• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Digital version of games should cost less since there is no packaging/shipment cost involved, not the other way around. Even if they can't release the physical version due to the current state of the world, making this a more expensive digital only release would be a bad decision which is why I was puzzled by your suggestion.

I wasnt suggesting they do that, although I can see how badly it was worded. I meant I'd pay extra just to play it but it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the full and rather expensive Space Pirate Captain Harlock film from 2013:
TLOU2 absolutely does not match Captain Hurlock. Let alone films like Monsters University which released the same year.Let's play a game called: Guess which one is being rendered in realtime on 2013 hardware.
1024full-harlock%3A-space-pirate-%28space-pirate-captain-harlock%29-%282013%29-screenshot.jpg

as4.jpg

monstersuniversityhd_pub.jpg

EUno-4AXsAIj9mm.jpg

2020 games can more or less do this now at more than 24 fps.
No they can't. ESPECIALLY not on consoles. We're literally getting a FF game in a week. And the asset quality is nowhere near this.

Even the PC version of The Fallen Order ain´t too far off from the The Old Republic reveal trailer
Yes it is lmao. It's extremely far off. Y'all need to actually watch the films in question before name dropping them.

The new REmakes are about on the level of Resident Evil: Damnation (2012) and so on.
No they are not.
resident_evil_damnation_fullres_2.jpg

fqtvpme70c221.png

Direct comparisons to CGI only highlight the flaws of realtime rendering. And if we're talking a deliberate attempt at photorealism....

2736_12_large.jpg

1495795422-potc2-20686-l.jpg

Games simply don't look like this.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Someone else already posted this theory, but I think Sony was planning a trailer during a SoP around this time. The fact that we got 5 indie game announcements today also backs that up.
Yeah it was coming up to about that time for another SoP so that sounds plausible.
They just delayed the game. Why should they release another trailer? To make people even more angry/sad?
This trailer would have been made months in advance and will the game previous ~ 2 months away it would have been the time to release. Obviously the delays has also pushed back the trailer as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if when that trailer does eventually drop we'll see that all these scenes come from that trailer. Just my hunch because looking at all the other screenshots on the site all but 2-3 are ripped directly from trailers.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Joel has different hair length in these two pictures, right? Flashback or passage of time?

the-last-of-us-ii-screenshot-14-en-us-25mar20

EUno-4AXsAIj9mm.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god no games look as shit as Avatar.
If Avatar is supposed to look like shit then every game by default looks like shit because there's literally not a single game that looks as good as avatar..literally, not a single game. 👀

I'm not even a super big fan of this movie. It just looks better than any game that exists atm. Stop being disingenuous.

Last edited:

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Did they change Ellie's face? Looks a little more aged than the E3 stuff.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Perhaps the images are too compressed, or it'll look better in motion, but it honestly doesn't look that good to me.

Yeah same. The game looks good, but it's not blowing my mind away like the initial trailer reveal was. Will be interesting to see what they had to sacrifice.

I'd say Ghost of Tsuchima is looking a bit better within gameplay itself hmm

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Avatar is supposed to look like shit then every game by default looks like shit because there's literally not a single game that looks as good as avatar..literally, not a single game. 👀

I'm not even a super big fan of this movie. It just looks better than any game that exists atm. Stop being disingenuous.
You don't have to take everything so literally. Regardless of its technical prowess, I don't think it looks good. Notice that I didn't comment on Davy Jones.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It really is a shame that this game isn't coming out when it was supposed to.

You don't have to take everything so literally. Regardless of its technical prowess, I don't think it looks good. Notice that I didn't comment on Davy Jones.
You can not like it, but by every metric we can judge rendering as good or not good, Avatar straight up beats every game still. It's not just down to technical prowess. There are so many elements of that movie that people don't even REALIZE is CGI because it fits so seamlessly into the scenes. Avatar was such a pretty film that it literally started a cult because people were so moved by the visuals.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The post effects seem a little too strong to anyone else? I usually not only don't mind Film Grain, but I enjoy it, but it seems a tad too noticeable here. Maybe in movement it's not as much.

Hope we can at least disable chromatic aberration.
i always disable the grain effect, and yes, it's too much in these screenshot.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Those screens look incredible. I'm kind of more curious as to what happens in Jackson now. It initially looks like Dina, would have thought something might have happened to the asian dude instead early but looks like he's in a scene that's looks more worn and scars. So maybe something does happen to Dina after all. Or it's a character that we haven't yet seen yet like Maria hence Tommy's visit.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Those screens look incredible. I'm kind of more curious as to what happens in Jackson now. It initially looks like Dina, would have thought something might have happened to the asian dude instead early but looks like he's in a scene that's looks more worn and scars. So maybe something does happen to Dina after all. Or it's a character that we haven't yet seen yet like Maria hence Tommy's visit.
Ellie apparently has a dog in this game and I stg if Ellie's motivation is fueled by the death of her dog I will be by her side every step of the fucking way.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
It's very impressive technically.
But I expect more from the locations, I hope thay are hiding their stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Punished Joel looking good

this looks incredible.

look at this pic and realize all the hysteria over tflops in next-gen threads will mean nothing in the long run.
the-last-of-us-ii-screenshot-06-en-us-25mar20

kgEtqabEBNdF2QwKRohUu9.jpg

We've barely scratched the surface of what's possible for next gen. People are gonna be talking real different when next gen is revealed in 2021.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Very worried about what happens between this:
the-last-of-us-state-of-play-screen-01-ps4-us-24sep19

EUnpTqNWoAArVHb

And this:

EUnpTqCXgAon28u

EUno-4AXsAIj9mm

They both look like they've aged 10 years between these two sets of shots.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Joel aged more in the 5 years between Part 1 and 2 than in the 20 years after Sarah died and he met Ellie

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny when you remember Avatar is eleven years old. The quality of its CGI was in another dimension.
Hell, Pirates 2 is 15 years old and still outclasses any video game by a landslide.

Control looks like CGI for moments.
Very limited moments, but still not as good as CGI. Quantum Break did too but was limited by realtime rendering. i've made more than a few posts about just how crazy things have improved this gen but I try to take care not to compare it directly to CG. The essential thing is that we need new hardware.