• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They need to retool. Most development work should be possible remotely. You have like 1-2 people that are in charge of connecting machines in office. Otherwise I imagine motion capturing is one of the few things you can't do.
Again, the game is basically done. This isn't a development issue. It's a logistical/economic issue for the delay

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll still be too busy with Animal Crossing anyway. Maybe now with the delay I'll play it at launch instead of insta-backlogging it.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that they saw the current launch situation with FFVII and wanted to avoid that. A seamless launch where all copies will arrive on time just isn't realistic right now. Also, just doing a digital launch isn't realistic and would make them lose a lot more money than just delaying it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Expected but disappointing all the same.

I can't see Microsoft releasing Gears Tactics at the end of the month either, tbh.

There will be fuckall new to play this Summer. Time to hit the backlog..

The opposite - it's a PC game, where the audience vastly prefer / utilise digital distribution. It is also a time when a lot of people are at home, playing and buying PC games.
Unless there are actual development issues due to COVID. They'll probably proceed with it

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is so many games are missing features without installing massive patches.

From the AAA PlayStation first party games, I don't think any needed a download to play. I'm pretty sure they had all you needed on the disc in case you didn't have an internet connection. I could be wrong though cause I don't have every one

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
This was one of the last games I pre-ordered before my Best Buy GGU expired.
I just received an email saying it's been delayed (Dec 31st ,2020) that email makes it so real. :(

2020 continues giving :|

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Given how the launches of RE3 and FF7 are right now, i'm really not surprised with FF7 being released early physical in some regions, whilst slight delayed retail in another with RE3 seeing some countries pushed back until early May for copies. As ND have said the game is almost done, they haven't started printing discs or anything yet, so with the growing concerns around the virus and lockdowns being enforced for non-essential work, game stores closing etc just the whole environment surrounding the biggest PS4 release of the generation, it all makes sense.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Couple reasons imo

1) Unfair to people who pre ordered it physically.
2) Digital releases are only a piece of the pie
3) Servers are already being throttled, and on top of that, they would be overwhelmed if it ONLY releases on digital

Jason from kotako elaborates on this even more:

I also imagine they have obligations to their retail partners surrounding shipments, in-store promo, etc... Don't get me wrong, bring on the digital future, but it would be bad business to essentially undercut & screw over retailers who are depending on all a major release like TLOU2 brings.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I wouldn't feel comfortable playing something like Doom or Call of Duty unpatched. But that's just me personally.

If you're playing wihout a connection to the internet you don't really have a choice and the disk does work in that scenario.

dude... that is what I'm saying. Sony is not being an altruistic enterprise, it is all about the money. Sony is going to make those killer ps4 games into ps5 release titles. They don't need new games.

That seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. No new games to sell your console? Bold strategy.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So this is what broke the camel's back for Era. Even Stark couldn't avoid the pandemic. Damn.

At least drop the demo on the store Sony. The same demo they've been showing at each event for the past year and a half.

:-/

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So... what's the opportune time to launch this now? September is Cyberpunk month. October is on the eve of next-gen. August?

They can release this game at virtually any point. I don't think Cyberpunk will have much of an effect on TLOU sales

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
So... what's the opportune time to launch this now? September is Cyberpunk month. October is on the eve of next-gen. August?
As soon as possible I'd imagine. They had no problems releasing their two major remaining 1st party titles less than 1 month apart prior to this delay (which everyone said they wouldn't do), so as long as that's maintained I doubt they care too much about a specific month as long as it's ASAP.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They need to retool. Most development work should be possible remotely. You have like 1-2 people that are in charge of connecting machines in office. Otherwise I imagine motion capturing is one of the few things you can't do.
at this point of production, there is no way any one does motion capturing. the game is done minus some bug tweaking.
I am 100% sure its all due to the logistical issues they are facing since amazon and the like are prioritizing other items in these times of crisis

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They delayed Cyberpunk because they needed more dev time. Who knows if they are developing as fast as before thanks to the quarentine? I would say that Cyberpunk will also be delayed.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Disappointing but understandable. Safety of employees comes first!

Looking forward to playing it when it releases :)

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Considering the game is basically finished, do you think them saying "indefinitely" can mean that they are discussing if TLOU2 would just take tsushima's release date and just delay tsushima maybe until july/september?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Sad to hear from Schreier that Naughty Dog employees were/are still crunching from home.

Delaying it is the right decision, whatever the reason is. Wonder if there's a bit of them wanting to be sure there's no spoilers too, given the "we want all player to experience it at the same time" bit.
And yeah, it's not Animal Crossing. Different vibe for this game, not the right timing, and hard to be sure that people would go for a digital copy if there were issues. Different audience.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone who thinks new consoles are coming this year is completely out the loop. Look out the window, or better still look out your window in 7-14 days. The world is grinding to a full stop. It doesn't matter what MS or Sony say in the interim or that you think China is over the hump,.

World's fucked for a good while yet.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of posts ITT, especially in the first couple pages, wanting this to become a PS5 launch title is unreal. Like they're going to just throw away all that work and not release it on PS4...wtf?

I don't think the idea was that they would throw away the PS4 version but release on both consoles at the same time.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Guess I'll pick up a game during a sale and play some games from the back log (and Animal Crossing).

Hopefully 2021 will be a best case scenario. Vaccine, things opening up, job market getting back on its feet, next gen consoles, and a shitload of games and movies.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks new consoles are coming this year is completely out the loop. Look out the window, or better still look out your window in 7-14 days. The world is grinding to a full stop. It doesn't matter what MS or Sony say in the interim or that you think China is over the hump,.

World's fucked for a good while yet.
I like your optimism.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I don't think the idea was that they would throw away the PS4 version but release on both consoles at the same time.
Many of them had that sentiment, yeah, but there were also a ton of posters that wanted the game to just be a PS5 title, which would be a ridiculous thing to do.

(There were also a few that wanted the PS4 version canceled if the PS5 happened to come out first, which is a very weird thing to say for its own set of reasons.)

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Of course its coming out this year. Sony need to sell it, now with this ps4 games that didn't came out. Imagine the bundles.
Studios are closed down (for months probably) factories aren't working, etc. There is no way. They would have had to start ramping up production right now. It's not happening, it will be delayed until they can release it properly and make the most profit.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that I'm not going to buy this game until the release of the PS5 then, unless somehow the console gets an almost impossible delay of 1 year