• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Sometimes life is a downer and it's the small things that keeps you going until it turns around, because it will. A game can be just that thing.. I hope you enjoy the game when it arrives =)
you just said it better than i tried to :)

i kept going because i wanted to play a certain game. anyone dismissing OP because all they are excited about is a game really need to take a look at themselves.

edit: prime example see the post right above this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Of course everyone depressed should seek help, but there's no "happiness pill" you know... we still need something to be excited about everyday, even in treatment.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There are some not good repsonses in here. If someone has something at all that keeps them going, it doesn't matter what. Games, movies, sports, comic, etc. Actual depression also needs to have extra help go into it, but having things to be happy about is a part of it.

Last edited:

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Hello human, I'm another human. I want you to know that although I don't know you I think you're probably a good person. If you really truly are depressed you should look into getting a pet like a friendly adult cat. They are low maintenance and just require food, attention, exercise, and litter box changes. If not a cat look up some articles and videos on pets and try to find something to take care of. It will make you feel much better and can sometimes be the difference between hurting yourself, giving up, or finding some happiness. You should also seek some therapy if you can or if you have a good friend ask if you can talk to them for an hour or so each week. Seek some professional help as soon as you can.

For real. Games are amazing escapism and hobbies but you have got to find happiness from multiple sources. Sometimes we need some help finding those other sources. I always have and asking for help is the first step. I hope this thread is you asking for help. If not then I'll kindly fuck off and mind my own business.

Regardless. Im pumped for TLOU also! I've already requested off of work :)

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I think in a way all of us live in wait for the next think that will make us feel good, no matter what that is.

As long as you always find new stuff to care for, be it a game, a music band you just got into, a friend, family, love, it doesn't matter. Things as are important as you make them.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Probably not the best game to be playing if this is your current mind state.

try to find something that will get you out of a funk first. Maybe something fun and uplifting. Going to a dark game with a dark mind. Idk doesn't seem smart.

I'm making this judgement based off all the beats of the first game.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
BoJack I think it is completely reasonable to feel depressed, scared, and tired considering the circumstances. I've dealt with depression and suicidal impulses most of my life and the situation of current events has made me feel much worse.

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for silver linings, even if it is just a video game. The point is to keep trying your best and to keep looking for things to experience and enjoy.

I know right now I feel pretty hopeless. But I am really looking forward to a few games and the PS5 reveal. So this makes the hopelessness a lot more bearable.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It sounds alarming OP, I get that you need something to pick you up during a rough time, but I bet you are excited for next gen and future Naughty Dog games too. Things will get better so hang in there!

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I feel you, OP. I was diagnosed with MS in september 2018 with some really frightening symptoms at the time that had been occuring for the last 3 months before that. When Spider-Man came out, a game that I was really, really anticipating at a time where my mind needed to go elsewhere real bad, I couldn't even properly use my hands, so that was very hard mentally, even moreso than physically.
Red Dead 2 was around the corner the month after that too and same as with Spider-Man or even more, it was another game I was anticipating a lot. Thank god my symptoms were dissipating enough for me to really enjoy the game. It was something that I really needed at the time to escape reality in some fashion or another.

However small they seem to others, it's okay to look into the future for things to grab onto to get through the day. Don't let condescending fools get to ya.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you have something, I'm really excited for the game too. In a rougher time of my life playing Thomas was alone helped to keep me sane. Here's to you finding more.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1-800-273-8255.

Should've been the first thing posted. Call, OP. People are willing to listen and help.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
Same OP. A lot of us are with you. Gaming will probably peak for me after I play that game and I'll probably quit gaming shortly after.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread.
I know, I know. This is pathetic and sad, but it's the truth. Right now, I'm tired of everything. Tired and scared. And I just wanted to made a thread to tell game developers - if they read this - that there are people like me around the world that need your art sometimes. Sometimes it's not just a game to us. Sometimes it's a reason to be excited and keep living.

And to Naughty Dog, if any of these lovely bastards are reading this, we know things have been tough for you. We know you've suffered a lot and it sucks to be smashed by all these negativities that you've been receiving recently, and I just want you to know, we appreciate your hardwork and your honesty. I am happy to be alive, to have a chance to play Part II, and I can't wait for that moment when I can select "New Game".

Thanks for everything,

BoJack.

it is not that big deal...TLOU 1 is better..

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread
So what happens when you beat it?

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
If you do not already have a therapist, please seek one out. If you do not have the resources to pay for one, look for assistance or look for support groups.

I'm sorry to hear that your only reason to carry on living is a game, my heart goes out to you. I hope you seek the help that you need and can start to live a more fulfilling life.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I would suggest getting help. Only looking forward to the sequel of one of the most miserable games of all time and I don't think this one is going to be any better in that respect - that's one hell of a cry for help. I hope you can get it.

Oct 27, 2017
we're here for you OP. thank you for opening up about this.

really dislike the insensitive "ummm, you need help" / "a game can't be a reason" posts. c'mon, resetera.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Remember as cliche it is, this too will pass.

Think about all situations in your life, the ups and downs, the good and bad. Think about how you felt during those times and how looking back with a new perspective, they were not that bad and you question why you felt that way to begin with.

This is one of those moments, yeah your in a tough spot and thats ok ! We cant fake and pretend everything is good all the time on our journey of life. This is just a shitty time. Realize it, accept it and work through it. Dont focus on being happy or thinking tomorrow everything will change. Its a slow and gradual process so don't be discouraged. You got this !

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's certainly my personal upcoming highlight as well. But it shouldn't be your ONLY thing to be excited for OP. But at least you have something to look forward. I hope you enjoy it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP. I really feel ya on this and it's okay to have something to hold on to. Games have always been there for me and it's gotten me through so, so many dark times. I know things aren't great right now, but it will be okay in the end. Above the game itself, do try to speak to someone about what you're going through, and always try to reach out to people when you're feeling like it may be too much.

Strength and love, OP <3

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of negative responses here. But I feel you OP. We all have things that keep us motivated and holding on. And I'm right there with ya, certain movies, games, shows, etc, keep me going as well. I can honestly say videogames saved not just my mental health but my life as well.

You're not alone. And hope you keep finding things you enjoy and love in life.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread; prior related bans.
Wait till you read the leaks lol

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is not that big deal...TLOU 1 is better..
If you are talking about leaks, which you shouldn't in my opinion, judging the whole game based of a few random cutscenes is really, really fucking dumb.
Storytelling is going to be amazing.

OP, glad you're sharing the love of video games here. It is unfortunate to see so many commenting idiotic stuff.
I look forward for TLOU2 and ND's PS5 game, as their games seem to only get better. Really got to command them for that.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
You are right sorry.
Nice of you to say.

It's really hard to relate to feelings like in the OP if you've never been there yourself. Judging from your reaction, I'm sure you'll already be more openminded next time.

To many of you ITT:

Saying you hope OP has a more fulfilling life someday or some shit, while probably well-intentioned, is NOT HELPFUL OR UNDERSTANDING.

Having something to look forward to, however small, when you're feeling down, is The Best Thing. That's a good-ass day, or week, or month. No matter how outwardly fulfilling your life appears to be: if you feel depressed, the worst days feel like there is nothing at all to look forward to, and nothing will bring joy again.

So having even the slightest excitement over anything in times like those, is goddamn awesome. It has absolutely jack shit to do with how objectively fulfilling your life is.

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bojack whilst I haven't felt how you have felt before, my partner suffers from anxiety and depression and I completely get it. Art is beautiful and effects us in more ways than people would like to admit, for some it's keeping us here. Music is another medium that helps people, I'm glad you've got this for you, and it's not silly at all.

Some of the posts in this thread are shocking, re-evaluate yourselves.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that kind of struggle OP, I'm thankful I have a loving partner to ride out this stressful time together with, but even then times are still tough. There's been plenty of days already where I've felt aimless due to the lockdown my state is under and that sort of aimlessness with nothing to engross you can certainly snowball into depression in a hurry. There's certainly an appeal to getting a brand new AAA game with the level of polish something like TLOU2 has, something to distract you for several days or more for the escape. Believe me I'm pining for its release too, but have forced myself to play other things too, but I get it sometimes you get mono focused on one thing you're anticipating and nothing else will do until it comes out. I had this bad for GOW 2018 for like months on end, that wait was brutal. Just think we're over the hump, less than a month left! In the mean time try to absorb yourself in something else be it a TV show with multiple seasons, a good long book, or a podcast you've never heard before. I've been doing the latter while playing Snowrunner (quite the relaxing title) and its helped a lot.

If you aren't already and are physically able try to get some regular exercise too, that can help improve mood a good deal. Obviously gyms are out for most right now, but something as simple as situps and pushups at home, with some yoga thrown in can do wonders for your mental state and energy levels. I hope you start feeling better soon OP :)

GameBytes

Jan 22, 2019
I feel you OP. Uncharted 2 was the game that cheered me up when I was at one of my lowest points in life. I don't know what would have happened to me if I hadn't played that game - I had stopped playing video games back then and my PS3 Slim was almost brand new just sitting there, eating dust. When I am down, I look back at that time and I am grateful for everything

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It takes courage to say one is not feeling well.

I don't know your situation, but it might help to think of this:

- Don't let society define happiness for you. You don't have to do things their way to be happy.

- Remember everyone acts out to fit in -- but what everyone really wants is to just be accepted for who they are.

- We all have our own emotional makeup, rhythms, etc. This is what makes you special. We like people for their qualities; we love them for their flaws.

- Maybe you feel like people don't understand you. But ultimately, they really would appreciate you for you.

- The quickest way to endear yourself to anyone is to just show a genuine interest in things that make them happy.

- Each day is a new day. You can do whatever you want. But don't whip yourself. Ease yourself in.

- And lastly, if someone on the internet is bringing you down, tune them out. They're bad-faith actors behind a veil of anonymity. Chances are they have plenty of their own struggles and they're taking it out on others.

I dunno if any of this helps. But it is sincere.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...the delivery is terse but the sentiment holds true.

OP sounds like they need some kind of intervention, either through self-help or the aid of others.
"getting help" is always of course a good thing, but the responses in this thread are part of why people (like myself) sometimes don't open up about how they're truly feeling, because they're worried of being immediately bombarded with one liners about how they're doing their self a disservice or approaching the situation wrong. everyone here should be compassionate and understanding, not condescending.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Hey OP, good on you for reaching out. It's also nice for many of us other gamers out here to remember that there are people in our community who are in tough places or states of mind.

I'm glad you've found something so awesome it's making you excited to be alive. What about the Last of Us II excites you the most? Maybe we could suggest other things you may also think are cool.

I believe the Last of Us was originally inspired by the book The Road by Cormack Mcarthy

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I know, I know. This is pathetic and sad, but it's the truth. Right now, I'm tired of everything. Tired and scared. And I just wanted to made a thread to tell game developers - if they read this - that there are people like me around the world that need your art sometimes. Sometimes it's not just a game to us. Sometimes it's a reason to be excited and keep living.

And to Naughty Dog, if any of these lovely bastards are reading this, we know things have been tough for you. We know you've suffered a lot and it sucks to be smashed by all these negativities that you've been receiving recently, and I just want you to know, we appreciate your hardwork and your honesty. I am happy to be alive, to have a chance to play Part II, and I can't wait for that moment when I can select "New Game".

Thanks for everything,

BoJack.

I want you to play some Nintendo games

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there have to be some really insensitive and unnecessary comments. Some people...
It is good that OP has something he cares about, doesn't matter what is or if you think it is unworthy if it brings him joy. Video games are art and art had for millenia a positive and profound effect on those who know to appreciate it. :)

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018

Thanks for everything,

BoJack.
Theres a lot more in the world to look forward too than a bleak and depressing videogame. Trust me, things get better.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
It takes courage to say one is not feeling well.

I don't know your situation, but it might help to think of this:

- Don't let society define happiness for you. You don't have to do things their way to be happy.

- Remember everyone acts out to fit in -- but what everyone really wants is to just be accepted for who they are.

- We all have our own emotional makeup, rhythms, etc. This is what makes you special. We like people for their qualities; we love them for their flaws.

- Maybe you feel like people don't understand you. But ultimately, they really would appreciate you for you.

- The quickest way to endear yourself to anyone is to just show a genuine interest in things that make them happy.

- Each day is a new day. You can do whatever you want. But don't whip yourself. Ease yourself in.

- And lastly, if someone on the internet is bringing you down, tune them out. They're bad-faith actors behind a veil of anonymity. Chances are they have plenty of their own struggles and they're taking it out on others.

I dunno if any of this helps. But it is sincere.
Was just now trying to convey something similar with about a tenth of your clarity.

It makes me happy to know you think this way, Neiteio, and I'll gladly admit your post made me cry a little. I've come a long way in the past year, and much of what you just said have been lessons I've had to learn the hard way. Which is a long-winded way to reiterate that it rings very, very true.