• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It won't make a difference if it comes out early next year either as those affects will still be the same even then, but it should definitely be a PS5 launch game, screw the PS4

You know you are talking about a 100+ million user base right?

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Why?

I'm not angry that FF VII physical is already out, despite pre-ordering it at PSN last month.

That's not really the same thing. You only have to wait a few weeks whereas here, we might not see a release for several months. Then there's the issue of spoilers being out there for all that time, which might make people lose interest entirely.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Time to peruse the Spring Sale on PSN it is then. Cyberpunk and Ghost will get the chop too and I'll just be sitting out 2020. Wake me up when the new consoles get released in 2021. If there are places to buy the things from that is. I got the PS4 from a UK Supermarket but I can hardly get a loaf of bread there these days.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer to just wait until Ps5 for TLOUII at this point. It'd be nice to play without a plane lifting off in my bedroom at the same time.

But if it comes out before I don't think I have the self control to wait.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely. They still have a deadline too meet where possible. The longer development takes the bigger the budget/expense will be. Just because the game can't ship on May 29 doesn't mean Sony will want to spend extra money funding a longer development. They're going to be hit two fold then.
Jason tweeted it hasn't. Sad times for them.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Not sure why they can't just release it digitally.

Couple reasons imo

1) Unfair to people who pre ordered it physically.
2) Digital releases are only a piece of the pie
3) Servers are already being throttled, and on top of that, they would be overwhelmed if it ONLY releases on digital

Jason from kotako elaborates on this even more:

Dec 31, 2017
Sony aren't going to release a flagship title like TLoU:P2 (and a smaller title that needs as much attention as it can get) to a drastically reduced audience with few ways to adequately market it. That would be a massive financial blow where it's 100% not needed. Things are so much more complicated than just "physical people waiting for it."
As far as I know FF7 remake is still getting released and is probably as important, if not more important than last of us. People who want the game will still want to buy it.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
The economics makes no sense to not do a physical release later down the line as a total launch.

Dec 31, 2017
That's not really the same thing. You only have to wait a few weeks whereas here, we might not see a release for several months. Then there's the issue of spoilers being out there for all that time, which might make people lose interest entirely.
You buy a game to play it, spoilers can be dodged, it's not like anyone is forcing you to read them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I honestly am really sad about this, it was the only upcoming game I was planning to buy (before ghost of Tsushima but that is obviously getting delayed too), not sure what should I do now in these next 5 months (at least).

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for "physical" aka plastic download keys to die out.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Weird, the games done and other publishers are managing to get their games out there.

No other publisher is releasing a game as pivotal to their business as TLoU:P2 during that period. The only real comparable game right now is Final Fantasy and that game's launch is in fairly major turmoil.

Additionally we simply haven't heard of any other delays at the moment. There will be more delays to come.

As far as I know FF7 remake is still getting released and is probably as important, if not more important than last of us. People who want the game will still want to buy it.

It is, but that has little bearing on a game coming out in May.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
17e16872a1fbcc7a4a72a3f397da6321.gif

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Jason tweeted it hasn't. Sad times for them.
Yeah I figured as much. All comes down to the budget. If the virus hasn't impacted the actual development of the game then Sony have no need to needlessly extend development time and shell out more money. They lose nothing by completing the game as scheduled and just sitting on it. They would however lose/have to shell out more money if they green-lit another 1, 2, 3 etc... months of development.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Understandable but another delay feels bad indeed.
It's going to be a rough year for everyone.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hmmmm. I wonder what kind of numbers Sony is projecting in terms of lost revenue had it released on time. Most stores (Walmart, Best Buy) are still operating & on the flip side I would argue people are playing games right now more than ever and digital sales would probably probably project higher than usual.

Would love to see the deep dive into this decision.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it, of all the games releasing this year -most of which I don't give a fuck about- it had to be TLOU2. This fucking sucks sooooo much. They should have released when they first said they would. Now it's two delays and god knows when are we going to play this game.

Fuck this virus until the end of times.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Either November or early next year, why delay a game until further notice ?

Because no one knows when this is all going to level off, and things get back to normal. Naughty Dog said they hope the delay isn't long. For all we know, they might be shooting for a late summer release.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is confirmed.

Halo isn't delayed as of now. If this pandemic continues through the summer, that could easily change. It's too early to know either way yet.
He said Bonnie and the team are on track. But I guess that depends on things getting back to normal in June/July which is still guesswork. Hmm

Plum

May 31, 2018
Honestly if you're saying that Sony should "Just release the game digitally!" you're doing exactly the same thing as saying that a developer should just "release the game now!" after delaying their game for developmental reasons. Both show a fundamental ignorance as to how things work and an 'armchair professional' attitude.

The only difference here is that the business side of gaming is seen as less legitimate than the development side so people are more emboldened to make such bad takes and others are less likely to call them out on it.