• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I recently got PS Now and started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's nice, not a bad game at all. Then I realised The Lost Legacy was about to leave Now so I've been quickly blasting through that and holy shit, the contrast going from one to the other shows the difference up. It's stark as hell. What Sony first parties are doing, and Naughty Dog especially, is fucking remarkable. Not only on a technical visual level but in terms of just oozing quality in every area. The games feel virtually generations apart to be honest. TLOU1 still reeks of quality even now, TLOU2 is going to blow minds. God help us for PS5 first party games.

Just played The Lost Legacy. It's insane how many of those "help me lift this thing up" scenes there are. I know there was gonna be a lot, but with all of the fuss about the PS5, I started to pay a lot more attention to every instance that was hiding the loading. And man, they do it a lot in that game, and they have to with all of the crazy vistas and ancient ruins they gotta show. There's one part of the game where it's like The Price is Right with different loading screen garage door things hiding amazing visuals. And then it just got me dreaming about what ND is gonna do now that they don't have to play The Price is Right on the PS5 to blow our minds.

ND should just make a Storage Wars game where the storage containers are portals to beautiful cliffsides.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Critiquing the graphics based on these screenshots will be met with hostility, but fuck it.

I'm sure compression plays a factor, but this is riddled with muddy textures, average LOD, bad film grain. Im just no longer impressed by wet cloth and surfaces or sad/mad face expressions. If these are PS4 Pro shots, the above problems will obviously be worse on the base console.

Although it does get close to RDR2 on Xbox One X, but well below it on PC. I also like the look of Control better, especially with raytracing effects and the new DLSS 2.0. Metro Exodus as well i think is a bit better than this.

Story-wise, im sure it will be awesome. Since The Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time, TLOU2 will most likely make it in my top 3 lol.

Annotation-2020-04-03-141043.png

This will tell you all you need to know about the IQ here, textures and LOD look bad when the image is compressed.
Disagree about the rest though, Metro has impressive RT GI but that's about it, Control looks better but this still has a pretty obvious fidelity jump. RDR2 is impressive for an open world game similarly how this is impressive for non-open world game.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks incredible. What sells the character models as highly realistic are the eyes for sure, ND completely nailed them with all the little touches.

Maybe I'll use isolation time to finally start the first game

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
First game I am gonna try on Easy first. TLOU1 was too tense for Normal difficulty for me.

Opposite for me - I usually play on normal the first time, but TLOU is so special, I'm starting with Hard. I want full immersion. If it gets too hard, I can switch back.

Mar 29, 2018
Opposite for me - I usually play on normal the first time, but TLOU is so special, I'm starting with Hard. I want full immersion. If it gets too hard, I can switch back.
Same. The gut-wrenching immersion of the high difficulties in the first game is unparalleled. Feeling that in a first-time playthrough is unreal, compared to Normal (and even Hard to an extent) which was almost a cakewalk.

The only issue will be if this game has a ton of new mechanics/systems, which might be frustrating to try and learn when the enemies give you no quarter.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Same. The gut-wrenching immersion of the high difficulties in the first game is unparalleled. Feeling that in a first-time playthrough is unreal, compared to Normal (and even Hard to an extent) which was almost a cakewalk.

The only issue will be if this game has a ton of new mechanics/systems, which might be frustrating to try and learn when the enemies give you no quarter.

Yes, I am worried too, but I want to soak it all in and don't mind if I go through the game very slowly. I must admit, the first time I played the first part, it wasn't exactly easy for me - though I did end up finishing the game on hard with no problems on the second playthrough. So, we'll see - but I want to soak every detail, even the fear. I remember in the first part, that scene where you have to activate that portable generator in the hotel basement - my heart was pumping, it was late at night, it was dark outside, and I ended up shouting at the TV just to get through it (didn't live with anyone at the time, lol, now I think my wife would have a problem with me shouting that late :) But I still remember the experience today.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Just played The Lost Legacy. It's insane how many of those "help me lift this thing up" scenes there are. I know there was gonna be a lot, but with all of the fuss about the PS5, I started to pay a lot more attention to every instance that was hiding the loading. And man, they do it a lot in that game, and they have to with all of the crazy vistas and ancient ruins they gotta show. There's one part of the game where it's like The Price is Right with different loading screen garage door things hiding amazing visuals. And then it just got me dreaming about what ND is gonna do now that they don't have to play The Price is Right on the PS5 to blow our minds.

ND should just make a Storage Wars game where the storage containers are portals to beautiful cliffsides.

It was on my mind in my TLOU playthrough last week as well. The poor 512 MB of RAM the PS3 had are so obvious. t's not just the pallets and crates and boost me ups, some smaller encounters or "that dude grabbed me" moments must exist for the same reasons.

Imagine cutting quickly from Joel to Ellie during the blizzard and steakhouse fight. Or instead of the help icon you get short close-up glimpses of your AI partner being attacked while you rush towards them.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The comparison of game graphics to movie CG is silly. Even if superficially some game might look CG sometimes, they will never catch up because the whole approach is completely different. Games render usually 30 frames per second. In Frozen, there was a single frame that took 132 hours to render on Disney's farm of supercomputers.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Digital Foundry (or rather someone of their team) already last time when the previews and screens were released mentioned something is weird about the promo shots they put out. They are not as crisp and high resolution as the gameplay footage we have seen so far.
For some completely odd reason, their last batch of "captured on PS4pro" shots were really obviously 1080p. Like, internally 1080p. Which made no sense.

TBH, the edge quality in these also makes me think that. I have not counted though.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For some completely odd reason, their last batch of "captured on PS4pro" shots were really obviously 1080p. Like, internally 1080p. Which made no sense.

TBH, the edge quality in these also makes me think that. I have not counted though.
What do you mean? Could you explain that to us?

I think thats the difference between a regular gamer and a tech guy. Im blown away by the screenshots and you are going to count the pixels :D

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

I think thats the difference between a regular gamer and a tech guy. Im blown away by the screenshots and you are going to count the pixels :D

Could be PS4 shots...they are definitely not downsampled and the original rendering may be 1080p which would make zero sense of PS4 Pro

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'm not being difficult, but as someone who only recently played through the remaster, I kind of consider this a

The fact that Joel is shown alive and well in these.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
The graphics seem amazing but it's true that image quality is not great. I blame this on the compression but it looks like upscaled 720p images.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I mean we're talking about pictures really compressed. That's only okay to lose some details.
That's why the videos don't suffer from this.

I'm sure the game will not be blurry in any way. Look at those eyes, faces, etc.
None of this is prerendered right? The first one was...but the fact this is realtime...i can only imagine my PS4. Btw...with this delay, we'll be playing this during summer months. How many PS4 are gonna die with this game? And we still have Ghost during the summer as well, lmao

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Sadly these screens are not highquality or the right resolution to do pixel counting from really.

to explain it more simply - last time TLOU 2 screens were released, they were 4K, but internally... as in the rendering resolution... 1080p. Which is obviously a mistake or a mislabel or something, since TLOU2 on PS4pro is supposed to be 1440p. So some sort of PR mess up.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sadly these screens are not highquality or the right resolution to do pixel counting from really.

to explain it more simply - last time TLOU 2 screens were released, they were 4K, but internally... as in the rendering resolution... 1080p. Which is obviously a mistake or a mislabel or something, since TLOU2 on PS4pro is supposed to be 1440p. So some sort of PR mess up.
Cool, thanks!

edit: and glad to see you didnt give up on us/era

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
what if it's like all these dudes are working from home and someone didn't have the proper capture software to get these screens in their native resolution? what's the likelihood of that happening?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Yep, that's how I remember DF's coverage of the previous footage of the game. I hope it is a PR mess up because the ramifications of it not being that may be more unpleasant.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

what could have happened? the IQ is bad in the bright screens, nowhere near the rain shot.

it seems a load of post process + compression + miscapture.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Gematsu has 4k-sized images. Definitely looks like the last native 1080p batch.

www.gematsu.com

April 2, 2020

Visit the post for more.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Gematsu has 4k-sized images. Definitely looks like the last native 1080p batch.

www.gematsu.com

April 2, 2020

Visit the post for more.

Oh wow! You're absolutely correct. Did a side by side comparison and yea, those images look far more of what'd be expected for a 1440p title.

In retrospect, it's all the more bizarre given those 1080p shots came from Playstation US's website.

Well, that puts my mind at ease regarding IQ. Thanks Ser Benzodiazepine

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the link.

countvek4z.png

20 from 30 count. So 1440p.

So that is just what the image quality looks like.
Yea it looks like they went a bit overboard with the post-processing kinda like Arkham Knight, and the image quality didn't bother me in that despite bothering others.
Either way I'm waiting to play it on the PS5.