• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog uses in-engine cutscenes just like Rockstar. So this isn't the reason for the massive file size. If there are any pre-rendered cutscenes, there will be a very small amount of them to mask loading just like in Uncharted 4.

Oh, good to know.

And if we talk about textures, i guess they might eat much space if they use PBR rendering, right? Like, every object has not just 3 textures (classic trio of diffuse/bump/spectacular), but around 7-8 (or even more?), and all in high resolution.

edit:
I still can't believe that Titanfall 1 on PC is 12 gb of game assets and 25+ gb of audio.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, even if takes an hour to install its quicker than waiting 10 hours to download with my shitty internet connection.
Upgrade your Internet? With as much of our lives these days revolve around the Internet, it seems silly to skimp on that.

In any case, with digital you can pre-load. Even the worst broadband connections will have the game ready to go at midnight PDT.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
RE3: "wow what a short game i will never buy this travesty of a game"
TLOU2: "my gosh if this is 30h ND have made a huge mistake"

hahahahah please.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh I read nothing into this anymore after FFVII remake being 90GB +, where I can only imagine it was because of voice tracks cause it didn't feel that big a game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
User Banned (Permanent): Posting Spoilers; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
50% of it are used on rendering Abby's muscle

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags

Last edited by a moderator:

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
The huge majority will get it digital.

Reportedly 50-70% of new release AAA-title sales are physical. Not sure how the remainder could be considered a "huge majority". Sure, the current situation might impact sales, but by June, the majority of retail is expected to be up and running, so that impact shouldn't be too drastic.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Reportedly 50-70% of new release AAA-title sales are physical. Not sure how the remainder could be considered a "huge majority". Sure, the current situation might impact sales, but by June, the majority of retail is expected to be up and running, so that impact shouldn't be too drastic.

50-70%? Where?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this file size is down to high quality audio and cutscenes. I'm really looking forward to the previews!

You can look at the September previews of it. But you probably shouldn't expect previews (at least hands-on) any time soon for any games due to COVID-19. No way companies are going to risk gathering journalists from around the world together to play a game.

Jun 17, 2018
You can look at the September previews of it. But you probably shouldn't expect previews (at least hands-on) any time soon for any games due to COVID-19. No way companies are going to risk gathering journalists from around the world together to play a game.

That's a really good point! It's a shame there isn't a way they could hand out a timed preview (first couple hours) demo to journalists. Obviously it's a bad idea since it would be leaked and it would cause more bloody problems.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The longer, the better! 20-30 hours, give it to me!

I'll probably delete Destiny 2 finally, it's way past its expiration date.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Fine with me. FF7 didn't take that long even with throttled downloads. Pre-loading is the best.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it's not even 90GB like FFVIIR.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018

www.vg247.com

Here’s why it’s very unlikely Sony will release The Last of Us Part 2 digitally on May 29

Sony recently announced that The Last of Us Part 2 would be delayed indefinitely, due to the impact of COVID-19.

Also, while not really super up to date, the latest sony financial reports state 53% digital for ps4 game sales in Q1 2019 and 37% digital for Q2 2019.

Edit: found Q3 info, 49% digital.

It's a bit naive to think COVID-19 will be less enough of a threat that most video game and technology stores can re-open in June.

Globally, who know. Where I live, all retail opens this coming Monday. Similar story across all EU.

Last edited:

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
there is confirmation that the file size will be 100 GB.
60130.jpg

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Sorry for this being off topic. But for the Last of Part 2 what are chances of it having PS5 enhancements (like what Microsoft is doing for gears 5 for the series x)

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Detailed assets and uncompressed audio quickly add up.

It's not really indicative of the amount of content and certainly not length.
Yep. File sizes rarely indicate anything.

Compression is incredibly powerful, still blows my mind when the game fits on a disc. But yea, you can have games be 2 gigs or 2 Tb's, just depends on how compressed you... compress it.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yeah no TLOU2 thread is safe. fuck. really big spoiler imo.

Yep. File sizes rarely indicate anything.

Compression is incredibly powerful, still blows my mind when the game fits on a disc. But yea, you can have games be 2 gigs or 2 Tb's, just depends on how compressed you... compress it.

the most mind boggling compression work for me is BOTW being 14gb.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's just that silence on this very topic kind of makes it uneasy. I just hope it's not like a Wii U situation, like you can play your old wii games but with no enhancements
Same, hopefully Sony will make announcements regarding this topic during the PS5 reveal event and if they don't I'm expecting the worst case scenario where enhancements are locked behind an additional paywall.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Game sizes are preventing me from buying games. I understand they are necessary but to me it still seems like a slap in the face.

"Our game is so good we demand a quarter of your storage space..."

Xbox's little portable SSDs is like the ideal solution for me though so that may change.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Between COD and Battlefront, I might not have space for the game. RIP Battlefront, I guess.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, this is why I might go all physical next gen. Downloading 100gb of data with my slow ass internet would day probably about 3-5 days.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Same, hopefully Sony will make announcements regarding this topic during the PS5 reveal event and if they don't I'm expecting the worst case scenario where enhancements are locked behind an additional paywall.
I'm giving that a 65% probably, the reason being is that most of their cross buy efforts didn't offer any major enhancements. When it was major, like the last of us we were charged. Even through the PS4 could have read the ps3 discs and offered a free upgrade

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Game sizes are preventing me from buying games. I understand they are necessary but to me it still seems like a slap in the face.

"Our game is so good we demand a quarter of your storage space..."

Xbox's little portable SSDs is like the ideal solution for me though so that may change.

You could always use a external HD. 400gb is too small, the default now on consoles is 1tb.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm giving that a 65% probably, the reason being is that most of their cross buy efforts didn't offer any major enhancements. When it was major, like the last of us we were charged. Even through the PS4 could have read the ps3 discs and offered a free upgrade
True, but now that we have backwards compatibility that's a way harder sell IMO because you'd essentially be selling me a graphics/framerate enhancement pack. Just imagine if the PS4 had been BC with PS3 from the day of the PS4's release, trying to justify $60 for a game such as The Last of Us Remastered would have been really hard.