• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think the trailer is cleverly edited. I'm not convinced Ellie's girlfriend is the one that sets her on her revenge path. I can definitely see the Joel thing happening at the beginning, and he's the one that is killed. I feel like that big of a plot point (the death of her girlfriend being the catalyst for the story) is something that wouldn't be revealed in the trailer. Think about the beginning of the first game. I won't go into specifics, because I'm sure a lot of people still haven't played The Last of Us, but the trailers for the game didn't hint at the beginning with such clarity as what's implied here.

Sure, they could play it straight, but I'm not entirely sure it's as linearly spelled out as the trailer indicates. Although, I can't really see them killing Joel off that early either, but who knows at what point in the game that the "main" story kicks off? We could be playing for hours before the inciting incident happens. Spend some time catching up with Ellie and Joel, going on some runs, etc, etc, then BOOM, tragedy strikes and we're off.

Game looks phenomenal. TLOU is one of my favorite games of all time, and damn if this trailer doesn't make me want to dive back into the game again, despite my massive backlog screaming "stop playing shit you've already beaten a dozen times and play us instead!!"

I want that collector's edition so bad.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Official screens

the-last-of-us-state-r4kuk.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-0ek5v.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-d2kcq.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-kvj1m.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-rckbo.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-wpkvd.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-zwjpo.jpg

the-last-of-us-state-2bjqp.jpg
Mesmerizing, I'm just now noticing that's Dina too with the clicker and not Ellie lol.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
So I was thinking about something.
How do we know for sure that Joel lives in Jackson ?

In a interview about the ending of the first one, Joel said that :

What if Ellie told Joel she didn't want to be around him anymore ? So he decide to let her live in Jackson with his brother while he goes away to live not too far away as an ermit. So Ellie lives with Tommy and Maria for five year, Tommy becoming another surrogate father for her, explaining why he goes to see her after the "incident" happening in the trailer. That would also explain why they seem really close.
Ellie decide to run away and Tommy, being the leader of his community, can't follow her. So he goes and tell Joel, who tracks her.

That would explain why he's not the one comforting her, too. They fell apart. And after six years, they meet again. Ellie still feeling upset about what he did and Joel trying his best to not let her fall into hate like he did.

Edit : + if Joel was living with her, there would be no chance in hell he would let her go alone at first.
I do think Uncle Tommy's there to show compassion because Joel is a no-show, not because they're mourning something bad happening to Joel. You may be right that he's living away from the camp, but I'm wondering if Joel's turned into a heartless prick of a leader in the years since. Imagine Ellie losing the person she loves and Joel reacting coldly (i.e "people die, you have to move on", "she was careless", etc.). We may be starting off seeing a Joel that has completely lost his way and regressed back to where he was before meeting Ellie, or worse.

I like your idea more, though, as I don't want to see Joel become that unlikable. In any event, her tone at the end when addressing him suggests some form of estrangement.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Five years after their dangerous journey across the post-pandemic United States, Ellie and Joel have settled down in Jackson, Wyoming. Living amongst a thriving community of survivors has allowed them peace and stability, despite the constant threat of the infected and other, more desperate survivors.

When a violent event disrupts that peace, Ellie embarks on a relentless journey to carry out justice and find closure. As she hunts those responsible one by one, she is confronted with the devastating physical and emotional repercussions of her actions.

This very much makes it sound like it's a specific violent event that occurs in Jackson that sets Ellie off, rather than the trailer implying that something happens to Dina elsewhere.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Sinopsis taken from PS Store

Five years after their dangerous journey across the post-pandemic United States, Ellie and Joel have settled down in Jackson, Wyoming. Living amongst a thriving community of survivors has allowed them peace and stability, despite the constant threat of the infected and other, more desperate survivors. When a violent event disrupts that peace, Ellie embarks on a relentless journey to carry out justice and find closure. As she hunts those responsible one by one, she is confronted with the devastating physical and emotional repercussions of her actions.

A Complex and Emotional Story
Experience the escalating moral conflicts created by Ellie's relentless pursuit of vengeance. The cycle of violence left in her wake will challenge your notions of right versus wrong, good versus evil, and hero versus villain.

A Beautiful Yet Dangerous World
Set out on Ellie's journey, taking her from the peaceful mountains and forests of Jackson to the lush, overgrown ruins of greater Seattle. Encounter new survivor groups, unfamiliar and treacherous environments, and terrifying evolutions of the infected. Brought to life by the latest iteration of the Naughty Dog engine, the deadly characters and world are more realistic and meticulously detailed than ever before.

Tense and Desperate Action-Survival Gameplay
New and evolved gameplay systems deliver upon the life-or-death stakes of Ellie's journey through the hostile world. Feel her desperate struggle for survival through improved features such as high-intensity melee combat, fluid movement, and dynamic stealth. A broad variety of weapons, crafting items, skills, and updates allows you to personalize Ellie's capabilities to your play style.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I do think Uncle Tommy's there to show compassion because Joel is a no-show, not because they're mourning something bad happening to Joel. You may be right that he's living away from the camp, but I'm wondering if Joel's turned into a heartless prick of a leader in the years since. Imagine Ellie losing the person she loves and Joel reacting coldly (i.e "people die, you have to move on", "she was careless", etc.). We may be starting off seeing a Joel that has completely lost his way and regressed back to where he was before meeting Ellie, or worse.

I like your idea more, though, as I don't want to see Joel become that unlikable. In any event, her tone at the end when addressing him suggests some form of estrangement.

Nah, I don't think they would do Joel like that. Also, you can very much see a lot of regret in his eyes when he's looking down.
I can't find a gif right now so I'll edit it later.

Edit : Here's the gif. Like I said, you can see a lot of regret in his eyes.
VBZuzpD.gif

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm putting in for a half day on the 21st and starting my weekend early!

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Surprisingly I'm seeing some less than savory salty responses from people who are saying that they aren't getting the game for whatever reason.

Anywho their loss...

I'm there Day One, it's why I bought my PS4 Pro, and I'm going for the All Digital Deluxe Editon.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Emotional gut reactions over rational discourse. The game, imho, looks good but not better than RDR2. I was honestly more impresed by the visuals in FFVIIR.
Rational discourse is not stating your opinion with 0 solid evidence or comparisons. You didn't even attempt to line up screenshots, compare animations, image quality, aliasing, etc. The fact you just tried to identify blindly stating an opinion as rational discourse is hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I have a theory about the game.

I honestly think Dina is bad. Dina dying is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too fucking predictable, and I don't think we are giving Neil enough credit. I think Ellie walks in on Dina killing someone.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we assume the gameplay snippets are in a linear timeline, the part with her in a mask is well after Dina is supposedly killed and Ellie is on her own.
Ellie is literally the person who falls through the floor at the 00:43 mark.

Not sure where you see Ellie wearing a mask in the red light area. edit: Ahh there are two red light areas, why assume that the trailer is linear and that the bloater section isn't when you are with Dina?

Apr 19, 2018
Damn, the most powerful part of the trailer for me is Ellie's shaking hand clenching into a fist.

Berserker Ellie unleashed.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I already immediately don't trust that fucker in the cowboy hat. Strong Micah Bell vibes. No background character wears a cowboy hat for nothing.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I see so many in here using terrible image quality screencaps of the characters, I thought I'd make a few that are of higher resolution and less compression. They'll do until direct feed screens hopefully release. :)

48790614402_07c3a5d237_o.png

48790106168_bf3506f190_o.png

48790614772_543f3fcb9f_o.png
They have put a real focus on hands in every single trailer we have seen so far, which you can see there is an immense amount of attention to detail on. Looks amazing, masterful.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Ellie is literally the person who falls through the floor at the 00:43 mark.

Not sure where you see Ellie wearing a mask in the red light area. edit: Ahh there are two red light areas, why assume that the trailer is linear and that the bloater section isn't when you are with Dina?

When she's shooting a bloater with a rifle

Edit: just saw your edit. Yeah im assuming its linear because thats just how the trailer seems to play out.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I have a theory about the game.

I honestly think Dina is bad. Dina dying is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too fucking predictable, and I don't think we are giving Neil enough credit. I think Ellie walks in on Dina killing someone.
Yup, I think she's the real villian. She rats out Ellie to that cult/ former fireflies that Ellie is immune. The whole game is her getting revenge against them. Joel is killed along the way.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
TLOU2 being the longest developed Naughty Dog game ever (5 years), they could pull a RDR2 and introduce the Multiplayer at a later time.

Seems to me they're going all in on the Single Player campaign this time. With good reason seeing how full of cuts the trailer was.
Good points.

That's probably the best way to do both and not have one suffer.