• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 11, 2018
I've always been on team 2019 and continue to be so. As much as I would be absolutely fine with a Feb-April 2020 release, Sony is probably going to make ND crunch hard to get the game out by November. If ND begs for more time though, Sony would likely give it to them though.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
My immediate thought when Sony cancelled their E3 presser this year was that Sony would have no major games post Days Gone in 2019 and ride on the third party power to end this gen.

I hope I'm wrong, but TLOU2 this year still seems like a stretch. I'd bet May 2020.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'll gladly be proven wrong, but I just can't see Sony staying completely silent on their biggest remaining PS4 game for like a year only to suddenly drop a trailer and release date which puts the game just 3-4 months away. I'm expecting to see something in July or August with an early 2020 window, and then a definitive date in December (hopefully at a PSX).

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Just feels weird to me.
Also, the fact that this is coming from you feels like a hint towards something :p
Whatever they do, I expect the release date to be 3-4 months out once that last trailer/blog post hits. Very similar situation with GoW. Druckmann likes to update milestones, but he knows what he's doing with those teases, and the ripples it will have amongst the fans. We'll see something fairly soon, may not be a date however.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Just feels weird to me.
Also, the fact that this is coming from you feels like a hint towards something :p
Lol, no offense - but I don't think I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people that think they know better than a well-oiled marketing department that invests millions into talent acquisition, forecasting and planning, consumer insights, metrics and analytics because reasons haha....

Jan 20, 2019
You can anouance a release of one game even 1 month before, as long as your marketing is good the internet will do the job for you.

And TLOU2 is the type of game that you whould know about it in less that 24 hours.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So, anyone else think TLOU2 might be able to break the 10 million mark on its first week? :)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You can anouance a release of one game even 1 month before, as long as your marketing is good the internet will do the job for you.

And TLOU2 is the type of game that you whould know about it in less that 24 hours.
That's not how it ever happens though, not with games like this. I don't see them launching this any later than october...but september would be more likely. So if it's not revealed by next month, it's 2020.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone knows spiderman, gow, uncharted, etc too, yet none of those had a marketing period like that.

God of War was exactly like that, getting its release date 3 months before launch. Spider-Man got its release date 5 months before launch. If TLOU2 is coming later this year then a June announcement would be perfectly in line with Sony's recent big titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I wish they would just announce the release date, so Geoff can finish GA planning early - don't even bother with other nominations outside of racing/sports categories...

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knows spiderman, gow, uncharted, etc too, yet none of those had a marketing period like that.

We had two trailers for God of War with no release date before a massive blowout 3-4 months before release. The Last of Us Part II has had two trailers with no release date..

Jan 20, 2019
That's not how it ever happens though, not with games like this. I don't see them launching this any later than october...but september would be more likely. So if it's not revealed by next month, it's 2020.

It doesn't happen because this companys spend 100M on a game and they make sure it does not fail, how ever, their are titles that can afford this.

Titles like Fifa, Cod or GTA for example, TLOU2 is one of does titles.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
My heart's telling me it is this year but my mind is telling me early 2020. I've also heard Ghost of Tsushima is supposed to close out the PS4 this gen when it's all said and done (I believe it'll be a launch title for PS5).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hypothetically if all of the Big 3 are coming out next year, then top that with whatever the PS5 launches with then it could possibly be the best year for PlayStation games ever.

Still, I'm going to guess one of them will be coming this year.

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope so. I'll be buying it on PS4 then and coming to you both for refunds if this isn't the case :p
*gulps*

I'd be pretty disappointed myself.

My heart's telling me it is this year but my mind is telling me early 2020. I've also heard Ghost of Tsushima is supposed to close out the PS4 this gen when it's all said and done (I believe it'll be a launch title for PS5).
I can see it being a September release next year. Or it could just end up being a cross gen launch in November when PS5 launches.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetically if all of the Big 3 are coming out next year, then top that with whatever the PS5 launches with then it could possibly be the best year for PlayStation games ever.

Still, I'm going to guess one of them will be coming this year.
I think it's more likely 1 will come after the PS5. Cross-gen release though, not just PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's more likely 1 will come after the PS5. Cross-gen release though, not just PS5.

Hmm, you think one of the Big 3 might be a 2021 release? I suppose anything's possible, but I'm willing to wager we'll have all 3 before the end of next year.

Not a chance.

If it's released in November this year, I could see 5 million though, especially if it's bundled.
No, there is no exclusive that did that much.

lol, maybe 10 mil in a week is a wee bit ambitious. Still, given that the PS4 will be over 100 million by then, the amount of people who bought the original and the outlandishly ludicrous marketing campaign I can imagine Sony will put behind this game I think it's at least a safe bet that TLOU2 will overtake Spider-Man as the fastest selling PS exclusive. If Sony does a simultaneous launch with the PS4 slim bundled with TLOU2 at a lower price (be it $199 or $249) then it'll be pandemonium.

I do have to wonder if the amount of people who will wait to play the superior PS5 version will be significant enough to affect the sales. If it's coming this year then I'm guessing no, but if it's coming early to mid next year then maybe? I know I'm 100% waiting for the PS5 to play Cyberpunk, but I'm torn as far as TLOU2 is concerned. I'm deeply paranoid about spoilers and don't think I could wait several months to a year for the PS5 version.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
You guys ...TLOU2 is going to be the biggest Playstation exclusive of all time.

It's also going score immensely high on Metacritic. It will burst through God Of War and Spider-man within 5 months

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
You guys ...TLOU2 is going to be the biggest Playstation exclusive of all time.

It's also going score immensely high on Metacritic. It will burst through God Of War and Spider-man within 5 months

Don't think TLOU 2 will sell as fast as Spider-Man, the latter did 9 million copies as of November 25th and Spider-Man is way more family friendly and can reach a bigger and more diverse audience than TLOU 2. TLOU 2 will 100% sell a lot, that's a given, but doing more than 10 million copies in two months is a lot.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, you think one of the Big 3 might be a 2021 release? I suppose anything's possible, but I'm willing to wager we'll have all 3 before the end of next year.

lol, maybe 10 mil in a week is a wee bit ambitious. Still, given that the PS4 will be over 100 million by then, the amount of people who bought the original and the outlandishly ludicrous marketing campaign I can imagine Sony will put behind this game I think it's at least a safe bet that TLOU2 will overtake Spider-Man as the fastest selling PS exclusive. If Sony does a simultaneous launch with the PS4 slim bundled with TLOU2 at a lower price (be it $199 or $249) then it'll be pandemonium.

I do have to wonder if the amount of people who will wait to play the superior PS5 version will be significant enough to affect the sales. If it's coming this year then I'm guessing no, but if it's coming early to mid next year then maybe? I know I'm 100% waiting for the PS5 to play Cyberpunk, but I'm torn as far as TLOU2 is concerned. I'm deeply paranoid about spoilers and don't think I could wait several months to a year for the PS5 version.
Yeah, I think 1 of Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima will probably be shooting for late 2020 - early 2021, I guess GoT would be more likely to be pushed to early 2021 or around PS5's release (possible same day even, but I don't think Sony would delay it just for PS5).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Fuckit, I'll revise my earlier guess and go with TLOU2 selling 10 million copies in 1 month.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Don't think TLOU 2 will sell as fast as Spider-Man, the latter did 9 million copies as of November 25th and Spider-Man is way more family friendly and can reach a bigger and more diverse audience than TLOU 2. TLOU 2 will 100% sell a lot, that's a given, but doing more than 10 million copies in two months is a lot.

While I agree it might not sell as much as Spider-man, not being family friendly is not the deal-breaker. GTA and COD have insane sales not being family friendly and sell more than Spidey.

Fuckit, I'll revise my earlier guess and go with TLOU2 selling 10 million copies in 1 month.

There is no way this is happening. I think the best you can expect is selling close to Spidey numbers which means around 8-9 million in 2 months. Spidey will be the biggest exclusive for some time I think. Would love to be wrong though.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I don't know if it will do 10 million in a month, but I can definitely see it selling faster than Spider-Man. It's probably the most wanted game on the console.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'll gladly be proven wrong, but I just can't see Sony staying completely silent on their biggest remaining PS4 game for like a year only to suddenly drop a trailer and release date which puts the game just 3-4 months away. I'm expecting to see something in July or August with an early 2020 window, and then a definitive date in December (hopefully at a PSX).
At the same time, they've been stringing us along for years now. We know what TLOU 2 is. We've seen gameplay, we've seen multiple trailers, we've had panels over the course of multiple years. We don't really need a 9+ month lead-up to its release. Not having the release date being only 3-4 months out whenever they announce it would feel like the weird thing to me.