• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That's great news. Now let's hope the story is good and wraps things up nicely. Judging by some of the comments I saw about it yesterday I really wonder about that. But you can never please everyone. Personally I didn't read any spoilers.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm legitimately thinking of taking some time off for this, but afraid that it's going to get delayed again...

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the exact spoilers are, but I can guess based on this comment. The first thought came to mind was "what could spoiled in a singular Twitch chat message ... oh". I would avoid even making statements like this, tbh.

I'm not implying anything, I've had nothing spoiled. I'm just warning others as I've had plenty of things spoiled in Twitch chat.

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent delay, really had no reason to believe this game would launch before late august/september. June -August is like no mans land when it comes to game releases let alone high profile ones.

Hard to feel like the leaks didn't play at least some part.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Too bad. After reading the leaks I'm not planning on buying the game anymore. If I do it'll be when it's like £10 on PS5.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there'd be a significant drop. I'm sure TLOU2 will be as good played earlier or later but zeitgeists are a thing - people will want to be more invovled in and around release when everyone else is discussing it than a few months down the line.

I also don't think the conversion to buying digital will be as smooth as you imagine either - here in the UK, digital is regularly more expensive than physical, while other territories have to deal with data caps and slow download speeds.
The zeitgeist is happening now, and it's bad press and will absolutely turn more people off from picking up the game for full price. THIS IS NOT A COMMENT ON ANY SPOILERS

Edit: see the post directly above this for an example.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
With the recent delay, really had no reason to believe this game would launch before late august/september. June -August is like no mans land when it comes to game releases let alone high profile ones.

Hard to feel like the leaks didn't play at least some part.
The original Last of Us released in June.

The leaks had no impact on the new release date.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Was hoping this would be moved to the end of the year to have more chance of having mp ready.

Not interested in the campaign the first one should have been the end but I was up for more factions

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% this was done because of the leaks.

An "indefinite" delay being just three weeks? Come on.
No chance. Things don't happen that quickly. You don't get all the necessary players, sign deals with retail partners, and come to a final decision in less than 24 hours. Classic case of post hoc fallacy.

And, yes, actually. Naughty Dogs initial announcement of the delay said that they hoped it wouldn't be that long, and thankfully, it isn't. No need for conspiracy there.

No way of knowing what would happen when with COVID-19, so they took a proactive cautious approach. As things turned out, they were able to release it earlier rather than later with the way things developed, with when economies started opening up again, etc. No more to it than that, no need for conspiracies. Just the way things worked out, which is what they were hoping for in the initial announcement.

Not to mention how insulting this whole notion is. Wording it that way, what's the implication supposed to be here? That they never truly cared about COVID-19 at all/the delay wasn't REALLY due to that at all, or that it was about coronavirus, but they care about spoilers and leaks far more than any of that, and rush to undo it because they care more about leaks?

No way, that whole idea is just insulting on multiple levels and just the whole timeline of it makes no sense regardless.

Mar 29, 2018
I've worked in retail a huge chunk of my life. People arent going into stores right now to buy physical media.

FF7 released 2 weeks early unplanned in Australia. Did they ruin their relationship with american retailers?
Not comparable at all.

2 weeks early retail in one country isn't the same as over a month early, digital, worldwide while retailers worldwide sit twiddling their thumbs - many of their shops closed anyway - as they watch sales disappear into thin air

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
You have a vast misunderstanding of a lot of things.

I can say I understand this delay has been handled with more force than needed, even if it wasn't related to the whole game being out there now.

A three week delay is why they were cancelling and refunding digital preorders? How many here assumed they'd be playing it in June after they did this?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

How do you know for definite though?

I'm sure Jason Schrier will be working his magic right about now.

As has been mentioned countless times in this thread, release dates for your companies biggest game of the past 5/6 years aren't just plucked out of thin air in the space of 24 hours.

The closest you'll get to the leaks affecting this is that it affected a decision to make the announcement a few days earlier than planned. There was no impact on the date they chose for release though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've worked in retail a huge chunk of my life. People arent going into stores right now to buy physical media.

FF7 released 2 weeks early unplanned in Australia. Did they ruin their relationship with american retailers?

Doesn't matter whether people are going into stores or not, they're still ordering from retail channels online, hence physical copies of a game like FFVIIR ran out of stock at countless outlets.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, even tho I don't plan on playing it anytime soon, lol.

The media blackout I'm trying to do for this is gonna be rough.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
So, what was the point of the delay? I though it was because of the pandemic. Do they expect things to be normal in June?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony firing on all cylinders in the run up to PS5. Day one on both. What a time to be alive.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I can say I understand this delay has been handled with more force than needed, even if it wasn't related to the whole game being out there now.

A three week delay is why they were cancelling and refunding digital preorders? How many here assumed they'd be playing it in June after they did this?

Games need to have a release date to be up for pre-order, talk about reading too much into things.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

How about the shortages FFVII suffered? You think Sony wants the same with their biggest game ever?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
So, what was the point of the delay? I though it was because of the pandemic. Do they expect things to be normal in June?
it's been mentioned a ton of times in this very thread, but it was a distribution related issue... just like there were issues with getting FF7R physical copies out to different regions.

They want to make sure that there can be a enough copies out to fill demand to a variety of retailers across different regions for a proper launch.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not comparable at all.

2 weeks early retail in one country isn't the same as over a month early, digital, worldwide while retailers worldwide sit twiddling their thumbs - many of their shops closed anyway - as they watch sales disappear into thin air
Movies often release digitally before physical and somehow that relationship remains intact.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): hostility

You have a vast misunderstanding of a lot of things.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thrilled that they are releasing it in June. But if the delay was largely due to economic concerns, wont those all still be there three weeks later? I wonder what happened? Did they see the FF7 numbers and decide the market is fine?