• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Yeah, I am 100% going with that Joel was killed in front of Ellie.
Dina was cult leader and that hand grabbing you is Tommy who will be your sidekick and wants revenge too.

why would you wear dina's bracelet in the whole game as ellie if you just wanted to kill her the whole time. That doesn't sound like her

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Q4De7nQ.gif

Good to see some regular hunters and varying levels of gibbing!
Will there be female enemies? Seems they are all dudes

Plum

May 31, 2018
How could they miss a Holiday 2019 release ? After such a dry year for Playstation ? February 2020 ? Like 2 months after December 2019 ? They really needed another 2 months after more than 5 years of development ?

Sony isn't going to release two major blockbusters back to back in an
Why is revenge as a thematic core any less interesting than the thematic core of the first game?

Because there's a lot more that a story can say about family than revenge. With revenge you can definitely explore some interesting things but, at the end of the day, it's always going to come down to a moral question of whether revenge is right or wrong. It's also something that very rarely says much about the actual human condition because, frankly, most of us are never going to go on any sort of revenge crusade and I don't really see that changing any time soon lol

I can't speak for your tastes or what you do or do not find interesting, but personally "exploring the breakdown of one's humanity, conscience or morality, what one will or will not do in pursuit of revenge, how it might mentally or physically impact someone or their relationships" and everything else that comes with it, explored in great detail in a video game with characters that are so well realised, sounds incredibly interesting to me.

Well yeah of course this all comes down to tastes, which is why I didn't appreciate you implying that I can't comprehend the game's themes. I can comprehend them, and I'm not reducing what depth there will likely be, but I still don't believe that revenge is an interesting thematic core to play with and dressing up as the 'breakdown of one's humanity' does not remove that core in my eyes.

People are criticizing you saying that the game has a B-movie schlock ceiling just because at its base it is a 'revenge' story. Not your intelligence.

You're also now saying the entire game has no 'thematic value' because of how you personally feel because of limited information. If that's your take, expect people to take exception to it.

I hope you hold everything up to the same standards and not just big budget Sony games. You probably wouldn't end up playing anything though.

Yeah I'm not going to reply any further if you're gonna accuse me of being an anti-Sony warrior who won't play the game despite me literally saying that I'm going to play the game Day One.

I see what youre saying. Revenge/hate being the core theme is a relatively small box to work with. But I also believe it's possible to create something compelling and interesting withing that small boundary. TLOU 1 was the same way. It didnt necessarily show us anything we've never seen before, it just did it very well for a video game. Part 2 working with characters we've become attached to arguably makes it less about the themes of the game and more about their personal journeys. And at that point, it just needs to be done well.

It's not really the originallity that's the issue because, frankly, every story has been told countless times; my issue is with the theme of revenge specifically. But you are right in that compelling narratives can be created through that small boundary, but like with many things I just can't help but feel that things could be so much more interesting if they decided to focus on something with a bit of a larger boundary.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing that I can say about that trailer that hasn't already been mentioned a few hundred times here. So I'll just say that it's very well possible we just got our best glimpse at 2020's Game of the Year. Maybe even THE game of this generation.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Girl with the gas mask is definitely Dina. You can tell by the jacket she's wearing matches the jacket Dina has when they leave the town.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they decided to ship the game on two discs to capitalize on the excitement that FFVII generated when it was also revealed that it was shipping on two discs? Or does this decision go back way before then. What I mean is, maybe the game could have shipped on one disc if they compressed stuff more, but decided against it to make sure the technical quality was as top notch as it could be. Maybe the game will have uncompressed audio?

Yama

Oct 29, 2017
Any info on when Ellie's edition is able to be pre-ordered? I see collectors up now only.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
All I think is that someone's about to lose his manhood

Farewell sausage.

Possibly, but aside from that he looks emaciated. Like they've been starving him.

That's the other interesting part, because the previous trailer featured this mural of a woman that presumably the Seraphites follow

FeK28Za.png

The man that appears to be doing the torturing also isn't bald, and the men in the Seraphites all seem to shave their heads while the women wear their hair in crown shape.

Nice catch. There might be a third party involved.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Two Different Scenes:

TheLastofUs2-3-1560x880.jpg.webp

48790086617_ee14e9d0ac_o.png

Still seems like Joel since the sleeve is the same color but clearly they're trying to hide something.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Do you think they decided to ship the game on two discs to capitalize on the excitement that FFVII generated when it was also revealed that it was shipping on two discs? Or does this decision go back way before then.

There's a chance marketing could have come into it but the more likely scenario is that Naughty Dog needed more space and, with them being Naughty Dog, Sony was like "yep," and gave that to them.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yes

The E3 2018 gameplay video had a bunch
Huh, right, I vaguely remember that. Wonder if that means Joel isn't playable at all, or if we'll see him go through women too.

If this game really wants to get brutal...I wonder if we'll see teenager enemies? Presumably, there are a lot of younger people who are trained to kill. Really curious how bad this game Is going to get, I can already imagine the articles on the violence being too realistic.

God knows the detail behind the gore.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
holy fuck at the backgrounds in that.

lmao downgrade they said
I'm convinced that the people yelling downgrade are nothing more then petty fanboys who have lived in agony ever since the gameplay reveal last year waiting for an opportunity to hate on the game. They would rather die than actually admit a game of the opposing console looks incredible...sad when you think about it..really sad..

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No way is Dina the character whose death becomes Ellie's call to action. The backlash over fridging a gay female love interest would be massive and I think this trailer is incredibly misleading. I bet Joel gets axed in front of her and the big reveal is that Dina is somehow involved with this cult.

that seems like the exact type of switcheroo Druckmann would write. David's fake protagonist intro in TLoU was the same way.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Looks like the ellie edition on Best Buy just went down to $230 instead of $250. Still not available to pre order though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly, but aside from that he looks emaciated. Like they've been starving him.

That's the other interesting part, because the previous trailer featured this mural of a woman that presumably the Seraphites follow

FeK28Za.png

The man that appears to be doing the torturing also isn't bald, and the men in the Seraphites all seem to shave their heads while the women wear their hair in crown shape.
His clothes look military, so either a government guy, we have very little interactions with them, so overdue, maybe fucking with people from Tommy Village or an ex Firefly hunting Joel/Ellie is my mostly baseless guess.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Why I don't understand of THAT scene is: Why would they kill Dina and not Ellie? Why not both? Maybe is just to send a message but I don't know. I could see them killing Joel because of what he is or who he is and that's why they don't kill Ellie, she might not matter to them.

Anyway, we'll never know until release lol.