• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
It's great to be optimistic. I'm just arguing that the world we live in today is not the world of The Last of Us. And if anything, an apocalypse tends to favor the ruthless and cutthroat people than the ones that just want to help anyone they can. To say that their depiction of how humans would wind up being in the face of a zombie apocalypse isn't at all realistic seems incredibly naive or incredibly optimistic.

Horrific, incurable disease has been occurring to humanity fairly consistently pre-1950. In Africa, millions still die from malaria and TB.

The human race did not breakdown in these time periods.

Oct 25, 2017
This is so on the nose it's crazy the game actually does it.

EaS9BtWU8AErWfF
Guess I shouldn't judge it without playing it but the whole idea of "remember when that dog was alive and its brains weren't bashed in, wasn't that great" sound painfully emotionally manipulative and bad.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Yes shoot some in mp is totally fine.

Chill dude its a game

Hey, I don't want to get into arguments right now because I really don't care, but I don't like it when games make me feel bad. If you do, then great! Hope you enjoy this one. I know I won't, so there's no need for you to ask me to chill. I know it's just a game. I also know it's not a game for me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't think people should keep posting that dog thing from Polygon.

I haven't read any leaks, but it seems like there is a big spoiler implied in there if I am reading it correctly.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Eza only gave it 9.5? Surprising because the video barely have complain at all, I thought for sure they will give it a 10.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I firmly believe the level of depth/roleplay you worry about is in Cyberpunk, it just only becomes evident over multiple hours of gameplay, which none of us have seen/experienced yet.
yup i agree with your post. verdict is still out so i don't want to come to any conclusions but cp2077 is one of those games where ridiculous levels of hype and expectations have been created over the years that it could easily crumble underneath it all. hoping cdpr deliver.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Would you say you're the type of player that explores every nook and cranny, or just kind of goes with the flow?
I definitely did my share of exploration, but there were points I got caught up in the game and pushed ahead pretty quickly. Fully exploring everything will easily push a few more hours onto it

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, that Polygon review completely turned me off from the game. I'm sure it's good, it's just not for me. I don't want a game that forces me to kill people, then makes me feel like shit for "choosing" to kill those people. I don't need a morality lesson, I already know killing people is wrong.

Hope you guys enjoy it, though. I'm just gonna skip this one.
Maybe play the game rather than let one particular outlet tell you how to feel?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

EaS9BtWU8AErWfF

This reminds me of how I shot that doctor in the foot in the first game and everyone in the room acted like I slaughtered him in cold blood. It always felt a bit weird that the game encouraged you to make choices but ultimately they'd just run counter to the characters, creating a sort of dissonance.

But yeah I get that this game is probably an artistic masterpiece but it just ain't for me. If folks are getting mad at reviewers having similar reactions then they're kinda missing the point of what reviews are.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Not trolling, I clarified what I said but their stories are so much better than the gameplay that it's a chore to get through (for me), I rush through it to get to the next storybeat.

Let me put it this way, ND's overall storytelling chops is A+, nobody else even comes close, the actual gameplay is closer to a B for me, it's fun and polished but very repetitive (especially Uncharted).
This is a much better description of your thoughts and I respect your opinions, although I certainly disagree with you on the gameplay part (although personally, I just don't care for uncharted). I advise you edit your previous post to avoid people thinking you're trolling, because you do share some good thoughts here.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, when the most negative one confirms a lot of the fears I recently had with the game (and describes a scene where the game forces you to beat a dog with a pipe while you hear him scream in agony, jesus). It's just not something I want to put myself through right now, and it has confirmed my hunch that I'd better wait and play it sometime down the line.

Definitely. Mental health is taking an absolute battering worldwide right now, so putting off a game like this to a future date is totally reasonable. I've had Junji Ito's new work No Longer Human sitting on my shelf for 5 months, but 3 pages alone was so depressing/traumatic I had to put it down until I was in a better headspace (probably next year).

The rest of the reviews are no less valid, but I can't help but feel either those reviewers don't have the same sensibilities I do
It could be that, but I think it's more likely they simply feel the violence is earned. Naughty Dog will not have tried to push this envelope without making sure it's meaningfully resonant and appropriate. That's not their (or at least Druckmann's) style.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I actually didn't think it would review this well tbh. After all the expectations it has to match, I felt like it was unreasonable to expect generation-toping scores. I think that alone says a lot. It's also equal for NDs top reviewed game currently (will likely go up or down 1 point though).

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If a trained attack dog runs towards me with a sole intent to rip my throat off, I'm going to look for a pipe.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of how I shot that doctor in the foot in the first game and everyone in the room acted like I slaughtered him in cold blood. It always felt a bit weird that the game encouraged you to make choices but ultimately they'd just run counter to the characters, creating a sort of dissonance.
That criticism and scene was really interesting and I am 100% certain it's something ND will have considered very carefully in the sequel. The potential for "ludonarrative resonance vs dissonance" and how you can navigate/avoid that. This game seems almost two generations ahead of the original in terms of simulation and ambition, so it'll be interesting to see how they play it out. Totally fair that it's not for everyone, though.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Woohoo i hit the 95 on the mark.

My bodyyyyy is absolutely ready

not sure about my mind being ready lol but i can't fucking wait.

At this point I don't give a shit at the scores. The quotes out there have me hyped. This game is going to have LTTP threads for years just like the previous Masterpiece. My Goodness.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really been interested in this game (despite loving the first) but those are some impressive scores. If it's Metacritic 96% after 76 reviews it's not likely to move more than a percent or two in each direction now, right?

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Still can't believe this. Boldest, bravest, achieving one of the highest ratings ever. Now I'm gonna listen to "Don't Stop Me Now".

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yup i agree with your post. verdict is still out so i don't want to come to any conclusions but cp2077 is one of those games where ridiculous levels of hype and expectations have been created over the years that it could easily crumble underneath it all. hoping cdpr deliver.
Indeed, especially if the technical ambition causes issues on platforms like XBO.

Well, we'll find out in a few months, right!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
These reviews almost make me feel like it's a mistake not launching Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 lol. Like no way it'll compare to this.
At least both will get ps5 upgrades and bolster the launch line up. Ps4 didn't have the livery of God of war ascension, TLOU, beyond 2 souls, Ratchet into the nexus and GT6 getting ported.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

EaS9BtWU8AErWfF

People have a habit of morally glorifying heroes and protagonists who otherwise do abhorrent shit, or at least wanting to, eg Arthur Morgan and Drake are still good guys despite murdering countless people (including dozens of police officers in RDR2), and Daenerys was noble because she freed slaves, even though she was also a mass murdering Western coloniser.

Point is, given TLOU2 presents murder in an often times avoidable way (I believe you can go through the entire game without killing a single dog yourself), it makes sense that in cutscenes that choice may be taken away, because narratively the game is still trying to portray the ramifications and horror of Ellie's actions, violence and lust for revenge, and the limits to which they'll take her. In other words, she's not really a good guy, and these sorts of scenes are presumably designed to hammer that home or remind the player of that moral vacuum.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Every review I've read said that the enemy AI is incredible. Where does that criticism come from?
Probably the banned source.

The AI is in the same spot as other things - it's really customisable. "Very Light" is dumb as a box of rocks, but Moderate and above is a reasonable challenge

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us 98 reviews,with 42 perfect scores
The Last of Us Part 2 76 reviews so far,with 43 perfect scores so far,and gameover.gr yet to be included

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
And breathe! So relieved to see it score highly across the board. Going to be hard to finish Xenoblade with this waiting there to be played.