• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Quick and dirty work
n47bRif.jpg
Thank you!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Love your post but the leaps in framing humans as being selfish monsters is because we are already in every sense selfish monsters. Hurricane Katrina and others disasters have demonstrated that when left on our own with no help we will protect those closest to us and then if things get bad enough have the capacity to look after only ourselves as well. Neil isn't building his narrative around some wildly unproven theory. I'm sure you have read Night by Elie Wiesel but it's heartbreaking not just because the Holocaust was one of the most tragic events in history but when driven to such extremes he saw daughter against mother. Father against son and people abandoning all sense of morality for survival.
Look at current events people rather get a haircut then worry about spreading a deadly disease and this is happening worldwide people are more selfish then they think. Or black people willing to brave the world to protest police brutality even though we have a higher risk of dying not only by the virus but the cops as well. Are we really better then this?

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
So... you are going to ignore the rest of the perspectives for THE most negative one?

Yes, when the most negative one confirms a lot of the fears I recently had with the game (and describes a scene where the game forces you to beat a dog with a pipe while you hear him scream in agony, jesus). It's just not something I want to put myself through right now, and it has confirmed my hunch that I'd better wait and play it sometime down the line.

The rest of the reviews are no less valid, but I can't help but feel either those reviewers don't have the same sensibilities I do, or were afraid to speak honestly about that aspect of the game for fear of the reaction of stepping out of line of the general opinion (the exact kind of reaction Myer's review is being subjected to).

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
This quote from gamesradar sure is something.

The Last of Us Part 2 has consumed me. It's the last thing I've been thinking about as I've gone to bed, and the first thing that enters my head when I wake up. I've relieved entire sequences in my mind, marvelling at their exquisite design, and wondering what I could have done differently. Its many, many unforgettable cutscenes are burned into my brain as though they were real memories, so evocative in their fierce, emotional resonance that they now hold a regular presence in most of my dreams, not to mention my nightmares.

I've spent hours just trying to process everything I've played, coming to terms with its densely packed story, and discovering new avenues of appreciation for its craft. What I'm trying to say is that The Last of Us Part 2 is exceptional, and quite possibly the best game I've played this generation.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I always find reviews that seem to factor world events and the political climate into the score a bit problematic. It's very possible Animal Crossing: New Horizon's score was a bit inflated due to the time it came out, and it seems that the Polygon review is suggesting TLOU2 isn't ideal for these challenging times...and while that may be the case, I don't think the game should be penalised for it.
Completely disagree. Media is a product of its time and real world issues and context are a part of it, whether people like it or not.

ZoomyRamen

May 15, 2020
We also have a million+ Muslims in concentration camps in China that most people don't seem to care about at all. There's literal genocides currently ongoing on Earth.

I mean sure, but for the great evil in the world there's also examples of great good too.

I'm all for nihilism, which is why I think I'll enjoy this one more than recent ND outings, but I'm just going into what the polygon reviewer might have meant.

May 26, 2018
What....that's literally what you said.

I'm saying we can, but also in a time of crisis we haven't all turned to monsters infact a lot of people have come together to help one another out...which is the point, I think, of the reviewer saying we are better than the game gives us credit for.

I'm just saying our current crisis vastly differs from Last of Us.

Our real world stands in mild (as of now) danger as it deals with vast stupidity and a history of cruelty, as some of us try to do better.

Last of Us has the human race as a delirious dying man pondering the point of existence with his last breath.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I will hammer it tho.
This is the bleakest and the most uncomfortable game probably to ever release with such budget. First one feels like happy go lucky Uncharted in comparison.

You've seen this movie?
It's this in video game form.

MV5BM2ZhZDlmZDMtMDk5OC00YjhiLTgxOTAtYWEwMzhiMjJhMmEwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg
Well damn. I'm almost scared to play this now lol Might just need to put it on easy for the first play through

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at current events people rather get a haircut then worry about spreading a deadly disease and this is happening worldwide people are more selfish then they think. Or black people willing to brave the world to protest police brutality even though we have a higher risk of dying not only by the virus but the cops as well. Are we really better then this?
So do all the people not being stupid or the people out their protesting trying to make things better not matter?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Exactly. If anything current and past events are definitely favoring Neils interpretation of us

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
To follow up such a critically acclaimed game and nail the landing is an extremely rare feat. Congrats to all who worked insane hours on this thing.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
surely humans can be both? communal and completely vicious murderous fuckheads. witness any nation in history that's committed self-slaughter. completely united, hand in hand, to try and wipe out the human race because of some trick of light and sound.

we're scary fucks sometimes, and sometimes our best traits turn against us.

Absolutely, we can be both. The issue is framing and whether or not such behaviour is exaggerated or believably contextual.

Love your post but the leaps in framing humans as being selfish monsters is because we are already in every sense selfish monsters. Hurricane Katrina and others disasters have demonstrated that when left on our own with no help we will protect those closest to us and then if things get bad enough have the capacity to look after only ourselves as well. Neil isn't building his narrative around some wildly unproven theory. I'm sure you have read Night by Elie Wiesel but it's heartbreaking not just because the Holocaust was one of the most tragic events in history but when driven to such extremes he saw daughter against mother. Father against son and people abandoning all sense of morality for survival.

Sure, but all of these examples are also littered with resistance and community formation. Which The Last of Us also presents, which is good. It's a question of exaggeration. It's been long theorised, studied, and documented that human altruism and formation of supportive communities actually increases after disasters (both man made and natural). Fiction gives a lot of wiggle room (unlimited, really), but the scope is the question and whether or not it's exagerrated. Or more importantly, and maybe the root of the criticism; if the brutality of human activity is so exaggerated and vast that it borderlines on the surreal, and an attempt is made to use that as a source of commentary on believable human development and growth, it is possible that said brevity is lost on some audiences because of the aforementioned disbelief.

Not to sound bleak but there is enough evidence of humans being muderous, animalistic monsters in the world right now. I personally believe the only thing exaggerated is the sheer amount of people that turn out that way in the game.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest humans are also precisely the opposite in many contexts. Not always

There is no evidence? That's a charitable view of many events in our history.

No evidence was bad framing from me, sorry. But studies suggest that humans increase in altruistic behaviour and community formation during disasters.

Um, I really don't think that's what the majority of people who complain about the violence are focused on. I don't think it even enters their mind. I think they're literally just referring to the quality and extent of violent acts in the game.

This is true, but also probably the perceived gaudiness of it. Violence is a tricky one because people respond differently, but also the brevity of violent acts can be lost if they're not handled well. Which isn't a case of "too much gore", so much as shlocky writing beating the audience over the head with a point that doesn't land. It's like you could have a scene where, I dunno, a baby is set on fire alive or something and fuck that's traumatic. And then you run into its mother later and she's traumatised. And then you're forced to also set a baby on fire and the protagonist is traumatised. And then you're just like "this is fucking dumb and violent for the sake of being violent and it's so over the top and dumb the impact of said violence has done a U-turn and lost me".

This is a broader criticism of fiction though in general, particularly video games. For some people it lands, for others it doesn't. Spec Ops is a great example of a game having a really significant "be sad" moment that everyone praises that was largely lost on me because I could see it coming from a mile away, the transparent cogs of the writers and designers in clear view. It's nothing to be proud of, sometimes it just comes of as a bit shlocky.

Jan 10, 2018
Thing is, near enough all the best stories and characters ever realised in AAA gaming follow this type of design, be that RDR2, TLOU, GTA V, UC4, Bioshock, God of War etc, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

Till we have examples of AAA games that are as competent in their story and characters without the use of cutscenes, it's sort of a strange and baseless complaint, one that assumes a different method of narrative and character delivery or development could be much better, when there's no real evidence of that in the medium.

I think the complaint comes from a collected view of all manner of video games and not just the AAA line-up. And the question is a reasonable one if that's how the player feels when interacting with the game. There simply seems to be a disconnect between the violence that is used and/or avoided in-between different controlled scenarios. I don't think you necessarily have to point to past AAA games to make such a remark, but If you are forced to I'm sure there are plenty of games that make examples of these design concepts already. Maybe not as a whole necessarily but in bits and pieces. You mentioned RDR2 for example and while the mission design in that game is rather poorly presented as a player controlled experience there is a lot of thought put into the main character and how the player chooses to steer his personality in various directions. We do not control the initial nature of Arthur but we manage his actions along the way and ultimately decide much of his fate. I think what makes The Last of Us feel extraordinary is its acting and dialogue quality and not necessarily the events that take place. I believe you can set up a good story with lots of great character development without stressing the need for total developer control. I think Naughty Dog at least owe it to themselves to explore these concepts a bit more in the future as they seem to have both the financial resources and creative capacity to push things forward. The path they have set up for themselves have led to great success so far so of course they don't have to do this, but I for one would be happy to see something a bit more riveting and innovative in the future. Something tells me Naughty Dog has a lot more to give if they decide to put their minds to it.

marathonfool

Nov 27, 2017
As someone who loved the first game, but played with the gore toggle off. Based on the conversation in this thread, it seems like this isn't the game for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I will hammer it tho.
This is the bleakest and the most uncomfortable game probably to ever release with such budget. First one feels like happy go lucky Uncharted in comparison.

You've seen this movie?

MV5BM2ZhZDlmZDMtMDk5OC00YjhiLTgxOTAtYWEwMzhiMjJhMmEwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg
That pretty much sells it to me, even more than it was already sold. I love both versions of that movie, and I also love the works of Iain (M.) Banks, which are usually extremely dark and disturbing. Not trying to play the edgy dude or anything, I just really enjoy fiction that deals with heavy themes.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
We are already tribalistic and violent against "The other" without having to compete for resources. A world like TLOU takes this to new levels:

5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY_AFP_1QX44Z.jpg

"Why isn't he seeing the bigger picture and making everything better ):"

I really want to live in this world polygon reviewer lives on.

"Things used to be simpler, monsters were bad, humans good. Now everything's is all confused"

"Used to be exactly the same, you've just forgotten"

Oct 27, 2017
That ignores the peaceful protests and the way that much of the world has come together in support of BLM, and the way that many in the world are communally concerned about COVID and following social guidelines to protect each other. Society isn't collapsing into an apocalyptic firestorm because of COVID or because of racial unrest.
Yes, the peaceful protests are great, it is equally amazing to see how other countries gave and continue to give their support during a pandemic, but humans are more than capable of the things being portrayed in this game. I also choose to see the brighter side of the situation we've all found ourselves in but that doesn't erase the fact that humans are capable of great compassion and also great cruelty.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The last showing was a bit weaker than I expected, but the game has a lot of hype and that surely helps the score.
It's easily the single most ambitious game of this generation so yeah.
Seems less likely because it's so ambitious, but the fact CDPR seemingly have over a year of just polishing the game, I think they'll pull it together really nicely. Dread to think what working conditions are like there right now, though.
Every preview I've seen of Cyberpunk hasn't impressed me at all. Maybe it will be CDPRs Daikatana
game is day one for sure but idk, i feel like before the 2018 re-reveal, the hype for the game was truly on another level. more than it is now. a fully-fledged open world cyberpunk RPG is not something you see in the AAA space.

the more we see of the game though, the more it seems like an action-adventure set in the same universe as the board game more than the RPG it is based on. they haven't released anything new that has made me think they're gonna push the envelope in areas that aren't production values. they talk the talk a lot in these interviews but i'm waiting to see if they can walk the walk.

people really gotta lower their expectations for this game, i've seen some wild shit ppl think up and i'm like "these people are going to be so disappointed when the game comes out."

Oct 26, 2017
I will hammer it tho.

You've seen this movie?

Guessing this is an extreme exaggeration. Funny Games is an anti-consumer troll that jerks off in the audience's face for two hours. Doubt Naughty Dog made a 30 hour long troll.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Somewhat worried reading some reviews after having pre-purchased the game... don't like how some violence have been portrayed at all. There is a specific scene talked about that I highly disliked even just from reading it.

ZoomyRamen

May 15, 2020
I'm just saying our current crisis vastly differs from Last of Us.

Our real world stands in mild (as of now) danger as it deals with vast stupidity and a history of cruelty, as some of us try to do better.

Last of Us has the human race as a delirious dying man pondering the point of existence with his last breath.

Sure but it still applies. Even at times of intense hardship during war, aftermath of attacks etc you still see acts of good.

I'm not overly bothered by revelling in nihilism, I think the world is fucked beyond repair, I'm just exploring what the polygon reviewer might have meant.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, dropped to 95.

Is 96 still possible?
If Metacritic add those bellow for sure,close to 97 if I guess,too many perfect score no add yet

Another one
www.merlininkazani.com

The Last of Us Part 2 İnceleme

The Last of Us Part 2 İnceleme: The Last of Us hikaye ve daha da önemlisi hikaye anlatımıyla beni o kadar hazırlıksız yakalamıştı ki, oyunu hala düşün...
95/100

Edit:
www.3djuegos.com

The Last of Us Parte II para PS4 | 3DJuegos

The Last of Us: Parte II. Todas las noticias, videos gameplay, imágenes, fecha de lanzamiento, análisis, opiniones, guías y trucos sobre The Last of Us 2 en 3DJuegos.
95/100

Last edited:

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true, but also probably the perceived gaudiness of it. Violence is a tricky one because people respond differently, but also the brevity of violent acts can be lost if they're not handled well. Which isn't a case of "too much gore", so much as shlocky writing beating the audience over the head with a point that doesn't land. It's like you could have a scene where, I dunno, a baby is set on fire alive or something and fuck that's traumatic. And then you run into its mother later and she's traumatised. And then you're forced to also set a baby on fire and the protagonist is traumatised. And then you're just like "this is fucking dumb and violent for the sake of being violent and it's so over the top and dumb the impact of said violence has done a U-turn and lost me".
Absolutely. The proof is in the pudding there. The pudding being "execution". We'll just have to see for ourselves next week. Although at the moment, the majority of reviewers (including Winstano in this very thread) say the level of violence feels earned. Of course, YMMV. Just gotta see how it pans out!

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Accidentally got spoiled on Twitter some months back. Wanted to see a reviewer who also got spoiled and see their impressions.

youtu.be

THE LAST OF US PART II REVIEW (No Spoilers) - Happy Console Gamer

The Last of Us Part II 2 Review no spoilers, is an upcoming action-adventure game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment fo...

No spoilers from the game, ofc (including none that were leaked). He basically said the spoilers made him not wanna play the game at all (like myself). However, The game has so much that it builds up to, and so much to say, he's incredibly happy that he did. Glad to hear. I'll probably pick this up then.