• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I think the biggest news here is that this more or less means paid remasters of last-gen games aren't going to be happening any longer
I don't think there's any reason to believe Sony will not do paid remasters. This is just an enhanced BC patch, not a new PS5 version of the game. All of Sony's enhanced BC patches have been free so far, so this isn't any different. While we don't really know what, how, of if they'll put out native PS5 versions of prior games, and if they do will they monetize them.
How exactly is Sony putting out a patch for a 60 FPS target for TLOU2 with no other resolution bumps or any other visual changes a "Megaton?"

It is the bare minimum of what we should expect with the newer consoles. They literally just allowed the framerate to go higher.
Don't get me wrong, this is a great addition. But heaping all this praise for ND for doing is just weird.
I think it's great ND and Playstation put out this patch (and for free), but you're right it is just an enhanced BC patch and it only really affects the framerate with some loading improvements. I think there's still an opportunity for ND to release a native PS5 version of the game, given how recent it is, and that's something I'd like to see.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised it took them this long when it's just a patch, thought for sure it'd be a full remaster.
I almost cynically believe Sony/ND were prepping up a proper PS5 release and saving features such as this one but maybe in the end just said fuck it and moved on from TLOU2 lol.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Just wait till Arrogant Sony and Radical Jim package out a definitive edition next year featuring RTX and Dual Sense implementation for 70 bucks!

Druckmannn cant keep getting away with it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love all the holier-than-thou attitudes towards people thinking it wouldn't be free, seeing as we had the literal example of TLoU Remastered.

Of course skepticism was understandable

People are jumping the gun thinking a remaster is out of the question. Until Factions gets revealed, let's wait. But some people just want to get their snide remarks in. It's a nice patch to unlock the frame rate (honestly what I really cared about) but let's not act like it has the bells and whistles that usually comes with all these enhanced editions.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ok now that we got the riffraff out of the way let's focus on more important things

DhOCaPo.jpg

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
No bump in resolution from ps4 pro is kinda dissapointing, but the shorter loading times and doubled framerate is more than enough for me.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
With this patch TLOU 2 should be the most impressive game on any console including the next gen already released games.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How exactly is Sony putting out a patch for a 60 FPS target for TLOU2 with no other resolution bumps or any other visual changes a "Megaton?"

It is the bare minimum of what we should expect with the newer consoles. They literally just allowed the framerate to go higher.
Don't get me wrong, this is a great addition. But heaping all this praise for ND for doing is just weird.
One of the greatest games of all time will now be playable at 60fps. People are understandably excited. Some people also waited for this to happen before playing it for the first time. No one is praising ND so much as they are simply stating their excitement to play a legendary game with a major frame rate enhancement.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Holy shit. I've been purposely holding off playing it for the PS5 version. Looks like I'm buying this one this weekend!

Now...next week Bloodborne patch stealth drop....!?

Just kidding.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I still think we'll get a "Remastered" native PS5 version alongside the eventual TLOU1 PS5 remake. Those two in a package for $70 with first-party standard level of quality to take advantage of all of the PS5's features is something I can get behind, especially now that the "we just wanted 60 fps" crowd gets their free upgrade.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Lets goooo!!!
The wording in the blog post has me feel yet another patch or something else is coming….. might hold off even more for my second playthrough

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
What's amazing is how good this game played at 30. I can only imagine what it's going to feel like at 60fps.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
So what should we do now to have the progress carried over too? Download PS4 version first or what exactly?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I almost cynically believe Sony/ND were prepping up a proper PS5 release and saving features such as this one but maybe in the end just said fuck it and moved on from TLOU2 lol.

reminder that according to Jason, ND wasn't making TLOU1 Remake but the game landed on them so they must have canned a proper TLOU2 PS5 Remaster so they could finish TLOU1r.

unless Jason talks more, we will never know haha.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
So it's 4k60 patch and not a native PS5 port yea? good enough, probably still looks better than many next gen games :p

Anyway nice, would be handy once I can get my hand on a PS5 sometime in the next year or two lol

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm reading the blogpost I might even wait for more enhancements. Dualsense, SSD and 3D audio support with 60fps would be the perfect experience

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Slider, you lazy bum... Time to finish TLOU1. TLOU2 is in my library but I've never even started it. Shame on me.

SPIN!

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Hate that Sony continue to be lazy with patches to their PS4 games instead of native PS5 ports. Even if they don't do visual enhancements even though some minor enhancements wouldn't take much either at the least they could be taking full advantage of the SSD and Dualsense. Patches to PS4 games are too limited.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Legit shocked they're doing a free update. If they gave #spidermanps4 the remaster and "fuck you, gimme money" treatment, I definitely would have thought they'd do the same for TLoU2.

I prefer this though. Got a third of the way through a replay before thinking I should wait and now I can continue.
this is just fps patch, Spider-Man remaster have a lot more stuff going on that I think it's fair to ask for payment.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
To be fair, this isn't the PS5 version with factions... they said they are working on that. We still don't know if they'll charge for it.
Yeah I could see that. I wonder if they could find a way to charge for a full remaster after this? I think they'll also patch Lost Legacy and Uncharted 4 at some point.