• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man these reviews are making me question my pre-order. Yes the metacritic is high but it's the "in progress and unscored" reviews at the bottom of the page that are most illuminating (Ars Technica, Polygon, Kotaku, Time, Vice). Apparently the game wallows in its "violence is bad" lesson for way too long, longer than it takes to actually get the message across to the player that the reviewers found the game exhausting and not fun to play. A few of them even said they were relieved when the game ended.

I dunno man. I'm all for cinematic storytelling and great writing but misery and exhaustion are the last emotions I want to be feeling right now with the world the way it is. 😕
If that's your takeaway you're looking past almost everything positive to let this concern you. Cancel the preorder; you don't need to play this.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Very glad to see it.

Also - is the preload supposed to be up? I went to the PSN Store and took a look and saw no download links. However, I was thumbing around through my PS4 and via Library -> Purchased and clicking on TLOU2, I was able to start downloading the preload. Weird!

Yeah the game is preloaded on my PS4, found it on the dashboard today.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I slept three hours. Now I can catch up on the pages that I missed while asleep. Anything change? Still an awesome game? :p

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Haters in a nutshell:

nzAd452.png

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
They gave 1 the same score, why is there 5x the dislikes tho.

There's a group of assclowns, that have been down voting and spreading misinformation about the game for the past month or so. That's why all PlayStation channels disabled the like/dislike button.

With every 10/10 review and every million sold they lose more of what little voice they had. So as of now they are left with down voting anything positive about the game, that's their last grasp to try and alter the trajectory of the game of the generation. After the game is released next week, you'll hear virtually nothing from them again . Complete failure

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I though you were talking about the "10 years ago" period.
No, that was his message. I was talking about a much longer period, on the second short paragraph in particular. Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver, Monkey's Island... Those games and others, as you know, broke a barrier that's still being pushed today. We (or the oldest among us) remember those, as new generations will surely come to cherish those who followed in their steps.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is always going to be a dissonance in narrative games, when you can shape a character's actions but not their thoughts and limited freedom in shaping how they act or the story they follow. What Mandy says is perfectly valid.

But... you play Ellie's story, you're not creating an avatar following a template storyline with choices based on your morality.

I think it's interesting the game is so intense it gets to people and question whether they want to keep playing through that story or not. It's bold and risky, tbh.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
There's a group of assclowns, that have been down voting and spreading misinformation about the game for the past month or so. That's why all PlayStation channels disabled the like/dislike button.

With every 10/10 review and every million sold they lose more of what little voice they had. So as of now they are left with down voting anything positive about the game, that's their last grasp to try and alter the trajectory of the game of the generation. After the game is released next week, you'll hear virtually nothing from them again . Complete failure

Yup. Pretty darn sad.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No you're not the only one. And yes, many dog lovers have very strange priorities in that regard.
It also has real life consequences, with people still defending violent dogs when those attack humans ("he's normally such a good boy; the person must have done something to trigger him!") or even rip the hand off a poor 4 years old child like it was reported last year.
I'd defend a dog doing those acts over a human doing the same any day. Animals are precious, innocent creatures that act on instinct. I don't value them over human life, but I absolutely hold them to a completely different standard.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man these reviews are making me question my pre-order. Yes the metacritic is high but it's the "in progress and unscored" reviews at the bottom of the page that are most illuminating (Ars Technica, Polygon, Kotaku, Time, Vice). Apparently the game wallows in its "violence is bad" lesson for way too long, longer than it takes to actually get the message across to the player that the reviewers found the game exhausting and not fun to play. A few of them even said they were relieved when the game ended.

I dunno man. I'm all for cinematic storytelling and great writing but misery and exhaustion are the last emotions I want to be feeling right now with the world the way it is. 😕
This has been discussed a lot. The gist is this:
  • the game has upbeat and positive aspects, too. Naughty Dog are masters of pacing and wouldn't make something 100%, wall-to-wall traumatic
  • but clearly it's a HIGHLY emotive and impactful game which will weigh heavily and features a lot of violence
  • most reviews say the effect and violence is well written, earned and justified; a minority say it isn't (that's not to say their perspective isn't valid)
  • but if you're in a place where you do not need mental strain or emotional challenge, do not play the game right now
The last point goes without saying and is the only thing which should really matter to your decision here. On everything else, we/you can't know without playing the game.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No, that was his message. I was talking about a much longer period, on the second short paragraph in particular. Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Reaver, Monkey's Island... Those games and others, as you know, broke a barrier that's still being pushed today. We (or the oldest among us) remember those, as new generations will surely come to cherish those who followed in their steps.

Right, I see what you mean now and I broadly agree.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Reading the more 'negative' reviews it seems for most the story didn't click because of it's nihilism and violence. They also seem to have problems identifying themselves with the characters because of their actions. And that's fine imo. I don't think this is a game anyone will enjoy. I feel TLOU2 sometimes challenges the notion a game should be fun. Because often it isn't. It makes you feel a lot of things, but joy and fun is not there. There isn't even really a sense of victory after a difficult confrontation. I mostly felt relief it was over.

(though there are moments of levity, or just very touching moments, and in contrast to the violence I feel they even work better for it)

This not a laid back 'wind down from work' type experience. Just like not every movie is an uplifting blockbuster, and sometimes you leave the theater shaken, and I'm glad ND isn't afraid to do this.
TLOU was never about identification, I think people are heavily confused about this. It was always a playable story, and a fateful one at that. This is not an RPG.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people were saying that the leaks would really impact and hurt the reviews? Ya me neither.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Still a 96 after 80 reviews, amazing.

And 25-30 hours sounds great to me. This is going to be something special and I can't freaking wait.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I hope the PS5 will play this on launch (If this will be BC capable) as that would get me to actually buy a PS5 then. Congrats on the scores and happy gaming to all those that will play it shortly!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of those people who thought the leaks and "outrage" would affect reviews but I'm glad to see it hasn't. These are some amazing scores, higher than I predicted. Good stuff!

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very glad to see it.

Also - is the preload supposed to be up? I went to the PSN Store and took a look and saw no download links. However, I was thumbing around through my PS4 and via Library -> Purchased and clicking on TLOU2, I was able to start downloading the preload. Weird!
I see the 'download' option in my library, but when I click on it, nothing happens for me yet

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Reviews are exactly as expected.

I highly doubt this will top Uncharted 4 for me (Naughty Dog's true GOAT), but I'm still pretty excited despite me not loving the original one as much as most people did.

Feb 24, 2018
I'm sorry, but, I think it *does* negate a lot of the criticism around the making of the game, considering, ND has proven it works. These reviews aren't a one-off for them. 5 of their last 7 games are all above 90 MC. If you want your game to get these scores (and inevitable GOTY rewards) their process is obviously a proven method at this point.

I don't deny that some devs can't handle it, but, this is what's needed to repeatedly achieve the results they get.
Yikes... You are literately justifying poor working conditions and crunch because it got good reviews... I am just baffled someone can be so callous to say that seriously and then to be dismissive towards the devs themselves...

No game, film, TV show etc, no matter how good is worth poor working conditions and terrible crunch, that is failing of the management and shouldn't be treated as good or something to "repeatedly achieve". This could have been made without it and been just as good.

I am genuinely disgusted by the post.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Watched some video reviews...

Very good:

1. GameXplain: Simply the best I saw so far, beautifully written and described what they loved about the game in wonderful detail. Going over each aspect of the game with perfect eloquence.

2. Gamespot: Again, well written and highlights the strengths and weaknesses effectively, while bringing up aspects that other reviews did not mention

Not so good
3. Easy Allies: Poorly written and comes off as a fanboy who is more interested in the minutia of blowing off people's limbs with great excitement rather than understanding what the game is trying to communicate to the player

Bad
4. IGN: Slobbering, reading off and regurgitating the same bullet points that the marketing and PR team have been hammering home throughout the press cycle... just unprofessional and makes me even question the validity of the review.

Remember y'all, it's the content of the review that matters not the score. If anyone has other ones they recommend I'd be happy to watch them.

Purely for selfish reasons: ;)

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Rob Zachny went in. I played the first, found the gunplay to be atrocious, but enjoyed the characters, and was moved by the overall story. I wasn't planning on getting this because I just don't want something so bleak in my life right now and this looked to be the bleakest thing ever. I expected to miss what happens with the story and characters, however. At least according to Rob, it sounds like I won't be missing much.

I love Waypoint, I really do, Rob in particular, but similar to RDR2 they planted their flag against this game a long time ago if you listen regularly.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
the first 3 hours have leaked online, now that you've seen the reviews if you want to avoid spoilers, turn your filters back on and dip till next week.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Quick PS4 and Pro comparison I found.

Thanks. Gotta check that out on the 4k tv but it looks very good. Foliage density and texture quality were my main concerns as well as performance but it seems the base ps4 is good enough in every way, pretty much untouched. I guess resolution and better performance maybe is the only thing that varies in the end

Btw, any review with new footage? Any combat/animation breakdown?

Jun 23, 2019
Cops aren't society.

Did you actually read the review? It talks about how the community stuff at the start actually factors into these themes.

And again, no, that's not what recent events have shown. More people than ever want to abolish, defund, etc. the police. More people than ever are speaking out about these injustices. That's a sign that we can end systemic hate and division, not that we're doomed to have it naturally occur in any society we build.

Oh my bad. I totally didn't watch a video of 3 stalk and publicly lynch a guy with a shotgun on camera. Silly mistake.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool that both Blessing and Steimer on Kinda Funny said they didn't want a TLOU sequel and felt it simply wasn't needed, but after having played it they now feel it not only completely earns its existence, but is one of the best sequels they've ever experienced.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
But... you play Ellie's story, you're not creating an avatar following a template storyline with choices based on your morality.

I think it's interesting the game is so intense it gets to people and question whether they want to keep playing through that story or not. It's bold and risky, tbh.

No matter what the intent was, people can feel how they feel when they play the game. It's not a particular fault with the game or the player, just that there is always going to be some dissonance between gameplay and narrative.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool that both Blessing and Steimer on Kinda Funny said they didn't want a TLOU sequel and felt it simply wasn't needed, but after having played it they now feel it not only completely earns its existence, but is one of the best sequels they've ever experienced.
That is music to my ears because I definitely fell in that category. The first is obviously <---- one of my favorite games ever and really felt like a self contained story. The ending was just so *chefs kiss* that I didn't think anything else needed to be said.

But nonetheless, I'm excited to hear people who had those reservations changed their mind.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

I was relieved when Doom Eternal ended. But it's my GOTY and in my top 5 of the generation. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Some games can be exhausting, in a good way. But you're relieved when you finally reach the destination. Like climbing a mountain. In this case though, it seems like emotional exhaustion.

Sep 21, 2019
I dodged to/at/near objects, car, walls and nothing happened. What would be the point of this seamless, beautiful animations, if you cant trigger it in 50 hours of playtime?

I am not sure what do you mean.

Like when she dodges and falls sideways into a car for support. Does the environment work into the dosing like that?

Is what you didnt see the smooth animation after the dodge when she attacks the woman after falling into the car or just her not falling into the car at all?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Only 27 more perfect reviews on MC and it will have the most perfect scores ever.

I think Breath of the Wild is safe

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I liked SkillUp and Gamespot's reviews. A lot of the other ones seem like they went into it desperately wanting to love the game, or desperately wanting to criticize it. Some of those top ones are just fawning a little too much that I wonder if they're even being honest, but some of the bottom ones can be equally nitpicky too. Wondering if I'll like this since I'm not sure how dark I want my games to be of late haha!

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
what do you guys think about this from the polgyon review?

Ellie embraces the role of antihero, just as Joel did, and Naughty Dog makes its queer woman protagonist act just as violent and self-involved as the legions of grizzled straight-white-dude video game protagonists who have preceded her. There's something that feels off about that straightforward swap here; it's a missed opportunity to explore how the rage of a marginalized character might take on a different form, and what that form may look and sound like. I felt so much hope at the idea of embodying Ellie instead of Joel in this game, but the entire arc she follows was an arc that I easily could have imagined Joel taking instead of her.

i could see this going both ways on whether or not this reviewer is right or wrong in having expected/wanted Ellie's quest to manifest differently