUCKING DOOMED US!!!!" *Crack open Joel's head* I actually like that they gave Abby a very personal reason and not just because he fucked up the surgery. The game is all about emotional stakes and costs.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's a story of deranged, emotionally reactive fools doing dangerous, irrational, destructive things fuelled by uninhibited outrage and impulse pulled from a cyclone of grief and love and regret and hate that is so acidic and toxic that it destroys both themselves and everyone around them.

The story is a pretty fucking rudimentary Empathy: For Beginnings and I'm baffled some people can't see that. The hero worship Joel gets that in the same breath condemns Abby is just so full of hypocrisy and contraction it makes my head spin. These stories aren't even complicated or particularly deep. They're incredibly on the nose with their characters, backgrounds, and narrative arcs.

Deleted member 60772

Banned
Oct 21, 2019
Honestly I'd rather it follow Abby and Lev. This seems like a good place to leave Ellie. I want my adventures of buff badass and boy with bow dealing with the aftermath of a horrific revenge cycle and I already finished God of War and this so I need a new one.

Not for me. Abby serves a similar purpose to Joel in many ways. I don't see Druckmann leaving Ellie to concentrate on her.

A third game should be about Ellie, but positioned as the older, wiser character this time. That's a very decent character arc.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"YOU FUCKING DOOMED US!!!!" *Crack open Joel's head* I actually like that they gave Abby a very personal reason and not just because he fucked up the surgery. The game is all about emotional stakes and costs.
It makes sense that it'd be Abby doing it, yeah. I do think they went overboard with Nora and her "I FALL ASLEEP EVERY NIGHT TO HIS SCREAMS!"

Also another thing but there are 5 revenge lines in this game. I mentioned before but that seemed excessive.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Hmm... Are you sure "lied" is the right term here? If so, what do you mean exactly?

In the Spoilercast, it seemed pretty clear to me that it is his stance on his work that change as the project was evolving and being developed, as it happens quite often to people when creating something. I don't think the intention was to deceive anybody.

I say "lied" as an "either or" thing. Because love and hate are themes explored in BOTH games, and hold equal weight when viewed as a complete experience, and that beneath it all - it is a story with a positive message, even if it came at a great cost.

I also use the word 'lied' because Neil has shown time and time again he will deliberately mislead when talking about his game. I for one, has never believed him when he said "Part II is about hate", because I don't believe Neil would develop a sequel that is rooted in a theme that isn't ultimately on a continuation of the core of the first game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just watched the final scene scene between Joel and Ellie and I'm crying all over again, man. Fuck, I'm gonna miss Joel so much.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think what I'm learning from the negativity (other than the stuff based on bigotry) is a ton of people didn't understand the story and/or the nuances went over their heads. Yes, some people (rare) understood it and disliked it. But mostly I'm seeing a lot of people who just don't get it.
And it's not like the story is any subtle about what it's trying to do either lol

Honestly I went into the Abby section of the game worried about where they were taking the story, and I said as much in the OT.

So now I'm playing as Abby, which was obvious was gonna happen again at some point. We see her community, her friends, and how good they were doing just a few days ago.

Honestly I'm not sure it's whether I got spoiled on some stuff before the game came out but none of the supposed hard hitting moments have hit hard so far, except for Joel's death 10 hours ago. The acting and character interactions have been solid gold, but the story... I don't know, man. So far Ellie has reached a place looking for Abby, done a bad thing either accidentally or on purpose and then felt bad about the thing. And now the introduction of Abby's community feels like a giant "do you feel extra bad about the thing yet?"

I hope there's more to it because while I'm enjoying the gameplay significantly more than the first game, the storytelling feels kinda... shallow? so far.

I'm glad I was wrong and the ending delivered in the end.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If a Part 3 happens,I hope it is all about Ellie finally find her happiness in the end.I liked Abby by the end,but The Last of Us is about Ellie,a stand alone game like Uncharted The Lost Legacy?Why not,otherwise I don't care if we never see her again,or a Part 3 too.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else chuckle at what was clearly a Guitar Center sign but can't have that brand in there

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's a story of deranged, emotionally reactive fools doing dangerous, irrational, destructive things fuelled by uninhibited outrage and impulse pulled from a cyclone of grief and love and regret and hate that is so acidic and toxic that it destroys both themselves and everyone around them.

The story is a pretty fucking rudimentary Empathy: For Beginnings and I'm baffled some people can't see that. The hero worship Joel gets that in the same breath condemns Abby is just so full of hypocrisy and contraction it makes my head spin. These stories aren't even complicated or particularly deep. They're incredibly on the nose with their characters, backgrounds, and narrative arcs.
On the nose?
I think you'll find that a lot of people lack noses.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But she does. She cracked Joel's head open right before Ellie's eyes as she was screaming and begging for his life to be spared. Joel didn't make her watch her father be shot or be beaten to death. Abby, as Mel put it, is "a piece of shit and and she always will be" and her latching on to this inexplicable need to help Lev and his sister didn't cleanse her soul. She was even going to gleefully kill Dina with the joy of knowing that she too was pregnant like Mel when she died but Lev stopped her.

She clearly is trying to be a better person, mainly for the sake of Lev, but she is still very much the monster Ellie saw her as and deserved everything that happened to her. Ellie was spared the first time because of Owen, then again because of Lev, but Ellie spared Abby because it was HER choice without any influence from anyone around her. That alone makes her a better person than Abby despite going on a vengeance killing spree.

1. Abby wanted her revenge and some stranger pleading her to stop wouldn't change that.

2. This is the only moment i really thought that Abby was a monster deep down. She was going to kill Dina just to hurt Ellie. Lev was the only reason that she stopped. Abby would've killed both with glee in a moment filled with revenge and hurt because of Owns death.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me. Abby serves a similar purpose to Joel in many ways. I don't see Druckmann leaving Ellie to concentrate on her.

A third game should be about Ellie, but positioned as the older, wiser character this time. That's a very decent character arc.
That's fair. It's just a personal thing for me, tbh. They could pull a TWD Season 3 and have us play as someone else who meets Ellie.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The conversation around this game is unreal. Never seen a game like this ever in my life... maybe Mass Effect 3? But that was definitely different.

Not sure if its somewhat related to the current pandemic or what, but yea the opinions are so varied on it, it's really interesting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2. This is the only moment i really thought that Abby was a monster deep down. She was going to kill Dina just to hurt Ellie. Lev was the only reason that she stopped. Abby would've killed both with glee in a moment filled with revenge and hurt because of Owns death.
I'm drawing so many parallels to God of War, lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.