• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
giphy.gif
I've been mainly playing on PC since 2008, so I really do see physical as something that can and will become more for collectors than anything else.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
But why "they better give PS5 info!!!" reaction?

They'll be fine. Ignoring the impact from the pandemic, they could reveal it in August, release it in November, and no one is going to give a crap that they didn't show it in April.
Hmm no ps5 news until fall and Part2, Ghost until maybe fall as well.

Yea if you "dont care" you might be in the wrong forum chief.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sure is a good job they spent all those months / years forcing their workers to crunch to get this done on time.

My heart goes out to all the devs and QA guys being worked to the bone at Naughty Dog.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
A flood of new $1200+ laptops were announced yesterday with the new intel chip. AMD just did their own launch. Apple's just launched a new iPad and a MacBook Air . IPhone 12 will launch this year at $1000. Nvidia is launching their Ampere GPUs with flagship cards coming in at $1000+.

Why should $499 consoles be any different?
Consoles need a ton of software printed, peripherals made, stock available (i.e can't paper launch like a GPU). There's a whole lot more that goes into a console launch than just a console, which will be logistically difficult And people see phones, GPUs, laptops as work expenses. Consoles are toys essentially, they're not used for productivity.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So a PS5 launch title or probably until the whole virus situation ends - probably because they are worried from potential backlash of the game's plot since arent the enemies infected with a virus or something? (Havent played the first game).
a lot of virus related media gets a watch from people during these times. I see 28 days later, contagion etc. recommended left and right, and as Eggiem states there is barely any backlash for RE3 or Half life Alyx by actual customers, instead only by a select amount of reviewers that deem it tasteless to release it during these times. A lot of businesses predict (probably more based on hope) that things will be cleared up around the end of the year, but I am 99% sure the PS5 and XsX will both be delayed to summer next year. We will be in this mess for a while, better get used to it

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
A flood of new $1200+ laptops were announced yesterday with the new intel chip. AMD just did their own launch. Apple's just launched a new iPad and a MacBook Air . IPhone 12 will launch this year at $1000. Nvidia is launching their Ampere GPUs with flagship cards coming in at $1000+.

Why should $499 consoles be any different?

So... You are validating my point? Thanks! See? Companies only think for themselves. The ps5 and xbox are releasing this year with the games that are "indefinitely" on hold.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Of course corona will impact sales. It'll impact the sales of almost anything aside from necessary products like food considering millions have lost their job. And a lot of people who haven't lost their jobs will be saving their money in case they do lose their jobs.
Yeah unfortunately don't think I should be buying ff7r at release right now.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
HA. If they thought they could release it this summer, they would have given a date. It still releasing in the summer is very optimistic.
If they were sure it was a long term delay then why not announce it like films have done? That way you give yourself plenty of time to sort out the logistical issues regardless of what happens in the future. To me it seems obvious Sony are keeping this as open as possible as even they aren't sure if it's a short or long delay. It's all dependant on the virus. Sooner that clears up the sooner its released.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
we are talking about a few months in before they would have to ship. those that crunch at this point are programmers mostly fixing up bugs, maybe some asset tweaks by artists. but that is about it. I highly doubt an experienced team like ND who has used motioncapture did not had their motioncapture sessions done at least 6 months ago. You cant just capture and its usable instantly. it needs to be processed and this can take time. so trust me, there would not be any motion capture this late in production since you needs months work after the last session to tweak the capture and do additional animation work. Crunch is hardly ever studio wide, it affects groups at a time.
They finished motion capture for almost a year.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Oh well thanks covid19.... :/
Probably they're expecting market conditions to deteriorate especially in the US market so much that basically all sales coming from physical version would be fucked and given sales expectations vs costs of budget they can't afford it.
Honestly if FF7R managed to launch in these conditions they could have opted not to delay since the game is ready.
Don't know what's going to happen at this point, it's either June, or a PS4/PS5 launch title, or a PS4 title for the holiday season in place of the delayed PS5 LOL.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Well, at least the game should be super polished by the time it's released and DLC will probably be not that far away.
I imagine they'll be working on whatever they have planned for multiplayer.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Hmm, maybe it'll be a good time for digital-only games, like indie Steam releases and stuff?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, not really... Crunch doesn't hit art teams as badly because a lot of that work is finished before the final months. But you can't say the same for the rest of a studio. Production, Design, Tech and QA all will get hit hard during crunch. Audio teams to a lesser extent. Congrats to the artists though.
good point, I overlooked production, design, tech and QA and the tons of other departments that deal with wrapping up a project, lots of digital marketing work, audio and cinema departments etc. I usually don't deal with them enough, and we haven't had big crunch in our studio for years, and those who do are usually really small teams that work a few weekends tops.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
The same retail who are relying on physical to survive but can't open? They wouldn't dare stand up against a platform holder again.

they tried in 2013 with Nintendo by firesale-ing the WiiU

Or maybe they think the relationship is reciprocal because a lot of people still buy physical rather than being a on sided power dynamic that they must flex at each opportunity. They may not hold a lot of power, but they do facilitate a lot of income.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Saying "playable without access to the internet" seems a bit off when it minimizes the reality of day 1 patches that are near-essential in so many cases today, including the big majority of AAA console titles you mention.

Those patches aren't "near essential" unless something is really wrong.

I assure you, you can stick Spider-man, or God of War into a PS4 and play those games without difficulty directly off the disc without ever being connected to the internet. I know this because I've done it, specifically on a road trip in a rented sprinter that happened to have a PS4 in the passenger compartment.

AAA game producers do have quality control, you know.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Im confused

iron man will be a relatively small game heavily bought digitally. surely not planning to ship many physical discs (simply a smaller addressable market with PSVR).

does that mean that all release can be at risk now? Do Sony still ship directly to retail from DADC? Even third party games are printed and distributed by Sony either to retail or to distributors.

Stuff is still being sold through amazon and online retailers. GameStop/GAME are closed at retail but what percentage of a big game is high street retail vs online retail and digital?

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Last of Us delayed because...what? They are afraid sales will suffer? A lot of retail chains are closed? AC and Doom Eternal seems fine. In fact more than fine. Is Sony concerned with the game not charting as high as they would like?

What a stupid fucking reason. Guess we can look forward to Ghost and the PS5 launch to be delayed indefinitely too if that's their reasoning.

Edit: Everyone lashing out at me can fuck right off. Digital exists. It would be nice for those of us like me and millions of others around the world who are unemployed, depressed and forced to stay inside for months on end to have some glimmer of happiness.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So Last of Us delayed because...what? They are afraid sales will suffer? A lot of retail chains are closed? AC and Doom Eternal seems fine. In fact more than fine. Is Sony concerned with the game not charting as high as they would like?

They're concerned about getting the discs pressed and shipped around the world in time for a launch next month.

Shipments of all sorts of things are delayed. AC and Doom snuck through before the shit really hit the fan.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Surface Reason: Got delayed due to covid-19

Conspiracy Theory Reason: Got delayed so they can Breath of the Wild it.

I think it's a mix of both

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

Doom sold before the worst of this hit. I got my copy mailed on time but FF7R is already having issues with on time fulfillment. Amazing what a month does when the world starts responding in earnest to a pandemic.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
They haven't given a new date because, and this might surprise some here, corporations no matter how big or no matter how many
analyst they employ are not sure fire Nostradamus mother fuckers.

Governments and the WHO can't give a sure fire answer to when this shit is over so don't be expecting Sony to be knocking out dates for delayed games. They have no fucking clue as to when things will get back to normal to enable shipments. They can say summer all they want but if this thing doesn't come under control by then what's the point.

Sony and MS have a lot of inside info, a lot of clever analysts but they aren't the Oracles of Delphi.

Don't be looking to Phil Spencer to be indicating when this is over. He doesn't know. No one does.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

What a stupid fucking reason. Guess we can look forward to Ghost and the PS5 launch to be delayed indefinitely too if that's their reasoning.
So many more retail stores have closed since AC and Doom released, and many more will close before TLOU2 was supposed to release. Things change drastically on a weekly basis these days.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017

And today in "person who is completely oblivious to what is currently happening around the world".

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're concerned about getting the discs pressed and shipped around the world in time for a launch next month.

Shipments of all sorts of things are delayed. AC and Doom snuck through before the shit really hit the fan.

Launch it digitally then only in certain regions. This could last for another year or more, what are they going to do, cease operations completely?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

You are looking stupid.The world is already in the shit today,imagine in 60 days.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Who was naive enough to NOT see this coming??

Anyways, I wish the team the best and I hope they stay safe. Also, please don't stress yourself out trying rush to release date. Everything is in flux now, (reasonable) people will understand given the circumstances

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

don't forget the logistics. look at the current distribution of ff7r right now and how many people have access to it and how many don't. on top of that, we have no idea what physical distribution's gonna look like in late may. there are so many factors at play here.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020

Sony is stupid for chossing to not release a game during a period when lots of people cannot buy games ?

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Understandable. Can see this coming out for holiday season this year with both the PS5 and Series X coming Spring 2021. I know it would make sense coming on release, but as the physical stores are closed at the moment, sales could be hit.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
If they were sure it was a long term delay then why not announce it like films have done? That way you give yourself plenty of time to sort out the logistical issues regardless of what happens in the future. To me it seems obvious Sony are keeping this as open as possible as even they aren't sure if it's a short or long delay. It's all dependant on the virus. Sooner that clears up the sooner its released.
so when experts say don't expect this first phase of the virus to finish off till August... and then comes phase two in the fall and the next phase starting in December/January.

just expect all media to be a wash for the next year starting March 1st 2020.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Surface Reason: Got delayed due to covid-19

Conspiracy Theory Reason: Got delayed so they can Breath of the Wild it.

I think it's a mix of both

We're really doing the "Sony is just using coronavirus as an excuse" thing again?

The Olympics aren't happening this year. The Hajj might not be happening this year. That's the level of disruption we're talking about. It's totally reasonable to expect the shipment of entertainment products to be affected, no need for secret ulterior motives.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Well you guys better play Final Fantasy 7 (disc 1) really slow...

It could be a possible PS5 launch game. If so, the PlayStation 5 might actually have the best launch games in all of gaming history. It might even beat the switch out.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
If I were a betting person I would bet that this is now a PS5 launch title that also has a PS4 version, and that both new consoles are not coming out this year. If I were to guess, we won't see this game til Spring (March or April) 2021 with a PS5 release.