• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Everybody who was paying attention called it. It wasn't a secret that TLOU2 was coming in hot and Sony was relying on an aggressive distribution schedule to get the game to stores on time, and that that schedule was no longer possible. I expected this announcement last Friday, to be honest. I've been trying to encourage people to brace themselves for the delay.

Avengers and Cyberpunk are also getting delayed. This is not an "if."

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Honestly, that's a big shame.

Every local event is cancelled, people are in lockdown across the globe. People are reliant on forms of entertainment, like games and media, to keep going.

It's at this time that it's the time for mediums of entertainment that facilitate staying at home, really get to shine and both enterain long term players, as well as demonstrate their value to people who might not otherwise engage with them. In that sense, I think it's disappointing to see developers aren't differing their releases away from this period.
It's hard for some to get away from tradition. Whether it be Sony who wants to have posters out there and copies all over the shelves or gamers who refuse or can't download the game for whatever reason. The game is apparently done, they just want to hold off until they can get physical copies out there. Seem to be punishing those who moved on to digital. Movies that had theatrical releases are now being streamed so what's the problem?

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
The whole world and feel right now is just depressing and shit in general everybody's stuck

And from what I hear about this game it's brutal and depressing it's probably not something a lot of the general gaming public would wanna play right now I think they will release it in late august early September

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
so when experts say don't expect this first phase of the virus to finish off till August... and then comes phase two in the fall and the next phase starting in December/January.

just expect all media to be a wash for the next year starting March 1st 2020.

These lockdowns are supposed to buy us time to not overload the health care capacity with too much people needing urgent care simultaneously until 1) enough people contract this and recover that the virus will have a hard time spreading rapidly in a population that is partially immune 2) we find a somewhat reliable cure to drive the mortality down 3) we have a tested vaccine.

At least one of those first two things are reasonably likely to happen this year, and the third will likely happen in 2021.
I know things seem to be grim right now, but you need to realize it's been only two months and a lot has happened and some progress has already been achieved. We might be in a substantially better position vis-a-vis this disease in another two or three months.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's a disappointment, but such is the way of things these days. I had a week booked off work to play TLOU2, and just booked another week off for GoT. I'm going to have to contemplate my options for rescheduling those vacation days now.

I'm happy I still have a hefty backlog to dive into while we wait for things to sort themselves out.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Awww man, that blows. Legit, just this past week I finally watched a TLoU playthrough for the first time and loved it. Was super stoked when I went to look up info about TLoU2 and saw it was due in just a couple months. Although not entirely unexpected, but still.... RIP. 😔

This year is gonna suck supreme as far as any kind of new media goes, huh. Shows, movies, games all delayed. Feels like FF7R is gonna be the last major anything we get for who knows how long at this point.
Like damn, not only is 2020 gonna be nonstop terrifying, but it's also probs gonna be completely devoid of exciting news and things to look forward to. :(
Can we just fast-forward to 2021 already?

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
My argument is... they aren't going to be ps4 games.

That makes even less sense. Throwing away the PS4 install base and raising the entry fee to several hundred dollars is a good way to minimize sales and upset customers given that it was already advertised and presold as a PS4 game on top of wasting development funds making the game for the PS4.

Forget shooting in the foot, that's amputation at the knee.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
We are going to be at record unemployment rates by june. Hell, I'm still working and I was planning on buying RE3, Doom Eternal, FFVII and Animal Crossing day one. I copped Doom Eternal but I'm not buying anything else right now for sure. It's gonna be even worse in 2 months as more people are laid off and everyone starts to realize life is not going back to normal for quite some time, as we find ourselves knee-deep in a massive global recession.

I know.

Personally I think we're looking at at least 12 months to 24 months of recession and issues dealing with this virus. With that in mind I don't believe the situation is likely to get better for video game releases for the forseeable future.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These lockdowns are supposed to buy us time to not overload the health care capacity with too much people needing urgent care simultaneously until 1) enough people contract this and recover that the virus will have a hard time spreading rapidly in a population that is partially immune 2) we find a somewhat reliable cure to drive the mortality down 3) we have a tested vaccine.

At least one of those first two things are reasonably likely to happen this year, and the third will likely happen in 2021.
I know things seem to be grim right now, but you need to realize it's been only two months and a lot has happened and some progress has already been achieved. We might be in a substantially better position vis-a-vis this disease in another two or three months.

Thanks for your positive insight. I think we need this kind of stuff in these times.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
sony knew im holding off on buying games

they want the full 60 from me

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I'm just frustrated here but the logistics/economics thing, particularly with logistics being the first word means this is probably because of the the physical version.

yah goddamn boomers

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely happening now

Yeah for sure.

Whatever point of completion TLOU II and the new consoles were at about 3 weeks ago is the point of completion they will probably stay at for the next few months.

I don't see console development or game development from home being entirely feasible. And a few weeks ago it seems like everyone dropped what they were doing to prep for COVID-19's impact.

Jan 4, 2018
It's hard for some to get away from tradition. Whether it be Sony who wants to have posters out there and copies all over the shelves or gamers who refuse or can't download the game for whatever reason. The game is apparently done, they just want to hold off until they can get physical copies out there. Seem to be punishing those who moved on to digital. Movies that had theatrical releases are now being streamed so what's the problem?
The movies being released digitally early tend to be those that have already come out in theaters or are smaller. Most of the bigger stuff that hasn't released yet is getting delayed or pushed to next year (Mulan, Black Widow, No Time To Die, Wonder Woman, Ghostbusters, Morbius, etc). Plus the movie/TV industry has already pretty much completely shifted to digital/streaming in general, so there isn't really any barrier to overcome with consumers. But with video games, physical is still a huge part of the industry, and a large portion of their audience can't or won't switch over that quickly (even in a one-time situation).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It pains me to see this occur, but I understand that Sony couldn't prevent this. It's the wisest course of action. Crossing my fingers that Ghost of Tsushima is unscathed, but I'm not holding my breath at all.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you. You don't know what I'm going through right now. It's clear I'm not the only one having issues with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose mental state is fucking fucked.

I have people in the hospital dying of this shit right now. My entire household lost their jobs and my baby has been sick for the past three months and started running a fever this week. So SORRY for wanting some digital distraction to take me away from this shithole of a planet for a few hours.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck you. Seriously. Fuck you. You don't know what I'm going through right now. It's clear I'm not the only one having issues with this. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose mental state is fucking fucked.

I have people in the hospital dying of this shit right now. My entire household lost their jobs and my baby has been sick for the past three months and started running a fever this week. So SORRY for wanting some digital distraction to take me away from this shithole of a planet for a few hours.

I'm sorry to hear that your situation is bad. However always keep in mind that there are plenty of video games and alternative distractions available to you at this very moment. The Last of Us 2 will release at some point, but they don't owe you a game because you really want it.

Also, calm down. There's no need to be so aggressive.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
yeah look at FF7 what a distaster that launch is with the physical copies. I talked to the owner a of a big gaming store in Munich and he claims that only 1/3 of the expected shipments have arrived in Europe.

you don't wanna risk to fuck up the launch of the biggest Sony Game of the Year.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction based off nothing:
the Last of Us Part II - October/November 2020
Ghost of Tsushima - November/December 2020
PS5 - March 2021.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I mean... do you not see how the COVID situation could affect shipping and engagement? All non essential stores in the UK are shut right now.

I do but when it comes digital media, it can still be released digitally especially using the argument that the last person that I quoted in this post says.

RE3 just came out. Show me the backlash.

Capcom dont care. I dont care. (backlash I mean)

Sony might care though but honestly doesnt matter in the end, they can still release it digitally.

a lot of virus related media gets a watch from people during these times. I see 28 days later, contagion etc. recommended left and right, and as Eggiem states there is barely any backlash for RE3 or Half life Alyx by actual customers, instead only by a select amount of reviewers that deem it tasteless to release it during these times. A lot of businesses predict (probably more based on hope) that things will be cleared up around the end of the year, but I am 99% sure the PS5 and XsX will both be delayed to summer next year. We will be in this mess for a while, better get used to it

The reason for those recommendations is because people are actively watching/seeking out media in relation to it - its a popular subject regardless of what people think.

They're not going to delay it, like, a year.

Hopefully not. They should release it digitally.

I really dont understand how people keep saying this "Oh, they probably dont want to release a game about a virus right now!" You know, Sony is in a business. There are like over 6.5 million new people now without jobs, more and more people are losing their jobs every day. Movies and Music Albums are also being delayed left and right. Are they also being delayed because they may be about an outbreak or virus? Hell no! People are losing money, losing jobs, they aren't going to spend money on wants, they are barely able to buy needs. Why release a product or property when there is no strong market for it?

Thats the reason! Sony wants to make as much money as they can on a property they spent a small fortune funding. Same with Top Gun, Wonder Woman, James Bond or Ghostbusters being delayed, or Prince, Lady Gaga, Willie Nelson, Alicia Keys albums being delayed. There is no market for these right now. It has nothing to do with the subject matter of these properties.

One of my favorite comments was the one about "Oh, it probably isn't ready and they are just delaying the game. If it was ready, they would give a new date!" I think some people want to look for some deeper reason other than the same, consistent reason EVERYTHING ELSE S BEING DELAYED. There is nothing deeper here!

Then release it digitally. No point in delaying it indefinitely/until further notice.

If anything, this pandemic will prove that digital media will be more valuable in the long run compared to physical media which will have its monetary hurdles (shipping, packing , and shelf costs) and of course what is presently happening (logistic issues) as far as entertainment products are concerned.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
The movies being released digitally early tend to be those that have already come out in theaters or are smaller. Most of the bigger stuff that hasn't released yet is getting delayed or pushed to next year (Mulan, Black Widow, No Time To Die, Wonder Woman, Ghostbusters, Morbius, etc). Plus the movie/TV industry has already pretty much completely shifted to digital/streaming in general, so there isn't really any barrier to overcome with consumers. But with video games, physical is still a huge part of the industry, and a large portion of your audience can't or won't switch over that quickly (even in a one-time situation).
It sounds selfish I know. Movies have the ability to get revenue from 2 major releases, theatrical and home video. Videogames have always been a one shot deal and I think about half out there already choose to buy games digitally. So yes, you are right that is still a large portion who either don't want to buy digitally or can't. We have however seen many smaller games only have digital availability and this is where the traditional gamer Sony still wants to respect, I get that, but we are also in totally different times here where most of us want to do something at home. Sony wants to treat these pillar titles as huge events, they said that. The question is how long are they willing to hold off?

This game will sell huge, even if it was digital only.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

Plenty of other games to play mate. And plenty of games I'd rather be playing than this.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn was hoping this would be the last shine of light before game releases are getting affected. Indefinitely though ugh. Totally understand it though. When the time is right, the time is right.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
"We can make more money later."

Oh well. I wonder what happens with Ghost -- Sony probably aren't sure themselves.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly.

Jan 4, 2018
It sounds selfish I know. Movies have the ability to get revenue from 2 major releases, theatrical and home video. Videogames have always been a one shot deal and I think about half out there already choose to buy games digitally. So yes, you are right that is still a large portion who either don't want to buy digitally or can't. We have however seen many smaller games only have digital availability and this is where the traditional gamer Sony still wants to respect, I get that, but we are also in totally different times here where most of us want to do something at home. Sony wants to treat these pillar titles as huge events, they said that. The question is how long are they willing to hold off?

This game will sell huge, even if it was digital only.
Considering they didn't say anything about GoT, I'm guessing they think things might start to get better (at least temporarily) in the Summer. If that is the case, I would think they might have TLOU leapfrog GoT by a month or two and release around the end of July or sometime in August. But since they haven't indicated anything about a new date and the fact that no one really knows where we'll be in a couple of months with the pandemic, there is no way to know for sure.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I do but when it comes digital media, it can still be released digitally especially using the argument that the last person that I quoted in this post says.

Capcom dont care. I dont care. (backlash I mean)

Sony might care though but honestly doesnt matter in the end, they can still release it digitally.

The reason for those recommendations is because people are actively watching/seeking out media in relation to it - its a popular subject regardless of what people think.

Hopefully not. They should release it digitally.

Then release it digitally. No point in delaying it indefinitely/until further notice.

If anything, this pandemic will prove that digital media will be more valuable in the long run compared to physical media which will have its monetary hurdles (shipping, packing , and shelf costs) and of course what is presently happening (logistic issues) as far as entertainment products are concerned.
In the UK physical copies can be alot cheaper than digitally on the PSN. For example, FF7 Remake is £60 on the PSN store but I've got it pre-ordered for under £40. Making people pay more whilst also forcing everyone to download a 2 x blu ray disc game which happens to be Sony's most important game this gen on throttled download speeds is a disaster waiting to happen.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to hear but I can wait.

This whole year is just one long wait till things are hopefully better by next year.