• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Abby the minute she was saying "We let you live, and you wasted it!". Cause that's what I've been feeling, stay home Ellie, don't throw this away. Of course By the end I came to understand why it all had to happen.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I can finally click this thread yeah!

I got to say the last 2-3 hours of the game were like torture for me.I was convinced that Ellie would die.Even when she was holding the baby i was so fucking scared because i knew that couldn't be the ending.

Anyway it's amazing that i actually didn't want Ellie to kill Abby in the end.If you told me this after the first few hours i would call you insane.I t helped that Abby's gameplay segements were absolutely perfect after the first hour or so.

Did anyone here want Ellie to kill Abby in the end?Curious about the answers to this question
I very strongly did NOT want her to kill Abby, and was at the point where I thought "I've loved every minute of this game, but I'm going to hate the ending if she really kills Abby".

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it revealed that Ellie knew the entire time why Abby did what she did? Or did I misinterpret that?
She knows that Abby's crew were ex-Fireflies, so she assumes their motivation is just that Joel doomed humanity and caused the Fireflies to disband. She doesn't know that Joel killed Abby's father.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm not mad about Joel's death like some, I just think it created a void that the game struggled to fill. That's especially true if you didn't connect with Abby and crew. You end up with a long stretch of game playing as and interacting with characters you really don't give a shit about.

Killing Joel early helped lend weight to the flashbacks, but their desire to make those so impactful shows they understood that Ellie and Joel's relationship was integral to the series. Yes, killing him early made you cherish those moments and want to take them all in, but it just left a chasm as far as character relations and relationship building goes. Early on I though Dina would be stepping in to fill that void, but she gets sidelined due to the pregnancy. Jesse shows up... but then you split up twice. Tommy is only briefly around. There's just not a lot of character building around Ellie beyond the intro to the game. Instead they reserve that for Abby and her crew, but that development was clearly too little, too late to make enough people empathize with and like that group.
Disagree here.

The dynamic between Abby and the scar kids was pretty solid. Very different from Joel and Ellie too.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Abby the minute she was saying "We let you live, and you wasted it!". Cause that's what I've been feeling, stay home Ellie, don't throw this away. Of course By the end I came to understand why it all had to happen.
Now think about why Ellie in particular would have an extra -strong reaction to being told "we let you live, and you wasted it"

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Probably got posted in the other thread, but Shawn James (guy who did Through The Valley) sung the Song Ellie writes in her journal throughout the game. Really gets across Ellie's mindset.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Two days after finishing the game, and it's STILL stuck in my head with me ruminating over the plot. Can't remember any game doing this in a looong, long time. What a goddamn masterpiece this turned out to be after initially doubting the necessity of a sequel.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
She thinks it's because of the fireflies and the vaccine thing, she doesn't know that Joel killed her father.

That's one of the issue of the ending for me. She never finds out. Abby never tells her, so Ellie never finds out that they are more alike than she thinks.

I think this is why Abby is able to let go before Ellie can.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the sex scene was both very restrained and impressive technically. I did not find it awkward or weird, and it made sense that it happened when it did. Any other game would have made it last 5 minutes with gazey camera angles. This one was just some practical fucking.
Honestly I thought it was one of the more impressive scenes in the game. Not just technically, but the maturity with which the subject matter was handled. Although that may say more about the state of video games than the game.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Abby got her actual revenge and found out it didn't help her at all, Ellie finds the strength to let go before doing it, she spares the person who killed her 'father'.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the sex scene was both very restrained and impressive technically. I did not find it awkward or weird, and it made sense that it happened when it did. Any other game would have made it last 5 minutes with gazey camera angles. This one was just some practical fucking.
Right.
It's like people are missing that Owen is cheating on his pregnant girlfriend.
And Abby was trying to get along with Mel again after they stopped talking after killing Joel.

It's not supposed to be sexy.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
that ''The Last of Us: American Daughters'' easter egg in Uncharted 4 hits different now.

I wonder if they at one point wanted to call the game that? It would've been a great title

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ellie lost me after what she did to Nora.

Nora basically trolled the shit out of her with that Joel comment and I knew it was over for her.

She did hold her down in the initial confrontation too. Still though, to torture before she turned. Fucking cruel shit man. I don't even think Ellie thought she was capable of that.
If someone decides to play golf with the head of someone you love, you might wanna torture a few people as well. At least I know I would.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I especially like watching the reactions of people when they first have to play as Abby after Joel's death - it is a lesson in relatability. I found it tough and hard to swallow. I simply didnt give a shit about Abby or her crew for hours on end. The story and gameplay simply didn't allow me to relate to her or her companions at all.

For a number of people, empathizing with Abby seems to be nearly impossible as they are so singularly focused on Joel. For the people who were coming to The Last of Us Part 2 in order to receive the second part of the Joel show, this was never going to be a game that could satisfy them. And I am not convinced that the game they wanted would have actually been worth making.

I never grew to love Abby, but I understood her. I was able to feel for her. Her section of the game provided a lot of very interesting context. I said this before, and I will say it again, it seems like you really didn't get what you wanted out of this game, and I'm sorry you are so unhappy with how it turned out. That being said, despite some of the decisions in this game upsetting fans, I don't think any of them are actually indicative of poor storytelling. I think the biggest hurdle for a lot of people was their inability to see past their own desires for what a second The Last of Us game should be.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about what would the Last of Us Part III look like, & it has to center around Ellie again, right? You don't give one known person in this universe immunity for nothing, right?

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
you guys think once PS5 releases they might create a PS5 branded version of the game (like in a PS5 box/packaging) for those who don't own the game yet and want their first experience to be on the PS5. It would still be the same PS4 game since it's going to be BC from everything I know regarding the PS5. Reason I ask is this might be a way for them to release an Abby Edition collector edition of the game. I would definitely double dip so that I could have the Abby Edition alongside my Ellie Edition. Sucks that they couldn't have released collector editions for both during the actual release since they had to keep Abby's actual role in the game secret throughout.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought it was one of the more impressive scenes in the game. Not just technically, but the maturity with which the subject matter was handled. Although that may say more about the state of video games than the game.
I don't know if I'm particularly impressed with it as a sex scene itself, but one cool thing about it is how it's framed from a woman's perspective, which up until now no AAA game has done.

www.eurogamer.net

Why publishers refuse games such as Remember Me because of their female protagonists

The developer of upcoming sci-fi adventure Remember Me has revealed that a number of publishers passed on the game due …

"You can't make the player kiss another dude in the game, that's going to feel awkward."​

When Horizon Zero Dawn came out, people liked Aloy but were kind of wierded out how disinterested she was in romance. Which she was, even though a few other characters seemed ot have a crush on her, and she just kind of ignored it. I don't get the impression she was meant to be aromantic or asexual, it's just a sort of weird thing that she didn't engage with at all. Some people defended that as "Well, she's busy, she has no time for that", but aside from the fact htat comparable game protagonists like Geralt make time for all sorts of fucking around and Aloy herself makes time with random ass challenges in the world while she's supposed to be hunting a massive AI, it kind of reveals that it's just not something devs wanted the player to deal with from a female perspective.

So, here's hoping Ellie and Abby paved the world for Aloy getting some love. (or not, if she's ace, but if so, actually say she's ace then)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about what would the Last of Us Part III look like, & it has to center around Ellie again, right? You don't give one known person in this universe immunity for nothing, right?
A sequel is pretty much guaranteed to involve the Fireflies regrouping, considering what Abby and Lev discover in the story's third act and how post-game the title screen changes to be Abby and Lev's boat docked at Catalina Island. Ellie would be almost guaranteed to show up eventually, but I don't know if the whole game would focus on her.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It's fucking sad because tv shows do this all the time & those gamers can pick up on it in those shows, but when it happens in video games, thier is levels drop significantly first bizarre reason.
I'd say one reason is you have a lot of hours of gameplay in between and people take breaks. I mean the game took me 37 hours over about 6 nights to complete. I was being pretty thorough exploring areas but I only had a few moments where I died a few times, but it still took me nearly 40 hours to take all this in. That's like 3 or 4 seasons of something like Game of Thrones.

I think it's reasonable that people forget some key moments and that not absolutely every scene or important line is retained when you're spending so long making your way through. Definitely something you can pick up more and more from in repeat play throughs which is one upside to this I guess.

There's stuff I hadn't really considered until I'd read it here but that's cool to be able to understand it better in reflection and discussion.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
That's one of the issue of the ending for me. She never finds out. Abby never tells her, so Ellie never finds out that they are more alike than she thinks.

I think this is why Abby is able to let go before Ellie can.

She actually isn't because she did kill Joel. She submited herself to revenge.

Ellie realizes that she feels like Joel felt when he killed everyone to save her, that's why she forgives him and that's why she let Abby go because it's the right thing to do to save her own humanity.

Joel needed Ellie to save him, Abby needed Lev, Ellie can only save herself and because of that she let Abby go, it's the only way.

That's how I interpret it, of course.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Oct 29, 2017
Oh shit yes! Yes! I missed the connection here but yeah, that's absolutely deliberate. Yeah, I'm gonna have to keep reading about this game for days lol.
I didn't! I just saw "Scar bad guy with mustache". In my head I already thought it was a Scar so I just didn't see him clearly for who he was. I can't explain it. So weird!
Another clue is he's using the tactic he teaches Ellie of luring out the infected.
Also, when you get upstairs onto the bridge and if you keep up with Manny you get quick glimpses in the distance that it's Tommy.

TGbodLk.gif
So good, if only I can dodge this good.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Idk what the crux of a Part III would be to drive the full game, but I feel like the end would be Ellie sacrificing herself for a cure. Her choice this time. Maybe a bit too obvious though.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

I have said before that it didn't really make sense (narratively) to have Joel play a major role in the second game, I think the same would be true of Ellie in the third. Her story feels, essentially, complete. Like, she could show up, but I'm not sure I want to see Ellie as the protagonist again. I think they would be better off shifting their attention to someone else.

Though, I am pretty sure any attempt to make a third game would just have an endless swarm of bad actors disparaging it from the first announcement. If I worked at Naughty Dog I wouldn't want to deal with that shit. Maybe Part 2 should just be the final Last of Us game.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Idk what the crux of a Part III would be to drive the full game, but I feel like the end would be Ellie sacrificing herself for a cure. Her choice this time. Maybe a bit too obvious though.

Quite a long time passed between her finding out the truth and the current timeline, so you'd think she'd have done that already?

Hopefully the cure wasn't sitting in her left pinky finger. :p

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a narrative reason it has to be Ellie, but I talked about this in the last thread too and from a representation point of view I still feel owed the game you get to play through as a lesbian protagonist that they marketed to me.
Hell, half a game with Ellie again will add up to one full game at least.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Thinking about the ending and the final hours of the game, the game story felt flat to me.

I wish the game was only about Abby and Lev, maybe some Ellie/Joel cameo and a lot more focus in the spores infection and how it was originated.

I appreciate some things they did with the character change and some foreshadowing, but the basic plot feels like a generic revenge story and it was impossible to me to care about Ellie as she was only taking bad decisions. The pacing is also inconsistent (Abby Day 1 is a slog), and the overuse of flashbacks is boring, I would prefered it they kept some things to the player to figure out.

Game is also too long, they improved enough on the gameplay which is fine (IA is still awful) but there's a lot of better stealth games. Also too many scripted events: fights, enemy spawn events etc... The Santa Barbara section feel soo unnecessary I wonder who thought it was a good idea to add more content to the game.

Vastly inferior to the first game both as a journey and as a story, the incredible production values and some really smart encounter design are the redeeming qualities of the game, which is a solid 7,5/8 out of 10 for me, and follows the same trend that Uncharted 4 started: too many slow moments and a bad pacing.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah they're not completely done with her. They could have you play as someone else and Ellie could show up at some point. Idk. I am firmly in the camp that Part III should be centered around Ellie completely as sort of a 'Redemption Arc' or a story about finding herself, learning to love/live again.

Either way, I think she needs a conclusive ending.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Ya a little too on the nose, everyone would have the plot figured out before the game released. Personally I hope they don't make a Part III, I didn't want a Part II but I'm glad they managed to give me a game that surpassed my expectation, both games are incredible but please leave it alone. No need to milk the franchise, let ND move on to something new.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Abby never understood that Joel saved Ellie in that hospital because he loved Ellie. All she cared is how hurt she was. And Ellie never bothered to question Abby's motivation because she assumed it was about the cure.

I don't think it's only the cure but also the people Joel killed.
From what each of them know and said to each other you can see there really was not much to talk about .

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I kinda want a Part 3 so ND can give the broken characters another chance.
I don't think Ellie should sacrifice herself. Her willingness to reconcile with Joel is a sign that she no longer thinks her life's meaning is to die in that hospital.
Look for the light and her life can still matter in other meaningful ways.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to delay my replay until I get a PS5, because I don't want to hear my PS4's fan again lol
When I was fighting Ellie in the theatre, I was wondering what she put down and I tried to pick it up. Then I remembered as I blew up lol.

I really liked the game before, but letting it sink in has only made my opinion of it grow fonder

This is incredible, had no idea this was possible.

And this is amazing

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Another clue is he's using the tactic he teaches Ellie of luring out the infected.
Also, when you get upstairs onto the bridge and if you keep up with Manny you get quick glimpses in the distance that it's Tommy.
Oh no, I did realize it was Tommy as soon as he attacked Abby, I kind of thought it might be him when I caught a glimpse, but wasn't sure. I missed the connection between him sniping Abby and Manny and the flashback with him teaching Ellie how to kill from a distance and saying he had already gotten the hang of it.

Grooski

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'll do a NG+ run and try to come to grips with the story a little more. Maybe I've been a tad harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.