• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Release it day 1 with ps5 sony. One copy to play on all 3 consoles, and a ps5 patch for crispy 4k/60fps.

Please

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck mannnnn.. This hurts to see. 😭😭

I wonder if FF sales will get negatively affected by corona
Of course corona will impact sales. It'll impact the sales of almost anything aside from necessary products like food considering millions have lost their job. And a lot of people who haven't lost their jobs will be saving their money in case they do lose their jobs.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So a PS5 launch title or probably until the whole virus situation ends - probably because they are worried from potential backlash of the game's plot since arent the enemies infected with a virus or something? (Havent played the first game).

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
they get paid, just like inhouse employees from the initial funding, not from any revenue flow of sold products.
the delay does not impact them much, just like it wont impact the devs themselves beside finding it shitty for their game to sit on a shelf for months and not have people play and enjoy it
Delay sucks either way, obviously, but at least their is solace in the fact that they have been paid. Thanks for the info.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
The real bummer is that this game would've made a lot of people's self-quarantine a little easier. Oh well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So a PS5 launch title or probably until the whole virus situation ends - probably because they are worried from potential backlash of the game's plot since arent the enemies infected with a virus or something? (Havent played the first game).
I mean... do you not see how the COVID situation could affect shipping and engagement? All non essential stores in the UK are shut right now.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Kind of expected really. Sucks for folks who were excited.

Naughty Dog, still crunching remotely.

Cool. Cool.

twitter.com

Jason Schreier on Twitter

“- TLOUII was on track for May, multiple devs say. The primary reason for the delay is the challenge of printing, shipping, and selling physical games right now - Going remote has not stopped those still working on the game (such as QA) from crunching. Hopefully this delay helps”

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well... Tell that to the MS team and Sony team, releasing the consoles no matter what. They don't care about us. Only business. TLoUS II as jschreier reported was delayed not because compassion but because an economic point of view.
They don't care about the individual person, but they sure as hell care about the people not having the money or will to spend a lot of money on expensive game consoles come year's end. I see no way that these consoles are going to get released unless the economy makes some sort of miraculous recovery at the end of the year.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Right now i kinda wished physical died early this gen like it has on PC. Would be way more flexible with release dates (FF7 could just have fully launched now for example) and there would have been no point delaying this game.

Physical holding back digital is real shitty.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
But why is there still crunch then?
we are talking about a few months in before they would have to ship. those that crunch at this point are programmers mostly fixing up bugs, maybe some asset tweaks by artists. but that is about it. I highly doubt an experienced team like ND who has used motioncapture did not had their motioncapture sessions done at least 6 months ago. You cant just capture and its usable instantly. it needs to be processed and this can take time. so trust me, there would not be any motion capture this late in production since you needs months work after the last session to tweak the capture and do additional animation work. Crunch is hardly ever studio wide, it affects groups at a time.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think they're going to hold TLOU2 till PS5 launch like some of you seem to think. In fact, I don't see PS5 launch happening on time now either. In order for PS5 launch to happen, things will have to have been relatively stable for a bit, stable long enough for TLOU2 to launch on PS4 already.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Right now i kinda wished physical died early this gen like it has on PC. Would be way more flexible with release dates (FF7 could just have fully launched now for example) and there would have been no point delaying this game.

Physical would work so much better as being an optional niche for collectors these days.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The entire game will be on the disc, and will be playable without access to the internet.

You also realize that the big majority of AAA console titles are sold this way, right?

Saying "playable without access to the internet" seems a bit off when it minimizes the reality of day 1 patches that are near-essential in so many cases today, including the big majority of AAA console titles you mention.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I really don't think they're going to hold TLOU2 till PS5 launch like some of you seem to think. In fact, I don't see PS5 launch happening on time now either. In order for PS5 launch to happen, things will have to have been relatively stable for a bit, stable long enough for TLOU2 to launch on PS4 already.

I imagine that Iron Man and Last of Us could be delayed to the fall as substitutes for PS5 not launching.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Physical would work so much better as being an optional niche for collectors these days.

giphy.gif

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
we are talking about a few months in before they would have to ship. those that crunch at this point are programmers mostly fixing up bugs, maybe some asset tweaks by artists. but that is about it. I highly doubt an experienced team like ND who has used motioncapture did not had their motioncapture sessions done at least 6 months ago. Crunch is hardly ever studio wide, it affects groups at a time.

I mean, not really... Crunch doesn't hit art teams as badly because a lot of that work is finished before the final months. But you can't say the same for the rest of a studio. Production, Design, Tech and QA all will get hit hard during crunch. Audio teams to a lesser extent. Congrats to the artists though.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame as I was really looking forward to it but likely the right decision all things considered. Hopefully this will provide some respite from crunch for the teams involved.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well... Tell that to the MS team and Sony team, releasing the consoles no matter what. They don't care about us. Only business. TLoUS II as jschreier reported was delayed not because compassion but because an economic point of view.

A flood of new $1200+ laptops were announced yesterday with the new intel chip. AMD just did their own launch. Apple's just launched a new iPad and a MacBook Air . IPhone 12 will launch this year at $1000. Nvidia is launching their Ampere GPUs with flagship cards coming in at $1000+.

Why should $499 consoles be any different?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Guessing Sony really doesn't want to piss retailers off right before the next console launch. Doing that could make quite a dramatic and lasting effect in the so called console wars were they to do that.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
That's cool, Tsushima will be the game of the summer and we'll probably get Last of Us around September.