• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the dodge is still in the game? Didn't see it in the B-roll and it looked like a good feature.

Yeah, Huber mentions it in his preview. He said that he was initially nervous about it because he thought that you could just abuse it to avoid attacks, but he quickly learned that's not the case because the AI mixes up their timing.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Really now?
Thats not what I've been hearing especially here.

Its the same old cycle:
Game gets downgraded after a year, some people say it hasnt been, others explain how it has, then the excuses start rolling in. Wish ND would stop doing that and just reveal their games using graphics indicative of the final product.
Back at e3 2018 there were many people saying how a PS4 wouldnt possibly be able to handle it. They were right

Yeah, that's not how development works.

Aug 26, 2019
Idk Horizon and RDR2 looks just as good imo.
Actually they already do

AccurateConcreteAnnelida-size_restricted.gif
Red Dead 2 already looks at least as good as that I'd say.
That was really poor wording on my part. I meant to say the "average" open world. Think Shadow of War

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Yeah, Huber mentions it in his preview. He said that he was initially nervous about it because he thought that you could just abuse it to avoid attacks, but he quickly learned that's not the case because the AI mixes up their timing.
Can you dodge without being attacked? Does it require a contextual situation?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Environments are larger, with multiple-story buildings that add a sense of verticality to the fights. It's something that didn't exist in the first game.
I'm having flashbacks of the hotel (one of the best action sequences from the original, in my opinion). If the average encounter is going to play like that... Great times ahead.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thought the same thing. I'm hoping it's because it's an open area in daylight that the "volumetricness" (for lack of a better word) doesn't stack up to the gameplay reveal. I don't think the animation is quite on par with that video either, though.
Yeah I agree, the animation looked less than perfect, definitely looks more "believable" now, as far as being a real game goes. Some of Ellie's running motion looked kinda weird. It still looks pretty good, but this game isn't looking like the graphical revolution it once seemed to be.

I expect full open worlds to look like this next-gen. That's fairly reasonable right?
That snowy environment looks remarkably similar to RDR2's equivalent. I expect better next-gen.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
People comparing rainy/wet night time VS day and dry and saying graphics don't look the same.
No shit?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if the dodge is still in the game? Didn't see it in the B-roll and it looked like a good feature.
It is, Huber from EZA talked about it a little. Very effective in 1 on 1 but not super useful when fighting more. Really good with dealing with the dogs too, opens them up to a instant kill.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Look at the difference in the quality of the textures and even the models of the trees, foliage, cars, etc. I honestly dont know how you can not see it

You're just convincing yourself of a downgrade when really, there's not. And most importantly, you can't compare day footage and night footage. Night and wet always looks better in games.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Ellie looks much more agile than Joel in general, I wonder if he is playable at some point, will he also have same agility.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I agree, the animation looked less than perfect, definitely looks more "believable" now, as far as being a real game goes. Some of Ellie's running motion looked kinda weird. It still looks pretty good, but this game isn't looking like the graphical revolution it once seemed to be.
The E3 demo was not fake but rather choreographed(ND themselves said as much). I would imagine some players would be able to pull off similar things in the real game with lots of practice.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot stand people who talk about downgrades as if they're owed something other than the final product. In terms of being misled, I find that only applies if the very final trailers weeks before a product's release depict something very different than what you get. As far as something shown months or even years ago? Get out of here. You aren't entitled to anything just because you caught a glimpse of something and desperately want it so. I am speaking generally here and not commenting on whether this game was "downgraded" (god, I hate the word).

I have to imagine developers must get very annoyed reading stupid comments that harp on this. I'm pretty sure most try to match their initial graphical and performance goals, but often that does not happen as development progresses. They're caught between a rock and a hard place trying to show the community what they should be able to expect versus meeting the standard they initially set for themselves. The only ones who should be hard on them for any sort of downgrade is themselves. As players, y'all have no skin in the game and are free to not buy it. That's it.

As for this game, it looks beautiful and I can't wait to play it.

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the word I'd use. It's believable. Still excellent, but the seams are more visible.

My perception might also be affected by how up close and personal a lot of the violence was in the reveal, how you could really see the enemies making faces and stuff. Maybe that's all still in here, but in the demo the battlefield is less intimate and creates a more familiar gamey vibe than the carefully choreographed reveal.

Also the particle effects (i.e., explosives and fire) seem pretty weak to me and I'd say they look better in the trailer they just released than the gameplay footage. I'd need to see them side by side to be sure.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The E3 demo was not fake but rather choreographed(ND themselves said as much). I would imagine some players would be able to pull off similar things in the real game with lots of practice.
But this footage is basically the same, every outlet is showing the same b-roll from Naughty Dog.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This sounds like GOW all over again,glowing previews...probably gonna end up around the same scores as well.Phew....hurry up February!!!

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
More than anything else, the animations are wowing me.

Nearly everything seems so seamless, so smooth.

Naughty Dog are among the very best when it comes to animations.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Question Ellie's descent into darkness? Not me, fuck em, you can't have peace in a post apoc world if you let cults like that run around.
I do wonder though if they came to power because the fireflies left open a vacuum once Joel killed their leaders.