• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even in that context, it doesn't make much sense for Joel or Tommy to offer up their real names to complete strangers. It would have worked a lot better if they had both given Abby fake names, and then in the course of events Tommy had accidentally used the name "Joel."
There's literally never been a single instance of any character in this series giving out a fake name. Because they genuinely have no reason to do so. Social media is dead. The only way anybody finds out about anybody is hearsay, and in the most extreme circumstances people lose their individuality entirely if they're apart of a well known group. Take the fireflies for example. No one ever perceives them by their names, or relationships. It's always. "You're part of the fireflies." With the only way to know about anybody else is vague conversations. Joel wasn't some legend. Everyone he encounters is by coincidence.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Yo these game disks are super finicky, one fingerprint and it won't let me play at all

I mean yah I know "keep your disks clean" but this literally never happens with any other game I own, even if it's dirty and smudged

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle on my 4K HDR 65" OLED is showing me that this game is fucking next gen
75ab7de3-5c1a-4572-a0qk8i.jpeg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the earliest that you can get the bow? I wound up in the basement of some dude who was apparently Seattle's best bow hunter, with a trophy for bow marksmanship. I thought for sure the bow would be somewhere in there, but I didn't get it until slightly later (on the corpse of a guy locked in a garage).

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Several human encounters so far and just wow. It feels like it's ramping up more and more and the different paths lead to some amazing moments. I climbed a ladder thinking nobody was around when I see a dude at the top of the roof who hasn't spotted me so I sprint towards him and right as he notices me and literally says "holy shit" I'm mid-swing and bash him with a lead pipe and all he can do is utter one final blurbled groan as he falls to the ground without his jaw.

I'm really bad at conserving ammo. It's my first option in a panic and that seems to happen a lot lol.

This game is just insane. The combat feels so weighty and substantial.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'd really like if someone could tell me how far I am before sleeping.
I stopped just after
The second past sequence with Joel. I'm heading to an hospital as Ellie, it's still Day 2 apparently.

mittelos

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, just got thru opening, looks amazing but oh my god I forgot how loud my PS4 Pro is. Like Jesus h it's ridiculous. Digital version, had to stop playing because I couldn't stop thinking about that high pitched whining noise. Guess I'll try vacuuming it out tomorrow and hope that helps a little bit.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I have a Question.

So i got spoiled that Joel would die eventually, i still didn't wanted to watch any Videos discussing the Leaks. My Question is, why are there so many People that truly Hate Joels Death so much? I honestly don't get this. His Death felt to me like the proper Conclusion to his Story. If there are other Spoilers related to this then please don't say anything. I've just reached Seattle Day 2 and stopped right there.

I don't have a problem with it happening given the nature of TLoU's world. Anyone is for the taking, that's been established since the first game. I do think some of the criticisms of the execution is valid. It was setup as a bit of a surprise but with this underlying unease because you're playing with a stranger with malice intent that Joel and Tommy aren't aware of. It just bugs me the day that Joel and Tommy are out on Patrol, the weirdos in the cabin that want to kill Joel just have him fall in their lap in the craziest way. "It's impossible for us to outrun the infected on horseback to Jackson due to hundreds of infected and a brutal blizzard." Lol.

Anyway, I do see some people online legitimately mad at Joel dying... Among other things lol. It's a fitting end in a world that really don't give a fuck. I can already see that it's divisive. But watching Ellie go through that was heartbreaking, it hit just as hard as Sarah for me. But I'm a softy.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Regarding the motivations behind the WLF killing Joel my money is on Joel having done vile or horrible things to someone Abby knew/loved. Like, not just killing, but something 'low' if you want to put it that way. Joel was never a good person and he did say in the first game that he did horrible things in the past.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I just finished the Jacksonville part.
The pacing is... qquestionable. It's completely unlike TLOU1. It takes a long time to pick up.
Don't get me wrong, it's very good at slowly building up tension, until Joel's death. But while it hit hard on a first playthrough, I dread future playthroughs. It just takes a long time with nothing much happening for shit to go down and kick the plot into motion.

I like the gameplay, classic TLOU. I hoped you would get to play as Joel though, even for a little bit.
I like how Ellie is written. She's a teenager, figuring herself out and getting into mischief, even with all the atrocious things she has gone through.
I know this is a revenge story, but I hope stealth is a viable option. I disliked how TLOU1 forced you to kill people to progress in some points, and spawned new enemies out of nowhere that automatically know where you are if you did manage to kill everyone without getting into a gunfight. Simply, I hope stealth is a reasonable possibility in this game, and I don't end up being forced to kill or get into gunfights then yelled at by the game for indulging in killing people.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I get that and it's a fair point. But, I feel like with the game being ~30hrs long, it would have made a hell of a lot more sense if ND could have fit in some extra context around Ellie and Joel's relationship prior to killing him off and then sending her across the country to avenge him.

Understandable. Maybe because I just finished a play through of remaster again I'm more up to date, but I felt like the talk with tommy to recap the story, mixed with the guitar scene of Joel singing to Ellie showed how much she meant to him. It was all in song choice and lyrics. But again I just had a play though finish the day before release so maybe that paints my view differently

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
ND deserves huge props for all the accessibility options. Every single dev should follow their lead.

It's an amazing addition for disabled players and regular players as well.

I'm playing in the highest difficulty option with resources cranked to max and it's a blast! Gives me a lot of freedom to engage enemies and they are still a challenge, I'm loving it!

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Well... now that I've finished the game, I'd give it a 6/10.

I enjoyed my experience with the game, though overall I was disappointed with the unfocused story beats and the secondary characters. The times where I was honestly moved and enjoyed the game the most was when
Joel
was included in the scenes, and they were few and far between.

The overall ark of revenge was mostly lost and in the end pointless, toothless, and periodically I forgot what the point of the game was. The combat was fun, the game looked and sounded great, however, my overall opinion is the game wasn't all that fun for me, and it dragged a little at the end. When I finished the last of us I replayed the game immediately and several more times in the weeks that followed, won't be the case here, i'll be trading in my copy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ both are really fucking good.

The lighting in TLoU is much more realistic though. People need to zoom into the bark on both. They are pretty good lol.
Not just the lighting, there's a huge gulf in quality when it comes to DoF. Really gives TLOU2 that clean AF nearing CG look. That and just how absurdly dense the foliage is. All those years of other PS studios mentioning that ND asked them about foliage led to this moment lmao.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
A fewhours into the game, picked up my phone and noticed a Google notification. "The Last of Us Part 2 Ending Explained:.."

So fucking irritating. Internet is like a minefield for this game right now even without the targeted attacks from my damn Google account.

Game is gorgeous though. Feels great to play. Kinda surprised clickers make my skin crawl seemingly as much as they did the first time.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Just finished chapter 1.

I like it, but it's too intense to play late. I've got all weekend so I'm gonna get plenty of sleep and play tomorrow.

Production values are sky high but it's also on scripted rails. Like walking through a town everything is inaccessible. While going through enemy areas it's pretty obvious that there will be a jump scare so I listen see nothing and a fraction of a second later magically I get ambushed from the place I just checked.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to cross every location off my list. I went to the bank and picked it clean -- Got the shotgun, the little ring, etc, but when I left, Ellie did not cross it off the map. I thought I must have missed something so I went back and scoured. I went through the entire bank inch by inch over and over and she won't cross it off. I then explored around just outside the bank and nada.

Did I miss something or does she just not cross the bank off the map?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
A fewhours into the game, picked up my phone and noticed a Google notification. "The Last of Us Part 2 Ending Explained:.."

So fucking irritating. Internet is like a minefield for this game right now even without the targeted attacks from my damn Google account.

Game is gorgeous though. Feels great to play. Kinda surprised clickers make my skin crawl seemingly as much as they did the first time.

I mean in general I would go into notifications in Android and disable everything regardless of this game. Notifications are ads and intrusive.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I feel like the game needs to do a much better and more conscientious job of telling you when you are about to go through a One-Way Door, or otherwise move to an area where you won't be able to return to the previous section. I am tired of hopping over a ledge and suddenly realizing that I've probably left items behind and areas unexplored in the area I just came from.
Yeah, I think I forever locked myself out a building because I didn't open the door while inside and I can't get in the way I did before for some reason.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Whoo I just got to the hospital which is the section from the state of play and decided to take a break. Holy shit this games combat is intense, was going with survivor on my first play through but it was forcing me to stealth an entire area or just work around them. Loving the game so far, there's an absolutely beautiful moment I've encountered so far,
Joel taking Ellie to the museum was reminiscent of the giraffe scene for me.

edit: also my base PS4 is struggling to run this, constant frame drops for me and my audio keeps coming in and out on my PlayStation Gold headphones. Games still phenomenal, just wanted to point out a couple of my few critiques.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played tlou since the remastered came out, but getting right into the controls of the game felt so good, so right, like a nice pair of shoes

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Ha ha,

I was wondering when Ellie was going to stop

pretending she needed to wear a mask. The second that train started falling I knew the mask was going to break.

I'm 8 hours in and I'm at the Movie theatre. Controller is is near it's end, time for a break. Pick back up tomorrow.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
What's the best way to deal with dogs? At the house encountered getting my ass handed to me.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Whoo I just got to the hospital which is the section from the state of play and decided to take a break. Holy shit this games combat is intense, was going with survivor on my first play through but it was forcing me to stealth an entire area or just work around them. Loving the game so far, there's an absolutely beautiful moment I've encountered so far,
Joel taking Ellie to the museum was reminiscent of the giraffe scene for me.

edit: also my base PS4 is struggling to run this, constant frame drops for me and my audio keeps coming in and out on my PlayStation Gold headphones. Games still phenomenal, just wanted to point out a couple of my few critiques.
Ugh, that moment was so good.

made me sadder about Ellie losing Joel

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I don't have a problem with it happening given the nature of TLoU's world. Anyone is for the taking, that's been established since the first game. I do think some of the criticisms of the execution is valid. It was setup as a bit of a surprise but with this underlying unease because you're playing with a stranger with malice intent that Joel and Tommy aren't aware of. It just bugs me the day that Joel and Tommy are out on Patrol, the weirdos in the cabin that want to kill Joel just have him fall in their lap in the craziest way. "It's impossible for us to outrun the infected on horseback to Jackson due to hundreds of infected and a brutal blizzard." Lol.

Anyway, I do see some people online legitimately mad at Joel dying... Among other things lol. It's a fitting end in a world that really don't give a fuck. I can already see that it's divisive. But watching Ellie go through that was heartbreaking, it hit just as hard as Sarah for me. But I'm a softy.
While i understand this Criticism i don't get how this is what People take such huge Issues with, so much so that they are calling Druckmann a Hack or just as bad as David Cage. The Last of Us 1 had many of those "kinda hard to believe" Moments as well. The Hunters in Pittsburgh crashing with their only functionig Military Vehicle through Walls and Gates just to chase you. This thing directly shooting at you on a Highway and you still managing to get away, and having a weird ass Turret Section after the Sewers in which you kill dozens of those Guys and they seemingly don't care at that Point anymore.
Then and maybe that's a Me thing but i don't really get why so many People need Storys to be as "believeable as possible" Bullshit like Cinemasins proofs that if you look at every Story too closely you can literally nitpick everything to Death.
This might go off topic a little bit, but i just prefer in Storys Themes and Messaging way more than critizicing Stuff on totally subjective Things like Suspension of Disbelief.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I had no idea you could do those "cinematic kills" like at the end of the E3 2018 demo. This game man...

User Warned - Uneeded Hostility
Well... now that I've finished the game, I'd give it a 6/10.

I enjoyed my experience with the game, though overall I was disappointed with the unfocused story beats and the secondary characters. The times where I was honestly moved and enjoyed the game the most was when
Joel
was included in the scenes, and they were few and far between.

The overall ark of revenge was mostly lost and in the end pointless, toothless, and periodically I forgot what the point of the game was. The combat was fun, the game looked and sounded great, however, my overall opinion is the game wasn't all that fun for me, and it dragged a little at the end. When I finished the last of us I replayed the game immediately and several more times in the weeks that followed, won't be the case here, i'll be trading in my copy.

6 out of 10 my ass, get out of here with this bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
So anyone know how to activate the PO bonuses? I'm already at Seattle day 1 and I don't have the crafting training manual yet.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Got past the story turn at the 2 hour mark.
Honestly not sure how I feel about that, kind of conflicted and 'meh.' We will see...

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Keep encounterting glitches. Can't get to the cache at Gate West 2 because the game won't let me squeeze through. Kept dying when I let go of the rope in the court house elevator which was bad enough but on top of that I had to clear the lobby everytime. Even when I make a manual save the area is still reset. Now when I finally get down the elevator I'm staring at a glitched out world. Restarted the game and it's still there.

Ea7YoA2XgAAAiKQ