• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Completely off-topic, but I never realized your website is the one behind WENB, I spent so much time in there checking out PES news back then lol

Haha! Yeah, we folded WENB into NGB a while back, it's a bit of a shame that some of us dropped off PES as much as we did, but we'll still cover it!

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I don't know what you mean but I wasn't intending to upset anyone. Can you elaborate on why SkillUp was banned? I am new and so maybe I'm not aware of some things, but I thought his review seemed pretty genuine. Again I'm not really aware of context and everything.

In any case, the reviews overall make me want to play the game :)

I don't know all the details, so i'd rather not say anything than spread wrong information. It's all good though, you did nothing wrong.

Woah, like, non at all? What insensitives are there for playing on the harder difficulty? Unlockables ? There has to be something worth while in comparison to very easy?

I don't think there's anything, they wanna let people play it the way they want.

May 17, 2019
Not really from a critical perspective. Literary analysis and story analysis requires you to engage with either the entirety of the text or with a microscopic lens to particular ideas within the text. This is an issue that has plagued Day One and Embargo based reviews for years, but is especially apparent with this game where it seems Sony has had an even more strict than usual NDA when it comes to discussing narrative. I appreciate the fact that outlets seem interested in revisiting this topic later on, but it certainly makes reviews and current critical analysis seem incomplete for the time being regardless of which conclusions they come to. Like if someone really loves the narrative of the game, but can't speak to specifically why because it happens at points they're not allowed to discuss and that's the main focus of the entire game is that central narrative, isn't that kind of a big deal that they can't speak to that in any amount of detail? And vice versa if people agree that the narrative doesn't achieve its goals?

There's a lot of games where narrative doesn't matter as much as in this one, but here this is THE defining element Naughty Dog claims to bring to the table. Again, I understand not wanting to spoil people, but there's also a seriously frustrating limit place on people analyzing that core element. Maybe this is just a lot of continued frustration with these types of reviews over the years coming to the surface, but I wish reviewers got more of an opportunity to actually discuss that central element and apply critical lenses to it.

Eric gets it. Any worthwhile analysis requires holistic approaches, not divided lenses. However, I put this down to critics and audiences wanting only shallow critiques and essays on their beloved products. Look at how up in arms people get when anything more "topical" gets brought up. More recently, I read a fantastic piece of Kentucky Route Zero and how it fails to incorporate the state's minority population. Unsurprisingly, the comments were mostly trash

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'm going to be frank, I question the value of a lot of these reviews when they can't talk about the narrative in any serious way since it seems like the NDA required an extremely strict unwillingness to address those topics. On one hand, I get that Sony doesn't want anyone spoiled on the story (at least more than they already are after the leaks)... but on the other, this is an incredibly narrative intensive game and that's the main thing it brings to the table. Not being able to more deeply analyze and critique the narrative, which is objectively meant to be the center piece of the entire game, makes the reviews I've read so far just so incredibly limited and unable to address what the game does on a fundamental narrative level or if it achieves its stated themes, etc. There's been loads of criticism for years regarding the Day One embargo reviews, and this is prime example of that trend hurting the criticism of the game. Some outlets seem to touch upon these elements a little, but it also feels like they're not allowed to devote enough attention to actually discussing the narrative on a critical level because of the embargo...

If your claim about the narrative being the "main thing the game brings to the table" is true, and reviewers weren't happy with it, they wouldn't be giving the game a 95 to 100 scores. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Unless that rocket scientist wanted to concern troll, of course.

I was already a 10, this brought me to 11. It was like the Ghost of Tsushima State of Play got me more hyped for that game, now the reviews solidified the Last of Us and I'm more hyped for it. THIS IS AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER OF HYPE.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
wild, man - definitely didn't think they'd punch above 95. Congrats to the whole team, can't wait to play this - even if it does sound like it's gonna be a rough ride

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Good to know you picked out the one highly negative review to reaffirm your confirmation bias

Don't know why I bother posting here. I follow Skill Up as he has a similar view and taste on games as me in general... I did watch and read other reviews but his resonated with me the most.

I presented quite a balanced view on this, 1. saying that I will give the game a chance with an open mind; 2. I acknowledged that the game might not be for me and that it is a good thing that fans of the first game will be happy, particularly three of my IRL friends who are extremely excited at the moment.

Absolutely pointless trying to have a discussion here though if a one line defensive and aggressive response is all I'm going to get. anyway I'll judge for myself next week.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
There is something really interesting about how the most negative reviews are mostly from outlets that have dropped review scores, essentially self-selecting negativity out of the whole metascore average.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Not watching any more videos!! Just looking at the number. This will be the ps4 swan song like TLoU was for the ps3.

Let's do this!

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Not really from a critical perspective. Literary analysis and story analysis requires you to engage with either the entirety of the text or with a microscopic lens to particular ideas within the text. This is an issue that has plagued Day One and Embargo based reviews for years, but is especially apparent with this game where it seems Sony has had an even more strict than usual NDA when it comes to discussing narrative. I appreciate the fact that outlets seem interested in revisiting this topic later on, but it certainly makes reviews and current critical analysis seem incomplete for the time being regardless of which conclusions they come to. Like if someone really loves the narrative of the game, but can't speak to specifically why because it happens at points they're not allowed to discuss and that's the main focus of the entire game is that central narrative, isn't that kind of a big deal that they can't speak to that in any amount of detail? And vice versa if people agree that the narrative doesn't achieve its goals?

There's a lot of games where narrative doesn't matter as much as in this one, but here this is THE defining element Naughty Dog claims to bring to the table. Again, I understand not wanting to spoil people, but there's also a seriously frustrating limit place on people analyzing that core element. Maybe this is just a lot of continued frustration with these types of reviews over the years coming to the surface, but I wish reviewers got more of an opportunity to actually discuss that central element and apply critical lenses to it.
it will definitely be interesting to see what happens with this. Especially when the harshest critics of the game have mentioned its narrative as a sticking point.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, the Kotaku and Polygon reviews are articulating almost exactly what my fears about this game are. That it' cumbersome design, pacing and relentlessly didactic message are just going to feel banal and tedious.

Guess I'll find out for myself in a week.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is something really interesting about how the most negative reviews are mostly from outlets that have dropped review scores, essentially self-selecting negativity out of the whole metascore average.
At the same time there is also a handful of reviews that are extremely positive that also do not have scores attached (GameXplain and Eurogamer)

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
In the PlayStation OT, some weeks back I said I didn't think the game was going to touch 95 meta because it has too much baggage in terms of expectations and controversy. Then the previews came, and they made me change that stance, so I said it was going to get a 96 meta in this thread. Game is currently at 96 meta but I'm sure with plenty more reviews to come it will probably drop one or two points.

All in all, seems like a stellar title and will likely be contender for GoTG. I loved the first game so much so I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

It seems the biggest games today get around 100-110 reviews. TLOU is in the 80's in reviews counted, so I can't see more than a point fluctuation in either direction. I don't know. Maybe there is one of "those" reviews that give it like a 2/10 but even then I think it's not going to change much if at all.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up these these reviews. Whoa looks like another masterpiece from ND, don't know how they keep pulling it off. I wonder if a Last of Us will be my GoTG two generations in a row.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, there's something to be said about being able to talk frankly about an anticipated game without weird dipshits being mad that you made The Big Number go down.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honesty curious about those 24 people that voted less than 75. Like, what? Is it just trolling?

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
x2xFyKP.png
BuT wHy CaN't PeOpEl SeE dE tRuZ, iT's JuSt A mOoViE!!

Oct 2, 2018
YIKES. I've got to stop going to youtube now. The videos are showing up on there and I didnt get spoiled or nothing but fuck me.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
the final two sentences in the waypoint review is exactly the thing i was worried about with this game:

There is practically nothing here we haven't seen and done repeatedly throughout previous Naughty Dog games. It sets out to surpass its predecessor, but the only meaningful contrast between them is in its even more oppressive bleakness and violence. It digs two graves, fills them with blood, and then just fucking wallows in them.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I'm honesty curious about those 24 people that voted less than 75. Like, what? Is it just trolling?

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that choice.

Guaranteed just hating/trolling.

The kind of people who feel like ND games should sit at 75 or less are also convinced that 99% of reviewers are paid off and therefore wouldn't make that prediction since, well, "paid off reviewers" would overrate it anyway.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

imagine the harassment they would receive if there was a number. I imagine that has a lot to do with it. they've now freed themselves from the conscious and subconscious ways that the expectation of harassment introduces bias into criticism.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Im in a bind. I have a BASE ps4 and a 4k tv with HDR. (low end)

should i wait and get it on ps5 or just say fuck it and deal with the slight blurryness now?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's super annoying. Seems buggy all around and maybe we just need to wait a little longer? No idea.
Hoping it's just buggy due to the pre load going live and so many people downloading. Really want to pre load this thing
I just initiated the pre load from the online store, i just clicked on 'Download to your PS4' and it worked. You should also check your download list and see if you can initiate from there.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Really interesting to see reviews from some that saw all the spoilers, didn't like them at all, went in sceptical, then came out uttering the word "masterpiece".

It takes something extremely special to win over someone who comes into the game wanting to actively not like it... can't wait for next Friday!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Guaranteed just hating/trolling.

The kind of people who feel like ND games should sit at 75 or less are also convinced that 99% of reviewers are paid off and therefore wouldn't make that prediction since, well, "paid off reviewers" would overrate it anyway.

I have a theory, wild guess based is virtually not evidence might be the best name for it but let's move on, that if you create a poll with a ranking there will be people voting for the worst choice that have no idea what the poll is about.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
One more thing. I dont know if reviews touched that but everything from the E3 2018 demo is doable in game. Almost everything. That demo was staged, yeah, we know that. Actual scenes play a little bit differently in the game, but dodging attacks and even arrows or bullets is doable (incredible hard to time but satisfying as hell). Big grunts can really throw you over the counter and you can always take weapons from enemie's hands in final moves. Hovewer, you will have to beat them up a little before being able to do so. Well good luck with that if there are more enemies around. They will fuck you up. This aint assassins creed where 10 enemies just watch you killing everyone one by one.

So, the only thing I wasnt able to replicate was that smooth transitions in animations, where ellie hits the car and bounces off of it to dodge another attack. I dont think its possible to do and i think it was faked. But that was probably the only thing from every gameplay videos and stuff that might be fake. I may be wrong but I put 50 hours in that game and nothing like that ever came up. But dont worry, dodging in fist fights is glorious and Much/Shunhi will have a lot of work with these gifs.

Oh nice, thank you for the info. Does the camera follow Ellie when she's thrown over the counter by a heavy?