• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I9eBRiM.gif
How on earth does she survive in this world? Even animals are against her.

Mar 29, 2018
I dont think we watched the same trailers for UC4...Did you really miss all that drama about the downgrade from the reveal trailer?
Frankly mate, I couldn't give a fuck about "downgrades". Who cares. The games still look great, and in 5 years we'll have games that look even better.

It's not like a trailer is a legally binding contract which says a game MUST ALWAYS LOOK THIS GOOD and if not they're BREAKING THE LAW!!!

An early trailer is usually overpolished because the game's current build looks NOTHING like that, and so when you approach release you begin to get a realistic view of what the game will actually look like.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
So two new enemy types, dogs(which are game changers) and new infected. hoping for more s well.

Game looks so good. Love the addition of crawling and aiming while in it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Gonna go blind on this one. Read just the first two quotes from OP, enough for me. I wanna be surprised when I play this next year.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People comparing rainy/wet night time VS day and dry and saying graphics don't look the same.
No shit?

Those people are going to be eating more crow when the exact same gameplay (not cutscene) segments are compared and look 95% the same, in some places worse, in some places better. Case in point.

As DF themselves point out, the final game compared to the demo actually saw several improvements in lighting, motion blur, character detail etc.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stand people who talk about downgrades as if they're owed something other than the final product. In terms of being misled, I find that only applies if the very final trailers weeks before a product's release depict something very different than what you get. As far as something shown months or even years ago? Get out of here. You aren't entitled to anything just because you caught a glimpse of something and desperately want it so. I am speaking generally here and not commenting on whether this game was "downgraded" (god, I hate the word).

I have to imagine developers must get very annoyed reading stupid comments that harp on this. I'm pretty sure most try to match their initial graphical and performance goals, but often that does not happen as development progresses. They're caught between a rock and a hard place trying to show the community what they should be able to expect versus meeting the standard they initially set for themselves. The only ones who should be hard on them for any sort of downgrade is themselves. As players, y'all have no skin in the game and are free to not buy it. That's it.

It doesn't need to have anything to do with entitlement. Games get praised when the visuals improve, and there's disappointment when the visuals are perceived to have gotten worse. It can be an innocuous observation for a game you're still excited about.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I cannot stand people who talk about downgrades as if they're owed something other than the final product. In terms of being misled, I find that only applies if the very final trailers weeks before a product's release depict something very different than what you get. As far as something shown months or even years ago? Get out of here. You aren't entitled to anything just because you caught a glimpse of something and desperately want it so. I am speaking generally here and not commenting on whether this game was "downgraded" (god, I hate the word).

I have to imagine developers must get very annoyed reading stupid comments that harp on this. I'm pretty sure most try to match their initial graphical and performance goals, but often that does not happen as development progresses. They're caught between a rock and a hard place trying to show the community what they should be able to expect versus meeting the standard they initially set for themselves. The only ones who should be hard on them for any sort of downgrade is themselves. As players, y'all have no skin in the game and are free to not buy it. That's it.

As for this game, it looks beautiful and I can't wait to play it.

well said! People don't seem to realise that the initial reveal is mere a vision the devs have when development begins. When the final product looks slight different, people scream downgrade.

As I said, the initial reveal is what devs work towards and of course it will look different once fully adjusted to the respective hardware. There are never any promises, statements, declaration "what you see here, is what you get"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree, the animation looked less than perfect, definitely looks more "believable" now, as far as being a real game goes. Some of Ellie's running motion looked kinda weird. It still looks pretty good, but this game isn't looking like the graphical revolution it once seemed to be.
I guess overall it's still a bit hard to judge because some of the most impressive moments from the demo weren't replicated.

Like in this case how Ellie's melee animation perfectly fits the dynamically stunned enemy. Will have to wait and see on that.

TR5F5h4.gif

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Oh man... I'm preparing to go to bed and suddenly all these previews are up.
I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW X#@*%!!!!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can you link me to the DF video where they specifically lie to themse- I mean "confirm" that the reveal trailer from e3 2014 was surpassed in graphical fidelity by the final game?

No point in doing so, you already made up your mind. So whatever. lol

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree, the animation looked less than perfect, definitely looks more "believable" now, as far as being a real game goes. Some of Ellie's running motion looked kinda weird. It still looks pretty good, but this game isn't looking like the graphical revolution it once seemed to be.

That snowy environment looks remarkably similar to RDR2's equivalent. I expect better next-gen.

The animation is the same it's the way how it's played that look it more sloppy .

Compare to E3 trailer it look the same but it don't have to dodging to make it look long sequence.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't argue with people who talk about downgrade, there's no winning there.
I always love how they have no idea how much lighting changes the way something looks. Though it's funny when after release sites like DF go in and point out how it's in fact been improved if anything. Spidey PS4 being the most funny example of this.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I guess overall it's still a bit hard to judge because some of the most impressive moments from the demo weren't replicated.

Like in this case how Ellie's melee animation perfectly fits the dynamically stunned enemy. Will have to wait and see on that.

TR5F5h4.gif

TR5F5h4.gif
The animations still look great in the new footage but that feel of "is this really gameplay?" from the demo is not there.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna go into the downgrade talk, especially because I haven't analysed and compared the videos in detail.

But I gotta say I was amazingly impressed with E3 trailer, and not impressed with previews. Doesn't look beyond RDR2 or Uncharted and looks too similar to the first game which while I kinda enjoyed got tiring by the end.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Even if the animations won't be exactly the same as the ones in the E3 2018 demo we have reached an incredible level , especially considering that Ellie feels extremely responsive ( at least from the videos and the impressions of who played the game ).

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do devs always overshoot their expectations in terms of graphics?

For starters, there is no way to know for sure how your game will look when it ships in terms of fidelity. Development is a balancing act. As you build out your systems and features you're constantly trying to manage your frame budget, which can be impacted by plenty of things that aren't tied to visuals.

I've personally never seen a game get worse looking at either of the studios I've worked at. MODERN WARFARE seems to look better with each build. There are artistic changes made at times which will impact a map or level's appearance, but differences =/= downgrades.

In-Engine trailers or even real-time rendered cutscenes tend to look better than moment-to-moment gameplay because a lot of the time they use higher LOD profiles and have bespoke lighting setups that ensure the game looks best. All resources are aligned to make sure whatever the camera is facing looks great. If you were to break camera during one of those UC4 cutscenes and point it in the other direction you may be surprised by what you find (my guess, I haven't worked at ND).

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Dog sniffing? Don't know if I'll be able to play on hard without hunter vision like I did with the first game and listen mode.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I always love how they have no idea how much lighting changes the way something looks. Though it's funny when after release sites like DF go in and point out how it's in fact been improved if anything. Spidey PS4 being the most funny example of this.

Sony has reached that point where so many 1st party games getting this type of acclaim will always piss off many as well, which is weird.
Digital Foundry needed to come clean about 2 games already: Uncharted 4 and Spider-Man. I'm sure this one will be next.

Naughty Dog would never even plan this game for a hardware other than the PS4 over a year ago. It would make no sense to make it on a superior platform only to downgrade it later. Whats the point? By 2017 they had no idea how the PS5 would be and the PS4 was out for 5 years.