• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's why I wrote, "We're going to be over the peak within a month" and not "everything will be back to normal in a month." I say we'll be over the peak within the month because it is the case that we're currently on track to see the virus peak later this month. That's why I wrote that. So please read what you're actually responding to.

yes it will take several months for businesses and economies to start swinging back to something approaching normalcy. Even when quarantine orders, lift many public places will likely limit attendance to certain limits for a while and have people trickle back in, than return in droves all at once. Supply chains will be in varying conditions depending on how the virus tapers through different countries at different rates. But that doesn't mean society is going to be shut down as it is for the next year or so, which is what many people on this forum continue to peddle despite no evidence to that point.

It's funny that you are complaining about others pushing theories with no evidence while criticizing them for being overly cautious when you yourself have no evidence either.

In fact there is more evidence to the idea of multiple waves of infections until we get a vaccine than there is what you're advocating here. Stop being cavalier about this and acting like this isn't a seminal moment in modern history.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
If Sony really wanted to, I think they could do a digital release in June. They could get with retailers now and figure out a way to get everyone that pre-ordered a physical copy a digital code for the time being. I do realize that poses logistical issues on a global scale and a digital first release would impact those with poor internet. As for doing a digital release, they could stagger people pre-loading the game over days so as to not overwhelm the servers.

Just spitballing here, since the situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Also I realize that retailers would most probably not like people that pre-ordered getting a code and then being able to cancel their orders.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
If Sony really wanted to, I think they could do a digital release in June. They could get with retailers now and figure out a way to get everyone that pre-ordered a physical copy a digital code for the time being. I do realize that poses logistical issues on a global scale and a digital first release would impact those with poor internet. As for doing a digital release, they could stagger people pre-loading the game over days so as to not overwhelm the servers.

Just spitballing here, since the situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Also I realize that retailers would most probably not like people that pre-ordered getting a code and then being able to cancel their orders.

i don´t see this game releasing anytime soon. besides logistical nightmares, the momentarily situation and environment feels not like the right stage for a game with such a theme, it could easily backfire. but maybe thats just me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that you are complaining about others pushing theories with no evidence while criticizing them for being overly cautious when you yourself have no evidence either.

In fact there is more evidence to the idea of multiple waves of infections until we get a vaccine than there is what you're advocating here. Stop being cavalier about this and acting like this isn't a seminal moment in modern history.
I don't really think "we hit peak infections this month, as predicted by public health experts and modeling, and then a combo of curve flattening, increased testing, and potential treatment plans help lead to easing off lockdowns over a period of months as things trickle back to a sort of relative normal " is a cavalier take on the situation. I just think expectations of social distancing and a shuttered economy for at least another year are, even with how bad things are now, prematurely pessimistic rather than overly cautious...but I always reserve the right to be disappointed later!

If Sony really wanted to, I think they could do a digital release in June.
But they're not doing that, so clearly they don't want to lol

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I was talking about recommendation from people, not some google suggestion algorithm

I'm referencing both though.

Its a popular subject among people.

If Zombies were coming out from graves right now, zombies would be trending and people would be talking about it at the same time. The Walking dead would be more popular than it is now for an example lol.

Not saying its good or bad - its just happening.

Edit: And to add to what you said in the same post, I hope they dont delay it and I wouldnt be surprised if they delay it as much as I want both next gen systems to come out (the sooner the better cause I only buy game systems 2 years after they are released so delaying it would mean I would wait longer lol).

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
But they're not doing that, so clearly they don't want to lol
What they say in a PR statement and what they are considering internally are different things.
i don´t see this game releasing anytime soon. besides logistical nightmares, the momentarily situation and environment feels not like the right stage for a game with such a theme, it could easily backfire. but maybe thats just me.
Eh, I don't get this mentality but I know it can differ by region/culture. It's a sequel set in an already established post-apocalyptic world. It'd be one thing if it was the first game releasing given it's opening sequence. Also Resident Evil 3 is out and I don't think that is getting any bad press.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I still believe a digital only release now and physical later would have been a better move.

there is literally nothing from may till the end of the year. If this gets pushed to say.....September it's hitting crowded territory period. There are a ton of games launching in the fall, the same with ghosts if they delay that.

plus apparently the crunch hasn't slowed since the delay.....which means now the team works just as hard as they have been till this launches. The game is done, release it and give the team A god damn break.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I still believe a digital only release now and physical later would have been a better move.

there is literally nothing from may till the end of the year. If this gets pushed to say.....September it's hitting crowded territory period. There are a ton of games launching in the fall, the same with ghosts if they delay that.
I agree with you, but they dont wanna piss of retailers which will carry the PS5 and all the other playstation related stuff.
To have good a relationship with retailers is still very important.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That seems pretty straightforward… Do I even want to know why this thread is freaking 30 pages?

People arguing about Covid-19 and people just going "well release it digital then herr durr", pretty much.

To throw my hat into the ring... I mean, fair enough? If you can't procure physical versions it isn't fair on those people to wait and risk having the experience spoiled for them by those who by digitally.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think it will definitely be on both. But I think they wanna "take advantage" of the situation of how many PS4s are out there and maximize the sales and I don't think it will be on both PS4 and PS5 on the same day.

Why would delaying TLOU 2 to the Fall not be maximizing its sales? There'll be even more PS4s out there then. It's the holiday season where games traditionally sell better. AND there's now a second platform that people can purchase TLOU 2 on. It didn't affect BotW releasing on WiiU and Switch day 1. It's not going to affect TLOU 2 or Halo Infinite. A bigger install base is always going to be a positive thing for games.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tough call predicting a new date. I would say The Last of Us Part II in August, Tsushima in September. What do y'all predict? I still think PS5 in November, but totally unknown at this point obviously.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Tough call predicting a new date. I would say The Last of Us Part II in August, Tsushima in September. What do y'all predict? I still think PS5 in November, but totally unknown at this point obviously.
Honestly, I was shocked when Sony announced Tsushima for June. I thought for sure it would be September. Now that feels more likely, assuming this pandemic has stabilized by then.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I agree with you, but they dont wanna piss of retailers which will carry the PS5 and all the other playstation related stuff.
To have good a relationship with retailers is still very important.
Almost all of those retailers are still open and selling games today.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not convinced about a delay for Cyberpunk yet. TLOU 2 seems like more an issue of distribution and marketing capabilities right now than the studio working from home. If things improve by August/September, I could see Cyberpunk making September. Or if delayed, just to November (still 2020 thankfully).

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People arguing about Covid-19 and people just going "well release it digital then herr durr", pretty much.

To throw my hat into the ring... I mean, fair enough? If you can't procure physical versions it isn't fair on those people to wait and risk having the experience spoiled for them by those who by digitally.
might as well delay it a few years for the economy to recover since many people will be in a financial rut and can't justify purchasing a videogame and will have their experience spoiled.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not convinced about a delay for Cyberpunk yet. TLOU 2 seems like more an issue of distribution and marketing capabilities right now than the studio working from home. If things improve by August/September, I could see Cyberpunk making September. Or if delayed, just to November (still 2020 thankfully).

I'm basically at the point where I'm assuming every dated product is getting pushed back 2-3 months, minimum, and games that are further out may see longer delays due to WFH/illnesses. Avengers will be November, Cyberpunk will be late November, the titles we were expecting to be announced this year for November will be Q1 2021 titles, etc.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm basically at the point where I'm assuming every dated product is getting pushed back 2-3 months, minimum, and games that are further out may see longer delays due to WFH/illnesses. Avengers will be November, Cyberpunk will be late November, the titles we were expecting to be announced this year for November will be Q1 2021 titles, etc.

Yeah I could definitely see that. The biggest thing for me is I just need The Last of Us Part II and Cyberpunk 2077 before Christmas. If that happens, I can live with all of this.

Jun 26, 2018
This isn't super suprising, any super major release like this is going to get pushed way the fuck back... PS5 presumably delayed indefinitely as well. Cyberpunk probably too...