• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It might be unorthodox, but I definitely wouldn't say it is unprofessional.
I get it, you have a big following on youtube or social media, or are a game outlet.. Of course you need time early to get the review in and edited and posted. But do that many people need to play it, .. it goes from a "need to know" basis to just giving folks a copy early because of connections. When I watch some of my favorite podcasts for example tomorrow or the rest of the week, I don't need all of them giving signs that they are all playing it, or giving slight hints. This is all moot either way. So it is whatever. It is what it is.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
He made a podcast a decade ago.
I get it, you have a big following on youtube or social media, or are a game outlet.. Of course you need time early to get the review in and edited and posted. But do that many people need to play it, .. it goes from a "need to know" basis to just giving folks a copy early because of connections. When I watch some of my favorite podcasts for example tomorrow or the rest of the week, I don't need all of them giving signs that they are all playing it, or giving slight hints. This is all moot either way. So it is whatever. It is what it is.
I guess I just disagree. On podcasts, for instance, I find conversations much more engaging if the podcasters can all speak to their personal experience with the game once the embargo is up.

It's a calculated risk for sure. But the cat is out of the bag as far as spoilers. So there actually might be less downside than normal.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

How many people have this game that are not reviewing it? Is it just everyone at every game outlet can get a code if they want and then the rest of the folks are left to wait 3 more weeks? I thought it was proper practice to only give a review code for 1 person doing the review, and whoever edits that review can see content. I can only assume now that all of Kinda Funny Games is playing the game and not just Greg.,, more folks at IGN, and other outlets, other youtubers. This is how more leaks happen but oh well. Maybe It is just me that thinks it is not professional.

Seems like plenty of outlets are getting it and Sony ain't being stingy. Here in Peru I already know of at least 3 people who have gotten their codes for review and 2 of them aren't event big time outlets or anything like that.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Sorry for the shameless self promotion. Direct screenshot.

I've stayed spoiler free until now.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can a game with mediocre gameplay but a good storyline still get a 10/10?

Not that im saying the game will have mediocre gameplay, just curious if most of the "impressions" we are getting are from people having enjoyed the story or having enjoyed the game game......and of course it could be both too.

If Sony have something beyond this level of hype for launch imma shit a brick.
Yeah, this game will be the event of the generation.

Possibly the biggest video game release in a long time.

Hmmm.
Modern Warfare wasnt that long ago.
BOTW counts as this generation.
Cyberpunk is later this year.

But enough negative nancying.

The "Press any button" screen alone got me hype as fuck.
The same level of ohh man I cant wait I got from this screen:
maxresdefault.jpg

Sep 21, 2019
Man that should be a poster for a new Jaws movie, only with a big shark bite on the side of the boat, or a small wake in the water going by.

In all seriousness, they must be super confident to give the game out this early and have the embargo lift a week early.

Lots of people going to be eating crow and salty tears by the greatness that is Naughty Dog.

Seeing the 94+ Metacritic and most reviewers calling this the game of the generation will be SO fuckinf satisfying to all the haters who judged the game based on 25 minutes of cutscenes.

We aren't fucking ready.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Can a game with mediocre gameplay but a good storyline still get a 10/10?

Not that im saying the game will have mediocre gameplay, just curious if most of the "impressions" we are getting are from people having enjoyed the story or having enjoyed the game game......and of course it could be both too.

If Sony have something beyond this level of hype for launch imma shit a brick.
We won't know this with this game, as the first title had superb gameplay and a really good story. Since this game is even improving upon that gameplay by adding more mechanics and giving you more options, the mediocre gameplay won't be there. We'll have to wait.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
We won't know this with this game, as the first title had superb gameplay and a really good story. Since this game is even improving upon that gameplay by adding more mechanics and giving you more options, the mediocre gameplay won't be there. We'll have to wait.

Superb gameplay? Lol, not sure about that but the story was phenomenal, But yea dont be fooled this game will be getting 10/10s across the board by the mainstream media, if not before all the drama, definitely now.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Superb gameplay? Lol, not sure about that but the story was phenomenal, But yea dont be fooled this game will be getting 10/10s across the board by the mainstream media, if not before all the drama, definitely now.
I've played through it about 10 times between PS3 and PS4, the story I can only experience fresh once, but the gameplay was what kept me hooked from encounter to encounter every single time I replayed the game. It doesn't need to play like Vanquish to have great gameplay, it works as intended and it'll be even better with Part 2 giving us more options and actions during encounters.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Lots of people going to be eating crow and salty tears by the greatness that is Naughty Dog.
Seeing the 94+ Metacritic and most reviewers calling this the game of the generation will be SO fuckinf satisfying to all the haters who judged the game based on 25 minutes of cutscenes.

Seeing posts like this always reminds me of this:

d737bd76a59cdb82b80fe0c0dbbc5bad.jpg

...also it's a little bit ironic to declare something "Game of the Generation" whilst simultaneously decrying people "judging the game based on 25 minutes of cutscenes." lol

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Why would the drama lead to higher scores? The lamestream media at it again?

Well there is a certain group of people who were really beating the drums against this game (I'm sure you know the types) not all obviously but yea, so naturally to combat this, you'll probably see alot of over praising from mainstream media to compensate, something similar happened with Captain Marvel, you had those incels trying to drag the movie, so the mainstream media began over rating it, the truth was CM wasnt an amazing movie, but it also wasnt a bad movie (imo), the truth fell some where in between, unfortunately tlou2 is facing a similar type of dynamic right now. I for one cant wait to try it for myself to give it a proper review

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well there is a certain group of people who were really beating the drums against this game (I'm sure you know the types) not all obviously but yea, so naturally to combat this, you'll probably see alot of over praising from mainstream media to compensate, something similar happened with Captain Marvel, you had those incels trying to drag the movie, so the mainstream media began over rating it, the truth was CM wasnt an amazing movie, but it also wasnt a bad movie (imo), the truth fell some where in between, unfortunately tlou2 is facing a similar type of dynamic right now. I for one cant wait to try it for myself to give it a proper review

What evidence do you have to suggest Captain Marvel was overrated by critics for these ulterior reasons? Sounds like conspiracy theory to me. You could just as well argue capital G gamers or bigots at certain gaming outlets would review the game worse. I doubt any of this stuff will have much of an effect on the reception at all.

On Captain Marvel, it's 78% fresh on RT with a critic score of 6.8/10. I think that's pretty fair.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

Lol we're already making excuses for the high scores.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Seeing posts like this always reminds me of this:

d737bd76a59cdb82b80fe0c0dbbc5bad.jpg

...also it's a little bit ironic to declare something "Game of the Generation" whilst simultaneously decrying people "judging the game based on 25 minutes of cutscenes." lol

Have you seen the internet in the past month or so? So many people shitting on this game from the leaks, and not one of them at least waiting until the game is actually released and play it to make a judgement for themselves.

Thats why I truly hope this game smashes everything.

Sep 14, 2018
I just don't agree with pre-dismissing good reviews weeks before release as if they're already tainted by ulterior motives. Maybe reviewers will say what they really think about the game.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How did people over praise Captain Marvel when it sits at 8/10 on RT?

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, that doesn't check out.

Captain Marvel landed at a 78% which doesn't strike me as "over rating" a title that was very well enjoyed by the general movie going audience.

Don't mistake your opinion for the larger audience opinion.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

A proper review, yes master teach us.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Have you seen the internet in the past month or so? So many people shitting on this game from the leaks, and not one of them at least waiting until the game is actually released and play it to make a judgement for themselves.

Thats why I truly hope this game smashes everything.

Frankly I don't think you "hope" the game smashes everything, you're assuming it will do and are pre-emptively 'serving crow' to others for some reason. I can't see any scenario where you'd be able to view this game without that clouding your judgement.

Personally I just don't get it. Yes, a lot of the backlash this game has been getting is incredibly toxic even from those people who don't have a blindingly obvious agenda, but why the hell would people want to try and deflect that with toxicity of a different type? It just makes it so much harder to weed those legitimately toxic voices out because it muddies the waters by painting anyone who doesn't like the game, no matter the reason, as being part of that crowd. It makes the entire conversation into an "Us vs. Them" battle before it's even had a chance to begin proper.

That's despite 'that crowd' being the type of people to completely ignore things such as 'critical acclaim' and 'sales', things commongly stated as being supposedly 'devestating' to them. I mean The Last Jedi garnered massive critical acclaim and was highly successful commercially and that did jack and shit to combat people who saw Rose and had a 'heated Star Wars fan' moment. For many this game was deemed 'SJW garbage' the instante they saw a Lesbian kiss that wasn't fetishised for them; glowing reviews from reviewers they already see as SJWs and/or filthy casuals ain't exactly going to do anything to effect them in the way you want it to.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto

How many people have this game that are not reviewing it? Is it just everyone at every game outlet can get a code if they want and then the rest of the folks are left to wait 3 more weeks? I thought it was proper practice to only give a review code for 1 person doing the review, and whoever edits that review can see content. I can only assume now that all of Kinda Funny Games is playing the game and not just Greg.,, more folks at IGN, and other outlets, other youtubers. This is how more leaks happen but oh well. Maybe It is just me that thinks it is not professional.

He is likely capturing video for reviews, this is not how leaks happen because everyone playing it right now are bound by NDA. This post comes off bitter to me, FYI.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
What's the reference?
Its from the film Amadeus, the man in the gif is Antonio Salieri, long time rival of Mozart. The film is a fictional story based on the rumors that Salieri "murdered" Mozart out of jealousy for his godly musical talent. Ironically, Salieri's work was just as good but he was the only one who saw it as trash and was always trying to one up Mozart. This is just Cory taking a jab at the narrative that he may have "borrowed" a bit too much from TLOU and used in God of War and now once again Druckmann/ND may have outdone themselves again much like Mozart did XD

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
What's the reference?
Its from the film Amadeus, the man in the gif is Antonio Salieri, long time rival of Mozart. The film is a fictional story based on the rumors that Salieri "murdered" Mozart out of jealousy for his godly musical talent. Ironically, Salieri's work was just as good but he was the only who saw it as trash and was always trying one up Mozart. This is just Cory taking a jab at the narrative that he may have "borrowed" a bit too much from TLOU and used in God of War and now once again Druckmann/ND may have outdone themselves again much like Mozart did XD
Yep. The scene in question.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
How did people over praise Captain Marvel when it sits at 8/10 on RT?

Did you see the initial reviews for it ? I remember the drama si
Lol we're already making excuses for the high scores.

Sigh here we go, no excuses need to be made this game was getting high scores no matter how you slice it, it was just a observation around the current climate of the game, CM was sitting in the 90s initially or very close to to it getting mostly praised by the MAINSTREAM media, anyone who was paying attention to the drama around the release of that movie can vouch for this, once a few weeks passed the reviews started to come in an the score settled, but the initial reviews were really really high.

twitter.com

Rotten Tomatoes on Twitter

“The first reviews are in for #CaptainMarvel - currently it's #Fresh at 88% on the #Tomatometer, with 57 reviews: https://t.co/zmc8lhmMw8 https://t.co/XQ2ak4qems”

You guys are trying to make it seem like I'm attacking the game, was just making a observation, I already said I'm picking up the game an will judge it fairly once I beat it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Frankly I don't think you "hope" the game smashes everything, you're assuming it will do and are pre-emptively 'serving crow' to others for some reason. I can't see any scenario where you'd be able to view this game without that clouding your judgement.

Personally I just don't get it. Yes, a lot of the backlash this game has been getting is incredibly toxic even from those people who don't have a blindingly obvious agenda, but why the hell would people want to try and deflect that with toxicity of a different type? It just makes it so much harder to weed those legitimately toxic voices out because it muddies the waters by painting anyone who doesn't like the game, no matter the reason, as being part of that crowd. It makes the entire conversation into an "Us vs. Them" battle before it's even had a chance to begin proper.

That's despite 'that crowd' being the type of people to completely ignore things such as 'critical acclaim' and 'sales', things commongly stated as being supposedly 'devestating' to them. I mean The Last Jedi garnered massive critical acclaim and was highly successful commercially and that did jack and shit to combat people who saw Rose and had a 'heated Star Wars fan' moment. For many this game was deemed 'SJW garbage' the instante they saw a Lesbian kiss that wasn't fetishised for them; glowing reviews from reviewers they already see as SJWs and/or filthy casuals ain't exactly going to do anything to effect them in the way you want it to.

I honestly like Naughty Dog they are one of my favorite developers. I want to enjoy the second part of this story that I have played more times than I can count. I think I want this game to show all the hard work and talent that went into making this.

There is so much negativity against ND, some of it valid, like crunch. But all the other bullshit from some bunch of asshats that released a un-released build of the game just because they wanted to. I want this game to do well even if by the end I don't like or agree with how they told the story. The gameplay looks amazing and their animation is second to none.

Hard work should be talked about with positivity even if not everyone likes the overall story or whatever.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I honestly like Naughty Dog they are one of my favorite developers. I want to enjoy the second part of this story that I have played more times than I can count. I think I want this game to show all the hard work and talent that went into making this.

There is so much negativity against ND, some of it valid, like crunch. But all the other bullshit from some bunch of asshats that released a un-released build of the game just because they wanted to. I want this game to do well even if by the end I don't like or agree with how they told the story. The gameplay looks amazing and their animation is second to none.

Hard work should be talked about with positivity even if not everyone likes the overall story or whatever.

Wanting to the game to do well/be good and saying that it's going to be Game of the Generation and that anyone who dislikes it must "eat crow," are two entirely different things in my eyes. In the end that's what I'm saying here, that it's harder to talk about things 'with positivity' when the language is so polarised and hyperbolic even in otherwise 'less toxic' places like Era.

It's very hard to say you dislike any aspect of the game without getting branded as a "hater" that must "eat crow," and many who like the game seem to feel the need to heap constant hyperbolic praise onto it in defense of it so, in the end, it's much harder for balanced takes that aren't either "0/10 SHIT GARBAGE" or "10/10 GAME OF THE FOREVER NAUGHTY GODS" to stand out.

Like personally I've seen some real shit flung my way because I've dared to criticise the game's violence (that Naughty Dog themselves have shown). Those reactions won't change if my opinion stays the same after the game comes out and I've played the entire thing; people are still going to see a negative thought and see 'hater,' and even if my opinion does change they're going to see that as a 'personal win' that 'proves' any criticism about the violence is wrong. Hell, in the review thread I'm 100% willing to bet that if a reviewer criticises the game's violence to a considerable degree we're going to see a lot of people, who themselves won't have played the game, start arguing about how that reviewer is 'wrong' for thinking that way.

Last edited:

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Who?

Seriously who the hell is this and why is his opinion of any use? I'm sure sushi x's opinion is totally legit compared to reviewers today 🙄
He was a game journalist working for magazines like EGM and was on the much loved GFW Radio podcast. He also had a podcast about games with incredible production called "A Life Well Wasted". It was short-lived but the episodes Robert did are some of the best content to come from gaming podcasts.

He and the members of the GFW Radio were always criticizing the industry they were apart of. They wanted the industry to improve and become less of an extension of the marketing department's hype machine. Basically the opposite of what Kinda Funny Games is.

You could have just disagreed with his opinion but why do that when you can dismiss it entirely based on whether or not you of him.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Wanting to the game to do well/be good and saying that it's going to be Game of the Generation and that anyone who dislikes it must "eat crow," are two entirely different things in my eyes. In the end that's what I'm saying here, that it's harder to talk about things 'with positivity' when the language is so polarised and hyperbolic even in otherwise 'less toxic' places like Era.

It's very hard to say you dislike any aspect of the game without getting branded as a "hater" that must "eat crow," and many who like the game seem to feel the need to heap constant hyperbolic praise onto it in defense of it so, in the end, it's much harder for balanced takes that aren't either "0/10 SHIT GARBAGE" or "10/10 GAME OF THE FOREVER NAUGHTY GODS" to stand out.

Like personally I've seen some real shit flung my way because I've dared to criticise the game's violence (that Naughty Dog themselves have shown). Those reactions won't change if my opinion stays the same after the game comes out and I've played the entire thing; people are still going to see a negative thought and see 'hater,' and even if my opinion does change they're going to see that as a 'personal win' that 'proves' any criticism about the violence is wrong. Hell, in the review thread I'm 100% willing to bet that if a reviewer criticises the game's violence to a considerable degree we're going to see a lot of people, who themselves won't have played the game, start arguing about how that reviewer is 'wrong' for thinking that way.
Why are you gaslighting?

Let the reviewers and reviews speak for themselves. Your posts read like pre-alarmism designed to hijack the conversation into a direction that is just absurd.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Its from the film Amadeus, the man in the gif is Antonio Salieri, long time rival of Mozart. The film is a fictional story based on the rumors that Salieri "murdered" Mozart out of jealousy for his godly musical talent. Ironically, Salieri's work was just as good but he was the only one who saw it as trash and was always trying to one up Mozart. This is just Cory taking a jab at the narrative that he may have "borrowed" a bit too much from TLOU and used in God of War and now once again Druckmann/ND may have outdone themselves again much like Mozart did XD

Thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate it.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Yep. The scene in question.

Man, my Spotify playlist for WFH today just got switched over to a Wolfgang binge.

OT - I'll be avoiding the OT and review thread until at least Sunday/Monday after the game launches depending on how much I can complete once the kids are in bed as I'm definitely not playing this on the smaller 1080p TV in my den/work room/game room.