• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To all of the people being dismissive or judgemental. Seriously, go get bent.

to OP, please know that things although they may be tough right now will find a way to get better one way or another. Also, keep finding things to look forward to. The Last of Us Part 2 is a big one for me as well. Keep finding those things that drive you and it will help you get through this. I've definitely seen my share of tough times as well and good media has often kept me going, so I get it as well. No need to feel bad. Just do what you can to take care of yourself, and take it a day at a time. Remember that even if it feels like things aren't better on some days, that there's always another shot at a good day.

This.

Keep hanging in there OP and find new things to keep you going. I love games (and other media) and the escape they provide me and have definitely been in the same boat. Just take it a day at a time and take care of yourself.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In my 40 something years I've come to realize that there's always something to look forward to. Even if it's just a little thing. Even if it's just temporary.

TLOU2 is your next thing, but I guarantee that you'll find something beyond that. Something that will make you say "man, I can't wait to see that. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does next. I can't wait to see what those real next gen games are going to look like."

You find the little things that keep you going day in and day out.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Same for me too, Tlou2, then ghost of tsushima, then cyberpunk 2077, then ps5 funny how they space out. No trip this year when we are dealing with a pandemic, may loose my job in a month which is not in my control, but that is pretty much all I got left for things to look forward to.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Must be rough OP but I sure hope everything is better in your life come June 19th, I hope you enjoy the game and get excited for the future.

I can't wait for TLOU PII either and I can't believe it is less than 30 days away.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm genuinely sorry to hear you're having such a hard time, OP. This was more or less me a few years ago with Smash 4 and it's great that you have something to look forward to, no matter what that something is.

I'm sure you already know this because you're living it, but mental health and mental illness are no joke and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, make you feel like it's your fault, or that you're doing it to yourself and just need to "get over it." None of those things are true and you have to practice self-care more than ever right now and allow yourself the space and grace to see your way through this period in your life.

All this said, no matter how much you're looking forward to something that you know will bring you joy through escapism, please understand that that something -- be it The Last of Us Part II, another game, or anything outside of video games -- doesn't, shouldn't, and frankly can't replace the act of seeking professional help and treatment. I don't know you personally so I can't say how much you care (or not) that mental illness is still so stigmatized in our society, but there is absolutely no shame at all in admitting you're depressed, or anxious, or whatever it is you feel you are and need help.

To put it plainly: Please seek the professional help you need and get in touch with a mental health professional as soon as possible so you can get started on some kind of treatment plan that may bring a little light back into your life and help you get out of your head (something I too have needed a lot of ongoing assistance with and still do).

I'm no mental health professional myself, but as I said I do take mental illness very seriously because I know how silently vicious the suffering can be, all of which is to say that you are more than welcome to DM me anytime if you need someone to bounce things off of or just listen. No one else can fix your problems, of course, but we can help share the burden during the darkest times.

Wishing you all the best, OP. Please reach out anytime if you need someone, even a stranger, to be there and listen. :)

Also, if you need some reliable resources to help you find the assistance you need, check out Safe in Our World, a recently-launched and professionally vetted charity focused on promoting mental health awareness and wellbeing in the game industry, both for players and developers. I think you might find it very helpful!

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It's not pathetic at all. I think there are many, many people who feel the way you do my friend, and I can only say that I know you'll keep finding things to live for, and that I hope some day soon, you'll be able to find true happiness. Hang in there, just know you're not alone in this.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't interpret the OP as a cry for help. Shit really sucks right now for a lot of people and we can't predict when we'll be on the other side of all this, if ever. Having media to look forward to can be a light in dark times as corny as that sounds.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Been there before, OP. Possibly (hopefully not) will be there again in the future. I hope the game lives up to all your expectations and gives you some great joy, and I hope you get the help you need and are able to find joy in other things as well. Stay strong friend!

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Hey, if you want someone to talk I'm here and I would be glad ro listen to you... or read...

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you OP. I am a sufferrer of depression, anxiety and autism (quite the trifecta) and the way I got through life was movie release at a time, finding solace in a theater, and knowing the film fest would come every September... then the virus hit. What's been keeping me waking up every day is Series X and PS5 news, and my never ending hype for Grounded, Obsidian and PlayGround's RPGs and Halo Infinite.

Whatever keeps you going is important, and do seek help if you need it, I have. That said, as well, find more things to be excited for. Maybe it's Sony Santa Monica's next game. Maybe it's Horizon Zero Dawn 2. Maybe Ghost of Tsushima. Because if TLOU Part II disappoints, it may sting worse. I know because I got through the first death in the family in ages and the reemergence of my depression by hyping up The Last Jedi, and seeing my childhood hero Luke again. And seeing that movie and what he became... hurt on a level it probably wouldn't have otherwise. So be sure to spread the hype around, stay safe, stay happy and take care of yourself.

I have the trifecta too, plus ADHD (all professionally diagnosed). Movies and video games are the number one thing I look forward to in life, even though my time with them is sparse.

People always say "get help" or "talk to someone" in these threads. Maybe that's helpful advice for a small number of people, but most of us have already done both several times throughout our lives (assuming we can even afford professional help in the first place). Sometimes a person's life is just genuinely bad, and there's no sugarcoating it. I haven't been a happy person for the majority of my life. I've been through therapy, I've overcome addiction, and guess what? Every day is still a struggle for me. Some people's lives are just genuinely shit, even though they've done (and continue to do) the work of self-improvement and seeking treatment. There's no short-term positive outlook, and the long-term is a complete unknown, so the little things become precious to you.

Not only am I struggling in my personal life, but the wider world is on fire, and there's no political will among the normies to change it because they don't really understand why their old world is dying. I take no shame in finding great comfort in a little bit of escapism.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sorry Bojack tho I understand how you feel. I've told my therapist something similar and she said it's okay to need those little breadcrumbs in your life to get you from day to day. If that's what you look forward to then it's good you have something to look forward to that keeps you waking up every day. I myself have a very bleak view of the future so I need small things to care about in order to keep me going.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I have the trifecta too, plus ADHD (all professionally diagnosed). Movies and video games are the number one thing I look forward to in life, even though my time with them is sparse.

People always say "get help" or "talk to someone" in these threads. Maybe that's helpful advice for a small number of people, but most of us have already done both several times throughout our lives (assuming we can even afford professional help in the first place). Sometimes a person's life is just genuinely bad, and there's no sugarcoating it. I haven't been a happy person for the majority of my life. I've been through therapy, I've overcome addiction, and guess what? Every day is still a struggle for me. Some people's lives are just genuinely shit, even though they've done (and continue to do) the work of self-improvement and seeking treatment. There's no short-term positive outlook, and the long-term is a complete unknown, so the little things become precious to you.

Not only am I struggling in my personal life, but the wider world is on fire, and there's no political will among the normies to change it because they don't really understand why their old world is dying. I take no shame in finding great comfort in a little bit of escapism.
Rare to find someone who also has the trifecta. Agreed on all accounts. I'm lucky to have found a Psychiatrist covered here in Canada, but it took me a good while. And yeah, no shame in escapism. Especially nowadays. Take it easy and congrats on overcoming an addiction. I know it doesn't take away all troubles, but it's a hard barrier to overcome so take pride in it. Cheers! :)

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Talk to someone. You need more purpose in your life. This pandemic thing is a killer if you have nobody. Go outside even just to a park and enjoy the weather can help where you see others around.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
When you think about what a game like TLoU2 is and what a rare phenomenon it is in the grand scheme of things, I don't think its too crazy to say its something worth living for.

The pandemic itself should highlight that. A fruit of human genius and labor such as this one cannot be taken for granted.

If someone says "art is the only thing worth living for" no one would bat an eye.

Its not pathetic. It is what it is.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I know how you feel OP you aren't alone. In these shitty times TLOU2 is the only thing I'm looking forward to in the short term, then GoT and cyberpunk. I suspect tenet will be delayed so thank god for video games.

In the meantime I'm enjoying other games, listening to audiobooks and watching tv shows. Grab on to what makes you happy. Video games rock.

Ff7 sales just prove that Sony was wrong to delay tlou2, we should be playing right now!!

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
Rare to find someone who also has the trifecta. Agreed on all accounts. I'm lucky to have found a Psychiatrist covered here in Canada, but it took me a good while. And yeah, no shame in escapism. Especially nowadays. Take it easy and congrats on overcoming an addiction. I know it doesn't take away all troubles, but it's a hard barrier to overcome so take pride in it. Cheers! :)
You too! In spite of everything, I remain an optimist and a fighter until the end.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At my lowest points I'd also say video games were the only things I really had to look forward to, op. I didn't have much of a support system growing up, so they really were my only escape. I'm lucky enough now to have a group of friends that make me happy, and we all play games together a few times a week. Video games will always be a massive part of my life, and I hope they'll always be a part of yours. And I also hope that Last of Us 2 lives up to all of your wildest dreams, lol

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I know. This is pathetic and sad, but it's the truth. Right now, I'm tired of everything. Tired and scared. And I just wanted to made a thread to tell game developers - if they read this - that there are people like me around the world that need your art sometimes. Sometimes it's not just a game to us. Sometimes it's a reason to be excited and keep living.

And to Naughty Dog, if any of these lovely bastards are reading this, we know things have been tough for you. We know you've suffered a lot and it sucks to be smashed by all these negativities that you've been receiving recently, and I just want you to know, we appreciate your hardwork and your honesty. I am happy to be alive, to have a chance to play Part II, and I can't wait for that moment when I can select "New Game".

Thanks for everything,

BoJack.
I feel you. I've been in that place where I had to find a reason to live and continue on in the most unlikeliest of things. Just know that this is not a cheerful game and it'll probably not leave you in a happy place when you're done with it.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
That lack of motivation and vitality is depression, my friend, and I know something about it. I intend to occupy myself and find activities that will keep my mind busy, and so should you. Have you ever thought of doing charity work?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP, there is nothing pathetic about what you're saying. I've been through hell as well, lost my mom far too early, as if that wasn't enough I lost my dad 2 years later. Had to deal with funerals and cleaning out my parents house and sell it while going through the darkest of depressions.

Gaming was a big reason how I got through it all. For me it was Oblivion, people hate on Bethesda all the time but for me they're heroes, they're doing escapism like nobody else and that's what helped me. Role-playing, making progress, getting the positive feedback from clearing quests, it got me back on my feet.

My personal recommendation for self help is RPGs. While TLOUp2 will surely be an awesome AAA game you're kinda stuck with the story choices Naughty Dog has chosen. For me it was important to feel that I was in control, even if that was just where to explore and choosing what quest to do next. I was super sensitive to everything that was chosen for me, and I didn't want to reach an ending.

Eventually I started opening up and could talk to friends and relatives and talking is what saved me in the end.

To me it seemed like people don't dare to talk to someone they know are depressed. It's like they're afraid they'll make it worse or maybe they think it's contagious idk. That was the biggest hurdle for me. I wanted to talk. I had a lot to say. But nobody talked to me. And I had no strength to start a conversation or to seek out professional help. Not ideal.

So just by making this thread I'd say you're on the right track OP. And as you can see in this thread, you're not alone! Just hang in there! And remember, soon you'll have next generation to be excited about, we're only weeks away from the real nextgen showcases, wooo!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel ya, OP. I'm not interested at all in TLOU2 specifically, but I sympathize with having a game be the only thing keeping you going. Pretty much the only reason I didn't find a way to kill myself several times in the past was because I wanted closure for FF Versus XIII.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont know if in english are the right terms but go to a psychologist therapy, please. Anyone who have issues of meaning of life must see those doctors. One hour/week can save lives.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Hey OP, there is nothing pathetic about looking forward to a game. It's important to have things to look forward in the future that in the worst moments, push you to stay as centered as you can and help you not making rash decisions. Having distractions in tough periods is something normal, and wanting to escape the situation we are in is understandable.

I do tell you OP that having been there, the best you can do is talk to a professional about this. If you, for whatever reason, cannot reach to a professional and pay for a therapy session, there are hotlines of good samaritans who can also help you let it out and see things from different perspectives. I am sure you are already trying, and therapy, because mental health hasn't been normalized, isn't the cheapest option, but there are free hotlines and chats online that can at least help you feel better.

I am glad that you have a game that you are excited about, and I hope you can enjoy the game from Day 1!! And I hope that after it releases, you find another thing that keeps you going. Always look for the silver lining, if you can! Stay healthy.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After more than a decade of illness (both physical and mental) I can totally relate to this. The only thing I look forward to every year are new video game releases. Not sure where I'd be without them.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Hey OP, not gonna read through all of the replies because the people replying...man. But, if you are seeing this, I'm happy that something at least is helping you through these times.

A lot of people are gonna snark on you because they believe TLOU is "nihilistic" and depressing but when I played through the first game what I found was a cynically optimistic game that was eager to hope for a better future.

Anyway, hope the replies don't get you down! Hope you continue to do well and eventually enjoy TLOU2!

ps. The way commenters have been treating OP is absolutely awful and I wish mods would step in.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It's not pathetic at all, OP. I know the feeling.
Before my bipolar disorder was diagnosed and I got working meds just a couple years ago, my life was a massive mess. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety disorder, Aspergers, ADHD and OCD, and then it turns out it is not even a "normal" depression. The other diagnoses stand and it's still a mess, just a little more of a stable mess.

But games keep me going! A group of people from the 52 games thread have started a game club which is working wonders. Right now were playing FF IX for example and getting a "reason" to replay that game is amazing. I also just bought Monster Hunter: World for PC and I'm very much looking forward to playing it again. I put about 150 hours into it at release on PS4. And then when it's over I will have the all new (to me) expansion too! Speaking of expansions, the next one for Sims is looking like the best one yet!

There is a difference tho and it is that I tend to keep myself afloat with the help of old games. Replays, expansions and updates rather than something new. I was looking forward to Animal Crossing but as usual I kept the hype firmly in check in case it would end up not being what I needed (it was even better, thankfully!). But I'm worried you only have this one game and I'm scared for what will happen if you don't end up liking it as much as you hope. Do you have something to fall back to in case that happens? You need a safety net and I really hope you have it!

Keep safe <3

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I understand where you are coming from OP, my other half main passion is showing dogs, and all of the dogs shows are cancelled for the rest of the year. She is coping at the moment as she is off work. unless you are type of person who loves and are obsessed by the job they do it's going to effect a lot of people, Luckily I still have gaming, as it's effected my other passions of watching live bands and sport.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Alright, wow! I don't know what to say. Honestly, I made this thread because I thought game devs would like to know how important their work can be. But right now I am blown away by your kindness. I saw many comments saying this thread is full of negative and judgmental posts, and I am grateful for your concern, and you might be right, but I didn't see it that way. In my eyes, this thread is filled with empathy, only in different ways. I appreciate every single one of you.

Now, last night I wasn't feeling good at all, that's why I wasn't able to answer your kindness earlier. And now I feel better, so bear with my bad english, and let me have a few words with you wonderful creatures.

Lots of you guys saying I should talk to a therapist, and you're right, and I know that. So why I haven't done that already? Well, first of all, it's hard to express my thoughts to anyone. It's a combination of existential crisis, self-hatred, and fears. Lots of stupid fears. And then, I don't trust them. Most of them just want to milk you and say everything will be alright and give you tons of medicine. But, I guess I have to give it a chance. So thanks to anyone who recommended that. I appreciate your concern.

To "you need to find better/deeper ways to enjoy life. If a game is your only reason, you need help and it's sad" comments. I know your intention is helping, but that's not the best way in my opinion. I didn't get offended or sad or something because of your comments, but there's a chance that someday somebody gets hurt by this words. Look, I know it's not good for a 23 year old human being to be excited about living just for a game. I know I need help and I need more/better reasons. But this is just the way it is sometimes. I have to live with it for now and it sucks and reminding it may have a huge effect on someone else. I appreciate your help, but please, put yourself in people's shoes first if you want to help them, if you actually want to help them.

To "But isn't TLoU a depressing game? I don't think it'll cheer you up" comments. This was the most surprising aspect of this thread to me. It was sort of a reminder. Isn't it wonderful how the same piece of art can have so many different effects on us? Like, I get many people don't want to struggle with something depressing when they already have to struggle with their own problems, but it's the opposite for many of us. I need to share my pain with a painful art to feel better. It can be music, movies, tv shows, or games. It's insane how something can lead us in a totally different ways.

Someone said you should play Nintendo games. YOU ARE RIGHT MY FRIEND. You are painfully right. I want to play those joyful games so bad. But I guess you can't have everything you want.

I saw many great humans here. People who care about the others. People who write about their own struggle and problems. And please, I'd be more than happy if this thread would be a place just for sharing our problems. Just opening up for whatever reason. I appreciate that as well. I know how tough it is. Thanks for sharing. And I can't believe people sent me DMs and asking me if I want to talk with them and I haven't responded to them yet. You have no Idea how mind blowing and beautiful was that to me.

Alright, lets have it done. You guys are great. Seriously. Please keep being kind. Empathy is one of the better features of us human beings. Please keep being yourself. There are people around the word that need your empathy. Knowing that there's people like you, makes me feel a little bit better about this terrifying world.

And then? And then we'll be okay.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In life we need things to look forward to, to keep us going. For you it's TLOU2 right now and for others it might be the same or something else.

We don't have long to wait now 😁

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure it took some courage to post this and it's great that you feel so passionate about the game, nothing wrong with that! But maybe when you've played and enjoyed it you should look into addressing the issues in your life, I know it's easier said than done but believe me I've been there and know how you're feeling.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Never bound you happiness to everything other than yourself. Game passes, people passes, games disappoints, people disappoints. I sincerely hope you will feel better, I really mean it, because I'm in a tough moment myself.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Sucks man. Glad you at least feel open enough to share your thoughts in a public forum like this. I know that in the past when I have struggled with thoughts of hopelessness, I would always lock down and turn inward. If TLOU is something you are really looking forward to, then by all means allow yourself to hold on to that good feeling. I'm hoping the tide will turn for you any day now and you will begin to see some light shine through.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
It probably should be balanced with other things but it's not pathetic to live to have amazing stuff like video games. Video games are incredible achievements of art and effort. If you live just to see a new game or movie you might find more things to live for along the way but a video game is as good as any reason to live because guess what mother fucker you won't be able to enjoy games when your dead so might as well enjoy what you enjoy now.

Alot of people have an "ideal" up your own ass vision of what living is but the only thing that matters is if you are enjoying the ride baby.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to games and other things can be a constant motivator. Maybe you can check out older games which you've never played before? You never know what you might stumble upon. My wishlist of games is mainly comprised of titles which I never got around to playing. I started playing my first Castlevania game recently and it's been a nice distraction, I never imagined I'd get into such an old game.

I'm also reading novels on my kindle, I've always found that to be the best form of escapism. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's an infinite amount of digital content waiting to be discovered OP. And some of it might make you feel the way Last of Us has, whether its a piece of music, a book, or a movie, but you don't know that yet. If something makes you happy, its just as important as anything else in your life, and there's nothing wrong with that. Stay strong, man.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Try talking with someone etc because it's not healthy I had video game addiction before and had nothing in life other than gaming but after I got a full time job my life changed for the better.

We're completely opposites, my life completely stopped when I got a full time job. It's just 8 - 5 Monday - Friday then being too tired to do anything in my free time other than gaming that has got me into this suicidal hole. Glad you've been able to find meaning in all this.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
this was me with KH3 basically, so I feel yeah OP.

Honestly, anything that feels like a glimmer of light in your future is a good thing. whatever gets you feeling better, and excited and not sink deeper into despair is a wonderful thing be it a videogame or otherwise.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
We're completely opposites, my life completely stopped when I got a full time job. It's just 8 - 5 Monday - Friday then being too tired to do anything in my free time other than gaming that has got me into this suicidal hole. Glad you've been able to find meaning in all this.
Damn depends on the job I ended up changing career to one I loved.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
At one point in my teen years The Matrix sequels were the only thing in life to look forward to, and what a disappointment.

I hope op finds meaning in other things in life. I learned in young age that entertainment is just that.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Insensitive commentary in a sensitive thread
If you have good overall health you are blessed anyway. Do you have physical pain? Think of people that aren't born healthy and think of you how lucky you are to live in a functional body without pain. That reason alone should make you think positive about life.

I used to be slightly depressed from time to time, but listen, being depressed is a stupid "habit". The more you are depressed the more you are getting depressed. It sounds stupid, but it is the truth.
Be happy, there is no reason to be depressed. Pro tip: start a work out routine.

OP
OP
BoJack

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If you have good overall health you are blessed anyway. Do you have physical pain? Think of people that aren't born healthy and think of you how lucky you are to live in a functional body without pain. That reason alone should make you think positive about life.

I used to be slightly depressed from time to time, but listen, being depressed is a stupid "habit". The more you are depressed the more you are getting depressed. It sounds stupid, but it is the truth.
Be happy, there is no reason to be depressed. Pro tip: start a work out routine.
Please, don't say this kind of stuff to a depressed person. It doesn't even make sense to them. I know that because I used to say those things to them, and now I'm one of them, and I know how wrong I was back then.

But hey, thanks for your help.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Mental health problems are bad just like physical problems, I thought most people understand that already.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
If you're depressed and you still have something to look forward to with excitement in your life even if it's just a game you have to think that it's a positive sign that within yourself you still value having passions and hobbies in your life. So for now it might be enough, don't punish yourself for what you feel, give yourself time and with the proper help and support from professionals you'll see that you will slowly find more important reasons to be alive as it should be.

zarathusta

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Insensitive Commentary in a Sensitive Thread
Please, don't say this kind of stuff to a depressed person. It doesn't even make sense to them. I know that because I used to say those things to them, and now I'm one of them, and I know how wrong I was back then.

But hey, thanks for your help.
It really seems like you dig for sympathy now