• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always been team 2019. It just makes sense when you compare their past E3 gameplay reveal to release time frames with their tent pole titles (UC4, TLOU). ND in recent years has followed a pretty similar template of announcements or reveals. That said, things could of course change or be delayed. We shall see.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2 barely started development when it was announced just a little over two years ago. We only saw one snippet of game play since then. I'd be shocked if it comes out this year.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I've always been team 2019. It just makes sense when you compare their past E3 gameplay reveal to release time frames with their tent pole titles (UC4, TLOU). ND in recent years has followed a pretty similar template of announcements or reveals. That said, things could of course change or be delayed. We shall see.
But i think there was a three year gap between the gameplay showcase and the final release date.

Meanwhile it is not even 3 years since last of us 2 announcement

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I still think it's a 2020 game, didn't u4 got delayed like 3 times? You never know with naughty dog.

Feraligatre

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I've given a lot of thought to this since last E3, and I really think here is the release windows of Sony's big 4:

Days Gone Q2 2019 - Obviously this has been confirmed. I fully believe the game would have been ready to go in February and the game was only pushed to give it some breathing room. While I'm hopeful the game will be a pleasant surprise, it hasn't had the strongest press schedule, and I'm sure had it released in February Anthem and The Division 2 would have eaten it alive.

Ghost of Tsushima Q3 2019 - Sucker Punch is much further along than people give them credit for. Remember, Second Son came out in Q1 2014, it was the first major release following the console launch. While they did follow up with Infamous: First Light, it was an standalone expansion that would only have required a select core group of developers while the rest of the team moved into production on Ghost. This game has been incubating for years. Don't let the late announcement of Ghost of Tsushima fool you, they're ready to go this year.

The Last of Us Part 2 Q3 2020: I'm certain if this were coming this year, we would absolutely have a release date by now? If it were coming in 2019, the only two areas where it could feasibly be released, given Sony's business model is either March - June, or September. In the case of the former, if it were coming out this period, we would have had a PSX 2018 in which TLOU closed the show with a release date, or at the very least closing the VGAs with a release date. In the case of September, it would have at the very latest been confirmed at E3 2019. But Sony's already stated they won't be holding a conference. As soon as they announced they won't be talking this year is when it became clear TLOU will not be releasing in it 2019. People can say what they want, but It's their biggest title by far, and just like it's predecessor, will be marked as the swan song of the PlayStation 4. The release date will be shown along with another trailer at PSX 2019. Please stop thinking it will be released in 2019 because you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment. Be happy Sony has the foresight to let Naughty Dog move at their own pace and release titles only when they're absolutely ready.

Death Stranding Q4 (Sept.) 2020 - still a PS4 title. Think GTAV coming to 360/PS3 at the end of the console's life. Keep in mind the install base of the PS4 in 2020 will be well over 100 million units. There's still plenty of reason to sell games and hardware up to and even past the launch of the PS4's successor. If it weren't obvious that this game is running on PS4 hardware I might be able to see it releasing Q2 2021 (Remember, Sony loves Q2 because it will push console bundles and interest through the summer until the holiday's third party titles), but I truly believe this is a PS4 game (with the potential of seeing a quick turnaround PS5 port).

And to add to that, I have absolutely no doubt the PS5 will release in November 2020. The announcement will come via a dedicated event in Q2 2020.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But i think there was a three year gap between the gameplay showcase and the final release date.

Meanwhile it is not even 3 years since last of us 2 announcement

The Last of Us announcement trailer - Dec 2011
The Last of Us gameplay reveal - E3 2012
The Last of Us release date - June 2013
1.5 years from announcement to release, roughly 1 year from gameplay reveal to release.

Uncharted 4 announcement trailer - E3 2014
Uncharted 4 gameplay reveal - Dec 2014
Uncharted 4 release date - March 2016 (with a slight delay)
2 years from announcement to release, roughly 1 year from gameplay reveal to release.

The Last of Us 2 announcement trailer - Dec 2016
The Last of Us 2 gameplay reveal - E3 2018
The Last of Us release date -??

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Uncharted 4 announcement trailer - E3 2014
Uncharted 4 gameplay reveal - Dec 2014
Uncharted 4 release date - March 2016 (with a slight delay)
2 years from announcement to release, roughly 1 year from gameplay reveal to release.

We aren't counting that Uncharted tease at the launch of the PS4 in Nov 2013, are we?

The one where Sam Drake's voiceover made it seem like he'd be the bad guy (before Amy left and the story got re-written).

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We aren't counting that Uncharted tease at the launch of the PS4 in Nov 2013, are we?

The one where Sam Drake's voiceover made it seem like he'd be the bad guy (before Amy left and the story got re-written).

I didn't count that, hell I didn't even remember it lol. I counted it from the official announcement trailer of Drake washing up on shore.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Nah, the moment Sony moved Days Gone to the middle of 2019 it said that they are not planning to launch TLOU2 this year

Days Gone is late April, not "middle of 2019."

They could do Days Gone in April and give TLOU2 about the same slot they did for Spider-Man, in early September.

Early enough to avoid CoD and whatever other fall titles, as well as early enough to get a nice bundle around Black Friday.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that they are still hiring multiplayer game designers, I think 2019 is out of the question.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017

That was Amy's version on Uncharted 4. I think the game basically got scrapped and they started from scratch when Neil and Bruce took over.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see that happen but if that were the case, Days Gone sales would be cannibalized. It's a miscalculation and an insult to Bend to release TLoU2 in 2019 presumably in September (Outbreak Day commemoration and before big 3rd party holiday titles arrive) when DG releases in late April. I see either GoT or more likely Death Stranding releasing this year rather than TLoU2.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to end up being early 2020 when all is said and done. I'd be shocked if it made it out this fall.

haolee510

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
It's gonna be Death Stranding, then TLoU2, then GoT. Late 2019, early 2020, mid-late 2020, respectively.

I'm willing to bet good money on this.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they're efficient but not wizards, I'm actually putting it on early 2021 for that final delay for polish

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. There have been years where Sony has not released a big first party title in the Fall before but this late into the gen seems unlikely. I am not expecting GoT or DS this year, I feel they are further behind in development than Naughty Dog but thats just an assumption on my part. Im gonna say TLOU2 will be a late release in PS4's lifecycle just like the first was for PS3's.

That is not an intelligent answer.

We're not getting both games this year, unlikely to get even one.
You're gonna counter the dudes sound judgement and reason with this paper-thin statement? Come on.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
TLoU2 fall 2019 sounds good to me, Hope its true.

Its hard to tell from the outside which of their games are closest to release but TLoU2 is the one Im the most excited about, Im not really worried about Days Gone getting sent out to die since its half a year in between if both are coming this year.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I really hope TLOU2 is coming out in October/November this year.

If for nothing else, to shut down the arguments of "Sony doesn't release big stuff in the fall".

Spiderman, GT Sport, Knack 2, TLG etc. disprove this theory, but people keep throwing it out there.

Hopefully TLOU2 or Death Stranding is coming out this fall so this silliness can finally end.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
2019 sounds rushed, only 2 years after Lost Legacy? I'd be seriously worried about the game in that case.

You do realize that ND has two internal teams, one that worked on The Last of Us while UC3 development was in progress. Lost Legacy was done by one of the two teams, your comment screams ignorance when you say shit like sounds rushed 2019. Last of Us released in 2013, 6 years of total development which would include pre production/concept art work to production sounds rushed to you? By all means ND should take as much time as they want to get the best sequel out there though!

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that ND has two internal teams, one that worked on The Last of Us while UC3 development was in progress. Lost Legacy was done by one of the two teams

That is not entirely true.

Lost Legacy looks up to the quality fans now expect from Naughty Dog - but you guys are also working on The Last of Us 2. How many people are working on Lost Legacy now? How much of the studio?

Escayg: Right now, the studio's focus is Lost Legacy. We have a truly ambitious schedule. The Last of Us [project] is working but at a lot slower pace right now. The entire team is on Lost Legacy - that's a couple hundred of us strong.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-naughty-dog-on-lost-legacy-and-the-future-of-uncharted

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
2019 sounds rushed, only 2 years after Lost Legacy? I'd be seriously worried about the game in that case.
More like 2-3 years. 2 year of production, 1 year of pre-production which started after U4 in 2016. 2019 feels like it would be their target year like 2015 was to U4. With U4 they asked Shawn Layden for a delay because they needed a bit more time since they were in full on crunch mode (game was developed in like 1-2 years, 1 year if they had to release it in 2015). So with that in mind, a 2020 delay is not completely off the cards but with the way GOW and Detroit's release dates were announced, I believe ND wont reveal a release date until the game is ready to ship within the following 3-6 months after the announcement.

Last edited:

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
I only just finished Last of Us today, and it was great but it doesn't need a sequel. Won't hurt it, and I trust they'll do a good story, but it was a great stand alone experience.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I could handle a surprise early April launch. It would help me to pass on the pending Days Gone disaster.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I only just finished Last of Us today, and it was great but it doesn't need a sequel. Won't hurt it, and I trust they'll do a good story, but it was a great stand alone experience.
Yeah it didn't need one and I would've been ok with the decision if they just went straight to a new IP, but I'm not gonna be mad and say no to more Last of Us and Joel/Ellie!

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
It's May 2020. Playable with the same disc on Ps4 and Ps5 (when it launches, full backwards compatible).