• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
The thing is, I personally didn't like the game much either. It's not a thematic or genre I prefer. You won't find me singing its praises here. I do recognize its high quality though. So you get out with painting me as some mindless simp who can't take any criticism of this game.
The game has no terrible writing. When the terrible wrinting claim is thrown around, and it is and was thrown around foremost by certain circles of the internet, it is never properly explained.
How about you explain it to us then?

Even if i explain to you it doesn't matter because it's subjective, but it gives you no right to imply people criticizing the writing here comes from the "same circles that called Abby trans and mocked her and that were homophobic about Ellie's and Dina's relationship." unless there's a clear indication of that. I personally feel the dialogue in the game is great, but the story structure completely destroys the pacing and the Abby/Lev relationship felt very TLoU 1 wannabe and out of character for her.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We ever hear any more sales numbers on this? Really hope the trolls didn't hurt it
Sony stays quiet about giving sales numbers for games outside of bigger launches and milestone numbers, so we won't know until it gets the 10 million mark most likely, but based on raw numbers, it might be right about there now. Either way, trolls didn't do anything.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Even if i explain to you it doesn't matter because it's subjective, but it gives you no right to imply people criticizing the writing here comes from the "same circles that called Abby trans and mocked her and that were homophobic about Ellie's and Dina's relationship." unless there's a clear indication of that. I personally feel the dialogue in the game is great, but the story structure completely destroys the pacing and the Abby/Lev relationship felt very TLoU 1 wannabe and out of character for her.

Yes, I do have the right to not just imply, but to state that the "terrible writing" claim, especially with no real explanation for it whatsoever, came mainly from those circles, because it did. That were the three things they peddled ad nauseam: Abby, Ellie+Dina and terrible writing.

There sure are things to criticize about the writing, but it being absolutely terrible is a very strong, hyperbolic claim. That better be explained.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I do have the right to not just imply, but to state that the "terrible writing" claim, especially with no real explanation for it whatsoever, came mainly from those circles, because it did. That were the three things they peddled ad nauseam: Abby, Ellie+Dina and terrible writing.

There sure are things to criticize about the writing, but it being absolutely terrible is a strong, hyperbolic claim. That better be explained.

I'm amazed you've doubled down on "I didn't like the game much but my motives are pure, anyone else's criticism is alt right trash tho"

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
So I'm not even really sure what their point was.
My point is that HZD and MO are stronger competition than GoT And Hades. So you find that the latter two got more votes than the former. Can we look at this as a percentage? Did they get a greater percentage of the votes than the former? And did TLoU2 get more votes as a percentage than BotW?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that HZD and MO are stronger competition than GoT And Hades. So you find that the latter two got more votes than the former. Can we look at this as a percentage? Did they get a greater percentage of the votes than the former? And did TLoU2 get more votes as a percentage than BotW?

It's not possible to calculate percentages right now because Part II was at 261 when this thread was started while it's at 264 now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to wait to see when every award is tallied.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
What on earth am I doing wrong because I find the Witcher 3 not fun and very confusing. Someone help.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth am I doing wrong because I find the Witcher 3 not fun and very confusing. Someone help.
Don't worry, you are not alone. I will suffer through bad gamplay for a good story, so I finished it and even played through the DLCs. But other than decent writing here and there it doesn't really offer anything revolutionary like I have seen many proclaim. To be fair, when the writing is good it is really good. It also pretty, especially on PC.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why people are mentioning Zelda breath of the wild. It didn't win as much votes as the Witcher 3. So it should be disqualified from the conversation.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny seeing this after listening to all of the Giant Bomb GOTY stuff. LoU2 yeeted out of the top 10.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. People actually say that? And claim to know anything about good writing?

Character didn't do the thing that I, with my non-writing ass, would have made them do = bad writing

People could subjectively criticise the overall execution of the game because we all have our preferences. Attacking the "writing" is dumb as hell and is clearly taking cues from the Star Wars sequel trilogy "fandom". At least they had decades of lore and shit on their side. What do these people know about what young adult Ellie and chilled out Joel would do in this game other than what they show you?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Naughty Dog give us a story driven cyberpunk game now.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
where's that picture with Joel explaining his reason why he save Ellie, lol. I still can't tell if that's serious or someone making fun of the hater.
q00i710p22751.jpg

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I mean, it's not half as good as The Witcher 3, but ok.
Yep, it's not half as good. It's twice as good. :P

Anyways... Disappointingly, but not surprising was trying to find youtube discussion videos about the game afterwards and being inundated with videos titled 'Naughty Dog BETRAYS it's fans with TLOU2', 'Abby's Voice Actor HATES what they did with her character'. Most likely all from neckbearded fuckheads.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It was the game that I'd rate as best of the generation, finally beating The Witcher 3 for me (which I previously had at the top), so very well deserved IMHO.

I have Ghost of Tsushima and Red Dead Redemption 2 in third and fourth respectively, FWIW.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Well, well deserved. It's very intriguing to see it surpass TW3 especially in the context of target audiences and accessibility, and how they relate to critical success.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Witcher 3 down. But will it catch TLoU Pt1?

edit: by the way, tallying user awards do not count vs earlier years which had vastly fewer user awards handed out.