• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Wow, the game is really long then.

Its long. It was defeating at times IMO. but the finale is absolutely something to behold and makes the ride all the sweeter.

This is not a bingeable game.

How does that slow motion mode feel, does the game look like its running weird in slow mo or does it look smooth?

Not even sure yet, i'm at the very beginning of the game. I appreciate the toggle and aiming options though. If its anything like Uncharted 4 its usually smooth and adds new fun to the game for a second playthrough.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Platinum get! Kind of an underwhelming screenshot but eh.

5VlOStN.jpg

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
just finished the game.

Oh boy what a wild ride this game was, I didnt expect it to last this long. I'm glad I somehow stayed spoiler free for this entire journey.

Both the gameplay and graphics were amazing, however I will say the story felt like it was lacking focus. The first game story is still the best since there was a proper goal in that one, this felt like a middle act of a larger story (I guess that's why its called part 2 and not final)

Also if anyone doesn't mind sharing, was a the big controversy surrounding the game? Was it just the LGBT aspect? I really did just avoided anything tlou2 related

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Also if anyone doesn't mind sharing, was a the big controversy surrounding the game? Was it just the LGBT aspect? I really did just avoided anything tlou2 related

It was a lot of things.
Some people are bigots who hate that there's a lesbian relationship, or that there is a trans character. Some people are irrationally angry that Joel died and decided they would hate the game no matter what after reading that leak. Some people decided they would hate the game no matter what after the "play as abby" part of the leak. Some people are super pissed that Ellie didn't kill Abby at the end because they didn't understand the narrative point of this game at all. Sexists hating Abby's body type probably go in there a healthy amount too. Take your pick.

Obviously some people just don't like it for legitimate reasons too. But the metacritic score? mostly bigots and people reacting to the leaks.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
just finished the game.

Oh boy what a wild ride this game was, I didnt expect it to last this long. I'm glad I somehow stayed spoiler free for this entire journey.

Both the gameplay and graphics were amazing, however I will say the story felt like it was lacking focus. The first game story is still the best since there was a proper goal in that one, this felt like a middle act of a larger story (I guess that's why its called part 2 and not final)

Most of the criticisms I saw, have nothing to do with it, but about revenge (killing Abby) and Joel's death. As a sequel, I still think the game is totally mediocre, in terms of story in that sense. Too much flashbacks and you have basically zero expectation. A mess.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I get that sometimes it is a little hard to spoiler tag this game, but some people are so obtusely bad at it that it feels like it has to be intentional.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a lot of things.
Some people are bigots who hate that there's a lesbian relationship, or that there is a trans character. Some people are irrationally angry that Joel died and decided they would hate the game no matter what after reading that leak. Some people decided they would hate the game no matter what after the "play as abby" part of the leak. Some people are super pissed that Ellie didn't kill Abby at the end because they didn't understand the narrative point of this game at all. Sexists hating Abby's body type probably go in there a healthy amount too. Take your pick.

Obviously some people just don't like it for legitimate reasons too. But the metacritic score? mostly bigots and people reacting to the leaks.
Most of the criticisms I saw, have nothing to do with it, but about revenge (killing Abby) and Joel's death. As a sequel, I still think the game is totally mediocre, in terms of story in that sense. Too much flashbacks and you have basically zero expectation. A mess.

I see, thanks for the recap.

Some people these days. Its a shame the leak happened.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
God-damn the beats at the end of 3...

Walking with Abby we pick up a dog, another runs over to play fetch. Bear... I'd killed a WLF and his dog earlier, and when I killed the dog he called out "no, Bear!".
This game really likes to make you feel bad for what you've done...

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
Guys i need an update on how much i have left pls

I just want to know if its over or under two hours left. I just saw the barn scene from the e3 demo . This game man, holy fucking shit i'm so exhausted right now (in the best possible way).

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Even on Survivor+, the range at which enemies notice you the player is slightly less than the range they notice their friends dead bodies. I'm having some really weird moments where I'm in the middle of stealth killing someone and from the distance one of their squadmates is going "Oh my god, charlotte is dead, sweep the area".

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
My God...
I was really hoping and expecting the game to end but then there was that timeskip, Ellie left again and now I'm playing Abby again except this time in Cali. On the real, I was feeling horrible for Ellie. I was about to voice my displeasure of Ellie basically being broken but the game continued and now I'm fully in again lol.

I just want Ellie to be fucking happy man.

Last edited:

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm assuming I'm near the end

so I just got to California as Abby

any idea how long left? Also about the lead up to this

im sorry I fucking hate her. I'm glad tommy and Dina have lived so far, but fuck I hate her. People said she grows on you. Well not me. Numerous times I let Ellie kill her hoping it would allow it. seeing Ellies motivation for Joel's death being so guilt ridden is heartbreaking. such a sad depressing thing. This game man. 10/10

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm assuming I'm near the end

so I just got to California as Abby

any idea how long left? Also about the lead up to this

im sorry I fucking hate her. I'm glad tommy and Dina have lived so far, but fuck I hate her. People said she grows on you. Well not me. Numerous times I let Ellie kill her hoping it would allow it. seeing Ellies motivation for Joel's death being so guilt ridden is heartbreaking. such a sad depressing thing. This game man. 10/10
You got a few hrs

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing as Abby. That was a nice surprise, and it totally makes sense given its not easy to piece together what's happening on the WLF side at that point.
How far am I? Half way? I assume a bit further but I'm hoping playing with her is not too fast

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
When do I get to the second half of the game ? Or the fork in the road that seems to be so controversial and a turning point in the game ? I see it mentioned everywhere. I dont want it spoiled, but am I close?

just got to the hospital

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
When do I get to the second half of the game ? Or the fork in the road that seems to be so controversial and a turning point in the game ? I see it mentioned everywhere. I dont want it spoiled, but am I close?

just got to the hospital
You'll know when it happens, trust me. You're getting close to it but you're not definitely there yet. Trust, you will KNOW.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

just got to the hospital
You don't need to ask when it happens, you know exactly when, just keep playing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, my Spoiler Protection chrome app didn't catch one stream on Twitch and I saw a thumbnail of what I instantly could tell was part of the ending.

So, there's that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing as Abby. That was a nice surprise, and it totally makes sense given its not easy to piece together what's happening on the WLF side at that point.
How far am I? Half way? I assume a bit further but I'm hoping playing with her is not too fast
I don't want to say exactly how much, but don't worry about her part being fast.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Wow. Ok. This entire time the game has been omg after omg, so this moment will be more of an OMG type of omg?
When it happened I paused my game. Every streamer I've seen that's come to that part has paused their game and had a reaction to it. I don't know one person thus far I've seen not have a reaction to it.

I'm not even finished with the game yet, apparently I've got a few hours left but that part? Yeah, you will undoubtedly react to it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The enemy Ai feels really good in action scenes, but is really terrible at dealing with stealth. Its not uniquely terrible to this game of course, but it is more noticeable here because of how good it feels in action.

bTYkiJ8.jpg

Every single enemy in this screenshot was stealth killed, one after another, as they waded into the field of their dead friends. There were 2 more dead bodies off frame to the right. This was on Survivor + too.
I think a better ai move would be to have enemies refuse to approach area's where 4 of their friends all died in a row, and instead hold position to ambush people leaving that area if they can't flank.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it if they had some combat challenges for DLC. I'm actually missing combat at times lol.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo Abby. Man, it's hilarious if they're attempting to make me feel some type of way about murdering this D-List crew. When they flashbacked to her scene in the hospital after that zebra bit, I was smiling like a maniac thinking of all the fucked up ways I killed that doctor as Joel in so many different playthroughs. I think playing as Abby is going to be a ton of fun with different weapons and approaches but any emotional connection is more than lost. I think her destroying Joel cemented my feeling that anyone can and should die at any time in this universe.

And major shoutout to Naughty Dog - I'm getting two games in one here, it feels like I'm starting a brand new adventure with a new cast in TLOU universe with that little bit of intersectionality of murdering Joel. I'm properly hyped as I just reached here after almost thirty hours of combing through environments and slow progress. Abby is going to be a psycho, and I will absolutely feel nothing as we're learning about all the people we hunted as Ellie. Just cycles of violence, and a real sense that maybe everyone is going to die.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I was nearing the end.. but nope. I don't understand how people finished this within 1-2 days

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just reached the last little bit of the game.
Yoooo Abby beat the shit out of Ellie. It's crazy how I went from being upset that I was playing as Abby to liking her more than Ellie. I don't know how much I have left but I can't even imagine where the story is gonna go now.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. 28 hours on hard. Quick reaction is that it's a pretty good game. Combat and audio design is top tier, story and pacing.... not so great. This game needed some serious editing with both its structure and its length. Felt really overindulgent and messy at times. 8/10.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Even on Survivor+, the range at which enemies notice you the player is slightly less than the range they notice their friends dead bodies. I'm having some really weird moments where I'm in the middle of stealth killing someone and from the distance one of their squadmates is going "Oh my god, charlotte is dead, sweep the area".
I think you can make them be more alert in the options, but realistic stealth is not fan. You couldnt even take a step without been spotted. Stealth has to be unrealistic unfortunately in games.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I think you can make them be more alert in the options, but realistic stealth is not fan. You couldnt even take a step without been spotted. Stealth has to be unrealistic unfortunately in games.

I have it set as high as possible. Anyway, I wasn't arguing for "realistic" stealth. But the range at which they see dead bodies is longer than the range at which they see you. This leads to situations where an enemy is literally watching you stab their friend to death while screaming "oh my god, Skylar is dead, who could have done this". And that is goofy as fuck in a pretty serious game.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
yeah, playing this game in chunks, I feel, is the best approach. It's such a heavy, tense game, from gameplay to narrative, that it can definitely be overwhelming for extended play periods. I had a five day weekend this past weekend, and I spent the entire time streaming this game, but even then I took extended breaks from time to time.

mom hoping to beat it tonight, but I'm not sure, since I stealth myself way through as much as I can, so my play sessions go longer than I plan lol

Edit: mid to late game spoilers:

I actually really like Abby and her crew. I love that the game manages to humanize both Ellie, Abby, and the Seraphites by proxy through Yara and Lev. I love that the back half of the game re-contextualizes the first half by humanizing all those "nameless" grunts Ellie has been cutting through since her revenge quest began. I get why some people don't like it. It's uncomfortable to think that the "hero" of the story is behaving so much like a "villain." This game takes the adage, "everyone's a hero in their own story" and runs with it." I got into an argument with a coworker, because he hated the game, and thinks it shits on the legacy of the first, while I disagree, and thinks it builds on the narrative of the first in a beautiful way. He says it's just a generic revenge story, and how it beats you over the head with "revenge is bad, blah blah blah," and while I don't disagree, I feel like many of the best stories can be desfiles down to a simple idea. You can layer complexity over it, sure, but at their core, the narrative hook is usually damn straight forward.

the complexity of TLOU2's narrative isn't in the narrative hook, which is quite simple and "generic," it's the characters that add the complexity, and how those character relationships intertwine that make the game complex. I haven't beaten the game, but this next point doesn't require me to:

Like, the story is simple: "After witnessing the murder of her father figure, a young woman embarks on a quest across a war torn Seattle for revenge." Hell, the first game is just as simple: "After losing his daughter in a tragic event 20 years ago, a man finds new purpose when tasked with transporting precious cargo across a dangerous and hostile post apocalyptic America."

The complexity of TLOU is what gives the story its drama, not just the shock death of the father figure:

Ellie and Joel are living peacefully in his Tommy's community, but there are hints that Ellie and Joel aren't on the best of terms due to some unknown event, possibly related to a scuffle of sorts the night before.

While out on patrol, Joel and Tommy come across a young woman named Abby being chased by infected, and they choose to help her. She takes them back to her camp, where she brutally murders Joel in front of Ellie, who had come to find him after he and Tommy fail to check in.

Ellie, stricken with grief and rage, vows to hunt down and kill Abby. She will not let anyone stop her from this goal. Underneath that rage and grief is guilt. Her and Joel hadn't really patched things up, so she no doubt feels horrible that she has been robbed of the chance to "make things right with him."

During her revenge mission, she kills countless numbers of Abby's soldier colleagues, not giving a second thought to who they are, or whether or not they are anything more than obstacles in her way that must be disposed of. In any other story, this is standard fair. The hero is on a righteous quest, and the ends justify the means.

But Abby is the hero of her own story, remember? And at the halfway point of the story, we learn that Abby was a kind, dorky young lady who had a loving relationship with her father. He seemed like a typical dad, and was also a doctor for the massive community of survivors they were a part of. Until her father is killed brutality while attempting to perform an operation that could potentially save humanity from the deadly cordyceps virus. The only thing she knows of his killer is his name: Joel.

So she does exactly what Ellie does; she embarks on a quest to avenge the death of her father, but from what we can tell, she hasn't slaughtered countless individuals on this quest. But where we meet Abby is at the "end" of her revenge journey. She kills the "monster" who took her father away from her. We could get a whole game narrative about her own "heroes journey," and if the man she took revenge against wasn't Joel, we, as an audience, would have gone right along with her in righteous indignation.

So the game asks us this question: What happens when you put two protagonists against each other, each with understandable and justifiable motivations to do the things they do for their goals? That's where the complexity comes in. And that's where the player is challenged

🙏

luca

Oct 25, 2017
About to play and beat the Left Behind DLC for the first time, is it best to play it with TLOU1s plot in mind? Or can I go in not having a good recollection of TLOU1s plot? The only thing I clearly remember is Joel losing his daughter, and his lie to Ellie.