• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think there's a chance that next-gen consoles could possibly match this perceptually? Like, obviously the PS5 and XSX could never render this exact trailer in real-time, but could they possibly get something so good that most people couldn't tell the difference at a glance?

That's happened this generation with titles like GT: Sport, so anything is possible! Early glimpses are certainly promising.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Whoever is doing these CG trailers is doing a good job. And the actual dev studios are great at communicating their game to them. These ads feel so cohesive to the actual games/product.

Can NOT wait to see Ellie and Joel again. I've missed them.

I wonder what movies this would have previewed in in theaters, had there not been this whole pandemic 🤔

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Music is going to be a big part of this game isn't it?

- Ellie guitar concept art
- psx 2016 reveal, set to Ellie's vocals/guitar
- psx 2017 panel, Joel and Ellie duet live performance with Joel on guitar
- final trailer, Set to Ellie's vocals/guitar
I can see it now: heavy cutscenes

Cut to music

Similar to RDR2, which did an excellent job with the music sprinkled into key moments

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Wow. That's awesome. Gorgeous with cool sound. And New Order has been a fave for 30-some years.

But man. Maybe it's because I live in downtown Minneapolis and it's been a rough last ten days or so, but I don't think I can play this right now. It's so dark. The pandemic-caused post apocalypse where society turns on each other...just can't do it right now. I can't be the only one. Animal Crossing mania is evidence of that right? Just realized typing this I've been Unconsciously avoiding anything dark of late. Animal Crossing. Picross. Ori. Fortnite. Kingdom Hearts. Forza Horizon Lego Champions.

Colors. Cute. Light. Huh. Well it'll be cheap when I'm finally ready I guess

thank god for video games.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, the tonal difference between New Order's True Faith and the Lotte Kestner cover version that they got Johnson to sing in the trailer is crazy, lol. I had to buy Kestner's cover of the song, I've had it stuck in my head since the trailer released.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's happened this generation with titles like GT: Sport, so anything is possible! Early glimpses are certainly promising.

True, though aren't racing games easier to manage this with because cars are less detailed than humans and nowhere near as complex to get right as animated human faces/bodies? The only uncanny valley for cars would be an actual valley. 😁

She's a bit upset she wasn't given any credit:

Here's her original cover:

Well this is shitty, I hope they respond to her and fix this up.

Oct 27, 2017
She's a bit upset she wasn't given any credit:

Here's her original cover:

This would explain why they made the original upload private.

I fail to see what "original parts" she is referring too. All the lyrics in that YouTube clip are the same as the original New Order version.

The original had sections with "small boy", she changed hers to "small girl". Only difference I've heard so far.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

The original had sections with "small boy", she changed hers to "small girl". Only difference I've heard so far.
She can't really claim that they ripped off her cover because of those two words

How many other people have covered the song and changed it from small boy to small girl?

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017

Good catch - I didn't notice that, but that's a nothing change and that part of the song isn't even included in TLOU2 trailer.

Original artists should always be given credit, but this seems like a massive stretch. It's literally just an acoustic cover of the New Order track, nothing more.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
She can't really claim that they ripped off her cover because of those two words

How many other people have covered the song and changed it from small boy to small girl?
I think changing boy to girl doesn't mean they stole it from her cover.

Let's see how this develops.
Good catch - I didn't notice that, but that's a nothing change and that part of the song isn't even included in TLOU2 trailer.

Original artists should always be given credit, but this seems like a massive stretch. It's literally just an acoustic cover of the New Order track, nothing more.
She's talking about the section at 3:30 of her cover which is at the end of the ad.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Man... I got chills. What an amazing trailer.
Do you guys know who sing this cover version used in the clip? I like it better than the original

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sony does nice CG trailers for their exclusives. :) I don't think we'll need those for PS5 anymore though.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
She's talking about the section at 3:30 of her cover which is at the end of the ad.

It's a small bit of vocal harmonising / freestyling that sounds similar. Her saying she "wrote" it is a bit much. I can certainly see her point of view but she doesn't really have a case here.

As long as Naughty Dog have the right to use the song from New Order (which I assume they do) they are covered legally. Their cover version may have a similar arrangement and tone to someone else's cover, but that's the nature of cover songs.

How many acoustic versions of Wonderwall are knocking around on the internet? Those artists don't have a claim every time it's used in an advert.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I love how Ellie keeps her hair is so reminiscent of Tess.

That advert actually makes me well up a bit when you see Dina's expression and how much hurt and loss Ellie had to wade through before finding someone that will care for her in that way. Just to be thrown right back into it all.