• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cookturkey

Nov 10, 2018
Not sure how some of you guys are giving Sony a free pass on this and will still be throwing your money at the PS5.

It's flat out wrong that so many people upgraded their PS4 for a pro and are now left with consoles that are louder than their TV.

This objectively poorly designed hardware will be the sole reason I'm moving to Xbox next gen and Sony should be getting a lot more criticism than they have done.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how some of you guys are giving Sony a free pass on this and will still be throwing your money at the PS5.

It's flat out wrong that so many people upgraded their PS4 for a pro and are now left with consoles that are louder than their TV.

This objectively poorly designed hardware will be the sole reason I'm moving to Xbox next gen and Sony should be getting a lot more abuse than they have done for so far for this.

I love both systems, but to be fair my launch PS4 is still going strong but I am on my 3rd Xbox One X (all had to be swapped within the warranty period)

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Man my ps4 pro sounds loud as fuck now, i can only imagine last of us 2.

I just moved my ps4 into a new space so it could get more air too lmao

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
LOL horrible.

But I have headphones, and I honestly don't think about the noise for any of the big hitters. I would love for my pro to not sound like a busted radiator, but I'll be lost in TLOU2 sound design with headphones more than anything.

For anyone playing with a great surround sound stereo set up though, you'll be in my thoughts.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
It's a pain but easily avoidable by just wearing headphones and or turning on a fan in the room. I couldn't imagine waiting till the PS5 just due to fan noise.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm knida interested to see how loud it would get on my pro. I just cleaned it and replaced the thermal paste.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So I played thoua

This objectively poorly designed hardware will be the sole reason I'm moving to Xbox next gen and Sony should be getting a lot more criticism than they have done.
This issue was addressed by Cerny in the road to ps5 talk and it's been indicated that they designed the console not to do that.
Clearly the ps4 wasn't intentionally designed like this.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
That's the 7200 model? I'm always wondering if jet engine owners are early adopters or if all models get loud eventually.

My Pro is 3 years old and still pretty quiet only GOW Menu make it go loud.

Yo know why is not getting more criticism?

Is pretty easy, many people just don't suffer of this issue (like me) or just don't see it as a big deal to care.

Telling the people how they should act based on your personal experience is flat out wrong.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
yeah switching back and forth between a launch pro and a launch X1X, the Pro fan is definietly a lot more active.
I'm kinda glad I'll be playing my last few (probably) PS4 games during Brisbane, Australia winter weather (basically english summer). Always felt like the pro was going to melt in summer here.

that would be a nice reason to get a PS5 if the thing's silent.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I can't even imagine. My PRO can BAAARRRREEELLLYYY function doing anything other than running COD WARZONE. If I hit the PS button the whole thing grinds to a screetching halt like an aircraft carrier on a train applying the brakes. It sounds like a 747 about to take off

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If anyone has a good jet engine TLoU mashup image I'll probably use it for my photo contest thread lol. I think I have a title for it already somewhere in a google doc

cookturkey

Nov 10, 2018
My Pro is 3 years old and still pretty quiet only GOW Menu make it go loud.

Yo know why is not getting more criticism?

Is pretty easy, many people just don't suffer of this issue (like me) or just don't see it as a big deal to care.

Telling the people how they should act based on your personal experience is flat out wrong.

Personal experience? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that there are many people that: (a) have this issue; and (b) care about it.

Flat out wrong? Holding companies to account for the sale of poor quality hardware (whether you're personally affected or not) is objectively a pro-consumer, positive course of action.

It's just incredibly frustrating to see Sony get a free pass on this (and so many other issues).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's been like that for every major game in the last years honestly. Also launch unit here. I play with headphones so I don't notice it that much, but for most games the Pro sounds like it's going to take off. At weird times too. Like if I'm in the weapon skill upgrade menu in FF7R I'd suddenly get a noise spike, and I remember that also happened in Nioh's menus. Those are not really visually intense areas so I don't know what triggers it.

If my system survives both TLOU 2 and Ghost I'm gonna be happy. I sure hope PS5 is quieter.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
let's go!!

200.gif

rude

Oct 25, 2017
My Pro doesn't make a sound and I bought it day of release. I am TRULY blessed beyond belief.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
If its that bad on a PRO, i can only imagine what its going to be like on my launch ps4.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You know Elly, playing this game really might be the Last of Us[able] PS4 consoles.

Mar 22, 2019
Just played through TLOU: Remastered on my PS4Pro, was fine - booted up Uncharted 4 and whooosh the jet engine kicks in at the MAIN MENU. Quit out of it quickly as its too annoying and I frankly dont enjoy using headphones while gaming.

Go figure.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm not buying The Last of Us 2 but reading stuff like this makes me incredibly glad I changed the fan and also redid the thermal paste and thermal pads on my PS4 Pro. The thing runs silently now, even while playing stuff like Control, MHW, God of War, etc.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
RE3 was so unpleasant to play on the Pro because it drowned out the otherwise amazing OST/sound effects.

Glad I shifted to PC instead.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
This commentary isn't a surprise to me. I just don't use my PS4 Pro anymore because of the noise. I'm still surprised at how poor the cooling is on the Pro, especially as it was a mid-gen revision with the opportunity to do better had Sony cared to do so.

I'm trusting that the PS5 will be much quieter, and I'll catch up on the PS4 era of games if that is indeed the case.

3bada

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 is Sony's plan to take the community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that they have never delivered on before... by murdering PS4's.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'll let the the offsite DCs handle the cooling and rather just enjoy TLoU2 later from PSNow.
My poor PS4 just doesn't have enough room to breath, there are dog hairs everywhere and the HDD is full anyway.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I sold my One X because it was even louder than my Pro. Thing was annoying as fuck since its not a constant cooler noice, no it's something like a wave noise. Irritating as hell.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
The pro was a shoddy console for me.

Wild fan noise, HDD clicking, refusal to read discs.

Not sure how im supposed to sell this thing later.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember the last time my launch Pro was super loud (God of War, I guess?), so I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm probably going to use headphones for my first playthrough anyway.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017

Speaking for myself: Cerny convinced me that they will fix this issue with the PS5. So I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically the fan noise makes the PS4 one of the worst consoles to play a cinematic, story-based game on. It gets loudest during cutscenes and ramps up and down in a way that's impossible to tune out. At least in a bombastic, guns-blazing action game the general chaos might drown out the fan noise, but in a slow, stealthy game like TLOU you're going to hear the fans screaming the whole time. You can turn up your sound system or headphones as much as you like but if the scene is intended to be quiet it's not going to help.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
My brother opened up his Pro, removed the dust and changed the thermal paste and apparently it's super quiet now.
I'm thinking about opening it up myself to do the same but I'm not sure I'm bothered enough to put in the effort for 2-3 more games that I will play on it before the PS5 comes out...